Arnold Palmer Stories

My encounter with Mr. Palmer was brief, but memorable. We were at the Masters Par 3 tournament in 2011. Mr. Palmer, The Golden Bear and The Black Knight reached #7 and they had a long wait so the 3 of them entertained the patrons and signed some autographs. Mr. Palmer came to the side my wife and I were sitting on. I was in the second row behind the ropes and extended my Masters pairing sheet out with hopes it would be one of the items he would sign. He seemed to be pretty selective about who he was signing for and only signed a few items so I didn't have real high hopes, but then our eyes met and it was like he was sizing me up (maybe to be sure I wasn't someone that was going to sell it). He then took the item and slowly signed his name. When he finished signing he scanned the Patrons to be sure he gave it back to the right person. I thanked him as he handed it back to me and he took the time to say your welcome. Now I know the event seems to be a simple autograph signing, but to me it was a few moments that I will remember forever, not only because of who it was, but how it happened.
608889a530f143383a5ccf8c1e8763ef.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My encounter with Mr. Palmer was brief, but memorable. We were at the Masters Par 3 tournament in 2011. Mr. Palmer, The Golden Bear and The Black Knight reached #7 and they had a long wait so the 3 of them entertained the patrons and signed some autographs. Mr. Palmer came to the side my wife and I were sitting on. I was in the second row behind the ropes and extended my Masters pairing sheet out with hopes it would be one of the items he would sign. He seemed to be pretty selective about who he was signing for and only signed a few items so I didn't have real high hopes, but then our eyes met and it was like he was sizing me up (maybe to be sure I wasn't someone that was going to sell it). He then took the item and slowly signed his name. When he finished signing he scanned the Patrons to be sure he gave it back to the right person. I thanked him as he handed it back to me and he took the time to say your welcome. Now I know the event seems to be a simple autograph signing, but to me it was a few moments that I will remember forever, not only because of who it was, but how it happened.
608889a530f143383a5ccf8c1e8763ef.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That is outstanding!! What a cool experience to take with you through the years.

I was at the 1998 Ford Senior Players Championship at TPC Dearborn. I came across the group with Mr. Palmer, who hit into a deep bunker on the left side of the green. I happened to be right behind that trap and had a ringside position for what happened next.

He went onto the green, sized up the shot, then entered the bunker. He took one last look at what little flag stick he could see, planted his feet, took two waggles of the wedge - and put it two feet from the pin.

As he left the bunker, a bunch of us commended him on his talents and moxie. He looked over, smiled and gave us the signature thumbs up as he walked to the green. I turned to my ex and said “that’s why he’s still the King!”

Awesome Thread...

1968 I was stationed in Hawaii and was able to caddy for Rod Funseth. Played the practice round and Pro Am and after the Pro Am Rod went into the locker room to see who we were playing with Thursday and Friday. Gardner Dickinson and Arnold Palmer. On the 4th hole Thursday as I was toting Rod's bag to the green, an arm wrapped around my shoulders and it was Mr. Palmer. He said "well Son, I understand you're in the Navy and play golf to a 14 handicap." I was gobsmacked....... I stammered out a "yes Mr. Palmer, that's correct."

It was an amazing experience caddying for Mr. Funseth, we made the cut. But to witness Mr. Palmer for 2 days was awesome. He talked to me, small talk, both the days we played with him.

In November 2014 I wrote Mr. Palmer a letter explaining my experience with him those 2 days in 1968. I wanted to write to him since I saw how poorly he looked at the Masters and his Bay Hill tournament that year. 2nd week in December I received a letter from Mr. Palmer stating how he was glad to have talked to me bringing back fond memories for him. Below is the letter. I remember it like it was yesterday.

3%2030%2017%20A%20Palmer%20letter%20a_zps8zofaga2.jpg

I served 6 years in the Navy as well. I have so many fond memories from those days. I only wish I had a story this cool.

I hope this thread gets updated every day with a new story!!

Thanks so much for letting us experience your Palmer stories, guys!!

I hope this thread gets updated every day with a new story!!

Thanks so much for letting us experience your Palmer stories, guys!!

Me as well. As I said, I can't get enough of these.

That's pretty impressive.

Love the stories and pictures shared by all.

Nothing to share from me, other than I really like his namesake drink. It is what I order at Chick-Fil-A everytime I go.

I lived in the Columbus, OH area briefly around 2006-07. Went to the Memorial tourney.

Jim Furyk chipped in for a birdie and the gallery let out a roar. I turned to walk away and there behind me 10 feet or so, middle of the crowd, like two regular Joes, are Mr. Palmer and Mr. Nicklaus, applauding Furyk's birdie chip.

I'll admit it - I froze up and didn't take the opportunity to speak to them. Doesn't usually happen to me around famous people but I vapor locked on that one. Amazing. I mean... at one job I had I got to introduce Archie Griffin to Lou Brock in the wings backstage at an event, but Jack and Arnie?!? I got nuthin... I'll just be over here quietly saying nothing at all if you need me. Ha.

They walked the tourney for a good while that day just shaking hands and watching golf. Very cool to see them being regular guys.

This is such a freaking cool thread. Thank you for starting this Dan!!

Back