Trying To Break 90 Club

I play a few different courses over here in Bangkok so I'm joining both the Break 90 club and Break 85 club threads. We play off whites at all courses but my hopes and expectations vary depending on the course we are playing.

For this thread I am considering the course I play most often Thana City Country Club along with some others I play occasionally like Lam Luk Ka Country Club, Royal Lakeside and Flora Ville Golf & Country Club.

I play off 20 and I've shot a couple of 91s, a few 92s and a number of 93, 94, 95 scores at these courses. I often have 4, 5, 6 pars but I always have enough bad or disaster holes to push my score over 90. Thana City can be a very frustrating course; the final 3 holes, the Shark Bite holes, really pile on the pressure when you're in with a chance of breaking that magical barrier.

Game has now officially gone off the rails. Driver thru Pitching wedge is either a Hook left OB or a Push right OB. I now can't even tell which one its going to be so I can't aim for the miss.

Played an easy course this weekend shot a 98 even worse is I lost 5 balls. The positive is the putter feel is coming back so distance control was hugely better, pitching and chipping still strong.

15 of my 20 most recent are sub 100, half of them sub 95, but only one sub 90 this year. The consistency of my scoring is better, but still leaking those 5-10 shots a round that are a waste.

I guess I've reached a goal this year of most rounds being mid 90s, but it doesn't feel like it.

Finding my way around since I am back into the game again after a few years out. Have been out on the course 3 times in the past several weeks and while I think of myself as a beginner, I have atleast some foundation that my Dad instilled in me and how to swing a club. Direction has always been my issue and after watching some youtube videos over the weekend I had what I think is a great round after only being back for a few weeks. Had quite a few great fairway shots and was hitting straighter than I have in a very long while.

Shot 47/44 yesterday afternoon with a really good chance that I would have broken 90 if I hadn't 2 putted a most of my holes. Getting 2 pars for my round yesterday was a very nice confidence boosting plus. My prior 2 rounds were 104 and 97.

I have next week off and will be out on the course every morning for a round.

Shot 45/51 today. Heat got to me on the back nine. Recovered on the last hole to par it and save breaking 100.

89 today at Tagalong in WI.

I was standing on the tee box of the par-5 18th thinking it was a lock.

I hit two OB and put up an eight.....

If the stakes were white, not red, it would've been a ten and a 91.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Must be getting used to the heat. 50/48. Still nowhere near <90.

I took two weeks off from hitting a golf ball because I was busy with work and maybe more importantly I had been playing poorly. The front 9 left me with 47. My drives were good but my approach shots were thin and not clean. I played bogey golf on the back 9 and had a couple of par Putts lip out. Then on the 15th, I carded a 6. I needed a birdie on one of the last 3 to break 90, but alas it didn’t happen. The back 9 was some of the better golf o played in the better part of a month so I got something to build off of. Just got to remember to not rush my shots!

Hopefully I’ll be able to report a sub 90 round soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Followed up my 89 with a 91 on the same course.

It seems to be coming together for me. The Smart Sole S has been pretty sweet around the greens for me, as the course I was playing had a lot of elevated greens.

Getting consistent, 48/47. Getting closer, now just need to work on my driving and keeping it in the fairway.

Well the goal was to break 85 but I couldn't quite get it done as I shot a 46/42 for an 88. This is the first time out in a month and I didn't feel like I hit them too bad! Iron play could have been a bit better and I did leave a few putts out there but I didn't miss hardly any fairways!!

I had one birdie, five par's, eight bogey's and 4 double's!

Had a really nice 41/45 = 86 round with back to back birdies which helped a bit, once the putter gets hot and I'm hitting GIR on Par 3's breaking 90 feels a lot easier.

I need consistency.

My last rounds were: 97, 91, 93, 89, 99

I had two snowmen on the last round 99.

I feel like I'm so close to not sucking, yet so far.....

Back to back league nights and shot 45 both rounds, def. bouncing back from some less than stellar rounds the past few weeks. I'll say it again, breaking 90 has nothing to do with hitting straight/long shots off the tee. It's more so from the fairway in and short game. I've had some of my lowest rounds with good approach shots/chipping and putting.

I agree short game is huge! My scores have been inching down and mostly lower 90's, but wasting shots on crappy chips and putts is costing me greatly. Still also need to do better with GIR too. Which leads to crappy green side chipping.

After one sub-90 round, I put up a 99 with a few 8's yesterday, so I'll just step on out until I get the blow up holes infer control.....

I shot an 81 on a short par 66 course.

Doesn't feel like and I don't count it as I broke 90.

I have been getting closer I really just need to clean up short game and stay out of the sand. I have been finding 3 or more greenside bunkers per 9 and they are costing me shots. Had a 43 on the back 9 last night and have been in the mid-low 90's the last 5 or so times I have played 18. I think it is getting better and will be there. But, then again it could all go to crap too, who knows.

and so two rounds this past weel at 90 even. Today was annoying because my long awaited tee game which had finally come back recently took a vacation again. I wasn't penal errant bud just poor and short and left and right. I never used so many 3 and 5 woods off the deck in one round ever. Basically recovering from a tee game that had really come around and simply left me. What saved me was that I hit extremely well with all those 3w.5w. 4h recovery shots. Then played decent short game and putted well. managed a 90 even.

Even on hole 18 I needed to par for an 89. But again I slapped my tee shot left and short. Then another good 5w recovery to about 118 out. GW to about 10 feet. Missed the par putt to tap in the bogey. All in all considering how bad my tee game was I was happy enough to get the 90 even. But still disappointing it costed me so much.

and low and behold an astonishing 97 today. Whooooa! Couldn't get off a tee with any club if you pad me. Only reason I stayed under a 100 was because I putted and played ok around the greens. But getting near enough to them? Well that's another story that's been going on for 40 years.

Rollin it happens that is why we love golf so much!

Shot a 98 with 41 freaking putts. 8-3 putts is ridiculous. I just can’t figure it out.

I am on this quest once again. I shot 97 for my first round of golf in 8 years. I got some serious work to do in my short game, but I did record a birdie on a par 5.

Trying To Break 90 Club

Finally did it. 85 - 43/42

Last edited:
Back