Trying To Break 90 Club

Awesome great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

began today very well. After 8 holes was +5 and looking good, feeling good. Just cruising along thinking of nothing and making majority of shots. Nothing so great but nothing bad and was one my best first 8's of the season.

So here I am on 9 tee and I chunk the driver . hit a popup in fw but very short. No biggie (it happens I dont mind) and with a great lie on flat ground on a wide hole I proceed to hit 3wood off the deck which Ive done well with as of late. And so I slice this on into the woods way right. I have to drop another now hitting 4 (and again as mentioned I been hitting the 3 & 5 woods very well off deck). I don't slice this one but instead chunk it and advance maybe 40 yrds. Now hitting 5 I am still a 4h out which I pull well left. Now Im sitting 6 and have to get on from under branches but over a bunker. I actually hit well but stays just short of the greens left side. I chip on for 8 and out for the 9.

I mean I go from +5 after 8 holesk just happily cruising along to now +10 on just one more freaking hole with a disaster from basically the tee and on through. Then I hit hy 10th tee shot into the fw bunker (not so bad , no biggie,....right?) wrong cause its up against the lip tight and takes me two to get out. But the second one I screw up and am forced to recover from brush afterwards. Then I finally get on and 2 putt and there is now a triple. I mean +5 to +13 in two freaking holes.

From this point is my usual good and bad golf. I manage a par on 11 par 5 and a couple more pars but all in all I end up shooting a 93 (and a 91 esc). Ok so not the worst of rounds but I just cant get back to sub 90 this season yet.

Been crazy busy but trying to get out consistently. Typical breaking 90 scoring (for us regulars) been in the mid 90's most of the summer, dipped below 90 a few times. and hit 100+ once.

Today I head out with my father in law. He want to play the forward tees, me I dont really care I just want to make good contact and keep it in bounds. We make the turn, and I am laying a 51. I was striking the ball well but I three putted 5 times, which is very abnormal. Now I am panicking a bit as we are playing the forward tees and it look like I am playing the blue tees. I dont do anything different, just kept grinding and we get to the last hole which is oddly a par 3, 145 yards, I have a score of 37 after 8 holes, make a good tee shot that leaves me about 25 feet from the hole, relatively easy putt with slight left to right movement, tell myself dont leave it short, give it a good roll and it drops center of the cup, for my first sub 40 round.

And in typical breaking 90 thread I shoot a 39 and still cant break 90......LMFAO. oh well......

Shot an 82 Thursday!

Shot an 89 Friday!

Then shot 100 on Saturday.

Rats.

Well, my goal my first time out a month ago was to break 100 and I shot a 97. I had not really swung a club in 8 years. So now I moved to breaking 90. It was way to hot in BR Saturday to play a full 18 so I went out to get 9 holes. Par 36 out and I shot a 46. I hit 4 greens in reg but went bogey, bogey, par, and par (two three putts that should not have been). I saved par with an up and down on one of the par 3s. I had two good looks at birdie that just did not go in and had tap in pars. I have one in the water and an OB. Shot a 46 that could have easily been in the low 40s. It is the errand swing that is killing me right now.

I am still a bit hampered in my short-game with only on 47 degree wedge. I have purchased a 58 and 62 degree vokey which should be in. I will need to go out and pace off those distance on my three swings before I play golf again. The other change I made was to switch from a range practice ball to a Srixon Z-Star. I was playing way too much run out on the pitch shots I did have, that ball spins nice and checks up well. Just like a Pro V1. I will go back to my goal of throwing it 1/2 way to the pin next round. Main thing is I enjoyed the 9 holes and the chance to try and go sub 40. I could have easily reached that goal and seeing signs of my old game on 5 of the 9 holes after only 1 round of golf in 8 years was encouraging. 90 better watch out because I am coming for it and 85 you are on the list too!

FreddieMac;n8874789 said:
Well, my goal my first time out a month ago was to break 100 and I shot a 97. I had not really swung a club in 8 years. So now I moved to breaking 90. It was way to hot in BR Saturday to play a full 18 so I went out to get 9 holes. Par 36 out and I shot a 46. I hit 4 greens in reg but went bogey, bogey, par, and par (two three putts that should not have been). I saved par with an up and down on one of the par 3s. I had two good looks at birdie that just did not go in and had tap in pars. I have one in the water and an OB. Shot a 46 that could have easily been in the low 40s.

I am still a bit hampered in my short-game with only on 47 degree wedge. I have purchased a 58 and 62 degree vokey which should be in. I will need to go out and pace off those distance on my three swings before I play golf again. The other change I made was to switch from a range practice ball to a Srixon Z-Star. I was playing way too much run out on the pitch shots I did have, that ball spins nice and checks up well. Just like a Pro V1. I will go back to my goal of throwing it 1/2 way to the pin next round. Main thing is I enjoyed the 9 holes and the chance to try and go sub 40. I could have easily reached that goal and seeing signs of my old game on 5 of the 9 holes after only 1 round of golf in 8 years was encouraging. 90 better watch out because I am coming for it and 85 you are on the list too!

Looking forward to following along.

millsan1;n8874382 said:
Shot an 82 Thursday!

Shot an 89 Friday!

Then shot 100 on Saturday.

Rats.

82!? Didn't you just start playing last season!?

Now I think I need an in-home simulator. Should probably buy a house first though... hahah

JMB3;n8874861 said:
82!? Didn't you just start playing last season!?

Now I think I need an in-home simulator. Should probably buy a house first though... hahah

Yeah, April 14, 2018 was my official "start golf" date.

But the 82 is a PB by at least 6 or 7. Extreme outlier. Just had a very good round with no real errors. FIrst and only time that has happened.

I've been sub 90, 6 times if I remember correctly, which also shows those as outliers. Last sub 90 was in February or March.

Most rounds are in the mid 90s.

millsan1;n8874889 said:
Yeah, April 14, 2018 was my official "start golf" date.

But the 82 is a PB by at least 6 or 7. Extreme outlier. Just had a very good round with no real errors. FIrst and only time that has happened.

I've been sub 90, 6 times if I remember correctly, which also shows those as outliers. Last sub 90 was in February or March.

Most rounds are in the mid 90s.

That is truly fantastic, congrats! I think I've been sub 90 about 6 times ever (3 in a row last year pre-back injury). Your results are inspirational--keep it up!

broken_club.png

Well, my quest to break 90 will have to go on hold for a while. This is the result of a layup shot on a par 5. My 5-iron gave up playing golf. This is my irons I have had since 2002 and I absolutely love them. In 2016 my house was flooded and these irons where hung upside down in my bag in my workshop. The handles were submerged in flood water for about 5 days. When I was able to get to them I cleaned and dried them out, though everything was ok. When this happened, I flexed a couple more irons in my hands and a few had a crunchy sound. I stopped playing with them and I will never hit these irons again, it is to dangerous. I would never forgive myself is a playing partner got hurt by a flying club head or piece of metal. The shafts are rusted on the handles where that senscore material is placed. I have thought about reshafting, but it does not seem like a good idea to reshaft 17 year old head technology given what I have read here. RIP DCI 981's, it was a great, long love affair! :) Upside, I will make a plaque to hold the 8 iron, sample of my ace ball (lost the actual ball in the flood) and Titleist bag tag.

2 rounds in a row now. 87 on the harder of the two courses at my local yesterday. 45/42. Now just have to keep the momentum

finally (I dont even know how long its been) but an 87 today. My last round was a 90 but my normally consistent putting took a vacation that day and costed me the sub 90. Both these rounds came after two of my worst ones on the season as for ball striking. But that said (aside from those two terrible rounds) I been so close the past few rounds prior.

My ball striking off tees and with approaches (but especially tees) has plagued me for most a year now is simply finally beginning to be significantly less penal and costly in most my recent rounds. Its been by far the most detrimental area of play as for shooting sub 90.

I been playing too many years (decades) and been through so much golf wise I know all too well not to get overly exited at all. I know so well that yesterday means nothing towards the next round. None the less it did feel darn good to finally get back to a sub 90 round again. Ill take what I can get for the moment.

rollin;n8880215 said:
finally (I dont even know how long its been) but an 87 today. My last round was a 90 but my normally consistent putting took a vacation that day and costed me the sub 90. Both these rounds came after two of my worst ones on the season as for ball striking. But that said (aside from those two terrible rounds) I been so close the past few rounds prior.

My ball striking off tees and with approaches (but especially tees) has plagued me for most a year now is simply finally beginning to be significantly less penal and costly in most my recent rounds. Its been by far the most detrimental area of play as for shooting sub 90.

I been playing too many years (decades) and been through so much golf wise I know all too well not to get overly exited at all. I know so well that yesterday means nothing towards the next round. None the less it did feel darn good to finally get back to a sub 90 round again. Ill take what I can get for the moment.

Awesome, congo rats. I remember the first time I broke 90 after a lot of years of shooting 90 and 91, it was a great feeling. Once I did it though, I did not find it hard to shoot mid 80's pretty quick. Go for 85 now...

FreddieMac;n8880614 said:
Awesome, congo rats. I remember the first time I broke 90 after a lot of years of shooting 90 and 91, it was a great feeling. Once I did it though, I did not find it hard to shoot mid 80's pretty quick. Go for 85 now...

thanks but I been there enough and i know too well not to sip the from the bottle. trying to get back to the 12.3 i once reached a couple seasons back. Its been a disaster since. Im just taking it one shot at a time as i always do. is this a sign ill be back to sub 90 with any consistency? I wont even answer that but simply head out next time and play. :)

clarkgriswold;n8879657 said:
2 rounds in a row now. 87 on the harder of the two courses at my local yesterday. 45/42. Now just have to keep the momentum

you can do it

clarkgriswold;n8637574 said:
Trying To Break 90 Club

Finally did it. 85 - 43/42

Way to go! Keep it up.

AH, BAH HUMBUG, yes like scrooge at Christmas. Toays round was terrible upper 90's. Go figure same ol crap for decades. I coudnt find a tempo at all. never felt comfy behind the ball. practice swings didn't even have tempo. I was hacking all over like I never played the game. I should know buy know good golf for me just dioesnt last.

Well today was an improvement. I shot a 92 on a course I shot a 97 on last month. The greens at this course where running a solid 4 on the stimp meter. Their greens are recovering from some blight so they are letting them grow back in. They were furry. Putting was very hard today, but I still make more putts than the last two outings. 33 putts today, no three putts so that is an improvement.

Pitching and chipping was much better today with my new wedges. I kept hanging some of them out right which is weird for me. I just will need to spend more time with the wedges in my hands at a practice green.

I still have a more than a few loose shots that are leading to penalty strokes. 7 penalty strokes today because of 3 OBs and 1 water. UHG. Amazing after not playing golf for years and 2.5 rounds in and I still have the old flaws. LOL, oh well.

My new irons where different for the first swings. My timing was way off. I could not get comfortable. I need to hit a lot more balls with these irons to get the timing right. I hit skulls, tops, fats, nutted and one shank. I cannot remember the last time I shanked a ball. I started hitting them well in the middle of the round. I really like the feedback I get from them.

There where many bright spots today. I just need to keep playing and the scores will come down.

Thought I had it yesterday. 45 on the front nine. Played bogey golf until the 14th. Couldn't carry the water, hit it over the green from the drop. proceeded to triple three holes, one bogey, then double the last for 52 on the back. Oh, well. At least there was a bright spot for most of the day. Showed me what I have to do.

As busy as the Breaking 100 thread is, I'm surprised no one is posting here.

Played what might be my last round of the season Friday - a rare day off & weather was decent (60* but windy). I felt awful but figured I could feel bad sitting inside or feel bad playing golf.

So I haven't played in a month, & I do no warmup - just head to the first tee. First 2 holes went as expected. I hit a lot of extra balls but kept track of the scoring one. After 2 double bogeys, I started trying to set up with more shaft lean - trying to copy a good impact position at setup. This seemed to help 7 I started making much better contact & shots started going straighter too. Ended up shooting 44, which I was very happy with considering how lousy I felt.

I'm hoping I'll get some more mild weather over the next month or so, but can't count on it. So now it will probably be a winter of indoor practice & some sim rounds.

As busy as the Breaking 100 thread is, I'm surprised no one is posting here.

Played what might be my last round of the season Friday - a rare day off & weather was decent (60* but windy). I felt awful but figured I could feel bad sitting inside or feel bad playing golf.

So I haven't played in a month, & I do no warmup - just head to the first tee. First 2 holes went as expected. I hit a lot of extra balls but kept track of the scoring one. After 2 double bogeys, I started trying to set up with more shaft lean - trying to copy a good impact position at setup. This seemed to help 7 I started making much better contact & shots started going straighter too. Ended up shooting 44, which I was very happy with considering how lousy I felt.

I'm hoping I'll get some more mild weather over the next month or so, but can't count on it. So now it will probably be a winter of indoor practice & some sim rounds.
I think ever since the invention of the 85 thread, it sort of muffled some of the posting in this one. I also think that once people begin to score 90's (break 100) regularly they tend to move into 80's relatively quicker. And then of course that leaves a smaller percentage of us unluckier ones who seem to be stuck with the same ability but just not the consistency before failing to execute at something or another a bit too often.

And so yesterday as my tee game went well for a change (in fact very well) with only a couple bad ones I was sitting at plus 8 after 9. In fact due to debris (season leaves and twigs) I had 4 putts that simply changed direction after heading directly at the center of the cup. So with that said, I was playing very well. But then on the back I began to struggle striking approach shots too far off. Lost one in water, another in woods, and just simply became too costly with too many others. A few chunks, blades, etc... Cost me a few more strokes as well a some put me in too many very difficult pitching situations with poor lies and stances and a few doubles. Just enough of poor play to end up plus 12 for a total of plus 20 and a 92.

Hate wet fall weather. Two weeks ago I was shooting low 90s (93,91,94) Now with wet fairways and soft slow greens, I add 9 strokes. Frustrating short wedges stop rather than release, leaving really long approach putts. Then I 3 putt because the ball stops halfway to the hole. (Yes, I should hit it harder, but...) Maybe It will dry up in the next few weeks.

Been close with a hand full of 91's. Just can't get over that hump.

Back