Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
know a bunch of THPers are in Golf Leagues and I thought I would start a thread for the 2019 season since we had one in 2018.

My League started yesterday and runs until the end of August. It's a 4:30pm 4 -mam 9 hole league with 12 teams.
I'm playing in the "D" Bracket (demoted from the C, which was the highest I have played). Little disappointed in the bracket drop, but I'll make the best of it and rack up some points.

Started out the year taking 2 of a possible 2 points, winning on holes and strokes after giving 1.
Pared 2 of the 3 par 3's so that makes me happy. It's early in the season however, I've been playing the par 3's pretty well so far.

My league starts the week after the Derby (in Louisville, that's how we mark spring events LOL!) and runs through September. I work for Humana and it is a league some guys from work run. Should be a lot of fun and provide some good networking opportunities.

I'm in search of a new league after a few teams left the work league and we're down to one flight. The handicap spans (from 2 for 9 to 18 for 9) are too high for match play, but because "that's how we've always done it" nobody wants to change the formats or team setup. I suggested both Quota or flighting players instead of teams.

Going to try to play more with my dad on Monday afternoons instead and then join a league w/ my wife somewhere.

My 4 man Thursday league starts on the 25th. I haven't heard about my 2 man Monday league yet, but I think they're planning on starting the same week.

Weekend skins started last weekend, and the 2 man best ball ryder cup thing starts in May. Tonight is the championship match in the simulator league.

I can't wait to really get going (and hopefully win the title in sim league tonight).

We started 2 weeks ago, mainly scrambles for us. Drop your ball in the bag and they just draw for teams. Nothing formal. Been trying to find a more formal league.

I wish I was in a golf league - my wife won't let me :)

I decided to step back from league this year. Hated the majority of the rounds I played last year, and want to get back to having fun on the course. That means finding a new partner, something I am more than happy to do for next season.

In saying that, I will be interested to see how things play out this year in our league. The league president proposed a course change, and it looks like it will be fairly evenly split as to if they stay or go. Current course has had the league for at least 15 years, and every year it seemed things were going down hill.

I play in a pretty informal league. Play nine holes, play your own ball, blind draw at the end for a cumulative score. No handicaps involved and we play for $5 a week. Nothing crazy. The formal leagues that the courses puts on just don't work with my schedule. One of the two public courses used to do a 6pm shotgun start. I was able to play that one with a partner as I get done with work at 5, I could easily make it to the course. The head pro left and the new pro is running his leagues the same way the other course does. It is open all day and you can play when you want assuming you can get a tee time. But, since almost everyone works until 5, the tee sheet is absolutely packed. They also put everyone off on hole #1. I have driven by after work and seen a huge crowd waiting on the first tee. Probably 7-8 groups. I spoke with a few guys who aren't able to get tee times until 6 or later. The new format has increased the length of the round and it's not uncommon to have groups not finish due to lack of daylight. Apparently, they changed it up to increase participation. They haven't really accomplished that yet. If anything, they have barely been able to get new people in to replace those of us that can't participate anymore.

I wish I was in a golf league - my wife won't let me :)

Tell you what, I've been in mine for about 5 years now and I really enjoy it.
It's about getting know 50 other Duffers like yourself, playing a little golf.

The best part might be working on strategy on the course. (I.E. When to go for a green and when to layback based on where you are on the match).
I look at my match last night and I won, however a couple of better played shots might have gotten me into the money with Low Net.

I replay the round in my mind the next day and think of where I could have made better decisions.

Tell you what, I've been in mine for about 5 years now and I really enjoy it.
It's about getting know 50 other Duffers like yourself, playing a little golf.

The best part might be working on strategy on the course. (I.E. When to go for a green and when to layback based on where you are on the match).
I look at my match last night and I won, however a couple of better played shots might have gotten me into the money with Low Net.

I replay the round in my mind the next day and think of where I could have made better decisions.

This year I’m not doing one because I have too much on my plate - board of governors, starting my own business, head coach for baseball and softball, new house and a bunch of other commitments. In her mind, a golf league is just another once a week thing that takes me away from the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think ours starts in two weeks. I'm hoping I can play more than last year, it got pretty spotty at times.

I am playing this weekend in my 9th league event (out of 16). I finally won money a couple of weeks ago so looking forward to having another good round on Masters Sunday on a course I like. This will be my last event for a while as I am going to Israel for work for 6 weeks so unfortunately I miss our league's travel weekend to Vegas but I should be back in time to make up some points to get into the playoffs in November.

Phoenix area people check out nsmga.org if you are looking for a league.

I was just thinking about seeing if a thread was made yet. Our league starts next week. 2 man teams with handicaps (high plays against high and low against low with 20 points per match available). We play the 2 point per hole and then 2 points to the winner of the match. We are down on teams this year, our late division has 15 teams down from 20 last year. I'm actually pretty happy about this change as last year there were just too many people on the course and rounds were taking 2.5-3 hours for 9 holes! Plus no new teams this year, which means no new handicappers sandbagging as everyone is carried over from last year. Plus we are setting some scoring max to help speed that up so you can't get more than double par on a hole. Looking forward to getting out to play. Hopefully I don't get steam rolled like last year. I shot well but gave up alot of strokes and then had guys "shoot their best round" against me. Even had one guy drop a net 27 on me. Good luck to all those play, look forward to hearing about your results!

I just had my first league night yesterday. (4.9.19)

The partner I had planned on bought a new house and told me the day of signups he was out. Got another player lined up during my lunch break but he was not able to play during our "fun night."

Yesterday, I played with a golfer on a different team who I have Monday skins game with and we did a two man scramble. Shot even par on the nine but it didn't count towards anything...

The normal match is just a 9 hole net stroke play, 2 man teams, low hcdps and high hcdps paired. With KP, long drive, and closest to 150 marker elective pots.

Rambling on here, but league dues and handicap squared away. Tuesday nights scheduled. Bring it on!

Last edited:
My league went from 9 hole match play with handicaps to a 9 hole stableford, play when you play, submit your scores and we'll figure it out format.

I'm out on that one.

will be following along, still havent ever played in a league (and definitely wouldnt this year since game is a mess)

I play in a year round league in which we play every other Saturday for about 3 years. About 35 guys in the league but typically only 20 show up due to schedules. Typical format is Gross Skins and Net Skins (handicaps range from 2 to 24). A couple times a year we will do a blind two man scramble or a gross score and net score. We have a league championship every year in May that is a two day gross and net score. I love playing in a league as I don't have to worry about finding a tee time or foursome every other week.

This year I’m not doing one because I have too much on my plate - board of governors, starting my own business, head coach for baseball and softball, new house and a bunch of other commitments. In her mind, a golf league is just another once a week thing that takes me away from the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, I remember those days of coaching multiple sports and being super busy with family obligations. They grow up quickly so enjoy it. I now have two in college, and my daughter will be in high school in 4 months. I'm lucky that she is on the high school golf team which means my wife loves it when I take her golfing even if it's four days in a row.

I haven't played in a golf league in 30 years, but this first year of retirement so I signed up for two. One is at my club and has eight-man teams that play every Wednesday from early May through early August. You can play anytime during the day as long as you are with someone else in the men's league which has about 170 members. It's uses a Stableford scoring with handicaps and the best 3 scores out of 8 count each week. Evidently there is a bunch of side bets going on so it should be fun.

The other one is a senior(50+) league that goes for 11 weeks straight every Thursday starting in May. Ten other private clubs have teams of six playing matches each week rotating to all 11 venues during the season. I like the fact that this is a scratch(no GHIN) league so each club tries to have 6 of their best players competing and there is a bit of strategy on the order that you send your six players out. All are quality courses with some amazing one as well such as Hazeltine (2016& 2028 Ryder Cup, 2019 Women's PGA Championship), Interlachen(2008 US Women's Open, Bobby Jones grand slam win 1930 US Open), and Minikahda(2017 USGA Senior Amateur). Cost is a bargain at $55 each week that includes lunch.

My league starts in a few weeks. We play a singles head to head format. You play a new guy each week. Handicap is from 5 of your last 10 rounds. Works out pretty well. No sandbagging going on which is nice. The league has been run by the same guys since the 1970's. 32 guys total. Rarely more than 1 spot open for new players each year. Most guys have been in it for 15+ years!

Season is separated into two halves. 8 guys make the playoffs from each half. In the second half, if you're in the top 8 and already qualified for the playoffs in the first half, they go further down the list. Even though some guys don't make the playoffs, they still play through all the playoff rounds against other guys because total points are paid out at the end of the season.

I've been in the league 3 years and won the championship twice. Last year I would have won, but I ran into a guy who hit a hot streak (eventual league champ) and while I shot 36 on the 9, I had to give him 5 strokes and lost to him on the last hole when we both made par. Great season though. Looking forward to getting back out there and being in the hunt again!

Each match is worth 11 points. Each hole is worth 1 and the match is worth 2.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Thursday night 2-man match play league kicks off tomorrow with a scramble. It's the first time I've ever worked close enough to a course to actually play league and my boss worked it out so that I could skip lunch and leave early. Cant wait to get out there!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm in search of a new league after a few teams left the work league and we're down to one flight. The handicap spans (from 2 for 9 to 18 for 9) are too high for match play, but because "that's how we've always done it" nobody wants to change the formats or team setup. I suggested both Quota or flighting players instead of teams.

Going to try to play more with my dad on Monday afternoons instead and then join a league w/ my wife somewhere.

But you're giving up the lush greens of Hickory Hill!

My league kicks off tonight, 41 degrees, soaking wet ground and winds 10 - 15 mph. What's to worry? Match play, handicap based, two man teams. One point per match, one for team for a total of 3 up for grabs.

We are three weeks in (fourth week of league is today) to our "work" league. I say "work" because it started out with only people from work (or retirees) but due to fall off we've invited others to join in the last several years. We have 20 two-person teams and play 9 hole matches. It's handicapped so each week we are matched against another team with lower hc playing against lower hc and higher against higher. We have handicaps that range from 0 to 18 (max) for the 9 holes so there can be some amount of variety each week. Last week I was matched against a 3 hc (my league hc is 11) so I did get a number of strokes, lol. Most of the players have been in the league for a number of years so the hcs are pretty established but there are a few newcomers each year and it takes a few weeks for their hc to adjust.

Each week we are competing for 20 points (10 points from each individual match). Each hole is worth 1 point (match play) and the remaining point is given to lowest net score for the 9 holes. We generally play from March through early June (after that it's really hot here and the league tee times start at 3:30pm). Everyone is competing for overall team champion as well as individual points champion. We've designated that you can't win both (so if your team wins you can't take the individual honors). Last week of the league we play a combined President's cup format with all the teams/individuals that aren't able to win the championship outright. Of course that last week usually has some side betting going on.

This is a new experience for me since I've been playing with a league partner for many, many years that moved out of state last Dec. He was our lower hc player so I was always matched against the higher hc player from the other teams. This year I'm our lower hc player (my new league partner is a new golfer with a 9 hole hc of 18) and now I'm getting to face the lower hc player each week. It's a whole new experience for me! Hopefully I can rise to the challenge this year...

not sure it counts as a league but I play in a series of tournaments that accumulates points, has "Majors" that count double points. First round was 2 weeks ago, was 3rd net in my flight. It runs all summer, there are like 10 events at a variety of courses, I got all excited...then noticed one was on a Monday and three are on Sundays. I had held out Saturdays to go to these so I will miss those...

I joined 2 clubs this year here in Phoenix. Each club plays once a month, both clubs recognize each other's schedule, so I play every other weekend. Each club hits various courses around Phoenix, while one club focuses more on the hard to get into courses.

First club is called UHack, they have about 50 consistent members. And run about 38 to 30 per tourney. It runs about 60 dollars a round, this includes lunch. 3 flights, and each flight pays 4 places, they have CTP and one longest putt hole. And for an extra couple of dollars you can enter the hole in one.(currently at 700 dollars). They do a variation of GHIN, they will use your GHIN, but on tourney days it is double par max score. This helps pace of play keep fluid.

Second club is Arizona Sunset Golf Association. These folks have been doing this for over 30 years. Most are retired, and they are looking to infuse some youth in there league.....and enter me!! I actually met these guys while golfing a UHack tourney. Just a great fun bunch of people, they are strict USGA rules with everyone carrying an official handicap. Cost is 70 a round, but you get on more exotic courses.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Back