Ball flight question

You're probably hitting it off the very bottom of the driver. Also I lol'd.

I very well could be on those. I'll hit it, and it feels pretty good, sounds pretty good, goes out normally, then, down she goes.

falling out of the sky is often indicative of too little spin. if it’s knuckling, it could be strike related (i would think extreme high toe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This was my thought as well. Sounds like you need more spin

This was my thought as well. Sounds like you need more spin

That seems to be the emerging theory. After I got the F6, (it was a gift from my Pop-in-law) and I was doing some research on it, everything I read was it's a "middle of the road" kind of club that would work for a wide variety of players. So, it made me think it would be OK for yours truly.

I've tried it with the stock regular flex shaft, a stiff shaft and a 3-wood shaft (all Cobra), all with more or less the same effect.

As I’m sure you are all familiar with my limited skills at the game, this question may not surprise.

When hitting my driver, some of my shots sink like a split finger fastball. You can almost see them hit a certain point then just dive down.

Any idea what I’m doing to cause this?

Why do you never hit the ball like this when we play together lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you never hit the ball like this when we play together lol

Because you lift my game. You are the wind beneath my wings.

Edit: it could also be me just obsessing over a perceived issue that may or may not actually exist. Even if it's only 1 out of 5 shots, it will be the one we notice and comment on. LOL.

As others have said, a knuckle ball is almost always too little spin.

It could be equipment or it could be a glancing strike on the bottom of the face. A solid strike on the bottom of the face usually produces more spin, but if it's near the edge of the face it can produce the knuckle ball flight.

If you have a golf store with a monitor nearby, see if you can make arrangements to hit your driver there and see what kind of spin numbers you are getting on average. If it's around 2,000 rpm or more I'd say your equipment is fine and the fix is going to be in your swing.

As others have said, a knuckle ball is almost always too little spin.

It could be equipment or it could be a glancing strike on the bottom of the face. A solid strike on the bottom of the face usually produces more spin, but if it's near the edge of the face it can produce the knuckle ball flight.

If you have a golf store with a monitor nearby, see if you can make arrangements to hit your driver there and see what kind of spin numbers you are getting on average. If it's around 2,000 rpm or more I'd say your equipment is fine and the fix is going to be in your swing.

I have a strong suspicion that it is not the club. (Insert sad clown face here.) However, when the session is going on, the instructor may see something that sets my ship right, you never know.

That seems to be the emerging theory. After I got the F6, (it was a gift from my Pop-in-law) and I was doing some research on it, everything I read was it's a "middle of the road" kind of club that would work for a wide variety of players. So, it made me think it would be OK for yours truly.

I've tried it with the stock regular flex shaft, a stiff shaft and a 3-wood shaft (all Cobra), all with more or less the same effect.

Does it happen on the course also? Or mainly just on the range? With the Cobra F6/regular flex combo it really shouldn’t be knuckling on center face contact. What’s your consistent miss with driver, right or left? Any swing flaws you struggle with?

Does it happen on the course also? Or mainly just on the range? With the Cobra F6/regular flex combo it really shouldn’t be knuckling on center face contact. What’s your consistent miss with driver, right or left? Any swing flaws you struggle with?

I don't recall it happening too often on the course, mostly at the range. I don't really have a consistent miss, both sides of the fairway are well-represented. I used to be a big slice/block right/push fade kind of guy. Now I've improved to the point where I've added hooks and hard pulls to my repertoire. I think I've got a decent set up, and grip, and I don't think my swing is totally aberrant.

I don't recall it happening too often on the course, mostly at the range. I don't really have a consistent miss, both sides of the fairway are well-represented. I used to be a big slice/block right/push fade kind of guy. Now I've improved to the point where I've added hooks and hard pulls to my repertoire. I think I've got a decent set up, and grip, and I don't think my swing is totally aberrant.

I’d chalk it up to range balls mostly then. Especially if you run across balls that have been chewed up by the picker or washer. It’s sounds like you might be on the lower spin side, but if it’s not much of an issue on the course I wouldn’t worry about it. Maybe look for a ball that is higher spin off the driver if it does become an issue.

Crappy range balls will do this no doubt. Especially the older one's that have no dimples left.

I agree with the majority here, too little spin. There is no equipment on this planet that is gonna make enough difference to get your spin rates up where they probably need to be. It’s gonna be a swing issue, so your best bet is a lesson or two to find out why you impart such little spin on the ball. This advice is coming from someone that has spin rates as low as 800rpm with a 10.5 degree driver.

There is no equipment on this planet that is gonna make enough difference to get your spin rates up where they probably need to be.

i disagree with this quite a bit. drivers like the cobra f max, xxio prime and even ping g400 max can make a big difference imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back