Ball flight question

Hamfist

I promise not to murder Canadan.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
As I’m sure you are all familiar with my limited skills at the game, this question may not surprise.

When hitting my driver, some of my shots sink like a split finger fastball. You can almost see them hit a certain point then just dive down.

Any idea what I’m doing to cause this?

Does the ball appear like it is rising quickly and then falls out of the sky? Might be too much spin. Otherwise not sure how'd you see a split finger type drop.

Dave

falling out of the sky is often indicative of too little spin. if it’s knuckling, it could be strike related (i would think extreme high toe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does the ball appear like it is rising quickly and then falls out of the sky? Might be too much spin. Otherwise not sure how'd you see a split finger type drop.

Dave

From what I see, it starts on a higher trajectory, but nothing noticable different from many others I see at the range. It’s not a “mortar shot”, so to speak. Then it’s like it knuckles in the air, and down.

falling out of the sky is often indicative of too little spin. if it’s knuckling, it could be strike related (i would think extreme high toe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ball marks indicate mostly center of face area with a few high center. Hardly a mark out on the toe.

Ball marks indicate mostly center of face area with a few high center. Hardly a mark out on the toe.

Hitting above driver CG means spin will come off. CA is probably right, it is probably low spin knuckleballs you're hitting. Are they going acceptable distance? If so, call it good :) If not, need to stop hitting it so high on the face.

I'm guilty of hitting the short almost skied ball periodically. The ones I hit lose distance.

Do you have the F6 with weight forward or back? Weight forward would encourage the knuckleball.

Dave

Average, 150. One long one at 181. I’m sure you all heard the concussion wave.

Your talking about the average mishit, right?

I've had these myself, and when I was using powder to see where the ball came off the face it was always on a wild edge for me. Like right on the bend at the bottom, or the toe bottom, or heal bottom. I never got one of these from the center of the driver face, at least not when I was using powder on the club.

Whiskey

Maybe need more swing oil? :)

It definitely sounds like it’s knuckling out of the air and if you’re making center face contact I’d say it’s something equipment related. Have you tried a higher spin ball or what ball are you playing?

As I’m sure you are all familiar with my limited skills at the game, this question may not surprise.

When hitting my driver, some of my shots sink like a split finger fastball. You can almost see them hit a certain point then just dive down.

Any idea what I’m doing to cause this?

Sounds like you have too low spin. Not enough spin on a ball will cause it to dive out of the sky.
Does the flight look fine until that point and just drop?

Hitting above driver CG means spin will come off. CA is probably right, it is probably low spin knuckleballs you're hitting. Are they going acceptable distance? If so, call it good :) If not, need to stop hitting it so high on the face.

I'm guilty of hitting the short almost skied ball periodically. The ones I hit lose distance.

Do you have the F6 with weight forward or back? Weight forward would encourage the knuckleball.

Dave

Weight is back in the "Towering" (little marketing hyperbole there) position. At the range, there is only the tall tee, so no real adjustability there. distance in short. Chasing the magical 170 off the tee.

Your talking about the average mishit, right?

I've had these myself, and when I was using powder to see where the ball came off the face it was always on a wild edge for me. Like right on the bend at the bottom, or the toe bottom, or heal bottom. I never got one of these from the center of the driver face, at least not when I was using powder on the club.

Whiskey

Nope, sadly, I am indeed that short of a hitter. A nice drive last night was, eh, 165? The black face of the driver let's me see fairly well where the strike was.

Now, I'm only going off the Protracer at the range, and I'm only tracking carry, so take that into consideration.

It definitely sounds like it’s knuckling out of the air and if you’re making center face contact I’d say it’s something equipment related. Have you tried a higher spin ball or what ball are you playing?

The range rocks. I usually play W/S duos ($8.92 a dozen from Rock Bottom Golf!). I don't really have a chance to hit them (the Duos) unless I'm playing a round.

Sounds like you have too low spin. Not enough spin on a ball will cause it to dive out of the sky.
Does the flight look fine until that point and just drop?

Yes, most of the time.

Edit, when it does do it, it is a consistent drop.

Yes, most of the time.

Yeah, everyone on here is on the same page. You are sending some knuckle balls out there. If everything else about the flight and your game is good, I’d find a ball that spins more.
I’ve heard the Cut Blue ball spins more and the Bridgestone Tour B RXS or XS also produce more spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, everyone on here is on the same page. You are sending some knuckle balls out there. If everything else about the flight and your game is good, I’d find a ball that spins more.
I’ve heard the Cut Blue ball spins more and the Bridgestone Tour B RXS or XS also produce more spin.

I am the Phil Niekro of golf.

Aging yourself with that one....

Hey! I would have made that reference too and I’m 26.

Back