Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flagstick - Science says you should pull it 99.9% of the time.

Collapse

Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flagstick - Science says you should pull it 99.9% of the time.

Interesting article explaining why leaving the flagstick in will result in more putts missed. The science in this article makes sense to me and I’m glad someone took the time and effort to use the scientific method to measure this.

A quote from the summary section:

“Leaving the flagstick in may have some benefits but from a physics standpoint, there is zero evidence to suggest that the flagstick helps in any but the rarest of situations. What the flagstick may do is occasionally reduce the length of a second putt and therefore possibly help reduce three-putts. Of course, it also will clearly and substantially reduce the number of one-putts. It’s also clear from our research that the fiberglass type of flagstick is the least detrimental (but still nowhere near as good as taking the flagstick out).”

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...nt-of-the-time
    O'Works R-Line 400 gram
    Epic SZ w/ Rogue 70 I/O Silver
    TM Original One Mini Tensei CK Pro Orange
    XR16 Pro 4w Tour Green 75x
    Srixon Z765 6-GW DG x100 AMT
    Srixon Z565 5 iron
    Srixon Z H85 19* Rogue 85h
    Cleveland RTX3 60 MG
    Cleveland RTX4 56
    Snell MTB x

Originally posted by tahoebum View Post
    Interesting article explaining why leaving the flagstick in will result in more putts missed. The science in this article makes sense to me and Iím glad someone took the time and effort to use the scientific method to measure this.

A quote from the summary section:

ďLeaving the flagstick in may have some benefits but from a physics standpoint, there is zero evidence to suggest that the flagstick helps in any but the rarest of situations. What the flagstick may do is occasionally reduce the length of a second putt and therefore possibly help reduce three-putts. Of course, it also will clearly and substantially reduce the number of one-putts. Itís also clear from our research that the fiberglass type of flagstick is the least detrimental (but still nowhere near as good as taking the flagstick out).Ē

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...nt-of-the-time
    You need to send this to Bryson D! lol

Comment

Unless I missed it, the study didn't take into account breaking or up/downhill putts. It so didn't take into account putts that grab a varying amount of cup, possible lip out situations etc.

The situation where it hurts you make sense, situations where it makes glancing hard impact. Definitely something to take into account. But it doesn't seem complete yet.
      Ozone XX Stand bag
      XR 10.5
      XHot Pro 15*
      MT 3i
      Apex 4-SW
      J40 60*
      Tank #7

Comment

All these studies are cracking me up.

Never thought a flagstick would lead to so much debate.
        WITB:
        TaylorMade
        - M6 9.0 -
        UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 77F5
        TaylorMade - Original One 13.5 - Fujikura Evolution V X
        PING - G410 19.0/22.0 - Alta CB 70S
        Callaway - Apex CF19 Combo 5-PW - True Temper Elevate X100
        Cleveland - RTX4 Raw 48M/54M/60XL - DG TI S400
        SWAG
        - Tour Proto Savage Too -
        Center-Shaft 373g
        Taylormade - 2019 TP5x

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
          All these studies are cracking me up.

Never thought a flagstick would lead to so much debate.
          Me either, itís such a topic these days. Every round at my club, someone will bring it up. I can tell you that leaving it in doesnít speed some people up. Slow is slow no matter what you do

Ddog: EPIC Flash 9* ProForce Tour V2
          FWs: F8+ 3/4 Elements Proto-Type, Rogue 5W EVENFLOW
          Irons: 785 Combo set
          Wedges: King Black 50* & 54* w/
          Flat stick: TOUR Spider
          Ball: ​PRO V1x

Winning CAPTAIN OF #TeamParadise #morgancup2018

Comment

This should say "one scientific experiment says you should pull it 99.9% of the time". There have been others that have had different results under slightly different conditions. But that's the nature of experimentation.

The one interesting thing they did not is 3 putt avoidance with the flagstick in - if the ball hits the flag, it's likely to stay (reasonably) close to the hole, and a good deal closer than it would have otherwise. To say there are a lot of moving pieces/conditions to measure here is an understatement.

Me, I keep it in most of the time when coming in with a long putt, take it out when I'm close if I think it's going to cause problems. Anecdotally, I haven't had a putt bounce off the stick yet that didn't go in, but I tend to be a dead weight putter.
            Proud member of Team THP in the 2018 Granddaddy with

Driver: Epic Flash With Custom HZRDUS Smoke
            Fairway: Epic Flash with Tensei Blue 75
            Hybrids: '19 Apex 3h and 4h with Catalyst 70
            Irons: Apex Forged 5-PW w/ Elevate 95
            Wedges: MD4 48-54-58 w/ Modus 105
            Putter: Stroke Lab Three
            Ball: Chrome Soft X

Thanks to PX and THP for an incredible Handcrafted Experience!

Comment

60% of the time, it works everytime
              Spencer

Proud to represent Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy
              ------------------------------------------
              Driver: TBD
              FW: TBD
              Hybrids: TBD
              Irons:
              TBD
              Wedges: TBD
              Putter: TBD
              Bag:

2016 THP/UST Shaft Spectacular
              2017 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers
              2018 THP Sweep participant
              2019 Grandaddy - Team THP

Comment

Originally posted by Wake View Post
                Unless I missed it, the study didn't take into account breaking or up/downhill putts. It so didn't take into account putts that grab a varying amount of cup, possible lip out situations etc.

The situation where it hurts you make sense, situations where it makes glancing hard impact. Definitely something to take into account. But it doesn't seem complete yet.
                It did take into account putts that didn’t hit the center of the hole, which is about 72% of all putts. Putts that would close enough to the edge of the cup to lip out would not be hitting the pin at all until they were below the surface of the green. I don’t think from a physics standpoint that it matters much if it’s a breaking putt as the ball is rolling end over end and not spinning into the hole.

They definitely proved that for the flagstick to help you would have to hit center cup(only happens 27.6% of the time for a PGA Tour quality putter) and also have to have the ball traveling fast enough to finish 9+ feet past the hole which happens only 1.27% of the time. Us amateurs don’t putt as well so that 27.6% would be even lower. I personally don’t hit many putts past the hole more than 9 feet and if I do I’m putting from beyond 40 feet and certainly not likely to be anywhere near center cup or hitting the hole at all.

I thought it was interesting that with a putt hit at a speed that would finish 2.5 feet pass the hole 100% of the putts went in wether the flagstick was in or not. But when hitting a putt at a speed that would have it finish 4.5’ past the hole, leaving the flagstick in cut your chances of making the putt in half! Double the chance of making on those 72% of putts that hit the hole and don’t hit center cup is a big deal to me. I certainly hit a lot of putts like that, maybe one or two per round. If it’s once per round that means leaving the flagstick in on all putts would raise my index .5 strokes.

Before reading this I was planning on leaving the flag in on longer putts(unless someone has already pulled it) and having it pulled when I get inside of about 15 feet as I find the shadow and the flag moving visually distracting especially short putts. Now I will likely always have it pulled when I’m inside of 30 feet unless I’m playing alone.
                O'Works R-Line 400 gram
                Epic SZ w/ Rogue 70 I/O Silver
                TM Original One Mini Tensei CK Pro Orange
                XR16 Pro 4w Tour Green 75x
                Srixon Z765 6-GW DG x100 AMT
                Srixon Z565 5 iron
                Srixon Z H85 19* Rogue 85h
                Cleveland RTX3 60 MG
                Cleveland RTX4 56
                Snell MTB x

Comment

I like it in on long putts...out on short. Its a mess on the greens...some want it in, some out, How about if the ball is ejected by the big fat pin no one pulled for you...count it as a holed putt! FWIW leave it in for the first putts, then out for 2nd putts.
                  ST-190 Driver / Graphite Design Tour AD I-Z 8x
                  CB Pro F2 15.5 / Fujikura Fuel 70x TS
                  CB Pro f2 18 / Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution x
                  Ezone MB 3,4i Matrix Altus, 5-7i XP100x, 8-PW X100
                  Wedge Series 51,55,59 DG wedge
                  SC Red X5 Putter 33.75
                  Tour B xs

Comment

Originally posted by tahoebum View Post
                    I donít think from a physics standpoint that it matters much if itís a breaking putt as the ball is rolling end over end and not spinning into the hole. They definitely proved that for the flagstick to help you would have to hit center cup(only happens 27.6% of the time for a PGA Tour quality putter) and also have to have the ball traveling fast enough to finish 9+ feet past the hole which happens only 1.27% of the time. Us amateurs donít putt as well so that 27.6% would be even lower. I personally donít hit many putts past the hole more than 9 feet and if I do Iím putting from beyond 40 feet and certainly not likely to be anywhere near center cup or hitting the hole at all.

I thought it was interesting that with a putt hit at a speed that would finish 2.5 feet pass the hole 100% of the putts went in wether the flagstick was in or not. But when hitting a putt at a speed that would have it finish 4.5í past the hole, leaving the flagstick in cut your chances of making the putt in half! Double the chance of making on those 72% of putts that donít hit center cup is a big deal to me. I certainly hit a lot of putts like that, maybe one or two per round. For me that means leaving the flagstick in on all putts would likely raise my index .5 strokes or more.

Before reading this I was planning on leaving the flag in on longer putts(unless someone has already pulled it) and having it pulled when I get inside of about 15 feet as I find the shadow and the flag moving visually distracting especially short putts. Now I will likely always have it pulled when Iím inside of 30 feet unless Iím playing alone.
                    I think it does matter very much, if the cup is on a grade it's also going to matter which side of the flag you hit. I also think not addressing how much you miss the center by leaves alot of potential results out. It doesn't even address uphill vs downhill putts, which we know makes a difference.

I do think this study has some validity, it just isn't nearly as far reaching as it claims.
                    Ozone XX Stand bag
                    XR 10.5
                    XHot Pro 15*
                    MT 3i
                    Apex 4-SW
                    J40 60*
                    Tank #7

Comment

The easiest way to measure this is not some scientist rolling balls at a stick. It's by measuring putting statistics on tour over time. The PGA Tour will know by the end of this season.

Comment

The Bryson logic still cracks me up. "If I smash it into the pin dead center from three feet away, there's no WAY it would go in without the pin" lmao

Team flag pull 100% within 30-35 feet. Love the debate, love the science behind some of it.
                        In my Team Hackers Vessel/Cobra Arnold Palmer Stand Bag

KING F9 Speedback 9* Driver
                        KING F9 Speedback 13.5* Tour Fairway
                        Z U85 18* Utility Iron
                        KING F9 Speedback 4/5 Irons
                        KING Forged TEC Black 6-G Irons
                        RTX4 Black 50/54/58 Wedges
                        Super Rat

Comment

I'm good either way. I have had a couple hit the pin and go off but stayed with in two feet. For those instances they where just to fast of putts. I don't think it speeds play at all but that is another discussion.
                          Driver Maybe something Flash?
                          Fairways Some more awesome Flash?
                          Irons I have no idea what might go in here!!!
                          Wedges probably some MD goodness
                          probably something that rolls awesome
                          an awesone ball

Humbled member of Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy with Callaway.

2016 Cleveland Short Game Shootout
                          "Forget the last hole played, you can't change the outcome. Move on."

Comment

Originally posted by Canadan View Post
                            The Bryson logic still cracks me up. "If I smash it into the pin dead center from three feet away, there's no WAY it would go in without the pin" lmao

Team flag pull 100% within 30-35 feet. Love the debate, love the science behind some of it.
                            Letís you be aggressive on short putts, which is a big deal for a lot of golfers. Has been huge for my HS girls from that range.
                            WITB:
                            TaylorMade
                            - M6 9.0 -
                            UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 77F5
                            TaylorMade - Original One 13.5 - Fujikura Evolution V X
                            PING - G410 19.0/22.0 - Alta CB 70S
                            Callaway - Apex CF19 Combo 5-PW - True Temper Elevate X100
                            Cleveland - RTX4 Raw 48M/54M/60XL - DG TI S400
                            SWAG
                            - Tour Proto Savage Too -
                            Center-Shaft 373g
                            Taylormade - 2019 TP5x

Comment

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X