Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 180-200 avg as well but if I hit a real good one I'm out around 225. Being so short really sucks and makes me have to play long ball all day. I have started playing smarter when I am 180+ I will sometimes just hit to the 100yd marker so I can short iron in from there as I am better at that distance than trying to make the green and come up short and have to chip on.

Yeah, when I'm not pushing the ball sharply left in the 3 fairways over range, I can reach out to 240 to 270 with rollout.
(for those who saw me play this weekend that statement may seem pure #internetgolfer, but the stats my coach has kept for me will corroborate)

I'm 180-200 avg as well but if I hit a real good one I'm out around 225. Being so short really sucks and makes me have to play long ball all day. I have started playing smarter when I am 180+ I will sometimes just hit to the 100yd marker so I can short iron in from there as I am better at that distance than trying to make the green and come up short and have to chip on.

Are you playing the best tee boxes for your length? Playing the best tees for your game will help you score better.

Yeah, when I'm not pushing the ball sharply left in the 3 fairways over range, I can reach out to 240 to 270 with rollout.
(for those who saw me play this weekend that statement may seem pure #internetgolfer, but the stats my coach has kept for me will corroborate)
I would love to hit 240 even. It would make for so much better scoring.

Are you playing the best tee boxes for your length? Playing the best tees for your game will help you score better.
No probably not but league play is white tees so that is where I play from. I did play from the gold with some older buddies and it made me look real good. lol

I would love to hit 240 even. It would make for so much better scoring.
I would love to hit 240 consistently as well. :alien:

I feel you guys. I'm too often looking at a lot of second shots standing on the wrong side of the blue stake. Hence, my intention to master my 3W. I doubt I'll ever be able to hit a driver 225+. ��

I feel you guys. I'm too often looking at a lot of second shots standing on the wrong side of the blue stake. Hence, my intention to master my 3W. I doubt I'll ever be able to hit a driver 225+. ��
I've been hitting my 3w much much better lately. The other day when I played with Six4three5 and Maddog I was out just over 200 and drilled one beauty and came to rest on the fringe. even Six commented on how I smoked that one. I wish I could get that distance on a regular basis and that is what I am working on and striving for.

No probably not but league play is white tees so that is where I play from. I did play from the gold with some older buddies and it made me look real good. lol

I definitely understand league play, but when playing on your own make sure you are playing the best tees for your game. We're none of us professionals so it's all about enjoying the day. If your distance off the tee dictates one set of tees over another, then do it. Or use mixed tees if you are not scoring the round for handicap and you find a set of tee boxes on a certain hole fits your game better. There is no reason to hamstring yourself if you don't have to.

I definitely understand league play, but when playing on your own make sure you are playing the best tees for your game. We're none of us professionals so it's all about enjoying the day. If your distance off the tee dictates one set of tees over another, then do it. Or use mixed tees if you are not scoring the round for handicap and you find a set of tee boxes on a certain hole fits your game better. There is no reason to hamstring yourself if you don't have to.
I usually play the whites with my regular foursome, and my duo partner. Feels more like an "honest"score that way.
Plus, those guys will be posting stupid low scores if we play from the seniors tees. And the abuse I would have to endure if I was the only one doing it wouLd be pretty hellish. I can't blame them either, since I've abused each one for different reasons throughout the years.

I hear what you are saying but I guess the way I think about it is if I play forward and enjoy it so much more then it will make league day dreadful. Plus the more I play the whites the easier it is to see improvement.

Distance is great, but to break 100 don't be worried about hitting the green in 2. Play to hit the green in GIR+1 and play for bogey. If you happen to make a good third shot or putt and you get a par, great. But you should be thrilled with a bogey. Eighteen bogeys is 90.

18 bogeys would be happy dance for this hacker!

You can do it. I am a small guy (about 166) and only about 5'10 and I can hit it about 225 consistently, if I really get a hold of one I can hit it 250-275. Took a few lessons earlier this year and my instructor really helped with my balance, and tempo which got me hitting the ball a lot further off the tee.

Distance is great, but to break 100 don't be worried about hitting the green in 2. Play to hit the green in GIR+1 and play for bogey. If you happen to make a good third shot or putt and you get a par, great. But you should be thrilled with a bogey. Eighteen bogeys is 90.
Best advice I got 1 year ago/last season as a new player. I was having a drink next to a Gent that said "what did you shoot?" And miserably I replied "way more than I should have." His reply was something to the effect of "just remember, it's all about consistency... Hit the ball straight... Who cares about distance... Just get it on the green and 2 putt... You'll be shooting 90 before you know it."

My game changed drastically after those beers with him and applying that thought process.

(P.S. I myself am a rookie golfer. My 2nd season playing ever.)

You're not small! 5'6", 180 pounds of lipid tisue and muscle tone that resembles hot cereal here!

I usually play the whites with my regular foursome, and my duo partner. Feels more like an "honest"score that way.
Plus, those guys will be posting stupid low scores if we play from the seniors tees. And the abuse I would have to endure if I was the only one doing it wouLd be pretty hellish. I can't blame them either, since I've abused each one for different reasons throughout the years.

This I don't get. Your score from one tee box to the next is no more or less honest. This is what the Tee It Forward initiative is all about. If you do not have the distance off the tee to be playing from a tee box, you should not be playing that tee box (unless there is a restriction like a league requirement). The USGA wants you to play the game to have the most fun possible. If that means that you need to tee it closer to get a mid to low iron for a second shot on a par 4, then that is who you are as a golfer and there is NO shame in that. If your friends feel this is something worth ridiculing you about, then they have other issues more pressing to address.

It's also not true that shorter distances will automatically equal lower scores. Quite a few times this experiment was tried on THP, and with very varied results. If you struggle with short game and putting, then teeing it 30 yards closer on a hole won't help you any with that.

This is the mindset I use. If I hit a bad tee shot into the rough or trees, all I try and think about is getting the ball back in play if it goes forwards thats a added bonus. Sometimes the safest way is sideways back onto the fairway. If I can keep that mindset for a whole round Im on the verge of breaking 90, if I don't then I can struggle to get high 90's.

When I do manage to keep it on the fairway I just tell myself I have two more shots to get it on the green then 2 putts for bogie. It takes the pressure off me, this invariably leads to a more relaxed shot which is either on the green or near enough to putt / chip it on from the fringe. Another thing I have tried on par 5's is to take a short iron for the 2nd and 3rd shots. I.E. if I am 250 - 270 to the green use an 8 iron, I know that is going straight around 135 - 140 yards and is more reliable than a 5 wood, then the 3rd shot is a 8 iron or below depending on what I have left. This is far more predictable than a 5 wood that may go from 20 yards to 220yards depending on the swing.

This I don't get. Your score from one tee box to the next is no more or less honest. This is what the Tee It Forward initiative is all about. If you do not have the distance off the tee to be playing from a tee box, you should not be playing that tee box (unless there is a restriction like a league requirement). The USGA wants you to play the game to have the most fun possible. If that means that you need to tee it closer to get a mid to low iron for a second shot on a par 4, then that is who you are as a golfer and there is NO shame in that. If your friends feel this is something worth ridiculing you about, then they have other issues more pressing to address.

It's also not true that shorter distances will automatically equal lower scores. Quite a few times this experiment was tried on THP, and with very varied results. If you struggle with short game and putting, then teeing it 30 yards closer on a hole won't help you any with that.
Let me rephrase it: It would feel like a more honest score to me, since I have and most likely always will play the whites. As for my friends, they only abuse me as much as I abuse them.
My last point is: even when not scoring well, I do have fun. I enjoy the interplay with my friends, I enjoy my occasional good shots, and I don't let my self get down anymore. It's just a game.

Great advice! I didn't break 100 until I started to listen my dad and sacked the driver for like a whole season and played for bogie instead of par. I actually got my first birdie with that approach, hitting my dad's 2i instead of driver. The clubs are different nowadays, but the idea is the same: play the longest club you are confident with off the tee and go from there shooting for bogey. OB is a lot more costly than having to take three strokes to reach the green, in my experience at least.

Let me rephrase it: It would feel like a more honest score to me, since I have and most likely always will play the whites. As for my friends, they only abuse me as much as I abuse them.
My last point is: even when not scoring well, I do have fun. I enjoy the interplay with my friends, I enjoy my occasional good shots, and I don't let my self get down anymore. It's just a game.
What!? That's hogwash! Lol

What!? That's hogwash! Lol
Wait...ummm..I didn't type that! Someone hacked my account!! Yeah! That's it! Someone was impersonating me!!

Wait...ummm..I didn't type that! Someone hacked my account!! Yeah! That's it! Someone was impersonating me!!
Trying to backpeddle are we? Are you a politition? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back