Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning! Question: Do you guys find yourselves doing the "one wedge for all short shots" (Pelz) or do you use different wedges from let's say 50 yards out? I'm finding I'm using my 56* for most of my 50 and in shots nowadays, just adjusting the opening of the face/length of swing.

I was using my 55* sand wedge for an awful lot anywhere from 60 or so yds and in but now that I am hitting all my clubs better, especially my 3w, I am getting more distance and finding myself down around the 80-100 yd mark and am able to be pickier on club selection and get on the green with more consistancy. Also when I am in closer now I am using my 60* wedge when it fits the shot better. My nemesis right now is my putting. I am hitting my clubs well until I get the putter in hand. Example, yesterday, par 3 first shot in greenside bunker, (sand doesn't scare me) shot 2 out of sand to 5 ft under the cup. Walked off with a 6. When my putting is good I am easily in the 40's for nine. Problem is that has only happened a few times this season.

From that range (80-100)I'd be using a PW (my 100 yd club). My area of concern lately has been my inability to dial in the 50 yd and in wedge. I am putting my lob in timeout, so was wondering what the general thoughts of the thread were on this.

From that range (80-100)I'd be using a PW (my 100 yd club). My area of concern lately has been my inability to dial in the 50 yd and in wedge. I am putting my lob in timeout, so was wondering what the general thoughts of the thread were on this.

One way to save yourself a few strokes here and there is try and manage the course so you are hitting shots you feel comfortable with. If you dont hit 50 yard shots well dont leave youtself that distance if you can help it. This comes into play mostly on par 5's and and short par 4's. 50 yards is a tricky distance for even a single digit handicap as its almost all feel.

Use your PW and putting stroke for easy (by easy I mean no hard swinging) chips.

One way to save yourself a few strokes here and there is try and manage the course so you are hitting shots you feel comfortable with. If you dont hit 50 yard shots well dont leave youtself that distance if you can help it. This comes into play mostly on par 5's and and short par 4's. 50 yards is a tricky distance for even a single digit handicap as its almost all feel.
Hmmm, that bears contemplation.

Use your PW and putting stroke for easy (by easy I mean no hard swinging) chips.
What would your outside yardage be for a bump and run? Everyone, feel free to chip in. (see what I did there?)

What would your outside yardage be for a bump and run? Everyone, feel free to chip in. (see what I did there?)
I use bump and run shots multiple times during a round (I play at around a 16ish hdcp). My technique is always the same: hands forward/weight forward/ball at my right foot/narrow stance/get the face of the club at a 90* angle to the ground and hit out towards the toe with a putting stroke. Just outside the green = 9i, maybe 50 yards and in = 7i, anything further 4 hybrid. I save myself a lot of frustration using this method and get myself back on the right track.

I was using my 55* sand wedge for an awful lot anywhere from 60 or so yds and in but now that I am hitting all my clubs better, especially my 3w, I am getting more distance and finding myself down around the 80-100 yd mark and am able to be pickier on club selection and get on the green with more consistancy. Also when I am in closer now I am using my 60* wedge when it fits the shot better. My nemesis right now is my putting. I am hitting my clubs well until I get the putter in hand. Example, yesterday, par 3 first shot in greenside bunker, (sand doesn't scare me) shot 2 out of sand to 5 ft under the cup. Walked off with a 6. When my putting is good I am easily in the 40's for nine. Problem is that has only happened a few times this season.

So the question must be asked, why are you not taking putting lessons?

This guy:

http://www.pelligolf.com

For example is a certified SPi instructor that has worked with a number of THP members, both in-person and remotely. I'm willing to bet good things will happen with your putting if you work with him.

For me somewhere in the 40yd range. Also depending on how much run I want I may use a 9, 8, or even 7 iron as you get more roll with a less lofted club.

So the question must be asked, why are you not taking putting lessons?

This guy:

http://www.pelligolf.com

For example is a certified SPi instructor that has worked with a number of THP members, both in-person and remotely. I'm willing to bet good things will happen with your putting if you work with him.

I was actually thinking about that very thing today while on the coarse and missing many easy putts.

For me somewhere in the 40yd range. Also depending on how much run I want I may use a 9, 8, or even 7 iron as you get more roll with a less lofted club.

40 yard bump and runs? That's more like a partial knockdown shot at that point!

In that case, I do it a lot. It's more like 100 plus yards though and out from under the tree line. If I'm closer to the green I use 58* wedge for a pitch shot with some air under the ball. I go back to low bump and run chips if I'm a few yards off the green or less, especially if the flag is on the opposite side of the green.

Morning! I got nothin'. Trying to find people to play golf with this weekend, and I'm running out of options.

Depends on the what the hole is giving me. if it is a downhill hole and I'm 40-60 yards away, I can easily bump a little 7i onto the green. If it is flat, I could do the same, but I am also pretty confident in my 58* half shot at 50 yards, and find i often get that shot closer to the hole. I usually opt for that. Uphill or hazard, its carry and the 58* or if there's wind in the face, maybe the 52*.

Played a nice 9 with my brother-in-law and his girlfriend tonight. First 3 holes were 8,8,7...then I put the stinking driver in the bag, started using the 3w off the tee, and played the remaining holes in 25 strokes to card a 48. Finished with 3 pars, and a 2 inch miss for birdie on the last hole.

That's were I'm at with the driver. Mid week morning practice rounds, I'm working on driver. Weekend round, were the score counts, it's 3W off drivable hole.

That's were I'm at with the driver. Mid week morning practice rounds, I'm working on driver. Weekend round, were the score counts, it's 3W off drivable hole.
I have been way too stubborn about this. No more! I might pull it from the bag just to keep the temptation away.

50/48, for an ugly 98. Driver was ok most of the day, irons were hit or miss, as was the short game. Lipped out about six putts too. Argh.

Driver for today averaged almost 200 yards, and that's with two that were horrible off the tee. Longest was 230 (according to Game Golf), and I had a couple more out around 220. 36% FIR, one miss right, the rest went left. Added up the putts and they totaled 32, but could have been lower. Since I kept coming up short with my irons, I had to rely on the short game which resulted in seven one putts.

Last edited:
Shot a 43/49 for a 92 today. Was really good for the first 13 holes then started making mistakes. I did have 4 pars in a row and only 2 triples today. I managed to hit 69.2% of FWs, (15.4% left, 30.8% center and 23.1% right) the missed FWs were 30.8% and most of those were not even close and only had two 3 putts. Really stinks that I had a let down on the last 5 holes as it could have been an easy sub 90 round.

This makes 11 round in a row sub 100, so I'm happy about that.

My par performance was:

Par 3: 4.2
Par 4: 5.0
Par 5: 6.5

Can live with the bogey golf on the 4s, 3s were decent but I really need to pick it up on the 5s!

Shot an ugly, ugly 107. Although, I do have to say that I hit the best drive of the season. Sadly, it was with a buddy's driver that he let me try. And he refuses to sell it to me. Bastard.

I shot a 109 on a rough course today...my tee shots are the most penal part of my game right now...but it always has been

I shot a 109 on a rough course today...my tee shots are the most penal part of my game right now...but it always has been
He said "penal". Giggity.

Shot a 113. I am trending in the right direction - my last 2 rounds were 126 & 121. In the past, I get to this point scoring wise, and with only one exception, the wheels fall off and I regress to shooting in the 120 neighborhood. I am really hoping to see some permanent improvement this time around.

Shot a 113. I am trending in the right direction - my last 2 rounds were 126 & 121. In the past, I get to this point scoring wise, and with only one exception, the wheels fall off and I regress to shooting in the 120 neighborhood. I am really hoping to see some permanent improvement this time around.

Nice improvement! Keep at it and the lower scores will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back