Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I guess yesterdays 9 was a fluke. shot a 108 this morning. I'm back to not being able to hit the driver. or putt. love this game...

I played 9 on a par 30 course, and shot a 48 :( There are three par 4's the first two resulted in 8's because of my tee shots. The third I used my 5I off the tee and carded a 4.

I played the Par 3's an average of 1.7 over and the par 4's 2.7 over.

Like you my trouble is all off the tee, I need to seek help.

Well, short story is that I ended with a 106. Should have been so much lower.

Front 9 - 57 - way too many putts and I was not good off the tee at all. Bad tee shots equal a bad hole for me.

Back 9 - 49 - way too many putts again - could and should have been a 42 at the most. My ball striking was really great and I was DRIVING THE BALL STRAIGHT! The funny thing is that I've convinced myself to not use a driver, but after the front 9 tee issues, I figured I might as well. Bottom line is that I can hit the ball with the driver and the irons and the ball flies far and straight. I can do it and I proved that to myself. My problem is getting lazy with my shoulder turn. If I make a good turn the ball will fly. Also I had 3 putt-itis.

I felt pretty good with the score and the back 9 really fired me up. It won't be long. I just need to put it all together at once.

Well, short story is that I ended with a 106. Should have been so much lower.

Front 9 - 57 - way too many putts and I was not good off the tee at all. Bad tee shots equal a bad hole for me.

Back 9 - 49 - way too many putts again - could and should have been a 42 at the most. My ball striking was really great and I was DRIVING THE BALL STRAIGHT! The funny thing is that I've convinced myself to not use a driver, but after the front 9 tee issues, I figured I might as well. Bottom line is that I can hit the ball with the driver and the irons and the ball flies far and straight. I can do it and I proved that to myself. My problem is getting lazy with my shoulder turn. If I make a good turn the ball will fly. Also I had 3 putt-itis.

I felt pretty good with the score and the back 9 really fired me up. It won't be long. I just need to put it all together at once.

Wow!! That is still an awesome round and one heck of a back 9! It really sounds like your game is coming together. Way to go Hawk, I am so happy for you!!

I went out today with dzdncnfsd, Golf Chick and her boyfriend and we played a local 9 hole par 31 golf course twice and I shot a 39 on the first go around and a 36 on the second. I have played this course a few times and have never broken 40 and today I did it twice. My putting was lights out, 18 putts the first 9,only 14 the second 9.

Wow!! That is still an awesome round and one heck of a back 9! It really sounds like your game is coming together. Way to go Hawk, I am so happy for you!!

Thanks GolferGal!

I actually hit 4 GIR today, which is my personal best. And I parred a par 5 that I have never shot less than an 8 on. There was a lot of good things to go with the bad :)

I went out today with dzdncnfsd, Golf Chick and her boyfriend and we played a local 9 hole par 31 golf course twice and I shot a 39 on the first go around and a 36 on the second. I have played this course a few times and have never broken 40 and today I did it twice. My putting was lights out, 18 putts the first 9,only 14 the second 9.

Wow! That is awesome WR!! That must have felt great when you added up your score and sinking all those putts. Way to go!

Thanks GolferGal!

I actually hit 4 GIR today, which is my personal best. And I parred a par 5 that I have never shot less than an 8 on. There was a lot of good things to go with the bad :)

Isn't is such an incredible feeling to finally conquer a hole that has been your nemesis in the past? There is always a silver lining in golf and the back 9 was definitely it for you!

Nice going hawk... as I have learned, putting is the key. Get your number of putts down and you will score better. Hey maybe win a contest for a ghost putter!!! Justin Rose will tell you it helped him today!!!

Nice going hawk... as I have learned, putting is the key. Get your number of putts down and you will score better. Hey maybe win a contest for a ghost putter!!! Justin Rose will tell you it helped him today!!!

that Ghost putter is the real deal too. Yesterday when JB and I played and I shot that awful 111 I had some 4 putts it was the scariest putting I have done in a really long time. I just picked up our custom Ghost Putter and sunk 6 out of 6 putts from 8' on each putt. The alignment aid is really incredible.

Thanks GolferGal!! it felt great when I looked at my score and it still feels great now

Thanks GolferGal!! it felt great when I looked at my score and it still feels great now

Those are the positive thoughts you need to hold onto when going out next time. Even if you have a bad shot or a bad hole remember how it can and will get better. I have been trying to do that as well...the power of positive thinking. I can hear the sound of my pure shots, see the ball flight, the distance, everything and it gets me all pumped up.

Couple of steps forward, one back is still progress.

I have to add that my son beat me by 4 strokes. He is turning into a fine golfer, it may be time to make him play from the next set of tees.

Couple of steps forward, one back is still progress.

I have to add that my son beat me by 4 strokes. He is turning into a fine golfer, it may be time to make him play from the next set of tees.

and you to step down a set??? (just kidding :smile-big: )

congrats hawk!

I'm ever so slowly getting there :) I shot a 12 over on a 9 hole Par 31. Not bad, but I should be making better approach shots. Kept my putts down to 2 putts though :confused2: Its actually ok because there were a few Par 4s and I used my driver and I haven't had any work with my driver yet, hit all the fairways though, just lack distance!

You played very well Golf Chick, alot better than the last time we played.. I can definately notice improvement!!! Keep up the good work!!!

This Saturday I shot a 96 on a par 62 course. My first below 100. Yay! 48 each on the front and back nines. Just hope that I can keep this up seeing that the previous week I shot a 112 on the same course. Need to work a lot on my chipping. Putting is starting to get much better versus my previous awful which means it can still be pretty pathetic by any standard. Looking for more consistency everywhere else because I guess that maybe 25% of those shots may end up off the fairway. Good part was that they were all tight enough so that not one of them ended up crossing onto another hole's fairway. Lost 3 balls though. One might still be up a tree somewhere, and two in the water.

You played very well Golf Chick, alot better than the last time we played.. I can definately notice improvement!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks WR :wink: Def. attributed to my golf lessons :clapp:

This Saturday I shot a 96 on a par 62 course. My first below 100. Yay! 48 each on the front and back nines. Just hope that I can keep this up seeing that the previous week I shot a 112 on the same course. Need to work a lot on my chipping. Putting is starting to get much better versus my previous awful which means it can still be pretty pathetic by any standard. Looking for more consistency everywhere else because I guess that maybe 25% of those shots may end up off the fairway. Good part was that they were all tight enough so that not one of them ended up crossing onto another hole's fairway. Lost 3 balls though. One might still be up a tree somewhere, and two in the water.

Way to go rrhb! That's great that you broke 100! I hope you continue to break 100 :smile:

Thanks GolferGal. I mentioned this to an office buddy and we figured that it was going to be all downhill from this point on; as in this might very well be the last time that I ever see my score this low and so I should enjoy it while I can! LOL!

Thanks GolferGal. I mentioned this to an office buddy and we figured that it was going to be all downhill from this point on; as in this might very well be the last time that I ever see my score this low and so I should enjoy it while I can! LOL!

No way you will continue to see lower scores from here on out. :smile:

I hit the range tonight after work. I am LOVING the new irons and I think I quite possibly figured out my driver issues. Or maybe not. We shall see. I need to make a habit of having 1 or 2 range sessions a week. And I am most definitely going to take lessons soon.

I hit the range tonight after work. I am LOVING the new irons and I think I quite possibly figured out my driver issues. Or maybe not. We shall see. I need to make a habit of having 1 or 2 range sessions a week. And I am most definitely going to take lessons soon.

The range sessions are definitely a huge help. I have found that even if my range session isn't that great it seems to fix itself once I hit the course. The practice is such a huge help. That's great that you are loving your new irons. Having that kind of confidence will do wonders for your score on the course. I look forward to hearing how your next round goes.

The range sessions are definitely a huge help. I have found that even if my range session isn't that great it seems to fix itself once I hit the course. The practice is such a huge help. That's great that you are loving your new irons. Having that kind of confidence will do wonders for your score on the course. I look forward to hearing how your next round goes.

yeah I'm beginning to think my ADD is having an effect on my golf game. lol...I have a tendency to lose concentration quite easily and rush my shots. Maybe frequent range sessions will help with that. I practice alot in the yard but thats definitely not the same as the range. I think a few lessons may get me on the right track. I always feel like I'm almost on the verge of having everything click...but then I get frustrated and end up taking a step backwards in progression. Sigh...this damn game!

China Cat>Rider said:
yeah I'm beginning to think my ADD is having an effect on my golf game. lol...I have a tendency to lose concentration quite easily and rush my shots. Maybe frequent range sessions will help with that. I practice alot in the yard but thats definitely not the same as the range. I think a few lessons may get me on the right track. I always feel like I'm almost on the verge of having everything click...but then I get frustrated and end up taking a step backwards in progression. Sigh...this damn game!

My add is worse on the range than the course. If you are going to do that, make sure you are practicing something and taking a full preshot routine before shots. Otherwise you are just hitting balls and not improving.

Sigh... 107 yesterday. 1 stroke higher than my last round.

Unlike usual, I was actually pretty good off of the tee today. Kept almost all of my shots either in the fairway or just off. Decent distance as well. A good tee shot is so instrumental to a lower score for me.

Iron/hybrid approach shots were actually pretty good too. I only topped a few balls and and chunked one.

3 pars on the back nine. That's as good as I've ever done. I had some blowups though. On four holes I lost balls OOB. Two off the tee and two off of the fairway. That adds up to 8 strokes when you figure penalty + distance. Believe it or not, it's actually very rare for me to lose more than one ball. I hadn't lost one for three rounds, so I was pretty bummed about that.

Bottom line is, MY PUTTING REALLY SUCKS RIGHT NOW. ARGHHHH! If I turned my 3-putts (and two 4-putts) into 2-putts I could have dropped around 15 strokes from my score. Truly pathetic and really annoying. I'm not lag putting well from distance and I'm missing too many 5 footers. Next trip out with the clubs will be to the practice green. I really believe that it's all mental, so I just need to get a little confidence with my putter.

I do feel like I've improved greatly. I'm making better contact than I ever have, accuracy is decent, and my (greenside) short game is good. I just need to put it all together. I really wish I had a warm-up facility at the course I've been playing. I'm so much better on the back 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back