Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
i figured he hit his 5 iron 185 yrds which was over the green - wouldnt 185 yards over the green be a diff hole lol

also: the texas wedge - lol who hasnt used that when they were on stroke 9 on a par4 hehe

I got that on the second read :D

i figured he hit his 5 iron 185 yrds which was over the green - wouldnt 185 yards over the green be a diff hole lol

also: the texas wedge - lol who hasnt used that when they were on stroke 9 on a par4 hehe

... or here in Florida a house or two.

Hey the texas wedge worked for Angel Cabrera the other day and he's a pro. I have no shame, any time I can use my putter i'll do it. Hell of a lot better than skulling it to the next tee box.

Sorry let me clarify, I have/had 170 as the distance for my 5i, hitting it clean (I hesitate to say pure) 185 yards put the shot 15 yards past the center of the green, in this case enough to miss the green and roll down the hill into a pond and there began the trouble on that hole.

golf is hard.

I first learned to golf about 25 years ago, and last year came off of a 10 year hiatus. I first broke 100 last month, but two weeks ago shot over 110 so I think I qualify for this club. A quick rundown of breaking 100 -- I hadn't played a full 18 since last November. Went out on the Rancho Las Palmas course in Palm Springs on a work outing. I was just hoping to break 100 for the first time and/or not embarass myself, but started out +11 on the first 5 holes. So I decided to ditch my driver and swing all long clubs softly . . . and finished the last 13 holes with +10 for a 92. No birdies, but nothing worse than a double. Unfortunately, I went out two weeks later on another course, "rediscovered" my slice and lost count when I went past 110.

This is what I think helped me most in breaking 100:

1. Driving: Went with the longest club I could keep straight off the tee, which was my 4 wood. Only good for 190 - 200 yards when I swing in control.

2. Long fairway shots: Never attempted my woods, and only used hybrids. Swing thought of "7-Up" (swing speed a 7 out of 10). Looked for a safe place to lay up anywhere within 100 yards.

3. Pitching & Chipping: Niblick! For anyone not breaking 100, an absolute godsend. Also, practiced chipping onto my couch each night while watching TV.

4. Putting: Drill from Phil Mickelson's "Secrets of the Short Game." Set 10 balls in a 3 foot radius around the hole, and hit them without pausing.

But when my slice is around, all hope of breaking 100 is lost. My last range session I seem to have fixed it, so I'm eager to get on a course again soon.

Here's a question for everybody :) Since I'm fairly new to golf, is it better to just practice and practice and practice or is it better to practice, take a break and then get back to practicing? I've found that when my swing is bad, it will stay bad for a while, so I'm wondering if you suggest to just keep hacking away (hee hee) or take a break for a few days and then come back to practicing and working on the swing again?

Here's a question for everybody :) Since I'm fairly new to golf, is it better to just practice and practice and practice or is it better to practice, take a break and then get back to practicing? I've found that when my swing is bad, it will stay bad for a while, so I'm wondering if you suggest to just keep hacking away (hee hee) or take a break for a few days and then come back to practicing and working on the swing again?

For me I space my practices out so no need for breaks. One thing to consider... make sure you practice with a purpose. Don't be one of those guys that stand in one place just blasting away. Do your alignment, routine, so on and so forth and read your misses and adjust accordingly. And don't forget your short game!

Hope this helps.

GC - I found that practicing helps... but nothing beats being out there on the course... you just can't practice all the shots you will have on the course.

That being said I am getting worse this year - so don't follow my advice. But my course opens on Friday so I plan on playing 4+ times (2*18 holes, 2*9 holes) a week and hitting the putting green at least 1 additional time per week.

When I am at the range and start having problems if I can't stop for 5 minutes and settle myself down then I'll switch to 1/4 and 1/2 swings. If I am swinging badly I know it is not likely that continuing to hit balls is going to stop it.

Sunday before my round I was all over the place at the range. I had to stop hitting balls it was so bad and embarrassing, on the course my contact was much better.

When I am at the range and start having problems if I can't stop for 5 minutes and settle myself down then I'll switch to 1/4 and 1/2 swings. If I am swinging badly I know it is not likely that continuing to hit balls is going to stop it.

Sunday before my round I was all over the place at the range. I had to stop hitting balls it was so bad and embarrassing, on the course my contact was much better.

I've actually done that. When my full swing was bad and my weight shifting was off, I went back to 3/4 swing and 1/2 swings with my feet together and voila, instant miracle. BUT when I went back to properly addressing the ball with a full swing, it went back to bad again :( I need to just learn to stop for a few minutes and just take a breather and everything...

For me I space my practices out so no need for breaks. One thing to consider... make sure you practice with a purpose. Don't be one of those guys that stand in one place just blasting away. Do your alignment, routine, so on and so forth and read your misses and adjust accordingly. And don't forget your short game!

Hope this helps.

GC - I found that practicing helps... but nothing beats being out there on the course... you just can't practice all the shots you will have on the course.

That being said I am getting worse this year - so don't follow my advice. But my course opens on Friday so I plan on playing 4+ times (2*18 holes, 2*9 holes) a week and hitting the putting green at least 1 additional time per week.

Thanks for the advice guys! Its nice getting a different perspective on things. Now, putting them into practice...another story :wink:

If you can afford it, I find the best fix is a lesson. Too often I find that my self-fixes just introduce new problems, and the cycle goes on and on . . .

If you can afford it, I find the best fix is a lesson. Too often I find that my self-fixes just introduce new problems, and the cycle goes on and on . . .

Actually, I've just switched to another instructor. I can hit fine with him there, but when I'm out practicing at the range, its horrendous :nono:

My instructor told me to stop hitting balls if I'm having one of those horrible range sessions. He said to take some practice swings and use the drill he taught me to feel my shoulder turn. As he put it, there is no reason to destroy your confidence by getting frustrated and hitting the ball even worse.

I haven't been to the range in a while and don't plan on going any time soon. I get enough swings in at the course, with the added benefit of short/long grass and different scenarios.

Okay, I know how that feels. I've often wondered how much my instructor would charge to follow me around the course every time I play. :)
Actually, I've just switched to another instructor. I can hit fine with him there, but when I'm out practicing at the range, its horrendous :nono:

Okay, I know how that feels. I've often wondered how much my instructor would charge to follow me around the course every time I play. :)

My previous instructor went on the course with me a few times. After a few lessons, I'd combine 2 lessons together for a full hour and she'd be my caddy for that time instead of me at the range hitting balls. And she'd give me an on-course lesson. I wonder if my new instructor will do that as well...hmmmmm...

Some of the great words of golf wisdom I remember came from Tommy Armour. He said, "Play the shot that's the easiest to play, and play the shot that will make your next shot the easiest."

He used an example of playing with a guy who routinely shot in the low 90s. On the first hole, the guy had 200 yards to the green and he pulled out his 5 iron. Tommy made him put it back in his bag and hit an 8 iron. He hit it up short of the green, pitched up and made his par putt. With Tommy as his "caddy", the guy shot 76 that day.

Golf is a ridicuously hard game. That's why it's so immensely satisfying when you make a birdie or par, or shoot a low score.

I have had 2 lessons with a very good instructor so far this year. He completely reworked everything from my grip and setup through the swing. He made a point of showing me why I needed to do what I was doing so when I start hitting the ball poorly I can look at what I was doing wrong and fix it myself. I think that's a great way to do it, and for that reason I absolutely recommend taking a few lessons.

Well, I failed to break 100 again this week. Started off parring the first two par 4s, which I have never done on any course. But my tee shot started slicing, so I went OB off of two tee shots, and lost a nice fairway shot when it hit a cartpath and disappeared. Add to that two missed putts from inside 3 feet and one "3 stroke bunker", and the 100 was gone.

Hitting the range after work today to get acquainted with the new driver. Then playing 18 tomorrow. Hope to have my first sub-100 round of the year...

Re: Trying to Break 100

China Cat>Rider said:
Hitting the range after work today to get acquainted with the new driver. Then playing 18 tomorrow. Hope to have my first sub-100 round of the year...
Good luck man. What kind of driver did you get?

Good luck China!

what range and where ya playing China??? might run into you, ya never know

Good luck man. What kind of driver did you get?
I ordered a Callaway FT-IQ I-MIX from callypreowned...got it for dirt cheap with the Mitsu Fubuki shaft.

what range and where ya playing China??? might run into you, ya never know
the range at blackwood in douglassville tonight. we have a 2:10 tee time at Linfield National tomorrow in Pottstown.

well...I shot a 108 today...BUT...the weather was crazy. 40 mph winds and I'm not exaggerating. I don't think I have ever played in wind like this. It would just knock the ball dead out of the air. I thought we were playing in the british open. We are going to go out at 7:30 tomorrow morning again. Same weather conditions in the forecast so will be interesting to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back