X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by White Rhino View Post
    Hi my name is White Rhino and I too have a problem breaking 100. (pause for greeting from other members)

My issues are similar to those previously posted and and I am sure similar to what will be posted after me. I have a problem with hitting too many dumb shots per round, usually these appear within a distance of 70 yards and closer to the hole, I slow down my swing causing a chunk or a 15 yard shot. Then of course I get and I proceed to do it again (or even twice more) before I even get to the green. I am learning to lessen these opportunities each round by utilizing course management and not being driven by my ego and not trying to reach the green when i am still 260 yards out and instead try to position my shots each hole so I can hit the ball from outside the "100 yard zone". I also find myself being too "rigid" in club selection, assuming every shot from a certain distance I must hit with the same club every time instead of being more fluid and hitting the club I am comfortable with. So what if I take a 5 iron out from 60 yards out if I can half swing it and punch it to the green, there is no place on the scorecard for pretty shots, just a score so why should I really care how I get there... just get there (for now).

As for a solution, I feel I simply need to be patient and get more course time. I do not think going to the range is an answer at this time because probably like many of you I am a wonderful range player. Everytime I go to the range I am hitting 95% of the balls straight as an arrow, can hit them short or long, hit all the shots, my driver always seems to go straight as well. My goal is to get my Rhino butt out on a golf course every day (or as often as possible) at twilight time. There is a corse near my place that after 4:30 it is $10 to walk. So I can get some excercise in and improve my game at the same time. I might not even keep score, just practice and try to enjoy the game and let it come to me.

I will come back here and let you all know how I am doing and I want to hear how you all are as well. jdjanda, maybe in the future, you can bring some chips or sodas for the group, might be a nice thing.
    (in a sad tone) hi white rhino
    In my Red Extreme Sport II Bag
    Woods SQ Sumo 5000 10.5*, VR Pro 15* Project X 5.5 Shaft
    Founders Club Double Sole 18*; 21*
    Irons: G15's 4-PW;
    Wedges: CG15 54* Black Pearl Vokey SM 60* Tour Chrome
    Putter: Daytona Ghost 1 Thanks to AND TM
    Golf Ball: Penta
    i nominate clay as jr golf poster/thread starter of the century
    Bogey Russ
    1. Clay is a genius
    Yoccos1981

Comment

You will do it GG.. I know you will. Dont let the game beat you!!!! Go have fun with it. And if you dont hit the ball 300 yards with your driver but only hit it 100 yards then hit it 100 yards straight and take another club and hit the ball another 100 yards and you will be at or near most greens in 3 or 4 shots, then chip and putt and then go on to the next hole and do the same. If you did that for 18 holes you might be suprised what you scored.. and even if it was 135, who realy cares????? I am know at the end of the day golf is just a game and you have a great man who loves you at home and a cute puppy that will sit by you even if you shoot a 8 or higher on every hole. ( JB might not but Eliie will for sure) And never worry about what people think, never let it bother you!!! You are entitled to have fun with this game just like everyone else!!!
      Great points!! I don't let the game let me down. But I know I can't get better if I don't practice.
      Follow THP on Facebook!

Comment

You definately do GC. I have seen you play and you have skills. I have told you before when we played stop worring about everything else and enjoy the game for what it is. And if bby some chance you never break 100, who realy cares?!?!? Not the end of the world.

Comment

Well, a small step backward today.

Started the front nine with a 50. I was feeling good and making good contact. Had one blow-up hole that cost me a couple strokes.

Got to the 10th tee and hit the ball in an area that was marked "ground under repair". They are installing more drainage I guess. I dropped and was in the rough about 130 out with the wind at my back. I also had a 20 foot tree in between me and the green. I picked and 8i and let 'er rip. I end up hitting the flag stick and the ball stops 6 inches from the hole. Go to the green and tap in for MY FIRST BIRDIE YAY! I did check with the pro afterwards to make sure that I played the drop right and he said I did.

The next 8 holes I made 55 strokes. It was bad. Very, very bad. I finished with a 108. Oh well. There's always next time!
          G30 SF Tec 10
          CP1 SuperSpoon 16.5
          Aeroburner 3h
          Vapor Flex 25
          Gmax 4-PW
          TK 15 48-60
          Studio Stock 2
          Pro V1

Comment

Originally posted by hawk308 View Post
            Well, a small step backward today.

Started the front nine with a 50. I was feeling good and making good contact. Had one blow-up hole that cost me a couple strokes.

Got to the 10th tee and hit the ball in an area that was marked "ground under repair". They are installing more drainage I guess. I dropped and was in the rough about 130 out with the wind at my back. I also had a 20 foot tree in between me and the green. I picked and 8i and let 'er rip. I end up hitting the flag stick and the ball stops 6 inches from the hole. Go to the green and tap in for MY FIRST BIRDIE YAY! I did check with the pro afterwards to make sure that I played the drop right and he said I did.

The next 8 holes I made 55 strokes. It was bad. Very, very bad. I finished with a 108. Oh well. There's always next time!
            But you have that memory of the birdie and that made today's not so hot score, not so bad.

Comment

But you have that memory of the birdie and that made today's not so hot score, not so bad.
              exactly. I can't remember any rounds that I had a good score but I can recall the birdies and great shots. Thats what keeps us coming back for more...to quote Jack Nicklaus "Sometimes the biggest problem is in your head. You've got to believe you can play a shot instead of wondering where your next bad shot is coming from."
              In the Warbird bag

FT-IQ I-Mix Driver
              Baffler Rail F 3W - Thanks Cobra & !
              Component 5W
              Component 24* & 27* Hybrids
              FT 4-PW Irons
              X-Tour Vintage 54* SW
              Component 50*GW
              60*LW
              Tracy II Putter

Comment

The funny thing is the birdy was very anticlimactic. I just walked up and tapped in like it was no big deal. Will remember that shot forever though. Saved the ball (after I kissed it haha).
                G30 SF Tec 10
                CP1 SuperSpoon 16.5
                Aeroburner 3h
                Vapor Flex 25
                Gmax 4-PW
                TK 15 48-60
                Studio Stock 2
                Pro V1

Comment

Originally posted by China Cat>Rider View Post
                  exactly. I can't remember any rounds that I had a good score but I can recall the birdies and great shots. Thats what keeps us coming back for more...to quote Jack Nicklaus "Sometimes the biggest problem is in your head. You've got to believe you can play a shot instead of wondering where your next bad shot is coming from."
                  Well said Jack!!

Comment

The funny thing is the birdy was very anticlimactic. I just walked up and tapped in like it was no big deal. Will remember that shot forever though. Saved the ball (after I kissed it haha).
                    I remember my first birdie as well. A little more antagonizing since my putt wasn't a gimme but it just made it feel oh so better. Since then I have this mindset that I own that hole. Since then I've only bogeyed that hole once. Watch and see Hawk, if that's a course you normally play you'll see that you'll have an easier go at that hole from now on. It's amazing what confidence can do to your game.
                    In my Ogio Syncro:
                    Driver: R9 SuperTri 9.5* w/ Fubuki 73S
                    Fairway: 910F 15* w/ Diamana 'ahina
                    Hybrid: Burner SF 2.0 3h w/ PX 6.0 18*
                    Hybrid: 910H 21* w/ Diamana 'ahina
                    Irons: Razr X Tours w/ Rifle 6.0 5-PW
                    Wedges: XFT's 50*, 54*, 58*
                    Putter: Ghost Spider 33"
                    "不要太认真对待生活...你永远活着出去"

Comment

Congrats on your first bird, more will come.

Comment

Results from Sunday
                        3 Pars, 6 Bogeys, and 5 doubles. The other 4 holes were +16 :( Limiting those 4 holes to doubles would have resulted in a 96.

Putts 39, 3 GIR and 2 Up/Down

When I started last summer I could not hit a green to save my life.

Comment

Originally posted by jdjanda View Post
                          Results from Sunday
                          3 Pars, 6 Bogeys, and 5 doubles. The other 4 holes were +16 :( Limiting those 4 holes to doubles would have resulted in a 96.

Putts 39, 3 GIR and 2 Up/Down

When I started last summer I could not hit a green to save my life.
                          Are those holes the result of penalties and/or shots duffed/skulled/thinned?
                          In my Ogio Syncro:
                          Driver: R9 SuperTri 9.5* w/ Fubuki 73S
                          Fairway: 910F 15* w/ Diamana 'ahina
                          Hybrid: Burner SF 2.0 3h w/ PX 6.0 18*
                          Hybrid: 910H 21* w/ Diamana 'ahina
                          Irons: Razr X Tours w/ Rifle 6.0 5-PW
                          Wedges: XFT's 50*, 54*, 58*
                          Putter: Ghost Spider 33"
                          "不要太认真对待生活...你永远活着出去"

Comment

Hi everyone. Brand new to the site; actually joined because of this thread and a club review from the site. Thanks for this thread, makes me feel a lot better about my game knowing there are other hackers out there working towards the same goal.
                            I normally shoot about 100. Recently had a series of lessons, worked really hard on my swing. Haven't taken the new swing out on the course yet, but I'm hoping the work will pay off with a sub-century round. Can't wait till Monday!

Comment

Welcome Hosel... this is a great site to help everyone. Go to the check in desk thread and say hello

Comment

Originally posted by Spank818 View Post
                                Are those holes the result of penalties and/or shots duffed/skulled/thinned?
                                All of the above; first hole sliced OB +3. Hole 4, drove right into the trees, tried to play safe and chip out to FW, hit it short under a tree that knocked down my next shot +4. Hole 16, 5I very well struck 185 yards over the green down the hill into the water, chipped it through the green and into the bunker +5. Then 18 I duffed my PW on the second shot into the left bunker, it was deep and the sand was wet, took a few to get out and down +4.

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X