Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife wants to go to the Top Golf in Cincinnati. How’s it work? Do you have to make reservations? I assume you just bring your own clubs?

They have clubs there to use for free. You book a bay and there are a bunch of different games you can play. Lot of fun but a bit pricey. Good experience though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, lots of votes.

Since last October I've hit 74.1% of fairways, but am not getting much distance. It has been cold and windy and there is not much roll, but still there is just not much distance...

I think I have a launch angle and spin problem with the ball going too high and being too adversely effected by wind. I hit a natural fade and left to right winds are the worst. When I play with others who I don't think are bringing that much speed either and sometimes they hit it farther with a lower trajectory.

It is very tempting to try to get a lower spin driver, but then I think back to past years when I've had real issues staying in bounds and at that time I would have loved to have had a fairway finding option.

You may wonder how short is short? Average driver over that time period is 203 with a 75% percentile drive of 213. I've been playing mostly as a single so it is easier to track stats. That said, I'm not measuring driver distance anymore whether I'm in a group or alone. It has gotten in my head and created issues.

Dave

I know not messing with it it is the right call. The Siren's Song of distance gets my hypnotized at times, but driving is not the reason why I've scored 49, 48, and 47 this year. It is not practicing lag putting enough and putting like a duffer.

I've had my share of frustration the past few years with hitting balls OB or behind trees. I used to miss both left and right. Now, I've eliminated the pull miss and the normal left to right fade is playable. The only ones that really get me now are: 1) not accounting for a L to R wind properly, 2) the dreaded heel strike. that goes hard right.

My fairway % when measured in 2017 was 33%. What changed? Part of it is avoid the pull by sequencing my lower body better, but mostly where I aim. I aim left edge of the fairway now. I'm confident I won't hit it left. Good shots fade into the middle of the fairway. Terrible heel strikes may miss the fairway right. Wind balls on L to R wind may miss right.

Dave, keep that driver. Those are good stats. Seriously, I'd give a couple of toes for those numbers. As your unpaid life coach, I recommend spending the money on a 2-club fairway wood/hybrid fitting. THAT's where you will make your hay.

Thanks Coach Ham! I waffle a lot on the long clubs. Right now I'm going 3 iron and 5 wood. Irons are easy to hit straight-ish, the bad ones just end up short not wayward left or right, and they are good into the wind. Bad hybrid swings could go anywhere. I'm hoping with practice I can tame the 5 wood and get good distance out of it.

If you are hitting fairways at that rate then I wouldn't change a thing. There are ways to increase speed to get the distance back: Super Speed Golf, some great stretching routines for flexibility, yoga all of these will help with speed as they increase flexibility.

Thanks for the tips Snicker. The other thing I need to work on is consistent tee height. I don't control that very well and have hit some very top of the face shots that lose big distance.

I would agree with you being wary of low spin drivers - I suspect that fewer of us can actually play low spin clubs than we think. Spin is generally your friend on borderline shots - I found out as much when I tried my 3w with weight forward - unless I was absolutely buttoning it, I just didn't get the carry that I got with weight back. I didn't get that perfect strike 25% of the time (ie way lower than your fairways found %age) - even if they felt pretty good to me, they just fell out of the air or got exaggerated sideways movement.

I'd be tempted to mess about with the neck on your Driver first, those Titleists are pretty flexible - what is your Driver set at? If you're at A1 (ie standard), you have a minimum of 5 setting you can explore that will potentially lower flight and/or move you a little left, take off some fade...all without sacrificing the driver that clearly works for you. Just some relatively gentle massaging to the underlying comfort :good:

Late last season I was using B2 and this year I've been using A2. In Titleist speak B2 is stated loft, 0.75* upright and A2 is stated loft, 1.5* upright. I'm planning to go with a softer flex shaft and D2 which is -0.75* loft and 1.5* upright to try and bring the flight down some.

Thanks all
Dave

@dthrog00 I will see if I can post a video for the tee height I did for a guy. It makes for consistent tee height every time.

@dthrog00 I will see if I can post a video for the tee height I did for a guy. It makes for consistent tee height every time.

Awesome, thanks. I have tees with markers, the blue ones and yellow ones. Blue ones are too high. Yellow ones might too low. DOH! Maybe I should just go with the yellow and try it out to have the ball the same height every time.

Dave

Nah, I'm impervious to damage! It was a value-added feature when I sold my soul for these mad golf skilz.

You're kinda my hero, lately. Let me know if you feel the need to adopt a 47 year old golf junkie who loves to play the guitar. The wife will have to go, though. You know, so we can sh*t with the door open, talk about p***y, go on riverboat gambling trips & make our own beef jerky.

If you can see it well enough I'll have someone else film while I'm doing it. I have used this method for quite awhile now and it works for me. You can always make minor adjustments up or down and still be consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9U1ipw0Yzo

My wife wants to go to the Top Golf in Cincinnati. How’s it work? Do you have to make reservations? I assume you just bring your own clubs?

There's a $5 membership fee when you go the first time. You can book online. they have clubs there, but they're only okay. I usually just bring 4 clubs - driver, hybrid, 7i and pitching wedge. they have lots of different games to play. We usually play the basic TopGolf and hit two balls each and then switch. They have targets that you aim at and you get points for getting them in the targets. It's a lot of fun and it has really improved my aim. If you play from the top deck the chipping target is hard to hit since it's so close. Here the longest target is about 200 yds. When you sign up check out the promotions for discounts. Mornings are the cheapest here $25 per hour per bay (up to 6 people in a bay). Food is okay and drinks can be expensive. A friend described it as a bowling alley for golf. Some places charge for reservations, especially on weekends.

If you can see it well enough I'll have someone else film while I'm doing it. I have used this method for quite awhile now and it works for me. You can always make minor adjustments up or down and still be consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9U1ipw0Yzo

Great tip and is the tee the same height as the ball when set next to it! It looked a bit lower just want to clarify! Thx snicker dog

Great tip and is the tee the same height as the ball when set next to it! It looked a bit lower just want to clarify! Thx snicker dog

Yes the top of the tee is even with the top of the ball while the ball is on the ground. When the ball is on the tee it will be slightly less than half a ball above the driver crown while the driver is resting on the ground.
I do hit up on the ball, but very little. Just enough to have a positive angle of attack.
I will try and get a picture of how it sits tomorrow with a address and face on pic to make it easier to see the ball and clubhead.

Yes the top of the tee is even with the top of the ball while the ball is on the ground. When the ball is on the tee it will be slightly less than half a ball above the driver crown while the driver is resting on the ground.
I do hit up on the ball, but very little. Just enough to have a positive angle of attack.
I will try and get a picture of how it sits tomorrow with a address and face on pic to make it easier to see the ball and clubhead.

I always am messing around with tee height so this is on the list to try this weekend. Appreciate the info

You're kinda my hero, lately. Let me know if you feel the need to adopt a 47 year old golf junkie who loves to play the guitar. The wife will have to go, though. You know, so we can sh*t with the door open, talk about p***y, go on riverboat gambling trips & make our own beef jerky.

Well.... I’m about to become your not hero, I’m afraid. I’m a long time vegetarian, I must have the door closed when powdering my nose, I’m too cheap to gamble, and my wife is definitely a keeper.

However, I’m open to adopting you, I’m a decent bass player, and I’m willing to just hold down the low end while you solo to your heart’s content. I’m into heavy stoner/psychedelic blues, and if a guy doesn’t use a wah pedal, I just don’t trust him.

I always am messing around with tee height so this is on the list to try this weekend. Appreciate the info

For what it is worth, I used the creases in my left index finger to determine tee height. It’s pretty consistent.

Hey guys, I just wanted to join in here. My first round was 123. 24 strokes to go!

I saw your thread on going lefty. Welcome aboard.

There's a $5 membership fee when you go the first time. You can book online. they have clubs there, but they're only okay. I usually just bring 4 clubs - driver, hybrid, 7i and pitching wedge. they have lots of different games to play. We usually play the basic TopGolf and hit two balls each and then switch. They have targets that you aim at and you get points for getting them in the targets. It's a lot of fun and it has really improved my aim. If you play from the top deck the chipping target is hard to hit since it's so close. Here the longest target is about 200 yds. When you sign up check out the promotions for discounts. Mornings are the cheapest here $25 per hour per bay (up to 6 people in a bay). Food is okay and drinks can be expensive. A friend described it as a bowling alley for golf. Some places charge for reservations, especially on weekends.

That sounds like it could end up as a three digit dollar night.

Went to the store as I was driving by anyway. Got the shirts. F8 4h is out of stock, it was an error in webshop. Store owner promised to get back to me tomorrow re how to resolve this. Obviously F8s are hard to come by if it's out of stock. Was a bargain anyway, but I could settle having F9 for the same price :)

Woohooo \o/ They found my 4h!!! :clapp: They have been preparing for huge sale event and there has been lot of temps to help them out. So the club was taken out of rack, misplaced and not documented. But now it's ready for collection and I can start bunting with a longer hybrid as well.

That sounds like it could end up as a three digit dollar night.

They have one in St. Louis . It cost less then going to a Cardinals game when it is all said and done . The beer is cheaper anyway.

Whole lotta nothin' going on here. I'm a bachelor for the next 8 days, as my wife is in Qatar right now, heading to Nepal again.

Whole lotta nothin' going on here. I'm a bachelor for the next 8 days, as my wife is in Qatar right now, heading to Nepal again.

Mabbe a littl gawf, perhaps?

My wife (and I, I suppose) has a horse. His name is Charley. I lovingly refer to him as "Carte blanche for anything golf related I want."
Charley Horse? That's gotta hurt lol

For what it is worth, I used the creases in my left index finger to determine tee height. It’s pretty consistent.

I have short stubby fingers, hows that gonna work? :alien:

I have short stubby fingers, hows that gonna work? :alien:
Maybe you could buy finger extensions? That's stylish, at least here in Europe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back