Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woohoo, count me in. Been away from the game too long and re-developed some long lost habits. Went in to Golftec a couple weeks ago for a swing evaluation and figured out some of the things I was doing wrong. Read Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible and been adapting some of his ideas. Have definitely seen some improvement since I started again in February, but it is a process. Saw some more consistency on Wednesday and things are getting there. Looking forward to hopefully breaking into the 90s this summer.

I've been thinking about this thread since I posted in it, and I've decided that I'm going to break 100 on Monday when I play with Wade. I'm pretty sure that if I spend 30 minutes chipping and putting ahead of the round, along with my usual 45 minutes on the range hitting through my bag, I'll have it.

I'm kinda stepping out on a ledge here by proclaiming that I'm gonna do it, but I figure hey...if I actually do it, maybe somebody else will realize that the only things they're missing are focus and commitment.

Stay tuned!

My goal Friday was 44.
I didn't make it.
I shot a 53.

I drove the ball decently. Hit 4 fairways, just missing on the others.
On the par 3's however, I was +5 due to my inability to pitch from wet conditions, I was digging my pitches and not allowing the club to bounce off the turf.

I did manage a par, and I did sink a 47' birdie.

There are some positives, I just need to strike the ball better, so that wet conditions don't affect my game as severely.

Too much to do this weekend to golf, but I may make it out a couple times this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My goal Friday was 44.
I didn't make it.
I shot a 53.

I drove the ball decently. Hit 4 fairways, just missing on the others.
On the par 3's however, I was +5 due to my inability to pitch from wet conditions, I was digging my pitches and not allowing the club to bounce off the turf.

I did manage a par, and I did sink a 47' birdie.

There are some positives, I just need to strike the ball better, so that wet conditions don't affect my game as severely.

Too much to do this weekend to golf, but I may make it out a couple times this week.

That's hurts me as well. If it's dry, I can strike the ball pretty well, but as soon as it gets a little wet, my distances go way down due to fat shots.

I broke 100 a couple (twice) times last summer, and broke 90 for the first time ever today. The best decision i ever made was putting the driver away. Its really tough to do, but it's kept me in so many more fairways, which makes everything easier. Just keep working, it will happen!

2 Years ago, I was shooting in the mid-high 80's consistently. Since then, I've developed some really bad habits that have been impossible to get out of.

The only thing worse than never breaking 100 is to have shot in the 80's consistently and now struggle to break 100 without ever quitting playing. It's like someone flipped a switch one day and I forgot how to play golf.

I'll add myself to this list. My main issue is if I hit a bad shot it gets to me, if I hit 2 or 3 in a row there is no coming back for me, I rage inside and it takes me a few holes to get back my composure. I know I just need to take it on the chin and keep focused but I find it hard. I'll shoot 110-115 but always feel like I'm not far off breaking 100 due to my meltdowns adding so many shots. Closest I've got is 106.

I've been thinking about this thread since I posted in it, and I've decided that I'm going to break 100 on Monday when I play with Wade. I'm pretty sure that if I spend 30 minutes chipping and putting ahead of the round, along with my usual 45 minutes on the range hitting through my bag, I'll have it.

I'm kinda stepping out on a ledge here by proclaiming that I'm gonna do it, but I figure hey...if I actually do it, maybe somebody else will realize that the only things they're missing are focus and commitment.

Stay tuned!

Good luck dude I know you can do it. The short game practice should help you out.

Broke a 100 with a 97 yesterday. First time on one of the other local courses this year. Wildly inconsistent. Hit 4 tee shots oob. Hit a 7 iron to two feet on an uphill 165 yard par 3, 2nd hole. Was really playing to stay out of trouble but struck it perfect & got a little help from the wind. Lipped out a birdie putt from 8 feet on #9. Got up & down from over a bunker to a tough green on #10. Really fast greens all day. I can't imagine how fast they were before the rain on Saturday night. Hooked a drive on 520 yard par 5 16th into some trees. Second shot I hit a 5 wood over most of the trees to get back in play. Then hit a hybrid 195 yards uphill from the rough to the front fringe. Got another up & down par when the rest of the group took 8's. A whole lot of ugly in between those 4 holes.

We"ll play home course next weekend for the first time in a month when I last shot an 87. Hopefully a return to the Breaking 90 club with dreams of Breaking 80...

Stay tuned!

Just finished. 50 on the front, 48 on the back. 32 putts...putting poorly or it couldashouldawoulda been 95.

Done and done. :)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Just finished. 50 on the front, 48 on the back. 32 putts...putting poorly or it couldashouldawoulda been 95.

You called your shot. Great job man!!!

Congrats. Now for the breaking 90 thread.:act-up:

2 Years ago, I was shooting in the mid-high 80's consistently. Since then, I've developed some really bad habits that have been impossible to get out of.

The only thing worse than never breaking 100 is to have shot in the 80's consistently and now struggle to break 100 without ever quitting playing. It's like someone flipped a switch one day and I forgot how to play golf.

Well, i went out and shot back above 100 today (52/52). It all went down hill the last 3 holes of each 9.

Well, i went out and shot back above 100 today (52/52). It all went down hill the last 3 holes of each 9.

That's why I plan on sticking around this thread until I can do it consistently. It's nice to have a thread where everyone is in the same boat and we can put our heads together on what it is that's keeping us over 100.

As someone who bounces from 106 to 89 quite often, for me it's all about getting off the tee decently. My short game is not spectacular, but it's not horrible by my standards. When I keep the ball in play off the tee, I score well. When my 2nd shots are punched back to the fairway or penalties, it really adds up quickly.

THIS IS ME ! I have been lapsing lately & its exactly as you say ... NOT GETTING OFF THE TEE & winding up OB. Recovery shots FTL. Picked up some good driving advice from GMac on Holly's show a couple weeks ago ... he never hits much more than 60% of his max power on drives. EVER. WHen I swing easy & let the club do the work - ball stays in play. Why is it so hard to just swing easy when we put a golf club in our hands ??

I should get in on this! Living in northern New England means no golf from October through April, usually. Rust accumulates in thick layers around here. I've gotten out only once so far this year and shot a 58 on a local 9 hole course. 4 blow up holes! Anyway, since then, being a home office worker means I have had the opportunity to hit many, many short game shots in the back yard and field. Range is 10 yards out to 75 yards. I hit 20 - 40 balls a half dozen times every day it's not pouring rain.

I really think it's paying off. I've flattened my backswing a bit and moved an extra inch or two away from the ball and it's helping eliminate the pull shots I'm famous for. Accuracy and distance is light years better! I'm pretty confident that I can not only break 100 this year but maybe, just maybe, get that first stinkin birdie.

Congrats. Now for the breaking 90 thread.:act-up:

Ha ha! Not quite ready for that yet, but I did break 100 again today. I played with some buddies at WindTree in Mt. Juliet, TN and shot 48 on the front and 48 on the back for 96. I wasn't keeping score so no putt count, but it was raelly good. I had 2 3-putts, but maybe 8 1-putts.

Is there a 'breaking 95' thread? :)

I went out on Wednesday and played 9 holes after work and shot a 43. Probably the best I've hit the ball in 2 years. But I'm not going to call myself recovered yet, because I've claimed victory based on one round before and then went out and shot 106 the next time.

I don't get to try this weekend. I'm golfing two days but they're both scrambles. At least it's practice.

I don't get to try this weekend. I'm golfing two days but they're both scrambles. At least it's practice.

Get it in and get better. Maybe you can break 100 when you're playing with me sometime!

Get it in and get better. Maybe you can break 100 when you're playing with me sometime!

I would have, but all the shivering distracted me.

So took a lesson on Tuesday, playing the same golf course this sunday where I shot a 104 a couple weeks ago. The goal is to beat this score, if I can play a 48 in the back 9 like the front 9, I can do it. Hopefully anyways. I will be going to the range tomorrow to work on what I learned from my lesson which was to work in hitting down and left.

Ha ha! Not quite ready for that yet, but I did break 100 again today. I played with some buddies at WindTree in Mt. Juliet, TN and shot 48 on the front and 48 on the back for 96. I wasn't keeping score so no putt count, but it was raelly good. I had 2 3-putts, but maybe 8 1-putts.

Is there a 'breaking 95' thread? :)

Way to go Dave. I've never played Windtree, but I'll bet it's harder than Smyrna. Sounds like progress.

Way to go Dave. I've never played Windtree, but I'll bet it's harder than Smyrna. Sounds like progress.

Thanks! Ya, it is harder than Smyrna, but what isn't? We should meet out there sometime to give it a whirl...beautiful course IMO. I also enjoy Pine Creek.

Also, to clarify...I said that I wasn't keeping score. What I meant was that I wasn't the person keeping the score on the card...I was definitely scoring my round.

97 for my early morning round. 7:20 to 10:30, got stuck behind of a very slow 3 man flight for 5 holes on the second 9, but im still happy with the time.
Could have scored much better, but i lost 7 balls to our terrible balleating clover infestation. Particularly n the way back into the sun. No chance of finding anything with inpenetrable clover around and wet grass glittering white whereever it pleases. Not if i cant even roughly see where the ball went. At least 3 of the lost balls felt well hit. Another i had given up on already after shanking a provisional was found sitting sng in the middle of the fairway... only after i almost walked over it.

Happy times: 3w going well :)
1 sand save, 4 other sand shots left makeable putts.
No bad chips.
DisTances of new irons are working out, had a few very good shots with 7i and less
3 pars
Not so happy: hit 3 drives, results made me stick to the 3w.
3 triples
Missed said makeable putts, left both my realistic birdie chances short, missed one inside of 4ft.
Longest made putt was just about 15ft
Lost my rhythm/feel after 13 holes, not used to playing 18, and certainly not at this pace

Played the par 37 back nine for league last night.
Chipped pretty good, putted ok, didn't kill myself with the driver.
Improvement is starting to be noticed.

Shot a 50, so I'm right there.

Just have to do it consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back