Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about this thread since I posted in it, and I've decided that I'm going to break 100 on Monday when I play with Wade. I'm pretty sure that if I spend 30 minutes chipping and putting ahead of the round, along with my usual 45 minutes on the range hitting through my bag, I'll have it.

That's a long time on the range before a round. How many balls do you hit? I think I would be exhausted by hole 10.

Although I have broken 100 twice, I'm still working to break it consistently as I average around a 103 or so.

Shot a 101 today - 50 on the front, 51 on the back. Putted 38 times, hit 43% of fairways but only 3 GIR. Focused today on pivoting around a braced right leg and transferring my weight over during the downswing, as shifting my weight way to the right and never getting it back up front has been a big problem and resulted in a lot of fat shots and steep swing plane in my past. Drove the ball well until the last few holes when I suddenly struggled to get the club on the correct path and began popping everything straight up in the air. Played with a 60° wedge for the first time today and worked to get used to chipping distance with it (hit a lot of chips that came up way short). Feel good about how I struck the ball, but missed a bunch of greens to the left. Now that I feel OK about balance and weight shift, next thing to work on is correcting a consistent pull which I'm sure is the result of me coming over the top. How I'll fix that I don't know - but I'll start experimenting.

97 for my early morning round. 7:20 to 10:30, got stuck behind of a very slow 3 man flight for 5 holes on the second 9, but im still happy with the time.
Could have scored much better, but i lost 7 balls to our terrible balleating clover infestation. Particularly n the way back into the sun. No chance of finding anything with inpenetrable clover around and wet grass glittering white whereever it pleases. Not if i cant even roughly see where the ball went. At least 3 of the lost balls felt well hit. Another i had given up on already after shanking a provisional was found sitting sng in the middle of the fairway... only after i almost walked over it.

Played the par 37 back nine for league last night.
Chipped pretty good, putted ok, didn't kill myself with the driver.
Improvement is starting to be noticed.

Shot a 50, so I'm right there.

Just have to do it consistently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Keep up the good work fellas! I've had a couple rounds under 100 now too, it's time for me to do it consistently as well.

53 on the front 9, lost two balls on the first hole. Off the tee horrendous, with me taking lesson on Tuesday brain was on overdrive. Got rained out on back 9.

Went 47/47 today. My putting was really good today, but my irons were all over the place. Started off really badly but finished the front 9 par par birdie par. Just wish i could get more consistent. Its frustrating to watch my rounds fluctuate by ~ 10 strokes a round

We've been getting lots of rain for the past week, so my friday round will be pretty iffy as far as scoring low. I'm not good on wet fairways, with lots of fat shots, so I'm not playing my best right now. Last year when it was a very dry summer, I was shooting in the 90's. So I guess if I can get under 100 when it's wet, I'll know I'm improving a lot.

Well I failed twice today to break 100 with a 119 and a 112! moments of brilliance were seen though.

I guess I could hang out in this thread. My game was... Inconsistent, at the New England Invitational. Shot a 107 on Saturday (it would've been waaaay worse, but I picked up), then shot an 85 on Sunday with some of the fellas that didn't leave one Saturday. It could've possibly been an 80 or 81 but I hooked multiple tee balls into the water on one hole. Inconsistent is probably putting it mildly. That's a pretty huge difference.

I can shoot well over 100 on any given day though.

I guess I could hang out in this thread. My game was... Inconsistent, at the New England Invitational. Shot a 107 on Saturday (it would've been waaaay worse, but I picked up), then shot an 85 on Sunday with some of the fellas that didn't leave one Saturday. It could've possibly been an 80 or 81 but I hooked multiple tee balls into the water on one hole. Inconsistent is probably putting it mildly. That's a pretty huge difference.

I can shoot well over 100 on any given day though.

I'm the same way. Shot 94 on Friday, 92 on Saturday and then 103 on Sunday all on the same course in the same conditions.

I'm in the trying to break 100 club as well.

things Im currently doing about it:

1: taking lessons every two weeks
2: lotta range time
3: taking the driver out of my bag for now. I can't hit it right now but I can't hit the irons fairly reliably. The driver is consistently losing me strokes on almost every hole. I'll return to it at a later time!

I bought a new putter today. That should fix everything.:beauty:

I bought a new putter today. That should fix everything.:beauty:

I've heard that a putter a week keeps the double bogeys at bay.

I've heard that a putter a week keeps the double bogeys at bay.

Well, I should at least be able to break 100 a couple of times while the honeymoon period lasts.

my biggest piece of advice for you that has dramatically lowered my scores on the golf course is COURSE MANAGEMENT... you said that consistently you hit your hybrid 200 yards which is pretty good, so I would say hit that off of most tees or a 3 wood if you have trouble with your driver. A bad hole starts with a bad tee shot usually so by doing this you can almost guaranteed to keep the ball in play and leave yourself in a better position. You may be further away from the hole off the tee but its a lot better than being in the water, rough, or even OB ! Hope this helps and good luck for the rest of the season

The last round I played I only hit driver 3 times in18 holes because many 3w is more consistent and i visit it between 235 to 250 off the tee. Not only that but there aren't many holes that fit my shot with driver. If I'm inside 100 off the tee it makes a tricky approach.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Can I join?

I haven't even played a full 18, just keep hacking away at the executive nine. I did shoot +11 on it today though, but usually I'm +15 to +18. Above average putting day, below average iron shots.

Started last summer and have been practicing twice a week. No lessons yet.

This year I've straightened out my slice a fair amount and have been working on my chipping a TON. Always been a decent putter but getting a Spider helped quite a bit.

Next step is to learn to hit my 3 wood and driver so I can get some distance off the tee. I think I've got decent power for being 5'7, can usually get my 3h or 4h out around 200 yards. But I'd like to have a 225 and 250+ yard shot at some point in time.

Hit 100 again today, so many putts and bad drives.

Really felt a good round happening today, but didnt manage to break 100, maybe tomorrow.

Hit 100 again today, so many putts and bad drives.

Really felt a good round happening today, but didnt manage to break 100, maybe tomorrow.

Keep grinding! Work on the putting, bad drive is one shot per hole, but 3-4 putts per hole makes a whole lot bigger impact on your score. With 30 - 36 putts per round you'll be hitting 90's for sure!

Keep grinding! Work on the putting, bad drive is one shot per hole, but 3-4 putts per hole makes a whole lot bigger impact on your score. With 30 - 36 putts per round you'll be hitting 90's for sure!

Im at 35-40 putts [per 18 so its close/

I work on putting at home quite a bit, and even though putting on the carpet doesn't really mimic the speed of greens it seems to help me quite a bit. When I practice for 15-20 minutes per night, I'll typically feel more confident out on the greens and have a good putting round. On weeks when I don't putt around the house, I have days like yesterday with 38 putts.

While driving may only be one shot per hole, it can cost you a lot more than that if it's off. When I hit fairways, I score well. When you hit wayward drives, those punch shots back into play and penalty shots add up quickly.

Keep up the good work guys, you can do it!

Keep working away guys! But don't forget it's supposed to be fun too!

Finally did it today, and played really well until the final two holes (Started on 16) where i put up a ridiculous 17 strokes.

Wasn't even keeping my score so i didn't know i shot under 100 until after i was done.

82 strokes thru 16 holes then 17 strokes on the last 2.

Next Goal is to do it again.

20130615_152346.jpg

This is my second year playing and finally broke 100 the other day.. Had my first ever birdie on a par 5.... I made a conscious effort to no try to kill the ball and to always make sure I make the safer shot.. I limited my pin seeking on opted for just aiming for the center of the green...ended up shooting a 98... can't wait to try it again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back