Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I broke 100 for the first time ever today. Went round Throston which is in Hartlepool in 97
icon_cool.gif

Played 7,8 and 9 in level par and was putting for birdie on each on them holes anarl

Only had one huge mishap on when I got a 8 or a par 3 on the back 9
icon_evil.gif

Ended up with 5 pars in my round. Had about 6 decent birdie chances but couldn't convert any

All in all conditions were superb and I really enjoyed it. Great way to put a afternoon in

Three congratulations today, great job guys! I love seeing guys reach their goals.

Congrats to you guys who have broke 100! Great work and keep it up!

Friday I played the front nine four times because the back was under water. It was a par 35 and I shot a 51, 54, 54 and 48. It wasn't too bad since the course was so wet there wasn't any roll and I was left with a lot of longer shots to the greens. I think it's going to work out well chipping with my 7I. I just have to get the distances down. The same with my new putter. Hopefully it will dry up by next friday and I can see what happens when I'm not constantly plugging.

Well, it seems that I'm recovered. Shot 93 and 95 and this weekend.

I shot a 111 yesterday on a course I have never played and then today 87 for a PB on a course I have never played. Go figure that, play with in yourself and focus on course management and it can be done no matter what.

Spent an hour at the driving range Saturday working on the driver and 3 wood, which might have messed up my swing with my hybrids. Played at a par-3 course yesterday and sliced my hybrid all three times I hit it. Going to have to work on the hybrids now.

On the plus side, I'm starting to establish yardages for my clubs, which is really helping me to figure out which club to hit, along with GPS apps on the phone. I'm getting much closer to greens on approach shots and even getting some one the green.

3 ~ 200
4 ~ 190
5 ~ 180
6 ~ 170
7 ~ 155
8 ~ 145
9 ~ 135
P ~ 125
A ~ 115
58* ~ 75

There's a gap between my A iron and 58* wedge (3/4 swing only), so I have a 54* on the way to hopefully give me around 90-100 or so with a full swing. I was working on a half-swing with the A but at this point I think I'd be more consistent with a full swing, especially since I don't use any driver or woods right now.

Also signed up for Golfshot, which is giving me some good feedback. My best stat is scrambling percentage, thanks to a lot of work I've put in on chipping and putting, along with a couple clubs that are easier to use and give me more confidence.

Managed to play 36 holes between Friday night and Sunday morning.

Shot my best ever round of 45 on Friday night and followed it up with a second best 47 on Sunday morning. Struggling to straighten myself out off the tee and I'm still taking too many strokes on the green. Many of them are likely a result of my poor short game not being able to consistently get the ball within a reasonable distance of the hole. In the 6/16 round, I did manage a chip (~ 15 yards) from short right of the green to within 5 inches of the cup for a par but nothing else was that great.

On the 252 4th, I really should be laying up instead of hitting my driver even though I've driven the green. It's protected by Left-Front-Right bunkers with about a 5-10 yard strip of fairway between the left and front.

6/14
ipqp7q.jpg

6/15
29cau5y.jpg

6/16
2uz2yac.jpg

Played twice over the weekend...shot a 95 and a 105. I had 40 putts in my round of 105 (horrific) and 34 in my round of 95. The biggest difference is that I focused on lag putting in the round of 95, but tried to make everything in the round of 105. Drove the ball well in both rounds but am still battling a massive pull with woods, irons, and wedges (missing a lot of shot some 30-40 yards to the left) and hit into a bunch of hazards as a result despite making good contact. I know if I can get my swing path closer to where it needs to be I could be flirting with the 80's.

The thing I wish I could impart to most 100+ golfers is, swinging hard does not = ball goes farther... I even fall prey to this from time to time, whenever Im a ways from my target I always remind myself to swing my normal swing... Whenever I swing for the fences I would honestly say 50% of the time I miss hit it and don't go as far or as straight as my normal swing...

I think its the once in a blue moon perfect crank shot we hit that always makes us try to hork it every time we have a long shot to our target...

This is my first post here and it's to celebrate breaking 100 for the first time since I started playing again (20 years without playing). I've been shooting around 108 on average but playing some tough courses and not too many courses more than once.

I started getting frustrated at my lack of consistency so booked myself in for a couple of lesson and lo and behold, much better and more consistent ball striking and I shoot a 98!

This is my first post here and it's to celebrate breaking 100 for the first time since I started playing again (20 years without playing). I've been shooting around 108 on average but playing some tough courses and not too many courses more than once.

I started getting frustrated at my lack of consistency so booked myself in for a couple of lesson and lo and behold, much better and more consistent ball striking and I shoot a 98!

Welcome and congrats!

97 at Island View in Waconia, MN for my first sub-100 from the tips.

My second in a row sub 100!

53/45.
I could get used to this.....

I played 54 holes between yesterday afternoon and today.

Shot a 110 yesterday at a course I frequent quite often and played the back 9 on the 3rd 9 holes they have and don't play much. Took 7 penalties for a total of 14 strokes.

Shot 100 today at a new course then shot 103 on the second time around it this afternoon.

I see the 90's coming back to me in the near future.

45/47/45 today.
No blowup holes, course was short.
Minimum 3 putts, no penalties.
What trouble I did find seemed only a couple times I was unable to get out.
3rd sub 100 in a row!!!

Short hitter with a big heart, that would take being a big hitter with no heart.
The world loves BIG hitters!

97 at Island View in Waconia, MN for my first sub-100 from the tips.

No offense, but if you're struggling to break 100 you might want to rethink playing from the tips.

Even if you've got a buddy that's a good golfer who is playing from the tips and you're just wanting to play the same tees to save time, you'll still likely come out way ahead playing more appropriate tees. You'll score better, get in less trouble and take less time.

Obviously you're free to play wherever you like, but you're just making life difficult on yourself.

No offense, but if you're struggling to break 100 you might want to rethink playing from the tips.

Even if you've got a buddy that's a good golfer who is playing from the tips and you're just wanting to play the same tees to save time, you'll still likely come out way ahead playing more appropriate tees. You'll score better, get in less trouble and take less time.

Obviously you're free to play wherever you like, but you're just making life difficult on yourself.

It wasn't my first sub-100 round, it was just my first time sub-100 from the tips, as I usually don't play them.

I was playing with a guy from work who shot a 78 (with a bad double-bogie on the par-5 17th that he considers a birdie hole) and the course was not busy. I only hit driver twice, and hit all but two fairways.

You are correct though, I do score better from the tees further up. 7i in to the green > hybrid.

FWIW, I didn't lose any balls, and we played in under 3.5 hours walking.

It wasn't my first sub-100 round, it was just my first time sub-100 from the tips, as I usually don't play them.

I was playing with a guy from work who shot a 78 (with a bad double-bogie on the par-5 17th that he considers a birdie hole) and the course was not busy. I only hit driver twice, and hit all but two fairways.

You are correct though, I do score better from the tees further up. 7i in to the green > hybrid.

FWIW, I didn't lose any balls, and we played in under 3.5 hours walking.

I 100% understand the desire to play from the tips but I will say playing it forward helped my game 1000%... I use to play from the tips and it often crushed me... A large percentage of your golf game takes place between your ears. I remember having 0% confidence with my shots and I was lucky to make 1-2 pars a round... Then I started playing with a group of older golfers every Sunday from the white tees and I started making more pars... At the same time I started gaining more confidence in my swings... I kept getting better and better... Now when I play from the tips I'm a much better golf and I know what I can and cannot do... In my opinion, no single factor helped my game more than playing it forward which resulted in confidence in my abilities.

I 100% understand the desire to play from the tips but I will say playing it forward helped my game 1000%... I use to play from the tips and it often crushed me... A large percentage of your golf game takes place between your ears. I remember having 0% confidence with my shots and I was lucky to make 1-2 pars a round... Then I started playing with a group of older golfers every Sunday from the white tees and I started making more pars... At the same time I started gaining more confidence in my swings... I kept getting better and better... Now when I play from the tips I'm a much better golf and I know what I can and cannot do... In my opinion, no single factor helped my game more than playing it forward which resulted in confidence in my abilities.

I agree with this.

You also have to play within your game. If you're a person that shoots in the 100's or even the 90's regularly, when you're playing from the tips, you're going to be hitting hybrids and fairway woods into greens. That is not a formula for success. It's a formula for absolute disaster.

If you want to play from back there, you have to realize you're not going make pars. So don't go for it unless there's NO chance of trouble. Play for bogey. Lay up and hit your third shot on, even it if means your layup is only 50 yards. If you do that, you can play within yourself and you might get up and down a couple times and make some pars. That, combined with a lot of bogeys, might have you under 90. Not doing that will have you in the 90's or over 100.

Played 104 for my first time wielding clubs since starting my internship 3 weeks ago.

I knew i didn't have practice, so i just focused on making nice and easy swings. Lead to some of the best ball striking of the season for me, throughout the bag.
Only lost 2 balls (to the same water hazard -_-) but found 4. Lost a lot of strokes from within 50m. Just didn't have the practice to hit balls the right distance on shorter swings.

Tried to practice my driver and woods again this weekend, but due to the rain we were hitting off mats, so no dice on the driver.

I brought my "modern" 3 wood (Taylormade R580) and my "old" 3 wood (Cobra offset from the early 90's). The old one went dead straight about 175 yard carry, which is the same as my 4 hybrid. The modern one went about 200 yard carry with a solid 30+ yards of slice.

Some days I wonder if I'll ever learn to hit anything stronger than a hybrid.

Played with my brother yesterday, only walking 9.

He shot a nice 36 with 2 birdies and i shot a 45 with 3 pars.

Going to try and break 100 this weekend. Going to play a course that I know well, but is not a high handicap friendly course. But my driving has improved so did my putting so I have more confidence this time round.

Shot a 52 on a 9 hole course over the weekend. Probably had my best ball striking round ever, but chipped and putted horribly on difficult greens. Even though I wasn't very excited about the score, a slight modification of my grip and a switch to a 3/4 swing on all full shots resulted in only one pulled shot (a drive on #7), which was very encouraging. Hopefully will be getting out tomorrow morning for at least 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back