Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I've made enjoying playing my first priority I dropped 3-5 strokes. I've made breaking 100 my secondary goal. Tomorrow I am playing 18 with my son, I'm hoping for the best.

well I am officially getting frustrated. I continue to get worse this year instead of better. Last round was rather ugly (109). I have completely lost what little swing I once had. The new putter experiment has been simply dreadful. the wedges hate me. I think Im going to play tennis from now on...

well I have always been inconsistent but now its just ridiculous. ironic thing is my driver has always been my worst club. I hit my irons good and putting has always been my strong point. but now I am hitting the driver good but everything is a total nightmare. I think its finally time for lessons...

I played the best round of my life today and shot a 104!!! I only went into the bunkers twice and got out on the first try both times. I was hitting the Taylormade Burner SuperLaunch irons and they are awesome! Incredibly forgiving, high launching, and long. I have never hit the ball so well in my life. Just about everything was working for me except my putter which was my fault the greens were fast and I just kept blowing past the hole. I had one shot on the 3rd hole I was about 80 yards out and I wasn't exactly sure what club to use to I grabbed my pitching wedge (I am not a long hitter at all), took a half swing, and landed the ball 2 feet from the hole. I also had 2 pars today which was my 2nd and 3rd time EVER making a par. If it weren't for the two blow up holes I had where I took a snowman on both I may have actually broken 100. Honestly it doesn't matter about those holes I am just so excited to have played so well and have everything working. Part of me can't wait to play again and the other part is scared to play again and then relapse with a 115 and get upset. So for now I am just going to enjoy the moment.

great...now the girls are beating me too. haha...just joking. that is awesome GG. congratulations on the stellar round. now you know you can play like that so it should boost your confidence immensely! shooting in the 90's is right around the corner for you...

great...now the girls are beating me too. haha...just joking. that is awesome GG. congratulations on the stellar round. now you know you can play like that so it should boost your confidence immensely! shooting in the 90's is right around the corner for you...

Thanks CCR!! This was definitely an exciting day.

I played the best round of my life today and shot a 104!!! I only went into the bunkers twice and got out on the first try both times. I was hitting the Taylormade Burner SuperLaunch irons and they are awesome! Incredibly forgiving, high launching, and long. I have never hit the ball so well in my life. Just about everything was working for me except my putter which was my fault the greens were fast and I just kept blowing past the hole. I had one shot on the 3rd hole I was about 80 yards out and I wasn't exactly sure what club to use to I grabbed my pitching wedge (I am not a long hitter at all), took a half swing, and landed the ball 2 feet from the hole. I also had 2 pars today which was my 2nd and 3rd time EVER making a par. If it weren't for the two blow up holes I had where I took a snowman on both I may have actually broken 100. Honestly it doesn't matter about those holes I am just so excited to have played so well and have everything working. Part of me can't wait to play again and the other part is scared to play again and then relapse with a 115 and get upset. So for now I am just going to enjoy the moment.

Congrats GG on a great round. Sounds like those superlaunch irons might have a place in your bag. I think you are saving your sub 100 round for PGA National.

Congrats on your excellent round GG! THe 90's are just around the corner.

My safe strategy hasn't been working since that first round. I'm not stringing enough solid shots in a row and was missing the green by alot or getting in trouble off the tee. I shot a 61 for 9 trying to play safe.

My short game sucks, so I had a lesson yesterday devoted to it. We started with 50 yard pitches. He made some changes and I got in the groove. Nice relaxed arms, etc. We then did chippng and my chipping has been pure crap. I was chipping great in the lesson. 30 chips and 1 mishit. I even called out a hole and sank my last chip. The pro said "What's wrong wit your chipping?" after I had done 6 or so....Noideawhere that came from. We did a little sand work and finished up with him looking at my fullswing. Overall it was the best all around ballstriking performance in a lesson ever. All aspects of my game was on.

So I tried 18 today and walked off the course. I started off good but a slice crept in starting on #3 and it was downhill from there. I was getting real frustrated and walked off after 14 holes with #15 being a disaster. The awesome chipping from friday was MIA....

I decided to try again and got a quick 9 in playing the gold tees. These are betwen the red and whites. I normally play whites, and gold is a good 400 yards shorter. My tee shot came back and the slice went away. My misses were pull hooks instead, which is my normal mishit. I hit some nice draws and my chipping started to come around near the end.

I shot a 48. I could have gone a bit lower if my chipping was more solid though. I had 2 chips each on 4 holes though I set was for a par when I chipped the second ball in. I also had a brainfart on #9 that cost at least 1 stroke. So I maybe could have pushed into the 44/45 realm. Anyways I'm feeling better now. I have to play the whites in my league and any tournies I play in, so I dunno how much I'll play the golds.

Went first time to a course that didn't show any info on the layout or overview of the hole other than the yardage from the various tees. Most of the greeens where blind so I had no idea where to hit. Also no yardage markers.Aout 4 holes had a 100 yard marker.Another one had a 150 stencil on the cartpath.Conditions of the fairway :swampland.Rough: good luck. struggled to break 100 on the front nine.

Went first time to a course that didn't show any info on the layout or overview of the hole other than the yardage from the various tees. Most of the greeens where blind so I had no idea where to hit. Also no yardage markers.Aout 4 holes had a 100 yard marker.Another one had a 150 stencil on the cartpath.Conditions of the fairway :swampland.Rough: good luck. struggled to break 100 on the front nine.

Sounds like the courses I play! :laughing:

A laser range finder is a must for these type places!

My safe strategy hasn't been working since that first round. I'm not stringing enough solid shots in a row and was missing the green by alot or getting in trouble off the tee. I shot a 61 for 9 trying to play safe.

My short game sucks, so I had a lesson yesterday devoted to it. We started with 50 yard pitches. He made some changes and I got in the groove. Nice relaxed arms, etc. We then did chippng and my chipping has been pure crap. I was chipping great in the lesson. 30 chips and 1 mishit. I even called out a hole and sank my last chip. The pro said "What's wrong wit your chipping?" after I had done 6 or so....Noideawhere that came from. We did a little sand work and finished up with him looking at my fullswing. Overall it was the best all around ballstriking performance in a lesson ever. All aspects of my game was on.

So I tried 18 today and walked off the course. I started off good but a slice crept in starting on #3 and it was downhill from there. I was getting real frustrated and walked off after 14 holes with #15 being a disaster. The awesome chipping from friday was MIA....

I decided to try again and got a quick 9 in playing the gold tees. These are betwen the red and whites. I normally play whites, and gold is a good 400 yards shorter. My tee shot came back and the slice went away. My misses were pull hooks instead, which is my normal mishit. I hit some nice draws and my chipping started to come around near the end.

I shot a 48. I could have gone a bit lower if my chipping was more solid though. I had 2 chips each on 4 holes though I set was for a par when I chipped the second ball in. I also had a brainfart on #9 that cost at least 1 stroke. So I maybe could have pushed into the 44/45 realm. Anyways I'm feeling better now. I have to play the whites in my league and any tournies I play in, so I dunno how much I'll play the golds.

Isn't it so frustrating when you do great with your instructor and then you get out there and everything falls apart? That great that you went back and played another 9 after your bad round earlier. Many people would just give up but you went back and that's huge and it will come together in time. We are all going to be in the trying to break 90 club soon enough, keep up the great work!

When you played 9 did you go by yourself? Do you find it helpful to get out and play 9 as a single to work on real course experiences rather than just range time?

Where was this Jeff? Oak Country?

Isn't it so frustrating when you do great with your instructor and then you get out there and everything falls apart? That great that you went back and played another 9 after your bad round earlier. Many people would just give up but you went back and that's huge and it will come together in time. We are all going to be in the trying to break 90 club soon enough, keep up the great work!

When you played 9 did you go by yourself? Do you find it helpful to get out and play 9 as a single to work on real course experiences rather than just range time?

I almost always play alone unless I hook up with someone on a tee box. Around August of last year I started to actually play more then spend time on the range. That's when my scores started to hover in the low 50's and I put up the 4 sub 50 rounds. I was learning how to hit recovery shots. Over trees, under trees, and sometimes through trees. The swing I used alot was a half swing punch. The ball stays low and will run, and I find t hard to really mihit them ie a mishit still goes pretty straight. So I'd hit the punch if I was under the trees and had to stay low. It also moves fast, so I ued it to power through trees. Of course it only works if you don't hit anything real solid.

There is no replacing the real exprience of playing. I learned how to not let focus on a score ruin my game. Plus that's where you really see weird lies. Oh, and course management.

I am finding in my experiment ( only two weeks old) That if I concentrate on course time and "forget" about the range I will be a better golfer. I am not suggesting everyone forget about range work and it is not important but for me I need time on the course to allow myself to understand what clubs I am to use to the various shots and how to play a course smarter. I can not do this onthe range.

Played 18 this morning from the whites. I just addressed the ball and swung, trying to get into a full finish. I only hit 2 bad tee shots. One was a 191 yard draw into the left trees on #3 and I it a shank 50 yards left on #7. All other tee shots were fades or draws with a few up in the 180 - 194 range. I had some brain cramps that cost a few strokes but I ended up shooting a 52/52, 104. My lowest full 18 score ever. My worst holes put me at triple bogey and I only had a few of those.

I also started to get a little more creative with my shots. I delofted the club on some chips that were longer, while I used the setup my pro gave me for the rest. I also hit some 4i punches when I was too far out but wanted to try and get close. My pitch shots were on. didn't stick them close but I executed and hit the green with them.

I'm thinking that the esults f the lesson are starting to click. A successful day!

Nice round Bortass! You are getting close :)

Where was this Jeff? Oak Country?
Oak Country is where I should have played.
No it was Liberty Hills C.C.....it made one buddy quit after 8. It was a bear for me: the ground being soaked and wind gusts that were only occasiionally in your favor. It would be nice to try it again when dry with a calm day.Don't know about telling yardages from playing it only once.

I am finding in my experiment ( only two weeks old) That if I concentrate on course time and "forget" about the range I will be a better golfer. I am not suggesting everyone forget about range work and it is not important but for me I need time on the course to allow myself to understand what clubs I am to use to the various shots and how to play a course smarter. I can not do this onthe range.

I am starting to think this might not be a bad idea for me either. Our home course just waived the fee for a summer discount card so I can play 18 for $25 or 9 for a reduced rate and since we live in the neighborhood maybe I can go out later in the afternoon and play 9 by myself. I think this might be really helpful for my game. I look forward to hearing your progress WR.

Played 18 this morning from the whites. I just addressed the ball and swung, trying to get into a full finish. I only hit 2 bad tee shots. One was a 191 yard draw into the left trees on #3 and I it a shank 50 yards left on #7. All other tee shots were fades or draws with a few up in the 180 - 194 range. I had some brain cramps that cost a few strokes but I ended up shooting a 52/52, 104. My lowest full 18 score ever. My worst holes put me at triple bogey and I only had a few of those.

I also started to get a little more creative with my shots. I delofted the club on some chips that were longer, while I used the setup my pro gave me for the rest. I also hit some 4i punches when I was too far out but wanted to try and get close. My pitch shots were on. didn't stick them close but I executed and hit the green with them.

I'm thinking that the esults f the lesson are starting to click. A successful day!

That is awesome! Congratulations! I love seeing so much success from everyone in this thread :smile:

No luck today a 108 for me, I did manage to find a birdy on a par 3, put the ball 3' from the pin. I was killing my irons, good penetrating flight. I like the Bridgestone e6 feel off the irons, so I may pick up another box if I find the Gamers have too much side spin.

My 3W driving was erratic, but manageable. I've been trying to play my slice by lining up to the right of the tee and aiming left. Seems to get me out of alignment more than anything. I'm going to line up left in the box but straight.

played 18 today...shot a 113. ugh...not as bad as it sounds though. had a 62 on the front 9...was extremely frustrated. nothing was going right. then had a 51 on the back 9. could have very easily shaved 5 strokes off that from just stupid shot selection and laziness with the putter. For some reason it is taking me 8-9 holes to find my groove. If I can find a way to find that on the front I will definitely be in the 90's consistently. well I hope...

Maybe I need to hit a bucket at the range before I play...I don't know. I love/hate this stupid game...

AFter dinner my wife said, "go play golf or something". So I obliged her and played another 9. I payed the whites again but ued my driver off the tee this time. I only had 1 tee shot that was bad and I'm not sure it really hurt my score. I ripped a high draw on #8 in the middle of the fairway and it went a massive 167 yards, no roll out. I did hit 200 off the tee on #5 but overall I hit the ball further with my 3w. So I guess the driver will stay in the bag. MY putting was off the first 2 holes but I ended up shooting a 50. I'm starting to feel good.....

I just wanted to say congrats on your great round GolferGal! It's funny that a month ago you and I were talking about wanting to get out of the 120's. I've been reading Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book" and he says that a player will often improve by large amounts at a time at our level. It's so exciting to just blow by your normal score and see such a difference.

I experienced that this year. I improved 16 strokes from one round to the next and then stayed in the lower scores for awhile. I had a bit of a relapse myself over my last two rounds, but I think I'm on my way back.

Anyway, keep it up. I'm really happy for you :act-up:

played 18 today...shot a 113. ugh...not as bad as it sounds though. had a 62 on the front 9...was extremely frustrated. nothing was going right. then had a 51 on the back 9. could have very easily shaved 5 strokes off that from just stupid shot selection and laziness with the putter. For some reason it is taking me 8-9 holes to find my groove. If I can find a way to find that on the front I will definitely be in the 90's consistently. well I hope...

Maybe I need to hit a bucket at the range before I play...I don't know. I love/hate this stupid game...

I would definitely suggest hitting a bucet of balls, or at least a few balls, before playing. I find it helps a lot and even if I am doing poorly on the range it all changes once I get to the first tee box.

AFter dinner my wife said, "go play golf or something". So I obliged her and played another 9. I payed the whites again but ued my driver off the tee this time. I only had 1 tee shot that was bad and I'm not sure it really hurt my score. I ripped a high draw on #8 in the middle of the fairway and it went a massive 167 yards, no roll out. I did hit 200 off the tee on #5 but overall I hit the ball further with my 3w. So I guess the driver will stay in the bag. MY putting was off the first 2 holes but I ended up shooting a 50. I'm starting to feel good.....

Wow, at the rate you are going and as much as you are playing/practicing you will be breaking 100 the next time out. Great job!

I just wanted to say congrats on your great round GolferGal! It's funny that a month ago you and I were talking about wanting to get out of the 120's. I've been reading Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book" and he says that a player will often improve by large amounts at a time at our level. It's so exciting to just blow by your normal score and see such a difference.

I experienced that this year. I improved 16 strokes from one round to the next and then stayed in the lower scores for awhile. I had a bit of a relapse myself over my last two rounds, but I think I'm on my way back.

Anyway, keep it up. I'm really happy for you :act-up:

Thanks Hawk! I didn't know that info that is very reassuring. Playing well on Saturday has made me want to go out and practice a lot more that is for sure. I am so motivated to get out there and have solid ball striking and better course management. With how motivated you are I am sure you are going to continue to progress and I don't have a doubt in my mind that you will break 100 before this golf season is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back