Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did it!!!!!! i shot a 46-44 and if it wasnt for a 10 footer that lipped out on 18 i would have broke 90 and 100 in the same day. I hit 9 fairways and had 3s putts and only 2 pars

Wow! Great job! That's got to feel great aca :act-up:

I did it!!!!!! i shot a 46-44 and if it wasnt for a 10 footer that lipped out on 18 i would have broke 90 and 100 in the same day. I hit 9 fairways and had 3s putts and only 2 pars

Congrats, please report to the "Breaking 90" room.

Wow, that is just incredible! congratulations you must be so excited :smile:

So I went to the range today for some practice and spent about 40 minutes hitting balls and I just hit these TM Burner Super Launch irons so well. I was mixing it up between long and short irons plus driver to try and really get control of my swing. I was pretending like I was out on the course and picking clubs based on where my ball landed. I hit one drive so far today that it actually hit the 200yard sign and kept on rolling. I have never hit anything past 180 before. Most were my usual 160ish but this one was just bombed. I am still struggling quite a bit with the longer irons (4 and 5) but I will just keep practicing.

The highlight of my practice today was when I went over to the putting green and sand area. I have always struggled out of the bunker but today I got just about every ball out of the bunker on the 1st try. I was very very excited about then. Then I went over to the chipping green to work on distance control and after hitting a few balls that cleared the green because I hit them too far I started to get dialed in. I was chipping really well and leaving each ball no more than 5 feet from the pin, and one time I chipped in. That was my first time ever doing that and I was so excited...too bad there was no one around to see me jumping up and down haha.

All-in-all I would say this was a success practice session. I may try and play 9 as a single tomorrow in the late afternoon. I am so determined to improve at golf that I now look forward to picking up a club.

So I went to the range today for some practice and spent about 40 minutes hitting balls and I just hit these TM Burner Super Launch irons so well. I was mixing it up between long and short irons plus driver to try and really get control of my swing. I was pretending like I was out on the course and picking clubs based on where my ball landed. I hit one drive so far today that it actually hit the 200yard sign and kept on rolling. I have never hit anything past 180 before. Most were my usual 160ish but this one was just bombed. I am still struggling quite a bit with the longer irons (4 and 5) but I will just keep practicing.

The highlight of my practice today was when I went over to the putting green and sand area. I have always struggled out of the bunker but today I got just about every ball out of the bunker on the 1st try. I was very very excited about then. Then I went over to the chipping green to work on distance control and after hitting a few balls that cleared the green because I hit them too far I started to get dialed in. I was chipping really well and leaving each ball no more than 5 feet from the pin, and one time I chipped in. That was my first time ever doing that and I was so excited...too bad there was no one around to see me jumping up and down haha.

All-in-all I would say this was a success practice session. I may try and play 9 as a single tomorrow in the late afternoon. I am so determined to improve at golf that I now look forward to picking up a club.

Keep it up GG!
I know personally all the strokes I loose on a course are in the chipping/putting department. I am long enough to make up for a botched 2nd shot but I can't recover from an awful chip. As much as I think it is a "personal practice" thing, I am going to work with my pro on exactly that.

Congrats on the chip-in. Doesn't it feel great? The best thing about it (at least for me) is there isn't a putt to miss afterwards and it helps keep your putts per round under control!

Keep it up GG!
I know personally all the strokes I loose on a course are in the chipping/putting department. I am long enough to make up for a botched 2nd shot but I can't recover from an awful chip. As much as I think it is a "personal practice" thing, I am going to work with my pro on exactly that.

Congrats on the chip-in. Doesn't it feel great? The best thing about it (at least for me) is there isn't a putt to miss afterwards and it helps keep your putts per round under control!

Thank you so much, it felt great! No matter how well I may be putting in a round everytime I step up to the green and grab the putter a heavy feeling hits me in the pit of my stomach and I just keep saying "Please don't miss this putt, please don't miss this putt." So I totally agree it would be amazing to not have to worry about missing a putt.

I was struggling so much with the chipping so I started practicing it a while ago and it has been what has been saving my golf game. My last round I had so many solid chips that it saved me from my poor shots on the fairway. I am also not a long hitter so I am basically hitting Driver, hybrid, hybrid and then grabbing my pitching wedge for a chip/pitch and then putter. So I have learned that working on my short game is huge for me because it can really help me make up for my lack of distance with my other clubs. Not to say I don't need to work on those too which is why I have been spending about 40mins to an hour everyday hitting my irons/hybrids to work on ball striking. I have never been this determined or practiced this much for anything in my life.

I hope your lessons go well and you can start saving some strokes on your short game :smile:

i still remember the day i broke 100 for the first time. it was at Buffalo Creek in Palmetto and I shot a 98. I think this was around 1994. after that, it seemed like I broke 100 almost every time i played.

I played 18 today and had some major struggles at the beginning. This was the first time I had ever played as a single (and just a single I was not paired with anyone) and it was really weird at first. I found that I was rushing myself a lot and second guessing everything I was doing because I didn't have anyone to help me with course management. I was also struggling which club to take because I wasn't sure what I was aiming for. My chipping was a mess and if there was a bunker my ball found it. In fact I am still eating sand from earlier today because I was totally covered in sand many times over. My chipping was bad too but I was putting alright and driving pretty well. So overall the front 9 was a complete disaster and I shot a 60...OUCH!

At the turn I bought some more balls because I had already lost a dozen. I almost quit and then figured "what the hell" I will just make this a practice experience so I continued on to #10. I lost my tee shot and thought "here we go again" but then someone managed to walk away with a bogey. A big problem I was having all day was finding my golf ball. I never realized how much I relied on others to help me find my golf ball. I think I lost strokes because I couldn't find the ball and just took a drop and lost the strokes.

Well, after making a bogey on #10 I guess my confidence got better because I finished out that back 9 with a 49! My best 9 ever! So in the end I shot a 109. It was definitely an interesting experience and I think next time I will be more calm and feel less rushed and enjoy my time alone out there. I look forward to doing it again very soon. I am thinking next week after I get back from Texas.

Re: Trying to Break 100

Awesome job GG!

guess I belong to this club too :p I have broken 100 three times but all three times were on the same 9 hole course so I don't really consider those rounds true sub 100 rounds. The did shoot a 49 on the front 9 of a pretty tough course which even included a blowup hole where I shot a 8 on a par 4 but shot a 53 on the back which put me at 102 to finish. Considering that my lowest round on this same course in the previous three times I played it was a 116 I am very happy with my progress and feel it really is just a matter of staying focused on my practice and enjoying the game one shot at a time before I am playing in the sub 100 club. Good luck to everyone and I will let every one know when I can start posting in the "break 90" thread ;)

instead of playing on your regular day, spend 4 hours practicing, especially chipping and putting, do this regularly, play, play, practice, play, play, practice etc etc and you'll smash 100!

Well, after making a bogey on #10 I guess my confidence got better because I finished out that back 9 with a 49! My best 9 ever! So in the end I shot a 109. It was definitely an interesting experience and I think next time I will be more calm and feel less rushed and enjoy my time alone out there. I look forward to doing it again very soon. I am thinking next week after I get back from Texas.

Congrats on the improvement, you'll be in the 90's before you know it.

Nice job GG.

I got in a quick 9 this morning. The pro I take lessons from stopped at the first tee to watch me tee of. Now I'm one of those people that just start playing. No warm up or stretching. I also stopped taking practice swings a number of rounds ago.

So I haven't even swung a club and I have an important, to me, audience. I hit a high draw 214 with my 3w into the left rough. Almost a perfect shot. So I was happy and my pro was happy and off I went.

The 3w stayed pretty good till 8 where I hit it into the right trees and it cost me a stroke. My par 3 tee shots went right and I got 6s on those...

I ended up with a 54, which is even par if you factor in my HCP. Some small problems chipping on 1 hole, though I put a chip, for par, within 3 inches of the hole on #2.

My solid putting has been off for a few rounds. I've been missing high and long. I think I figured it out on #9. I changed from a TF Gamer to a titliest NXT a few rounds ago. That seems to be when my putting woes started. I get on the green of #9 and am 8 feet from the cup. I hit it a little softer and watch it roll into the cup.

So I'm starting to feel good about my 3w tee shots and my chipping game. My putting hopefully will return to normal. That means if I can solidify my iron play I should be breaking 100!

Got out again tonight. Played the same 9. Tee shots were off compared to this morning but kept things under control for a 49. So my recent scores have been 48, 104, 50, 55, 54, and 49. I'm inching my way there, lol.

Even though I haven't been over 100 in awhile, I feel like I am moreso in the "trying to stay below 100" club than the "trying to break 90" club. I played 9 today and felt like I had never hit a golf ball before. It may be the worst I've ever played. Slices or skulls on almost everything, but much to my suprise I shot a 50. I really don't know what I've done to get myself swinging like I am.

The weird thing is I two putted every green, NO 3 PUTTS! Thats also counting several 1st puts from the fringe, so not really sure if they even count as putts? It really could have been a few one putts, but I don't mind two putting if the 2nd putt is essentially a tap in which almost all were.

Even though I haven't been over 100 in awhile, I feel like I am moreso in the "trying to stay below 100" club than the "trying to break 90" club. I played 9 today and felt like I had never hit a golf ball before. It may be the worst I've ever played. Slices or skulls on almost everything, but much to my suprise I shot a 50. I really don't know what I've done to get myself swinging like I am.

The weird thing is I two putted every green, NO 3 PUTTS! Thats also counting several 1st puts from the fringe, so not really sure if they even count as putts? It really could have been a few one putts, but I don't mind two putting if the 2nd putt is essentially a tap in which almost all were.

Using a putter from the fringe does not count as a putt. (At least until the ball is on the green. I believe once you are on the green, any shots after that technically count as putts, even if you end up on the fringe again)

Back to the thread, I've shot under 100 a lot but I am still looking for my first time this year.I've only played five times this year on five different courses, so I really need to pick a course, any course!

So I guess technically, there were a few one putts. Although, doesn't seem right to count it that way.

This is a crazy game, ball striking wise it today was the worst I can ever remember, but putting wise it may have been the best. On the green I couldn't do anything wrong. I normally use a line on my ball, but not today, just aimed the putter face, squared my feet to it and rolled the ball. Playing alone, half the time I didn't even mark and pick up my ball.

So I guess technically, there were a few one putts. Although, doesn't seem right to count it that way.

This is a crazy game, ball striking wise it today was the worst I can ever remember, but putting wise it may have been the best. On the green I couldn't do anything wrong. I normally use a line on my ball, but not today, just aimed the putter face, squared my feet to it and rolled the ball. Playing alone, half the time I didn't even mark and pick up my ball.

I never mark or pickup my ball when I play since I almost always play alone. Even when I end up playing with others i don't unless I'm in someones line.

I will mark and clean my ball if there mud on it, on the green that is. Otherwise I just play it in whatever state it's in.

I did that last night. There is a lighted par 3 I go to -- usually hit balls for an hour and walk the course. Instead, I spent almost 4 hours practicing everything except bunkers. Both my arms and my lower back were sore by the end of the night, but I was really happy with how many nagging problems I was able to solve. There were really a lot of things I had lapsed out of doing the past few months, and they only came to me after spending a lot of time doing the same thing over and over. All of the sudden I'd think, "oh, yeah", and remember an old tip from an instructor or a magazine that I had forgotten about. My back is actually still pretty sore today -- 600mg of motrin and counting.
instead of playing on your regular day, spend 4 hours practicing, especially chipping and putting, do this regularly, play, play, practice, play, play, practice etc etc and you'll smash 100!

So close I could taste it...shot a 103 yesterday afternoon. Had a nice string of bogeys (6 in a row), then I hit a slump the next 4 holes where a different "F" word other than "fairway" was used...

played the only round of the week tonight. Started out ok and had a 50 on the front then it fell apart on the back 9. Finished with 109. I am so inconsistent right now I don't even know what to practice on. Went to the range yesterday and everything just feels wrong. I have no confidence right now...:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back