Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm out of hibernation. What did I miss?

Welcome back from the hinterlands.

I'm out of hibernation. What did I miss?
Depends.....how long have you been hibernating?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Got some range time in yesterday. Worked on turning my hips instead of sliding on my downswing. Results were positive. Just need to keep working on it so I don't have to think about it.
In my quest to get better this year I set some goals for myself. I want to have 2 range sessions a week (this one is going to be hard to do) and I started a golf specific fitness routine that I am doing in addition to my regular workouts. Hopefully these 2 things will pay off eventually.

I love that you've got some goals set for yourself this year!
Do you have specific plans for short game work?

Played Sunday at a tough course I hadn’t played in a few years. Shot a 106. It took me about 5 holes to loosen up and I got wore down the last 5 (damn >70hr weeks). Holes 6-13 I played bogey golf. The course was 6500yds but most holes are uphill and it was wet so it played quite a bit longer. Considering I haven’t touched a club for a few weeks and I’m one that has to constantly work on my game to even be able to hit the ball I’m fairly happy with it. I did try to actually use some course management instead of just trying to bomb every tee shot or trying to flag hunt, which is honestly beyond my skill level, and I’m pretty sure that’s why it wasn’t a 120 or higher.

Month, maybe?
For me, probably not hit a ball for nearly a month now due to being busy and then the weather

Non golf, another 14 working days to go in my current job, then a few days off before starting the new job on the 1st March

For me, probably not hit a ball for nearly a month now due to being busy and then the weather

Non golf, another 14 working days to go in my current job, then a few days off before starting the new job on the 1st March

More money or less hassle?

I love that you've got some goals set for yourself this year!
Do you have specific plans for short game work?

I am trying to spend half the practice time I have on the range and half on short game. I also got a PuttOut that I am practicing with (this one is tricky with a 1 year old that like to steal the balls and puttout). I figured if I can get into a routine with the range time and workouts then I can start making more specific goals.

More money or less hassle?
More money but more travelling to the office (I am walking distance at the moment) so I won't initially see a benefit

I needed a change and this job looks like something I will enjoy so I am looking forward to it

More money but more travelling to the office (I am walking distance at the moment) so I won't initially see a benefit

I needed a change and this job looks like something I will enjoy so I am looking forward to it

I've found every job I've held eventually drives me into a murderous rage, so I temper it with booze.

I've found every job I've held eventually drives me into a murderous rage, so I temper it with booze.
My situation was slightly different in that I work for the health service, specifically with the cancer team, which was the disease I lost my dad from last year and it was a daily reminder of that fact that I couldn't get away from so I needed to move on as I was struggling to deal with it

It is a bit easier now but that could be partly due to the fact I know I only have to deal with it for another couple of weeks and it is getting towards a year since he passed

Just to be clear, temper the murderous rage with booze or temper the job with booze?

Now that football season is over I might spend more time in golf forums. I got back into golfing last year after a decade and a half long hiatus. I went to the range for like 3 months before I hit the course. I thought I was ready but when I hit the course I learned the hard way that the range is far different. I did not handle the shots that took me out of my comfort zone very well. The ones where the ball is below/above your feet. Where you try to hit a low runner to get out of trees. First time I scored a 112. I shot 62 on the front 9. I used to be in the mid 90's pretty regularly back in the early 2000's. Even an occasional 88 or 89. That brought me back down the earth.

Since then I spend just as much time on the course as I do the range. I find playing more on the course gives you better insight on how to navigate it. At the range I just try to hits the ball clean. No strategy. Now I'm pretty steady between 91-95 on the par 72 6500 yard course I play on. The other course I play on is also par 72 around 6600 yards. But its easier to me because they don't have as many trees. Missing fairways is more forgiving. I still haven't break 90 though. But I'm pretty glad its been quite a while since I shot over 100.

I just need to clean up some things to break 90 now. I have good days and not so good days off the tee. But for the most part, that isn't the problem. The problem is consistent contact in the short game. If I'm 40-50 yards out with a decent lie I can hit a nice lofting shot and be close enough for a chance to save par. The next time I'm in and identical situation, I feel comfortable and confident. Then I either skull it over the green or chunk it 20 yards short. Its so frustrating. The course I usually play its a lot harder behind the green. The grass is always much thicker and trees are behind most holes. I end up with a double or triple bogey.

If I could pick one area to improve that would be it. I hit some real nice ones to 5 feet from the cup. Then hit a bad one leaving me with a tough lie. Just being consistent with contact is the biggest thing to me. I feel if I can hit it clean all I have to do us let the loft of the club do the work. I use 4 wedges from 52-64 and usually end up using all 4 over 18 holes. None are easier or harder to hit for me. I could shank the 52 as easy as the 64. Or hit very nice. Just not consistently.

My situation was slightly different in that I work for the health service, specifically with the cancer team, which was the disease I lost my dad from last year and it was a daily reminder of that fact that I couldn't get away from so I needed to move on as I was struggling to deal with it

It is a bit easier now but that could be partly due to the fact I know I only have to deal with it for another couple of weeks and it is getting towards a year since he passed

oof. That's a tough gig. My condolences and salutations for your contribution to a better world.

On course clinic tonight. Didn't do too badly. 4 holes and one great drive, 2 pitches that actually landed where I wanted them and putting was pretty good. We played worst ball again. It was really instructive. We had one ball in the bunker and all 4 of us made it out on the first try! Great shooting ladies!

On course clinic tonight. Didn't do too badly. 4 holes and one great drive, 2 pitches that actually landed where I wanted them and putting was pretty good. We played worst ball again. It was really instructive.
That's something I never even considered, but is so obvious for working on course management and working things out. :good:

Had a few lessons over the past couple of months and it's amazing how much improvement I see in ball striking and accuracy with each one. I've gone from a huge slice that was uncontrollable with the longer clubs, to a slight draw which I didn't think possible. Think I've lucked out with a great coach on the first try and can't wait to get out on a course and see how the scoring goes.

That's something I never even considered, but is so obvious for working on course management and working things out. :good:

I have been out on the course a few times with my instructor and it is so beneficial, even now still - when you think about it, during lessons you will always have a perfect and flat lie so you never really learn how to cope with different lies and terrain

My instructor also got me to explain my thought process over certain shots and how I would approach them, and then offer his thoughts if he looked at them differently and it gives you options about how to play different shots

It helps you look at holes differently depending on where hazards are and gets you thinking about the shots to play to maximise your chance of a good score without increasing the risk of making a silly score - sometimes simple things like not trying to be too clever and go after a pin tucked next to a hazard unless you hit the perfect shot....play for a longer number and just ensure you hit the green rather than play for the tucked pin and chance putting your ball in water or being short-sided in a tough bunker

Had a few lessons over the past couple of months and it's amazing how much improvement I see in ball striking and accuracy with each one. I've gone from a huge slice that was uncontrollable with the longer clubs, to a slight draw which I didn't think possible. Think I've lucked out with a great coach on the first try and can't wait to get out on a course and see how the scoring goes.

You just have to trust yourself and not aim left expecting your slice when you get on the course - I speak from experience here and it took me a little while to trust that I wasn't going to slice it and aim right of centre and let the new swing do its thing

You just have to trust yourself and not aim left expecting your slice when you get on the course - I speak from experience here and it took me a little while to trust that I wasn't going to slice it and aim right of centre and let the new swing do its thing

That is a very good point, thanks!

That is a very good point, thanks!

You are welcome, enjoy the new swing and we all wait for the scores to drop when you are splitting fairways down the middle :D

Delighted to read about folks getting out and about on the golf course! I’m still stuck inside but champing at the bit. Go forth and play, for I am golfing vicariously through ya’all...

Sim round is booked for Saturday for me and my usual playing partner - not sure which course we will play yet but at least it will be warm and dry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back