Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a round at Muirfield Village today and tried the Cobra F9 driver as well

Always a good laugh but I wish I had caught a shot that Andrew played on camera - has anyone seen a ball spin back 40yds!?!?!?!?

To put it into context, he hit an approach with a wedge from about 90yds that hit the green and actually had a bit of spin on it... What we didn't realise was how much the green sloped back towards the fairway where his ball landed, and it came back off the green and rolled to 42yds away

Andrew finished his round with a nett 72 but I played quite well and finished with a nett 67 (-5)

Scorecard below if it can be read (picture isn't the best)

f4b2b09ce83ca0623898c914b25993fe.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Didn't get out this weekend, just some range time on Saturday, but it was a worthwhile session, and possibly a bit costly ultimately, as I realised I was hitting my 5w as far as, or past, my 3w pretty easily...way too regularly for it to be the odd good strike here and there.

The 5w is a Cobra F7, and I can get the matching 3w for £99 (brand new old stock), so now I'm thinking about that, with the heavy weight forward, and use it as my "driver". Ponder engaged.

Didn't get out this weekend, just some range time on Saturday, but it was a worthwhile session, and possibly a bit costly ultimately, as I realised I was hitting my 5w as far as, or past, my 3w pretty easily...way too regularly for it to be the odd good strike here and there.

The 5w is a Cobra F7, and I can get the matching 3w for £99 (brand new old stock), so now I'm thinking about that, with the heavy weight forward, and use it as my "driver". Ponder engaged.

Sounds like it could be a great combo for you.

Doesn't look good for golf this week at all. One day maybe, and doubtful I can get off work for that one. Then we have more chances for snow/sleet crap this weekend.

I went for a lesson at the indoor range Sunday with my new irons and driver/fairway/hybrid shafts. Trying to modify my swing to maximize distance/accuracy, while minimizing any more joint/disc problems. The new clubs and technique we worked on seemed to help.

I kind of miss this thread. Most of my time on this, and other, golf forums has been as a golf club junkie.

I don't know if many of the people in this thread remember me or not. I played golf a little bit as a kid and got back into it in 2013. I knocked some of the rust off in 2013, but never really got past the executive course. I played sporadically in 2014, 2015, and the beginning of 2016. The bug caught me late in 2016 and I started to play a lot more that fall. I never broke 50 that year, but made improvement and couldn't wait for golf to start in 2017. I started posting here a lot in 2017 as we had good spring weather in Illinois and I was playing a ton of golf and was in the work league. Before that year ended I had broken 100, 90, 50, 45, and 40 milestones with my best rounds as 85 (42/43) and 39 for 9 holes. I posted in this thread every once in a while, but mostly moved on as my new goal was to shoot 45 or better.

2018 was a bit different. The spring weather was bad. My work schedule made it difficult to get golf in. I didn't want to play in the work league. When I played I had a hell of a time getting the rust worked off. I had switched irons after having a fitting at the end of 2017 and had difficulty hitting "forgiving" and spring faced irons accurately. My drives missed too often and were frequently in the trees. I blamed the clubs for much of my woes and would change them out. The equipment changes made the quality of golf worse. It was a vicious cycle. I started playing decent golf in August, but the bag changes continued until October when I decided the madness had to stop. I've stopped it and have a stable bag going in 2019.

I decided I have to stay away from the Clubs forum. It just leads to wasted money and frustration. It's no good for me.

This thread is my favorite aspect of the forum. Posting here and interacting with Ham (now Shaman) and the other folks is the most fun I've had on a golf forum. Best wishes to you all as work to break 100.

Dave

dthrog00;6027874 This thread is my favorite aspect of the forum. Posting here and interacting with Ham (now Shaman) and the other folks is the most fun I've had on a golf forum. Best wishes to you all as work to break 100. Dave[/QUOTE said:
The people in this thread are great, the banter is great and that is what matters the most.

I kind of miss this thread. Most of my time on this, and other, golf forums has been as a golf club junkie.

I don't know if many of the people in this thread remember me or not. I played golf a little bit as a kid and got back into it in 2013. I knocked some of the rust off in 2013, but never really got past the executive course. I played sporadically in 2014, 2015, and the beginning of 2016. The bug caught me late in 2016 and I started to play a lot more that fall. I never broke 50 that year, but made improvement and couldn't wait for golf to start in 2017. I started posting here a lot in 2017 as we had good spring weather in Illinois and I was playing a ton of golf and was in the work league. Before that year ended I had broken 100, 90, 50, 45, and 40 milestones with my best rounds as 85 (42/43) and 39 for 9 holes. I posted in this thread every once in a while, but mostly moved on as my new goal was to shoot 45 or better.

2018 was a bit different. The spring weather was bad. My work schedule made it difficult to get golf in. I didn't want to play in the work league. When I played I had a hell of a time getting the rust worked off. I had switched irons after having a fitting at the end of 2017 and had difficulty hitting "forgiving" and spring faced irons accurately. My drives missed too often and were frequently in the trees. I blamed the clubs for much of my woes and would change them out. The equipment changes made the quality of golf worse. It was a vicious cycle. I started playing decent golf in August, but the bag changes continued until October when I decided the madness had to stop. I've stopped it and have a stable bag going in 2019.

I decided I have to stay away from the Clubs forum. It just leads to wasted money and frustration. It's no good for me.

This thread is my favorite aspect of the forum. Posting here and interacting with Ham (now Shaman) and the other folks is the most fun I've had on a golf forum. Best wishes to you all as work to break 100.

Dave

Don't let the fact that you have lower targets prevent you from dropping in here and shooting the breeze with everyone - I hit my goal of breaking 80 in the last year a few times but keep coming back for the banter despite my aim this year to be in the 70's on a more regular basis

The people in this thread are great, the banter is great and that is what matters the most.

There are a few people you might want to avoid..... that Hammy/Shaman character seems a bit dodgy, and I reckon Thommo with his Satan's P&P is nowhere near as troublesome as he says it is :alien:

Sounds like it could be a great combo for you.

Sooooo, I went down to the shop, which handily backs onto a range, and they found one available for hitting. I put the weight forward, at standard loft (14.5) - very, very nice, a little bit left-to-right, but not a proper slice. I moved the weight back, and it was a little more benign on the lateral movement, still with decent distance improvements over my old 3w and a respectable distance beyond the F7 5w. Put the neck into 14.5D (draw setting), left the weight back, and we were off to the races. Lateral movement was now a tiny draw if there was any, and a nice high flight, landing similar distance as before, quite softly. So I put the weight forward (as this isn't going to be a "going for the green club"), and after just half a dozen hits in this config, I went in and bought one. (Not the one I was hitting, a brand new one incidentally) After I got home, I got the wrench out and set it up as I last had it on the range.

Looking forward to putting it in play, especially as I was half convinced woods were verboten for me, and that I'd be consigned to "hybrid off the tee" for the foreseeable. :good:

#longballs

There are a few people you might want to avoid..... that Hammy/Shaman character seems a bit dodgy
All agreed :good:

and I reckon Thommo with his Satan's P&P is nowhere near as troublesome as he says it is :alien:
How very dare you! #vapours

Don't let the fact that you have lower targets prevent you from dropping in here and shooting the breeze with everyone - I hit my goal of breaking 80 in the last year a few times but keep coming back for the banter despite my aim this year to be in the 70's on a more regular basis

It's good for the lower handicappers to pop in/regularly visit as they can assist the thought processes of the rest of us.

If those lower handicappers happen to enjoy their time in here, I find those insights are more likely to be given/taken in the right spirit because they come out of inclusive conversation, rather than potentially as "have the crumbs off my plate"

Sooooo, I went down to the shop, which handily backs onto a range, and they found one available for hitting. I put the weight forward, at standard loft (14.5) - very, very nice, a little bit left-to-right, but not a proper slice. I moved the weight back, and it was a little more benign on the lateral movement, still with decent distance improvements over my old 3w and a respectable distance beyond the F7 5w. Put the neck into 14.5D (draw setting), left the weight back, and we were off to the races. Lateral movement was now a tiny draw if there was any, and a nice high flight, landing similar distance as before, quite softly. So I put the weight forward (as this isn't going to be a "going for the green club"), and after just half a dozen hits in this config, I went in and bought one. (Not the one I was hitting, a brand new one incidentally) After I got home, I got the wrench out and set it up as I last had it on the range.

Looking forward to putting it in play, especially as I was half convinced woods were verboten for me, and that I'd be consigned to "hybrid off the tee" for the foreseeable. :good:

#longballs

That is awesome!!!! Glad it worked for you. :clapp:

OK, so...could I get the #b100 opinions on something, pls?

I've entered a few of the "testers required" threads, genuinely in an effort to try and contribute something back to this place I enjoy so much... so far without any success, but c'est la guerre, not everyone can get everything, no issues on my side.

But - it occurs to me that, with me being over here, it might add:
1. some extra postage costs,
2. some potential regional release/embargo issues, and
3. some non equivalency with regard to climate/conditions compared to the US

I get all of that, I really do - plus, even though testers etc. are being openly asked for, it can look a little grasping, "come on, give me stuff" at some point, despite that not being the intention.

So - am I better off not submitting to these things so as not to waste peoples times, or am I just being an overthinking dunce, and any and all efforts - successful or not - are welcomed?

Doc, I've seen you in a few as well - is it only me thinking this?

I've entered a few of the "testers required" threads, genuinely in an effort to try and contribute something back to this place I enjoy so much... so far without any success, but c'est la guerre, not everyone can get everything, no issues on my side.

I get all of that, I really do - plus, even though testers etc. are being openly asked for, it can look a little grasping, "come on, give me stuff" at some point, despite that not being the intention.

So - am I better off not submitting to these things so as not to waste peoples times, or am I just being an overthinking dunce, and any and all efforts - successful or not - are welcomed?

I would say continue to try to be able to test gear/balls whatever is available. Yes there would be additional cost for shipping, but I don't think that would be an issue IMO. As far as climate/conditions go it is pretty much even for the most part other than you have a lot more links style course there compared to hear.
I would not hesitate to try to get to a THP event if you can swing it. I can see there being more issue with that.

Just my take on what you are thinking.

There is also a window for golf this afternoon. :bananadance:

I wondered this myself but haven't seen anything saying it's limited in any way so no harm in trying.

Ponder approved, and enabling engaged.

There are a few people you might want to avoid..... that Hammy/Shaman character seems a bit dodgy, and I reckon Thommo with his Satan's P&P is nowhere near as troublesome as he says it is :alien:

I am VERY dodgy.

Keep at it man, I don’t think it would matter all that much.

I've upped my minimum temperature for golf to 40 degrees. Screw this winter s**t.

I've upped my minimum temperature for golf to 40 degrees. Screw this winter s**t.

Welcome back Brian! I wondered if you & Ben moved away or something.

Got out this afternoon. It almost got to 50 but the wind was keeping it quite chilly and thankfully I had an extra jacket in bag. 40/38=78.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I felt your enabling approval in the force. Already purchased :good:

As I read the thread, I saw that later. I'm glad I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back