Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh great. We’ll never get Shammy’s head back to norma size now.

I’ll have you know that megacephalism is not a joke, sir! (Huge head tilts forward menacingly.)

I’ll have you know that megacephalism is not a joke, sir! (Huge head tilts forward menacingly.)
Goddammit, I'm in no mood for a google search, Hammy.

*runs to google........................

The day I finish sub-100 still waits...

Some good things today but a ton of bad things. Started with a rush to get to the course, and went down hill from there. Didn't warm up enough. Never got comfortable with my driver. Then got to the first tee and couldn't get off the tee box. Whiffed. Literally. Then popped two up short and hit one in the water. Finally got an iron and hit 40 yards. Embarassing. That's prolly the one thing I want out of my game the most: those moments when it suddenly looks like I have never played golf before. Awful. After that I settled down and my driving was very good today. Best part of the game. You can laugh at my love for the GX7 and their goofy infomercials but that thing is gold. It drives straight and it drives far. I gotta get the rest of my game up to it!

Other notes:

* Broke a pair of sunglasses and had a head cover go down the tube in a my bag. It was that kinda day.
* Too many penalties.
* Did okay in the sand - got out usually in 1 - but why am I in the sand?
* Made some bogeys and a par, but too many snowmen

Worst part was a 145 yard over the creek shot that I took my five iron to make sure it got to the back of the green and promptly hit it 125 and it barely stayed up. 125 with a five iron?! I've got to find more consistency and more distance.

Finished the day at 117. Not the worst day ever and I haven't played in 3 weeks so maybe that's okay. Would like to have done a little better, tbh. Need more work on my second shot. Need something that hits it further and straighter. Some work with the pitching wedge wouldn't hurt either.

5-6 wood is kind of spinny for a tee club. I guess it would work if accuracy is the primary goal, but would probably leave yardage on the table versus a 3-4 wood. I find driver easier to hit than 3 woods though.

Dave

Yeah, the recommendation was based on the "accuracy first" requirement, and Ghost would have the ability to move the loft up/down (17° - 20°) and weight forward/back to address flight and spin.

Last edited:
I noticed this in my own game recently but it was the opposite (toe heavy the longer the iron) and I tinkered with the distance between me and the ball (I was standing too close to the ball in my long irons). Something to ponder at your next range session, brother.

Good call. I'll check it out. Since I've been toeing them (short irons) so bad probably have resorted to moving in closer and this is the result.

The day I finish sub-100 still waits...

Some good things today but a ton of bad things. Started with a rush to get to the course, and went down hill from there. Didn't warm up enough. Never got comfortable with my driver. Then got to the first tee and couldn't get off the tee box. Whiffed. Literally. Then popped two up short and hit one in the water. Finally got an iron and hit 40 yards. Embarassing. That's prolly the one thing I want out of my game the most: those moments when it suddenly looks like I have never played golf before. Awful. After that I settled down and my driving was very good today. Best part of the game. You can laugh at my love for the GX7 and their goofy infomercials but that thing is gold. It drives straight and it drives far. I gotta get the rest of my game up to it!

Other notes:

* Broke a pair of sunglasses and had a head cover go down the tube in a my bag. It was that kinda day.
* Too many penalties.
* Did okay in the sand - got out usually in 1 - but why am I in the sand?
* Made some bogeys and a par, but too many snowmen

Worst part was a 145 yard over the creek shot that I took my five iron to make sure it got to the back of the green and promptly hit it 125 and it barely stayed up. 125 with a five iron?! I've got to find more consistency and more distance.

Finished the day at 117. Not the worst day ever and I haven't played in 3 weeks so maybe that's okay. Would like to have done a little better, tbh. Need more work on my second shot. Need something that hits it further and straighter. Some work with the pitching wedge wouldn't hurt either.

Bad days happen. Take it on the chin, and move on. It's gonna happen, just kinda clicks when you least expect it.

I’m something alright.

Sorcerer, witch doctor... Shaman!! Come on guys, that was an effin layup. Expect way more from this crew.

Sorcerer, witch doctor... Shaman!! Come on guys, that was an effin layup. Expect way more from this crew.

No - he's wily. That's just what he was expecting us to do. My motto is "wherever there are expectations, confound or subvert" :good:

No - he's wily. That's just what he was expecting us to do. My motto is "wherever there are expectations, confound or subvert" :good:

You ,ay think you've seen into my game, but, there are games within games within games.

I am truly an onion of subterfuge.

Good morning peeps, lots of action here this morning!!!! Everyone must of had extra coffee. :bulgy-eyes:
Pondering @obedt question. I had a good chuckle when someone said swing guru!!! :laughing: @Sean would be better to answer this question.

Good morning peeps, lots of action here this morning!!!! Everyone must of had extra coffee. :bulgy-eyes:
Pondering @obedt question. I had a good chuckle when someone said swing guru!!! :laughing: @Sean would be better to answer this question.

(Slides eye to handicap) Uh huh.

Quick question for the swing gurus here.

Barring an equipment issue (which I don’t believe to be the case since the problem extends to various sets), why would I be coming in toe down with short irons but not with mid and long irons? It’s been a recent trend, but kinda stinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna throw a guess out, and I would say you are not staying down (in posture). You are starting to come up and extending your arms to reach for the ball. So you are getting upright. It doesn't happen with the long irons simply because they are longer and you are keeping your posture and staying down. It is somewhat of a mental thing with that we naturally do, put a longer club in your hands and you will naturally be a bit more upright, it is what your eyes tell you.
Try to hit a few balls and really concentrate on keeping the same posture and not raising up before making contact with the ball.

5-6 wood is kind of spinny for a tee club. I guess it would work if accuracy is the primary goal, but would probably leave yardage on the table versus a 3-4 wood. I find driver easier to hit than 3 woods though.

I tossed the 3wood as it was as bad at finding the fairway as my driver but shorter in distance. If I am on a hole that NEEDS to land in the fairway, I will always grab my 5 wood and take a smooth swing. Yes I loose distance but better than having a 1 stroke penalty or chipping out back into a fairway.

I'm gonna throw a guess out, and I would say you are not staying down (in posture). You are starting to come up and extending your arms to reach for the ball. So you are getting upright. It doesn't happen with the long irons simply because they are longer and you are keeping your posture and staying down. It is somewhat of a mental thing with that we naturally do, put a longer club in your hands and you will naturally be a bit more upright, it is what your eyes tell you.
Try to hit a few balls and really concentrate on keeping the same posture and not raising up before making contact with the ball.

When I have contact towards the toe (here lately on the extreme toe) it’s from coming OTT. I get really steep and that causes it for me.

I'll try this at the range. That has been a problem for me before.

Got in a quick 18 this am and once again had some issues with scoring clubs. Up and down day...take away the first and last holes and it could have been mistaken for solid. Hit some real crisp shots, particularly with the 5i down to the 8i. Driver has been neglected, but I think it's something I can get straightened out.

They're fussing about playing out of a divot outside, in the wilds of the regular forum.

So glad I stopped caring about the rules of golf.

I may have misunderstood what I obedt was asking. Toe down and toe strikes are different. If hitting way out on toe could be standing to far from ball and reaching. Play with it a bit and watch where you are at address.

I may have misunderstood what I obedt was asking. Toe down and toe strikes are different. If hitting way out on toe could be standing to far from ball and reaching. Play with it a bit and watch where you are at address.

No, you were right. I’m toe down more than anything. Yes, some toe strikes but not egregious. Especially for my hc.

If I had to pick one thing causing me issues it would probably be sequencing. Need to start the downswing from the ground up and may be doing a better job of that with the mid irons. Maybe I’m a little over eager once I finally have a PW in hand.

A few pics as promised from the weekend.

1st tee.
U76TjlJ.jpg

The other two in the final three ball
J3bPMcB.jpg

5th tee
wousLWs.jpg

14th tee looking across the course back at the 9th green
AlON1xb.jpg

No, you were right. I’m toe down more than anything. Yes, some toe strikes but not egregious. Especially for my hc.

If I had to pick one thing causing me issues it would probably be sequencing. Need to start the downswing from the ground up and may be doing a better job of that with the mid irons. Maybe I’m a little over eager once I finally have a PW in hand.

For the most part you should have the same swing with the PW as you do a 5 iron. I am guilty of not getting my hips rotating as well. Don't want to irritate a glute ya know. :D

Nice looking course and some great views.

They're fussing about playing out of a divot outside, in the wilds of the regular forum.

So glad I stopped caring about the rules of golf.

Meh. I added 2c there but in the end, I just think common sense should win. A lot of the golf rules are too antiquated.

Improving my “Divots in Regulation” is one of my 2019 goals. It’s really hard to land in them in the rough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back