Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a four-hour short game clinic with Todd Sones tomorrow afternoon and playing 18 Sunday morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a four-hour short game clinic with Todd Sones tomorrow afternoon and playing 18 Sunday morning

That will be fun!!!!

Indeed off work at 4 teeing off at 4:01. Course championship Sunday.

I see you appearing out of the heat shimmer like Clint Eastwood in "High Plains Drifter". Except with no horse. And with a Clic-Gear. So, more like "High Plains Walker".

That will be fun!!!!

Yes. My green-side shots have improved nicely. 100-10 yds is still adventure, but I’m really good at short and long shots!

It’ll be a yuck fest on Sunday.

Yes. My green-side shots have improved nicely. 100-10 yds is still adventure, but I’m really good at short and long shots!

It’ll be a yuck fest on Sunday.

Ya tomorrow mornings lesson and round is gonna be sticky.

Playing tomorrow with the usual miscreants. Last week's round has me feeling good, but I need to mentally rein myself in to start smart, and let the round develop. The driver was kind last week, but I don't want to push my luck.

Shot 47 this morning before it got too hot. Unfortunately I don’t think I warmed up enough, and the first 3 holes were not great (pulled every shot left – except for the punch outs from behind the trees).

I felt myself rushing to play faster for some reason, so I focused on:

1) feeling what I wanted to do for each swing: relax & release tension, keep good structure in my arms, feel my left shoulder go underneath and really take a full turn until I felt the stretch, and feel my hands come back down & through their setup location & then around to the finish.

2) imagining each shot in advance: seeing how the ball was going to travel, where it was going to hit, & how it was going to roll out – as vividly as I could.

3) committing 100% to each swing: swinging with confidence that I can hit this shot that I imagined.

On the next two holes (par 5 & par 4) it paid off huge: two fairways hit, two GIR’s and 2 pars. Each of the full swings on those holes I rated 8* out of 10 for commitment & staying focused. Very little effort in these swings and no wayward shots.

The highlight was the 5th hole par 4: 230 yard drive right down the middle to 133 yards. Then an 8 iron (typically my 120ish yard distance) to an uphill pin in back – it ended up pin high & 15 feet left. The quality of strike for these two holes was so nice – it felt like a different person was hitting the shots.

*(NOTE: I would consider 8 of 10 to be very good: if I hit every shot at 8/10 I’d be in the low single digits. A nine would be excellent; full commitment and good technique, direction, etc. And a 10 would be that occasional shot where I do everything right AND also hit the sweet spot of the club and the ball takes off like a rocket – and the swing feels effortless and powerful. I expect a “10” to be rare for me – at least right now)

I lost my focus a bit on the last 4 holes. Chunked a tee shot into a pond, and went triple, bogey, bogey, bogey finish. I did hit a few really good shots in there. But what was very clear to me is that my best swings only come when I can both visualize the shot and also commit to the swing tension-free. And the better I get at this, the more good swings occur.

I had a great round yesterday. Front nine was goodish 50, back nine awful 64. Too many putts and too many penalties due to hasty shots. I was propably tired and started to hit with more force. We had a great flight, one high capper (plus me) who started this season and two more exprienced players. They all commented that my swing was extraordinary fluid and effortless and they were astounded that this is my first full season. Anyhow, I was able to maintain calm and tension free the first 15 holes (added full exhale relaxation to my preshot routine). Last three I was beginning to be quite tired and could not keep proper composure -> pulled most of the shots left.

The good: my effortless swing.

The bad: putting

Things to improve: muscle strength and stamina, espacially core muscles.

I had a great round yesterday. Front nine was goodish 50, back nine awful 64. Too many putts and too many penalties due to hasty shots. I was propably tired and started to hit with more force. We had a great flight, one high capper (plus me) who started this season and two more exprienced players. They all commented that my swing was extraordinary fluid and effortless and they were astounded that this is my first full season. Anyhow, I was able to maintain calm and tension free the first 15 holes (added full exhale relaxation to my preshot routine). Last three I was beginning to be quite tired and could not keep proper composure -> pulled most of the shots left.

Things to improve: muscle strength and stamina, espacially core muscles.

And putting lessons if you can find some nearby!

Keep up the good work! Don't get frustrated if you hit a plateau & don't seem to be improving. I think you have the right idea about keeping the swing tension free & fluid.

And putting lessons if you can find some nearby!

Putting is learned by practicing, not by listening some douche how to putt! :D

Keep up the good work! Don't get frustrated if you hit a plateau & don't seem to be improving.

Only thing in the plateau is the score. I have had tremendous success in the swing effortlesness(?) and hitting the ball properly. At the same time putting has degraded. So, 10 shots saved by decreasing amount of penalties are transferred to 3/4-putting :)

I think you have the right idea about keeping the swing tension free & fluid.

Funny thing is that by not trying to hit hard, I have gained 10-20yd per club. Mostly hitting the sweetspot more often, but also delivering more clubhead speed because I'm not trying to force club, but allowing the momentum of the club work. Basic principle of Aikido: let your opponent do the work and you just steer to momentum for your advantage.

Shot 47 this morning before it got too hot. Unfortunately I don’t think I warmed up enough, and the first 3 holes were not great (pulled every shot left – except for the punch outs from behind the trees).

I felt myself rushing to play faster for some reason, so I focused on:

1) feeling what I wanted to do for each swing: relax & release tension, keep good structure in my arms, feel my left shoulder go underneath and really take a full turn until I felt the stretch, and feel my hands come back down & through their setup location & then around to the finish.

2) imagining each shot in advance: seeing how the ball was going to travel, where it was going to hit, & how it was going to roll out – as vividly as I could.

3) committing 100% to each swing: swinging with confidence that I can hit this shot that I imagined.

On the next two holes (par 5 & par 4) it paid off huge: two fairways hit, two GIR’s and 2 pars. Each of the full swings on those holes I rated 8* out of 10 for commitment & staying focused. Very little effort in these swings and no wayward shots.

The highlight was the 5th hole par 4: 230 yard drive right down the middle to 133 yards. Then an 8 iron (typically my 120ish yard distance) to an uphill pin in back – it ended up pin high & 15 feet left. The quality of strike for these two holes was so nice – it felt like a different person was hitting the shots.

*(NOTE: I would consider 8 of 10 to be very good: if I hit every shot at 8/10 I’d be in the low single digits. A nine would be excellent; full commitment and good technique, direction, etc. And a 10 would be that occasional shot where I do everything right AND also hit the sweet spot of the club and the ball takes off like a rocket – and the swing feels effortless and powerful. I expect a “10” to be rare for me – at least right now)

I lost my focus a bit on the last 4 holes. Chunked a tee shot into a pond, and went triple, bogey, bogey, bogey finish. I did hit a few really good shots in there. But what was very clear to me is that my best swings only come when I can both visualize the shot and also commit to the swing tension-free. And the better I get at this, the more good swings occur.

Sounds great! Get yer head straight, and get yer game straight.

Things to improve: booze intake, muscle strength and stamina, espacially core muscles.

fixed.

Putting is learned by practicing, not by listening some douche how to putt! :D

Only thing in the plateau is the score. I have had tremendous success in the swing effortlesness(?) and hitting the ball properly. At the same time putting has degraded. So, 10 shots saved by decreasing amount of penalties are transferred to 3/4-putting :)

Funny thing is that by not trying to hit hard, I have gained 10-20yd per club. Mostly hitting the sweetspot more often, but also delivering more clubhead speed because I'm not trying to force club, but allowing the momentum of the club work. Basic principle of Aikido: get your opponent good and drunk and you just steer to momentum for your advantage.

Fixed.

48 today. I did really great for the first 6 holes. All bogeys. (Ok, not great great, but great for me)

Hole 7 some non golfers were wandering the course, which is fine, but they were looking for a lost animal or something and kept wandering around behind the green where I couldn’t see them. I ended up with a 7 on that hole, just trying to play it easy and not kill someone with a skulled shot. Doubled the next hole because I tried to get cute, and finished with a par and a double.

Not the best round ever, but I hit the ball well pretty consistently, and had an ok time on and around the greens. All in all....not a bad day.

Playing tomorrow with the usual miscreants. Last week's round has me feeling good, but I need to mentally rein myself in to start smart, and let the round develop. The driver was kind last week, but I don't want to push my luck.

Don't go having a heat stroke on me.

Next round is scheduled to start in 6 hours. I'm playing with my former neighbour (my most frequent playing partner) and his wife. Gonna be super fun round. I'm going with the golden oldies, Burner 3w and Tour Burner 4-AW. New substitutes 56* and HB #1 putter are also in the bag. This was the set I was planning to play this season, before I went to shopping spree (Driver, two hybrids and fairway wood) in the winter time. Weather will be nice, sunny with few clouds, ~80F. Hopefully I will manage to keep the fluid and effortless swing and use Way of the Playa for course management. Not expecting to score, but I will keep it anyways. Just accepting any score, focus is on mental side of the game.

Don't go having a heat stroke on me.

I shan’t. Got a couple Powerades in the fridge, and a gallon jug of water I froze solid last night. Also, to reveal a littler personal life hack, I wear my swimming trunks on really hot days, because, well, mesh. Please don’t make me paint more of a picture.

I shan’t. Got a couple Powerades in the fridge, and a gallon jug of water I froze solid last night. Also, to reveal a littler personal life hack, I wear my swimming trunks on really hot days, because, well, mesh. Please don’t make me paint more of a picture.

#golfthong #speedolife :good:

Last edited:
Tough round at times today as we got absolutely soaked when the numerous showers passed over the course

The positives
39 points
4 birdies including back to back birdies on the 5th and 6th hole and others on the 16th and 18th

The negative
It took me until about the 12th hole before I managed to hit a straight drive as I was hitting fades all day

We had a 'Beat the Pro' challenge on the 7th hole and I came within half a yard of doubling my money in the challenge when his shot just held the top of the slope and mine spun back down and off the green annoyingly

All in a decent round in the end but Jen had a nightmare today although she wasn't feeling well and had zero energy and it showed with a lot of her shots

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Yesterday was a better day. Consistency is finally returning. Maybe it's better hydration, don't know. Just 3 bad tee shots (one pop-up and 2 hooks into the woods - no slices) that caused triples. 48/47 - 95. Well within reach of an 80something. Best hole was a 512 yd par 5. Hit my best drive of the day, followed by a good heaven-wood shot and a 7i to the green. First putt left me 18" for par, and I made it. Third round in the 90's this week. Hope next week is as productive.

Brutally hot round today. Shot a 106, and made a ton of stupid mistakes. Had some good shots, and had some awful shots. Too freaking hot to play.

No, dear God, please no more picture.

#speedooverpar #jinglebellsmesh

Shot a (very generous) 98 today. Really fell apart on the last 6 holes or so as the heat absolutely kicked my ass. This game would be a whole lot easier if I could drive the ball. Need to start figuring out why I cannot put that club on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back