Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a full weekend of golf with 18 each day since Friday. 82 Friday but was solo so didn’t count it then a 93 sat with @wildcat4life in league, hard course those damn fairway bunkers were beating me up. Went out with the wife for 18 this aft and shot a 33/44 for 82! Same course as Friday’s round. Tees were only 5700 and lots of desert crossings.

My highlight is having 2 birdies and 7 pars. My 4/5 hybrid off the tee is money for me. I did pull the driver three times today and two were dead center the third was just right past the cart path to the right but not lost. AZ summer golf is the best if you can take the heat empty courses and cheap rounds!

Had a full weekend of golf with 18 each day since Friday. 82 Friday but was solo so didn’t count it then a 93 sat with @wildcat4life in league, hard course those damn fairway bunkers were beating me up. Went out with the wife for 18 this aft and shot a 33/44 for 82! Same course as Friday’s round. Tees were only 5700 and lots of desert crossings.

My highlight is having 2 birdies and 7 pars. My 4/5 hybrid off the tee is money for me. I did pull the driver three times today and two were dead center the third was just right past the cart path to the right but not lost. AZ summer golf is the best if you can take the heat empty courses and cheap rounds!

You are progressing quite well, that HC will be in the teens soon!!

Fun round with a couple THP'ers and a another friend of mine.

Teed of at 11:00 and it was CPO and hot.

Played the hardest course in my normal rotation so didn't expect much.

Didn't produce much either.

97 with a breakfast ball---so I recorded a 99 in GHIN.

Played from ~6150 (wet). Only managed 4 pars and a bird.

Offset by a quad and 2 triples.

This is "target golf" and I missed. A LOT.

I'd like to blame the fact that the range was closed due to rain---I really like to hit balls prior to rounds to try and work out swing bugs.

But I just didn't play well. Played relatively smart--only pulled driver on 4 holes. Just couldn't execute.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Had a bad day, brah. Chalk it up and motor on.

Played 18 with my buddy Jason on Sunday. It was much cooler and ultimately less humid, but the course was a cranberry bog, cart path only.

He’s a barber and always volunteers to bring floor sweepings to patch my bald spots. Since we haven’t seen each other since last fall, I showed him my new locks...

fd0a9cf9682bc575b82e75dc0c5c6fad.jpg

I ended up with a 102 (51, 51) with three OBs. Knockdowns into wind most of the day. Putting was decent (1.8/hole) and my green side play continues to improve (especially with my 7I). I’m still figuring out my 10 - 100 yd shots, but have mastered short and long.

Will try to get a walking 9 in next weekend with my wife, so we can both work on out shot making. I really like ShotScope, saves time getting distances and the stats are great.

dbc565565133baf453ebd80f7a4033fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A much more like it 43+43=86 today.

2h cooperating off the tee, wedges working well, putter giving me half a chance. Kept it in play, played percentage shots, never got myself into real lumber today, took my medicine when I got horrible bounces.

Nice play, Sir!

Shot a lackluster 44 on a par 31 9 hole course today. But I hit the ball well and felt good. Plus the weather was perfect. This is my first time playing the Navy Cruiser course since the 1990’s. So I count it as a new course for me. Especially since it appears to have been redone. I remember it as a rock garden, but this course is really nice now. Great fairways and greens.

This one needs to become part of my regular rotation.
d21627f0f0817f05a9bc796a39720a38.jpg

a4afa8841a367116456cd474c7d98261.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a pretty small warship. Carries, what 1" guns?

Picked up Sunday tix for the BMW Championship at Medinah. Will be nice to see how it’s REALLY done, up close. Haven’t been to a PGA event in 20 yrs. looking forward to it!

Not a good day on the course today. It's my 4th round back out since I got back into the game. Hit a few goods shots here and there, but seemed like just about everything was going left off the tee box.

Highlight of the day though was getting my first birdie ever!! It was on a par 3, hit first ball within about 8 feet of the pin. Putted on a slight sloping downhill like I knew what I was doing. Ha Ha!! I also got a par on the very next hole which was a par 4.

Going to PGA Center tomorrow for a lesson to see what I can get corrected before I get to playing too much more and keep any of my bad habits going.

Shot a 52+49 = 101

Several triple bogies on the day. Today was a stark contrast(+10) to how I played last week.

Soooo....four rounds in, and a 101. And a birdie. First, well done! Second, I might have to hate on you. It's not personal. After I stunk up the entire planet Saturday, I seethe with envy towards everyone who is better than me. It's a personality flaw with me. Give it time, I'll be back to loving you soon.

And there it is. I'm back to being a paragon of love for all golfers.

What kind of cap did you carry before the layoff? Lots of times a solid player will have a handful of rounds where they are just knocking of the rust, then get back to pretty close to what they were carding before.

Any major swing overhauls? We need details, man!

Picked up Sunday tix for the BMW Championship at Medinah. Will be nice to see how it’s REALLY done, up close. Haven’t been to a PGA event in 20 yrs. looking forward to it!

That will be a great time!!!

That's some nice golf. Remember us fondly when you are in that other thread. (Breaking 90)

From my experience last week, there's two ways to really enjoy the live golf.

1.) find a spot near the landing area for drives on any hole. Park there and watch groups come through.
2.) Find a 2-some that is not in the lead, and walk with them.

I found both to be enjoyable.

I, personally, wanted to see the players play the game, and by that, I mean watching them approach the ball, decide on the shot, etc. It's also a cool view if you can get to the angle where you can stand close to them with a view down the hole to watch the ball come off their club and the flight of the ball.

OK, I'm done sulking about my horrific round on Sat. Looking forward to next Saturday. Also, was watching YT last night and decided to view beginner golf videos. As in, just picking up the game. Found some really instructive and interesting clips by Mike Malaska.

Having "played" the game for a couple decades without instruction, his thoughts on learning the aspects of the swing in the proper order, and only progressing when that facet has been mastered was a lightbulb moment. Also his premise of mastering the hands first before introducing big muscle movement, is quite intriguing to me as well. I've not practiced just the hands before.

I think this, (like sooooo many things before :banghead:), could really help me. His drill using the hockey grip was so simple, but it may help me get rid of my dreaded chicken wing. Maybe. I can also do the drill indoors at any time. I watched some old clips of my swing, and my backswing isn't bad. nor is my follow through. It's the moment of release when my hands don't stop moving forward, and become a pivot point. They hit that point, and keep sliding to my left on a line parallel to my belt line. As soon as that happens, the left arm comes away from my body and starts to fold instead of staying straight an releasing the club. Instant chicken wing, and pulling of the club towards my body from a shoulder shrug.

Hopefully, the Malaska drill will help me train my hands to stop where they should and become the pivot point.

Enjoy it

Like Hammy said, you have a couple options - find a spot and watch multiple groups come through or follow a group

We have been to the British Masters a couple times and this year we had weekend tickets, so on the Saturday we followed a group for a while, then parked up and watched groups come through before following another group round more of the course to get an idea of good spots to be on the Sunday - doing the same next year at Close House as we have already got the tickets for the weekend again, but it is a local course I have played a few times so I know where some of the good spots are

If you can get a good spot on a par 3 it is impressive watching the players and how accurate they can be - we had a spot directly above and behind a green so we could watch the ball from the tee to the green and then watch them putt

We also sat by a greenside bunker and watched the players hit the bunker shots and it is annoying how easy they make it look

Stinker of a round for me on Saturday. Ended up with a 105, mainly because I put the driver back in play.

I was playing 3 off the tee at least 5 times and in awful rough for several more. I was tempted back into using it after a good session on the range midweek and because we were off the back tees for the first time. Even with that drivers rarely needed, especially considering I made par hitting 4i off the tee on the toughest hole on the course which is 430 uphill and into wind.

Going back to irons only again for next weekend and until I can consistently put a good swing on the woods.

Stinker of a round for me on Saturday. Ended up with a 105, mainly because I put the driver back in play.

I was playing 3 off the tee at least 5 times and in awful rough for several more. I was tempted back into using it after a good session on the range midweek and because we were off the back tees for the first time. Even with that drivers rarely needed, especially considering I made par hitting 4i off the tee on the toughest hole on the course which is 430 uphill and into wind.

Going back to irons only again for next weekend and until I can consistently put a good swing on the woods.

I know I've told the story before, but it bears bringing up again. I used to play regularly with a friend who carried around a 8-10 cap. I can't remember him using a driver off the tee. (Granted, it's been three decades now.) He used a 2-iron. always flushed, always in play, and he could work it where he wanted. Moral of the story: if the 4i gets the job done, use it. save the driver for the range until it's your buddy again.

Soooo....four rounds in, and a 101. And a birdie. First, well done! Second, I might have to hate on you. It's not personal. After I stunk up the entire planet Saturday, I seethe with envy towards everyone who is better than me. It's a personality flaw with me. Give it time, I'll be back to loving you soon.

And there it is. I'm back to being a paragon of love for all golfers.

What kind of cap did you carry before the layoff? Lots of times a solid player will have a handful of rounds where they are just knocking of the rust, then get back to pretty close to what they were carding before.

Any major swing overhauls? We need details, man!

Have never really been constantly better than I shot yesterday. Grew up going out to the course with my dad every once in awhile and he taught me the basics. Have had some flashes of good shots and putting together a good for me round. My 4 rounds are 105, 97,91, and 101 yesterday. But, the usual bad shots always creep back in. The 91 I was actually striking the ball really well. Repeating that would certainly be my goal.

Did watch some YouTube videos last week and I think that helped, but without some first hand viewing of my swing and some correction, I am in the dark of what I am doing wrong.

I come from a bowling back ground, I'm a scratch bowler averaging a steady 225 the past several years. I know the value of good coaching and know what it can do for your game. Hopefully that translates to my golf game.

Will report back what the lesson at the PGA store finds and fixes. Looking forward to it this morning.

Have never really been constantly better than I shot yesterday. Grew up going out to the course with my dad every once in awhile and he taught me the basics. Have had some flashes of good shots and putting together a good for me round. My 4 rounds are 105, 97,91, and 101 yesterday. But, the usual bad shots always creep back in. The 91 I was actually striking the ball really well. Repeating that would certainly be my goal.

Did watch some YouTube videos last week and I think that helped, but without some first hand viewing of my swing and some correction, I am in the dark of what I am doing wrong.

I come from a bowling back ground, I'm a scratch bowler averaging a steady 225 the past several years. I know the value of good coaching and know what it can do for your game. Hopefully that translates to my golf game.

Will report back what the lesson at the PGA store finds and fixes. Looking forward to it this morning.

ntanygd760 is a big bowler as well.

Please do share the lesson content and your evaluation of it. It's may be the most innocuous thing you mention that can be revelatory to someone here.

OK, I'm done sulking about my horrific round on Sat. Looking forward to next Saturday. Also, was watching YT last night and decided to view beginner golf videos. As in, just picking up the game. Found some really instructive and interesting clips by Mike Malaska.

Having "played" the game for a couple decades without instruction, his thoughts on learning the aspects of the swing in the proper order, and only progressing when that facet has been mastered was a lightbulb moment. Also his premise of mastering the hands first before introducing big muscle movement, is quite intriguing to me as well. I've not practiced just the hands before.

I think this, (like sooooo many things before :banghead:), could really help me. His drill using the hockey grip was so simple, but it may help me get rid of my dreaded chicken wing. Maybe. I can also do the drill indoors at any time. I watched some old clips of my swing, and my backswing isn't bad. nor is my follow through. It's the moment of release when my hands don't stop moving forward, and become a pivot point. They hit that point, and keep sliding to my left on a line parallel to my belt line. As soon as that happens, the left arm comes away from my body and starts to fold instead of staying straight an releasing the club. Instant chicken wing, and pulling of the club towards my body from a shoulder shrug.

Hopefully, the Malaska drill will help me train my hands to stop where they should and become the pivot point.

#liveroverpar

You are progressing quite well, that HC will be in the teens soon!!

Thanks working hard and trying to stay consistent which is super hard LOL!

That's some nice golf. Remember us fondly when you are in that other thread. (Breaking 90)

How could anyone ever forget you! I like it here so not leaving anytime soon

How could anyone ever forget you! I like it here so not leaving anytime soon
B100 in short:

The good: Hamfist
The bad: Hamfist
The ugly: ...

:D

Couple of pics from the weekend:

eAs11rC.jpg

0cC66yP.jpg

Both evil holes - both try and trick you into hitting way more club than you actually need. Fell foul of it on the lower hole (the bonsai cedars/topiary hedges whatever they are totally take the eye, and disguise the huge drop in front of the green), managed to work it out on the upper one (you're so worried about the tree right in front of you guarding the main fairway that you almost forget you can play a 9i straight at the water, and then have just another 9i over the water). Just a few course design subtleties, and possible shot choices to combat them, I'm slowly cottoning on to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back