Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday's 9 holes.... we report.... you decide.

1) Started with a double bogey. I learned not to hit a 5 iron off the 1st tee because I really can reach the woods with it. 7 iron next time.
2) Par 5. Duffed my tee shot but didn't leave myself much of a 2nd shot so I hit an overdraw and left myself an easy lob shot. GIR. Nice lag. Bad 2nd putt. Bogey.
3) Par 3. GIR. 3 putt. Bogey.
4) Par 4. Put my tee shot into the trees. Chipped out. Put it on the green. Three putted. DB.
5) Par 5. Duffed the tee shot. 2nd shot into the trees. Chipped up about 100 yds. Overshot the green onto hardpan. Duffed the chip but was on the green. 3 putted.
6) Par 3. GIR Two putts. Par.
7) Par 4. Sliced the tits off the drive but it ricocheted back onto the fairway. Hit the 2nd shot heavy. Third shot onto the green. Three putted. DB.
8) Par 4. Hit a 240 yd drive into the rough on the left behind a cedar short. Instead of chipping out. I tried to lob it over. The ball was below my feet. I hit it off the hosel and it shot under the tree. +2 lost ball penalty and rehit. Made it onto the green this time. Three putted. 8.
9) Par 5. Hit another 240 yd drive (where was this hiding?) down the middle. Blocked the 6 iron right, got 2 lucky bounces on the cart path back into the short rough up about 220 yds from where I hit. That left me a short lob shot onto the green. I skulled it into the rough on the other side. Hit a lob shot to 5 feet from the hole. Putted.... ball went around the rim of the hole 270 degrees before dropping for a par.

Total 52. 23 putts. Brutal.
I usually have 16 putts for 9 holes. I just think I wasn't careful enough on putting alignment - I think the ball was a little too far forward since it was going a little left.

The F8 arrived and I took it out to the range today. It looks great, feels great, and has a nice high trajectory. My home course has been very wet often and I need to maximize carry. Any concerns I had over the Tensei 50g R being a noodle were not well founded. It is plenty stable and feels good.

Dave

Yesterday's 9 holes.... we report.... you decide.

Total 52. 23 putts. Brutal.
I usually have 16 putts for 9 holes. I just think I wasn't careful enough on putting alignment - I think the ball was a little too far forward since it was going a little left.

You know what you need to work on IMO. Make sure you aren't closing the face a bit and pulling it left.

Far be it for me to comment on someone’s desire to master the driver when their 4i is treating them so well.....

That was one round. No idea how the 4 will do the next round. It could turn to poop, I have that effect on clubs. Lol

Latest forecast for Saturday - I think we might get wet...

25729809ce00fc67d3da7204a0bd3125.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Hey Doc, visit Finland on Saturday:
6c98c29ba47ce5f1a3bc30c091ef01ec.jpg

That was one round. No idea how the 4 will do the next round. It could turn to poop, I have that effect on clubs. Lol
Does that meen you'll change your nick to antimidas?

Have the driver in the car to hit the range after work tonight. Need to work on what I was shown in the lesson.
There is another Grandaddy contest up peeps.

Have the driver in the car to hit the range after work tonight. Need to work on what I was shown in the lesson.
There is another Grandaddy contest up peeps.

Already got my entry in

I might throw a couple clubs in the car tomorrow to head to the range after work - if the forecast had been a bit better I would have suggested to Jen that we go to the course and play a few holes before the mixed competition on Saturday but it is looking like rain from mid-afternoon tomorrow all the way through until Sunday afternoon

Got an admission to make - went out for a round yesterday morning and (hit the ball like crap) genuinely got upset to the point it wasn’t fun anymore. I know I haven’t practiced and there’s been a lot going on, but golf should be an escape and not a source of frustration.

Anyways, promised myself I’d make time for 3 range sessions next week, without trying to play. A little bit of damage control going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I'm playing on Saturday morning. Solo round turned out to be at least duo. The more the merrier. Packing Marvin (3w) and irons through 5-aw and 56*. 4h will substitute 4I. Went to range today, the effortless swing remains to be winner. Just need to remember not to rush or use force.

Got an admission to make - went out for a round yesterday morning and (hit the ball like crap) genuinely got upset to the point it wasn’t fun anymore. I know I haven’t practiced and there’s been a lot going on, but golf should be an escape and not a source of frustration.

Anyways, promised myself I’d make time for 3 range sessions next week, without trying to play. A little bit of damage control going on.

Stay positive. Enjoy it and a cold one.

Booze.

Great private on course lesson on Tuesday. We worked on uneven lies, fairway woods and putting. Again we had the course almost to ourselves and I was able to hit a couple of balls at each hole from a variety of lies. Learned sooo much the lesson wasn't cheap, but worth it. Played last night and had a great game, one Par 3, one Par 4 and just a bogey on a Par 5. Bogeyed most of the rest of the holes, a really big improvement over my normal game. This has really given me confidence in my game. I love golf!

Great private on course lesson on Tuesday. We worked on uneven lies, fairway woods and putting. Again we had the course almost to ourselves and I was able to hit a couple of balls at each hole from a variety of lies. Learned sooo much the lesson wasn't cheap, but worth it. Played last night and had a great game, one Par 3, one Par 4 and just a bogey on a Par 5. Bogeyed most of the rest of the holes, a really big improvement over my normal game. This has really given me confidence in my game. I love golf!

That is so awesome to here!!!! Keep it up. :clapp:

It happens. Most important thing is you recognized it. Just make the focus on enjoying the round vs "the score"

I can so relate, right now, brother. Don't beat yourself up. I'm doing enough of that for the both of us.

It happens. Most important thing is you recognized it. Just make the focus on enjoying the round vs "the score"

I'm usually ok, not great, but ok with enjoying the round. I was a miserable playing partner last round out. That't the big no no.

I can so relate, right now, brother. Don't beat yourself up. I'm doing enough of that for the both of us.

I'm sure it's just a rut. You had it going strong there, sure you'll get it back soon.

I was just there too. Golf has to be fun. If it isn't fun then you may want to set it aside until it is.

Dave

I've been there.

And usually halfway through the first range session I think I "figured it out".

Then go play anyway...and.....rinse/wash/repeat.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Playing back to back tough courses tomorrow and Saturday.

Makes three in a row after the round last Saturday.

My already suffering golf self esteem will likely be in the gutter by Sunday.

But weirdly looking forward to the challenge if this ridiculous rain finally stops.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So I bit the bullet and finally took a driver lesson. Huge mistake and a huge waste of money. I'm more twisted and f$%^ed up than I've ever been with that stick. I could tell within the first 5 minutes that this instructor was not for me but I gutted it out hoping my investment would mine at least one golden nugget to treasure and hold on to. Nope. Not a single thing resonated with me.

At one point she had me transitioning into my downswing before I even came close to finishing my backswing (which isn't long to begin with). I'm thinking "WTF are we trying to accomplish here"? It sure the hell isn't balance in the swing because what she had me doing was the complete opposite of that. I would start my backswing and she would say "Now" to transition to my dowswing. The video of that portion of the lesson is a hideous swing that hangs back with no true finish of the backswing or downswing. There was so much wrong with this lesson. She had me aiming my thumb to my ear, crossing my hands over in such a way that NO golf swing should ever look like. And, to top it off, when I did actually stripe one perfectly down the middle (about 270) she told me she didn't like the way my hands finished and that they should be straight out in front of me with no bend to my right elbow at finish (I'm a lefty). At that point I mentally checked out (fortunately it was toward the end of the lesson). She had me doing some ridiculous swing that resulted in a horrible shot that went about 170 yards out and 35 yards left and she says "great shot"! I asked what was great about it and she asked what I didn't like about it? I said "Well other than the fact that it's about 100 yards short and 40 left, guess it was awesome". I don't think she appreciated my honesty.

During my lesson a few of her students showed up on the range and she would comment on their swings with an apology and an "O.K. back to you". Her clientele? Not a single person born after 1948. Then I started to wonder if she's trying to teach me like I'm 87 years old instead of 47.

To my credit, I figured, "You know what, maybe there's a method to her madness. Give this a chance". So, the past two nights, I've gone to the range and hit two medium buckets of balls, each time, hitting nothing but driver trying to weave through this pretzel of madness. Out of, roughly, 140 balls I hit a grand total of 11 drives down the middle trying her approach and not a single one of them was longer than 220 yards. And these were no tee it up, pound it, tee it up pound it, tee it up pound it sessions. I made sure that every stroke that I took was deliberate and with purpose. I'm so pissed right now I could punch babies. It will take 5 lessons from someone competent to unravel this mess. I don't even remember how to swing the driver like I did 7 days ago my head is so screwed with this approach.

Here's the real kicker: I explained to her, close to the end of the lesson, that I'm actually a right handed person that plays golf left handed. There was an awkward 5 second silence and she says "Well, that's probably your problem". WTF? To top it off, she suggested that I play cornhole left handed for extra practice. Murder was looking like a reasonable option at that point.

Looks like I'll have to spend the next week at the range un-f*%^ing this hole mess.

Anyhoo, how are things?

I'm usually ok, not great, but ok with enjoying the round. I was a miserable playing partner last round out. That't the big no no.

Nothing worse than realizing (often too late) that you were "that guy". I've been there my, man. It's a gift and a curse. The curse is obvious but the gift is that you're cognizant of it and rarely become that guy again for another year or so (at least in my case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back