Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Golf in Germany, don't have the license you need to play over there.

That thread was gold. I had no idea that you needed to pass a test to gold in Germany. But, upon reflection, it sounds very German. Do they have exceptions to the rule if you are a tourist wanting to get in a round on a free day?

LOL. All you have is a response to a situation. Make it a good one. And booze. Always booze.

Indeed Sir, indeed! Sadly, with heavy duty meds, spirit-ed libations aren’t highly recommended . I will live vicariously thorough you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That thread was gold. I had no idea that you needed to pass a test to gold in Germany. But, upon reflection, it sounds very German. Do they have exceptions to the rule if you are a tourist wanting to get in a round on a free day?

To be brutally honest I don't know. But I'm hazarding a guess that if you don't have a recognised handicap card that is low enough or something of that ilk then they won't let you on. I don't think it is as big an industry as in other countries of Europe like Spain or Portugal because of the massively variable weather.

I might need a license to breath the German air for all I know

The plot sadly thickens. I’ve been referred immediately to the Skokie Orthopaedic Center’ s for more blood work and immediate IV antibiotics, for a definite infection in my hip. not good at all...

So, off tomorrow through Monday. We have our annual get-together in Columbus. Playing 18 tomorrow p.m., and 18 Saturday a.m.

We've been doing this since about '84, and the caps are figured out by the scores from the last five years, averaged out. (Highest recorded scores and lowest recorded scores are dropped, because they can unduly influence the real average. For example, one memorable year I had a thermos full of Rumple Minze and my buddy forgot how to walk and carded a 136, or something silly. The catchphrase for that round was "No schnapps, no props!")

So, I'm still riding my 18.something cap into this weekend, and, since I'm feeling good about my game right now, I might take home the green thrift-store jacket that is the trophy. It has a patch that says "Golf".

If I do win, I'm going to put into action my long delayed plan of having the back of the jacket embroidered, or bedazzled to read "Kneel Before The King".

The plot sadly thickens. I’ve been referred immediately to the Skokie Orthopaedic Center’ s for more blood work and immediate IV antibiotics, for a definite infection in my hip. not good at all...

ER unit.

Indeed Sir, indeed! Sadly, with heavy duty meds, spirit-ed libations aren’t highly recommended . I will live vicariously thorough you!

"not highly recommended" does not say "forbidden".

That sucks.

Well that sucks, good luck

Off to Germany on saturday morning for the honeymoon. Should be a good one driving around one of my favourite parts of the world. Then starting a new job the week after I get back BUSY BUSY

Congrats and sounds like a lot of fun.

ER unit.

Oh No!! Good thing in this is that you went to get it checked out when you knew something was wrong. Too many times I have had friends or family let things go on and just made things way worse.

Here is to recovery and getting back to the course.

How short? Might you be safer to play it as a par 4? (You didn't note that it was a notorious stroke-adding black hole or not.). Wedge/wedge/putt/putt could be the answer.

It's 102 yards from the red tees. The green slopes back to front with a small flat area near the back, and if you land it on the slope on the right you're going to roll into the water. If you land it on the slope on the left you roll into a bunker. If you over shoot the green you end up in the woods. I either need to land the shot on the flat area, or just in front of the green.

It's 102 yards from the red tees. The green slopes back to front with a small flat area near the back, and if you land it on the slope on the right you're going to roll into the water. If you land it on the slope on the left you roll into a bunker. If you over shoot the green you end up in the woods. I either need to land the shot on the flat area, or just in front of the green.

I expect a hole in one report when you hit the perfect shot :D

Played 18 with my father-in-law this morning. He has early stage dementia, so he is struggling with short term memory loss. I was hoping he'd agree to play, as I think it would do him good to be outside & active & doing something he used to love. My MIL thought he wouldn't want to but he surprised her by agreeing to play, so off we went (him riding, me walking & using my clicgear cart).

It was a great time. I also shot a 101 (4 penalties & 4 punch outs from behind/under trees). I suddenly had a case of slice with my driver for most of the round. I recovered eventually & hit my best drive of the day on 17 (260 yards).

The funniest part of this round was my FIL asked me to keep score, but later acted surprised I was writing down his scores & said "Gee I wish you would've told me we were keeping score. I would've cheated harder!) This was repeated several times during the round.

Hopefully I can get him out a few more times. He said he enjoyed it & he did seem to be having a good time.

I expect a hole in one report when you hit the perfect shot :D

Doc, if I ever get a hole in one you will hear the scream in the UK

I vowed to not step foot on a golf course after my last round until I took some more lessons to hopefully fix my iron issue. So, I have booked a package of four 1 hour lessons and am starting on Monday after work. We added my wife for an extra $100 so she will be joining me for all the lessons. She is an athletic person that has never grasped the game of golf. It only causes her frustration, especially on a busy course. If all goes well, we will both be better for it.

To be brutally honest I don't know. But I'm hazarding a guess that if you don't have a recognised handicap card that is low enough or something of that ilk then they won't let you on. I don't think it is as big an industry as in other countries of Europe like Spain or Portugal because of the massively variable weather.

I might need a license to breath the German air for all I know

Depends on the club. If you have a valid GHIN card showing your handicap and rounds, the club will let you play if they accept tourists. If they don't, nothing will get you in.

From Google
To play golf in Germany, most golfers must possess a license called a Platzreife before they can get on the green. To get a license, you can expect to pay at least $300 for a five-day course that involves several hours of training each day. Then you have to pass a series of tests.

This license is to make sure that you can keep up unskilled players off the course that may effect the pace of play. Some on here would be happy with that.

I guess they're not interested in growing the game.

I had a decent round today. Shot 55/53: 108. Three balls were sacrificed to Golf Gods. 1 par, 4 bogeys, 10 doubles and only three triples (or worse). I was able to play very tension-free and most of the shots were very effortless. Some were crap, but did not bother me. Average distances are increasing with almost every club, so I'm doing something right with my swing. I played the driver first time since 10th July when I benched it during a round. Today it was money, 10 shots and only two penalties and no errand shots on top of that. The other highlight was my oldie 2-Ball putter. I putted so well, I wonder why in the world I ever bought a new (now sold) putter. It's just so stable and straight. Even with quite damaged face I putted better than with a blade putter.

Tomorrow afternoon I have a booking, ATM looks like a solo round. The course has three niners which they mix weekly, two of those niners I have already played many times and tomorrow the front nine will be new to me. Again, tension-free and accepting any score.

Riding that draw until it disappears is exactly the right approach. Don't question, don't ponder, don't try to fix. Aim right and let it rip.

This has been me this year

Played 18 with my father-in-law this morning. He has early stage dementia, so he is struggling with short term memory loss. I was hoping he'd agree to play, as I think it would do him good to be outside & active & doing something he used to love. My MIL thought he wouldn't want to but he surprised her by agreeing to play, so off we went (him riding, me walking & using my clicgear cart).

It was a great time. I also shot a 101 (4 penalties & 4 punch outs from behind/under trees). I suddenly had a case of slice with my driver for most of the round. I recovered eventually & hit my best drive of the day on 17 (260 yards).

The funniest part of this round was my FIL asked me to keep score, but later acted surprised I was writing down his scores & said "Gee I wish you would've told me we were keeping score. I would've cheated harder!) This was repeated several times during the round.

Hopefully I can get him out a few more times. He said he enjoyed it & he did seem to be having a good time.

Thanks for sharing!! Love that golf can be such a positive influence on someone's day. Bet it meant a lot to him that you asked.

I got in some range time this am - met up with @jim54. He was solid as usual. I hit the ball ok - honestly probably better than I expected once I got warmed up. Then played 10 holes with a buddy on the short course. Driver was a little bit left, but usually straight. Nothing too serious. Irons were meh, wedges were ok, putting indifferent. Honestly, a perfectly acceptable day compared to some of the crap I've been doing. Wound up with I think 6 over for the 10 holes with two (loong) 3-putts. Good day out on a drenched course.

In the hospital tonight. After I have my hip joint aspirated in the morning, I will either have surgery within 2 weeks or 24 hours.

yikes hope you get back out there soon. Good luck

In the hospital tonight. After I have my hip joint aspirated in the morning, I will either have surgery within 2 weeks or 24 hours.

Good luck! Is this another replacement surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back