Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played 8 holes (skipped the 2nd when the junior comp let me through rather than hold them up as I pulled my tee shot left into thick rough)

1 bogey and the rest were pars

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Woke up not hungover, a positive. Going to work on my chipping today, was kind of the weak link this weekend. Left a lot of 15 footers for par/bogey. Obviously, the answer is new clubs.

Edit: yesterday’s course had some tough, fast greens.

Shot a 103 today. Am posting while pretty drunk. See y’all in the a.m.

Sound like you had the same number of shots at the 19th hole.... #liveroverpar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Range work on Friday to get ready for our Saturday round. Unfortunately rained in the morning and my arthritis in my knee and ankle were swollen by noon. Spent the day with leg elevated and iced watching DVR of LPGA. Those ladies are incredible! Hope to play tomorrow night.

A 46/47=93, including 3 blobs and 2 lost balls.

Very good off the tee today, only missing 3 fairways, one of them by only 2 feet.

I'm using that 2h as my primary tee club now, and it was a machine today for me. It loses nothing to the 3w, probably because I'm comfortable actually getting after it a bit. Unfortunately today, all the smelly bounces came off second shots from my very best drives, so that was a little frustrating. Still happy I got 30 points today off 17.

Funnily enough, was happiest with the scrambling shots today, I had a few I had to manufacture something, and pretty much every one worked as pictured - that's encouraging.

Today, I've have had no luck if I didn't have bad luck - swings and roundabouts, I suppose, I'll have one of those days with good bounces soon enough.

The right hip bursae aspiration yielded enough fluid to determine I have a infant staph infection, whose white counts have elevated too precipitously since I’ve been here. Buckle up.

Take care of yourself, Dawg. :good:

I played Anaheim Hills for the first time today. Really nice course but too tough for my skill level. I shot55 on the front and only got through 14, so I was not going to break 100 today.

Driver was a mess all day. I need lots of range time before I play there again.
20b374bd3bc390abb7ed119c7c73f943.jpg

c4d67f79f96067d26633de2873ce18d6.jpg

Played 9 holes today, and scored a 43, not my best, but I did hit 4 greens, and got 3 pars which is the good news. The bad news is I should have had 2 birdies! Oh well, hit this screamer 20 feet from the green which was a 289 yard hole.

20190804_120341b.jpg

After playing 27 on Friday and then 18 in the league yesterday, I went out to play 9 whilst Jen was playing in the 'Nine and Wine'

I was following a junior comp so wasn't expecting it to be quick but they let me play through on the 2nd hole as there were only 5 youngsters playing today so they were out in one group

Started with a par on the 1st hole, but then pulled my tee shot left on the par 3 2nd hole amd despite seeing it bounce I couldn't see it when I got up there in the rough so I just headed to the next tee rather than hold them up

3rd hole - par
4th hole - par

Joined up with a couple of the guys who were out whilst their kids were playing in the comp

5th hole - bogey after I hit my approach long
6th hole - par
7th hole - par
8th hole - bogey after my approach didn't hold a tricky green

As the 18th tee was clear we decided to play that hole and I finished with another par, so not a bad afternoon I would say

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Pretty good day today. Won my match, so i made it to the Championship match, just waiting to see who opponent will be. Just a beautiful day out for golf. Time to relax.

Pretty good day today. Won my match, so i made it to the Championship match, just waiting to see who opponent will be. Just a beautiful day out for golf. Time to relax.
Congrats. Nicely done

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Played 9 today and shot 46, which is good for me. Parred 4 holes. Hit 5 of 7 fairways. Missed all bunkers today. One par four I was on in 2, putting for bird only to 3 putt and double bogey. Overall really pleased with how I'm playing though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Way to go

Anyone try the Rule of 11 or Rule of 12? It's supposed to be a very simple way to greatly improve mediocre chipping.

While it is presented with math the same idea could be applied with feel. The basic idea is to fly the ball as little as possible and let the ball run towards the hole. I think we could all agree that 18+ caps (sorry Thommo you're too good to make the cut) trying to always fly a 60* wedge to the pin maybe isn't the best idea...

Dave

Back into the 90s today, but with 2 blowup holes could have been in the 80s.

I played the local executive course Friday night and shot 38 / par 32. My wife shot 43 and had a birdie! It's her 2nd ever birdie!

I had my lesson Saturday and came away with a few tips: ball is too far forward, alignment is pointing left, and my takeaway can be herky/jerky. I'm to work to fix the alignment with the end goal of a more inside path and a draw flight. The purpose of the lesson was how to hit the ball farther. I've been on a diet lately and lost about 12 pounds since mid-May. I'm also planning to start daily pushups, nothing crazy... just enough to make sure I'm not losing physical strength while my calorie intake is low. I'm targeting about another 10 lbs.

I tried to play today at a course that gives me fits and it gave me fits today. After hole #4 I was playing bad as I was playing too soon after the lesson and it was slow so I walked off the course. I went to the range to work on what the pro told me and was hitting it well.

Dave

Anyone try the Rule of 11 or Rule of 12? It's supposed to be a very simple way to greatly improve mediocre chipping.

While it is presented with math the same idea could be applied with feel. The basic idea is to fly the ball as little as possible and let the ball run towards the hole. I think we could all agree that 18+ caps (sorry Thommo you're too good to make the cut) trying to always fly a 60* wedge to the pin maybe isn't the best idea...

Dave

I'll be back there soon enough - I've used the rule of 12 myself quite a lot, and I never hit the 60 unless its unavoidable.

Dave

It’s a great method. I use it on occasion, especially if I’m struggling.

Dave

Haven't had time to watch this, but if the content is "prefer bump and run, not lob wedge", then yes, I tend to use 7/8 iron for low and short shots that run to flag. I chip or lob only when there is hazard between ball and flag (or intended area of ball flight).

1 thing I did confirm on Sunday that has sort of been niggling at me, but now I'm fairly certain - my Ping Lob wedge was/is better out of the bunkers than the CBX.

That Eye2 sole is different gravy in the sand, not a shocker as they are still making it. I had been on a frankly ridiculous "out first time" run for a player of my meagre talents, including some massive links revetted faces, but since going to the CBXs, not so much.

CBXs are great everywhere else, and flow into the irons very well, but bunkers? All Ping, all the time. :good:

It is official, had the email confirming my change of handicap down to 11.0 from 11.8

1 thing I did confirm on Sunday that has sort of been niggling at me, but now I'm fairly certain - my Ping Lob wedge was/is better out of the bunkers than the CBX.

That Eye2 sole is different gravy in the sand, not a shocker as they are still making it. I had been on a frankly ridiculous "out first time" run for a player of my meagre talents, including some massive links revetted faces, but since going to the CBXs, not so much.

CBXs are great everywhere else, and flow into the irons very well, but bunkers? All Ping, all the time. :good:
I have found the same thing and agree that the CBXs are great except for bunker use. I use a Callaway Sure Out 60* in the bunker. Amazing club for bunker shots.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Happy Monday B100! Have a great week.

It is official, had the email confirming my change of handicap down to 11.0 from 11.8

Congrats Doc!!! 1 more to go and single digits. :clapp:

l

One of the reasons I’ll keep my Ping Eye2+ set - the wedges, legal or not, are awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back