Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 thing I did confirm on Sunday that has sort of been niggling at me, but now I'm fairly certain - my Ping Lob wedge was/is better out of the bunkers than the CBX.

That Eye2 sole is different gravy in the sand, not a shocker as they are still making it. I had been on a frankly ridiculous "out first time" run for a player of my meagre talents, including some massive links revetted faces, but since going to the CBXs, not so much.

CBXs are great everywhere else, and flow into the irons very well, but bunkers? All Ping, all the time. :good:

If they work for you, then they are right for you. I’m still gaming my G20 U wedge and S wedge, because they work for me and I have already paid for them. Lol.

Last round before heading to the beach in the Keys and visiting family in Florida. 50/48 with 3 pars. ready to chuck the 3 wood, so stopped using it. It was better to hit short and straight than chunk it. Finished 18 using only one ball, a rarity. Just hit it too many times.

47 for my league nine, but that was mainly because I could not for the life of me hit my tee shots straight (driver, 5W, didn't matter). Finally figured out I was doing something lazy/wonky with my hands & the club was staying way open through impact.

A slight change on the last 3 holes & I went par, birdie, par. The birdie was especially nice because it was on the #1 handicap hole. I crushed a driver dead straight, then hit 8 iron from 130 to leave me with a 20 foot putt, which I drained. Too bad we couldn't play 18 - I felt like I was just getting warmed up

So I had my first of 4 lessons tonight, I really like the instructor. He seems to be able to communicate what he wants me to do better than the last guy. Anyway, after watching me hit for a bit he tells me exactly what I am doing wrong. I can't even begin to describe it, but my swing was completely jacked. We went inside to do some drills and some half swings. Back out to the range and I was seeing immediate results. I was only hitting my 7 iron, but hitting it better than I ever have. Almost ever shot was on the sweet spot and right where I was aiming. I also gained a quit a bit of distance. My normal 150 yard club would be my 7 iron, but I was carrying the ball 150. So If I keep this up, I may need to re-evaluate my distances.

Anyway, it felt really good to be able to hit my irons that well. I'll have to keep practicing and try to get another session with him next week. Then maybe hit the course if I have time.

If they work for you, then they are right for you. I’m still gaming my G20 U wedge and S wedge, because they work for me and I have already paid for them. Lol.

Well, I already know what I'm getting for Birthday and Christmas this year. I got to hit the new Glide 3.0 wedges over the range last night (they're a Ping fitting range). I'll admit my curiosity was piqued about the new ones after the great results with my relatively new-ish (but still second hand) Gorge Eye2 in the sand.

The 3.0's all swung nicely, if you know what I mean, not overly head heavy or light, shafts weren't overly stiff like some I've seen and tried. They all felt pretty nice, that insert in the back does do something, they felt/sounded softer and springier (even with Srixon Range Balls) than the CBX in general. Even toe shots didn't feel too harsh and seemed to go roughly the distance. The grooves on all I tried were shedding the balls quite nicely on crisp strikes.

The "normal" Standard Sole was nice, I'd say a touch more forgiving than a normal bladed edge, the Wide Sole felt most like hitting my CBX wedges off the mat with the bounce/sound etc, didn't try the Thin Sole as that's not my preference....but then there's the Eye2.

:in-love:

I know it's looks aren't for everyone, but it's basically exactly what I've been waiting for since I started playing again - Eye2 shaping and sole which I always loved in my old second hand ones, but now with brand new grooves. Expect some new metal in the bag as soon as I'm back home from #b100.

#OGHiToe

Shot a 97 yesterday with 10-3 putts! If I could just eliminate the 2 or 3 blowup holes and cut down on the 3 jacks I could be halfway decent.

So I had my first of 4 lessons tonight, I really like the instructor. He seems to be able to communicate what he wants me to do better than the last guy. Anyway, after watching me hit for a bit he tells me exactly what I am doing wrong. I can't even begin to describe it, but my swing was completely jacked. We went inside to do some drills and some half swings. Back out to the range and I was seeing immediate results. I was only hitting my 7 iron, but hitting it better than I ever have. Almost ever shot was on the sweet spot and right where I was aiming. I also gained a quit a bit of distance. My normal 150 yard club would be my 7 iron, but I was carrying the ball 150. So If I keep this up, I may need to re-evaluate my distances.

Anyway, it felt really good to be able to hit my irons that well. I'll have to keep practicing and try to get another session with him next week. Then maybe hit the course if I have time.

That is awesome to hear!!!!! It will make golf more fun.

Last round before heading to the beach in the Keys and visiting family in Florida. 50/48 with 3 pars. ready to chuck the 3 wood, so stopped using it. It was better to hit short and straight than chunk it. Finished 18 using only one ball, a rarity. Just hit it too many times.

Sub-century is sub century!!

47 for my league nine, but that was mainly because I could not for the life of me hit my tee shots straight (driver, 5W, didn't matter). Finally figured out I was doing something lazy/wonky with my hands & the club was staying way open through impact.

A slight change on the last 3 holes & I went par, birdie, par. The birdie was especially nice because it was on the #1 handicap hole. I crushed a driver dead straight, then hit 8 iron from 130 to leave me with a 20 foot putt, which I drained. Too bad we couldn't play 18 - I felt like I was just getting warmed up

Nice!! I think it's indicative of your progress that you can self-diagnose, and get the ship righted. I've often played the "What the hell happened there?" shot, and gone into full panic swing rebuild right there. It rarely turns out well.

So, what did you do to un-jack it?

Well, I already know what I'm getting for Birthday and Christmas this year. I got to hit the new Glide 3.0 wedges over the range last night (they're a Ping fitting range). I'll admit my curiosity was piqued about the new ones after the great results with my relatively new-ish (but still second hand) Gorge Eye2 in the sand.

The 3.0's all swung nicely, if you know what I mean, not overly head heavy or light, shafts weren't overly stiff like some I've seen and tried. They all felt pretty nice, that insert in the back does do something, they felt/sounded softer and springier (even with Srixon Range Balls) than the CBX in general. Even toe shots didn't feel too harsh and seemed to go roughly the distance. The grooves on all I tried were shedding the balls quite nicely on crisp strikes.

The "normal" Standard Sole was nice, I'd say a touch more forgiving than a normal bladed edge, the Wide Sole felt most like hitting my CBX wedges off the mat with the bounce/sound etc, didn't try the Thin Sole as that's not my preference....but then there's the Eye2.

:in-love:

I know it's looks aren't for everyone, but it's basically exactly what I've been waiting for since I started playing again - Eye2 shaping and sole which I always loved in my old second hand ones, but now with brand new grooves. Expect some new metal in the bag as soon as I'm back home from #b100.

#OGHiToe

So the Glide 3.0 is the same width as the Eye2? Ya kind of lost me here. I had a set of the Glide 1.0s that I should never have sold.

Shot a 97 yesterday with 10-3 putts! If I could just eliminate the 2 or 3 blowup holes and cut down on the 3 jacks I could be halfway decent.

Hamses I declares the lag putt to be good. Embrace it.

Yeah, that's a quick 10 strokes dropped off right there.

As a pure aside, I find I am falling deeply in love with my F8 driver with the Even Flow Blue. Just feels so right.

So the Glide 3.0 is the same width as the Eye2? Ya kind of lost me here. I had a set of the Glide 1.0s that I should never have sold.

In the Glide 3.0 release (4 sole models) there is a specific Eye2 version that is shaped exactly like the classic Eye2, but with 2019 grooves.

And I loves me some Eye2, per posts passim, so that is a bit of me right there.

In the Glide 3.0 release (4 sole models) there is a specific Eye2 version that is shaped exactly like the classic Eye2, but with 2019 grooves. And I loves me some Eye2, per posts passim.

I'll assume the CBXs are going on sale somewhere? You going 3 wedges or four?

I'll assume the CBXs are going on sale somewhere? You going 3 wedges or four?

The CBXs will go to a good home :good:

4 "wedges" in total, probably only 2 Pings - the CBX iron set P & D wedges (44° + 50°) are great for full shots longer bump and runs, knock downs etc. (ie 130 down to about 50 yards) but if I'm honest, I'm finding the CBX wedges a little clumsy for touch (40 and under or when I have to go over something) and sand shots compared to my old Eye2's. The moment I set up with the new ones, they felt just like the old ones, and confidence I didn't know I was missing was suddenly there.

I mean, I know it's mental (in so many ways) but as you have so rightly said on many occasions, in wise and sage edicts "if it works, it works".

And booze.

As a pure aside, I find I am falling deeply in love with my F8 driver with the Even Flow Blue. Just feels so right.

This is pleasing. :good:

The CBXs will go to a good home :good:

4 "wedges" in total, probably only 2 Pings - the CBX iron set P & D wedges (44° + 50°) are great for full shots longer bump and runs, knock downs etc. (ie 130 down to about 50 yards) but if I'm honest, I'm finding the CBX wedges a little clumsy for touch (40 and under or when I have to go over something) and sand shots compared to my old Eye2's. The moment I set up with the new ones, they felt just like the old ones, and confidence I didn't know I was missing was suddenly there.

I mean, I know it's mental (in so many ways) but as you have so rightly said on many occasions, in wise and sage edicts "if it works, it works".

And booze.

Excellent.

I found the F8 gap wedge just uncomfortable. Not in any definable way, just, not there. No aspersions on the club itself. After I swapped the G20 S & U back in, I gained a good bit of comfort back for those 60 and in shots. (I'll switch between the S and U dependent on the shot.) From the PW and up, I like the F8s quite a bit. I think they will really round into form when I can put a bit more "Ooomph" in the impact. On the occasional flush-like shot, the irons are all I could want.

Did I mention I got happily plastered Saturday on red wine? Buddy brought a magnum and another bottle of quality grape, and I was excessively pleased at the lack of hangover in the morning.

This is pleasing. :good:

I'm reeeeaaaallllyyyyy digging the feeling of knowing I'm more than likely going to put a good shot down the fairway. I'm also really liking the feeling of looking forward to being able to really get some distance out of this in the future. I rarely have felt this comfy with a driver, and I've only been using it a few months. Once I get it good and familiar, I'm going to be gold. Consistent 200+, here I come!!

Jonesing to get back out on the course. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to the course on Sunday.

I did however procure a couple pre-owned clubs from Callaway to update my set. Callaway Rogue 3w and a pair of Mack Daddy 4 Chrome wedges in 52 and 60 degree variations to add to my 56 wedge that I recently bought from someone and really liked when I was last out at the range.

Maybe this weekend. :golf:

So, what did you do to un-jack it?

Focusing on an inside/out swing path, especially keying on the takeaway. At first I was thinking that this was going to take some time to get used to, it felt so weird. But he wasn't actually having me hit balls at this point. Just drills so I could understand what it looked like in slow motion. Then he had me take some half swings in the hitting bay. I hit some good and some bad, but was getting the general idea. So we went back out to the range and instantly started puring shots with a full swing. It was an awesome feeling.

Jonesing to get back out on the course. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to the course on Sunday.

I did however procure a couple pre-owned clubs from Callaway to update my set. Callaway Rogue 3w and a pair of Mack Daddy 4 Chrome wedges in 52 and 60 degree variations to add to my 56 wedge that I recently bought from someone and really liked when I was last out at the range.

Maybe this weekend. :golf:

New-to-you = always good

Nice!! I think it's indicative of your progress that you can self-diagnose, and get the ship righted. I've often played the "What the hell happened there?" shot, and gone into full panic swing rebuild right there. It rarely turns out well.

This is a skill that is slowwwwly developing. The other good thing about figuring it out is that my drives are both straighter and longer - the last one measured 264 yards going uphill! I never expected to be hitting longer as I got older lol!

#lessons+practice=distance

I’m way too out of shape to walk AND play golf, unless it’s a short par 3 course. The scale doesn’t lie! So rather than go to the range as I wanted to I decided to torture myself on the stairs today.

0d01e51e54c730b1098337d5df53d396.jpg

5b5b2d852695e7043c03842c3c6ac5cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d9a0d866a6890879e9570596a8b5f0a1.jpg

0533a6203251a40ec76bc61d078408cd.jpg

Someone here suggested a kraken driver cover, so I gave it the ol college try. Didn’t quite work out alas, but the kraken is cracking! The sleeve was supposed to be the sea with a gradient so the kraken rising from the depths...

Back to the drawing board

d9a0d866a6890879e9570596a8b5f0a1.jpg

0533a6203251a40ec76bc61d078408cd.jpg

Someone here suggested a kraken driver cover, so I gave it the ol college try. Didn’t quite work out alas, but the kraken is cracking! The sleeve was supposed to be the sea with a gradient so the kraken rising from the depths...

Back to the drawing board

Well, get kraken! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back