Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reeeeaaaallllyyyyy digging the feeling of knowing I'm more than likely going to put a good shot down the fairway. I'm also really liking the feeling of looking forward to being able to really get some distance out of this in the future. I rarely have felt this comfy with a driver, and I've only been using it a few months. Once I get it good and familiar, I'm going to be gold. Consistent 200+, here I come!!

That's awesome! I know driver has been your nemesis.

What weight/flex is your Even Flow Blue? I bought the Tensi CK Blue 50 R and it has worked fairly well, but I might change it later.

Dave

I’m way too out of shape to walk AND play golf, unless it’s a short par 3 course. The scale doesn’t lie! So rather than go to the range as I wanted to I decided to torture myself on the stairs today.

0d01e51e54c730b1098337d5df53d396.jpg

5b5b2d852695e7043c03842c3c6ac5cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear God, no.

Further update to my handicap as the scores from our club captain away day have been processed

I am now down to 10.6 - getting closer to my goal of hitting single figures :D

This is a skill that is slowwwwly developing. The other good thing about figuring it out is that my drives are both straighter and longer - the last one measured 264 yards going uphill! I never expected to be hitting longer as I got older lol!

#lessons+practice=distance

#booze + ambivalence = Hamfist

That's awesome! I know driver has been your nemesis.

What weight/flex is your Even Flow Blue? I bought the Tensi CK Blue 50 R and it has worked fairly well, but I might change it later.

Dave

5.5 R 65g, if I remember correctly. I'll check when I get home from lunch.

Good morning/afternoon everyone!!! Storms are done for now, but more expected later today.

Shot a 92 yesterday after shooting and 82 the last time out. Not. Happy. But, I also know I'm in the B100 thread so I won't do a ton of sulking.

Looks like a bunch of you are making some damned solid progress. And, Hammy? In love with his driver? Daaaaaammmnnn!

Good looks, ladies and gentlemen. Keep grinding!

I'm a stat guy. I have a home made spreadsheet and log some basic stats after each round. I think I may have enough information now to potentially be helpful for someone else. I've played 198 holes this year with my primary iron set.

I'm a somewhat distance challenged bogey golfer who drives it 210 on a better than average strike and hits a 34* 7 iron 130 yards (distances are GPS verified). I primarily play a 2,900 yard par 36 course and a local executive course that plays par 32 for me. My average score per par 36 9 holes is 45.77.

Approach shot stats are as follows:

Fairway woods: 0 for 2 GIR, 1 for 2 holes with putt to save par (PSP), average score +1.00/hole over par
Hybrids: 7 for 30 GIR, 23 for 30 PSP, average score +1.19/hole over par
Replaced clubs (3i, 4i, 5i): 3 for 16 GIR, 8 for 16 PSP, average score +1.81/hole over par
6-7 iron: 17 for 43 GIR, 36 for 43 PSP, average score +1.00/hole over par
8 iron-PW: 19 for 52 GIR, 42 for 52 PSP, average score +0.96/hole over par
Vokeys: 11 for 23 GIR, 20 for 23 PSP, average score +0.48/hole over par
No chance approaches: 0 for 32 GIR, 14 for 32 PSP, average score +1.50/hole over par

So, how can I use this information?

a) I gave up on the fairway wood experiment early, likely to my benefit as larger sample size would be ugly.
b) Clearly I can't hit a 3, 4, or 5 iron to save my life. I only end up with a putt to save par 50% of the time and average near a double bogey (+1.81). This means I'm severely misstriking them often.
b) Hybrids on the other hand are my friend. I have a putt to save par over 76% of the time and score +1.19. I should bag as many hybrids as I can.
c) 6-7 iron versus 8-PW initially doesn't appear to make much difference. When I look closer though I can see that I don't hit the 6 iron well (+1.31) but do hit my 7 iron well (+0.87). I also hit my 8 iron well (+0.89) as I use it often, am ok with 9 iron (+1.00) and tend to struggle with PW (+1.33) as I rarely hit it. Consequently, I'll pull the 6 iron out of the bag for a more forgiving one I have around me and I'll practice 9 iron/PW on the range more often.
d) I am competent with the Vokeys. I have nearly 48% GIR and score +0.48. If I hit it far enough to have these in hand more often I would score a lot better.
e) No chance approaches are killing my golf game. These could come from poor drives that leave too far approaches, OB drives, approaches from behind trees, etc... I may be a candidate to play shorter tees on some holes. The 370+ par 4s are a challenge when I don't hit good drives.

I generally know how to construct the bag given the data and have a better idea what to practice.

Understanding your tendencies can help your game.

Dave

Shot a 92 yesterday after shooting and 82 the last time out. Not. Happy. But, I also know I'm in the B100 thread so I won't do a ton of sulking.

Looks like a bunch of you are making some damned solid progress. And, Hammy? In love with his driver? Daaaaaammmnnn!

Good looks, ladies and gentlemen. Keep grinding!

Black is white. Up is down. We're through the looking glass.

I'm a stat guy. I have a home made spreadsheet and log some basic stats after each round. I think I may have enough information now to potentially be helpful for someone else. I've played 198 holes this year with my primary iron set.

I'm a somewhat distance challenged bogey golfer who drives it 210 on a better than average strike and hits a 34* 7 iron 130 yards (distances are GPS verified). I primarily play a 2,900 yard par 36 course and a local executive course that plays par 32 for me. My average score per par 36 9 holes is 45.77.

Approach shot stats are as follows:

Fairway woods: 0 for 2 GIR, 1 for 2 holes with putt to save par (PSP), average score +1.00/hole over par
Hybrids: 7 for 30 GIR, 23 for 30 PSP, average score +1.19/hole over par
Replaced clubs (3i, 4i, 5i): 3 for 16 GIR, 8 for 16 PSP, average score +1.81/hole over par
6-7 iron: 17 for 43 GIR, 36 for 43 PSP, average score +1.00/hole over par
8 iron-PW: 19 for 52 GIR, 42 for 52 PSP, average score +0.96/hole over par
Vokeys: 11 for 23 GIR, 20 for 23 PSP, average score +0.48/hole over par
No chance approaches: 0 for 32 GIR, 14 for 32 PSP, average score +1.50/hole over par

So, how can I use this information?

a) I gave up on the fairway wood experiment early, likely to my benefit as larger sample size would be ugly.
b) Clearly I can't hit a 3, 4, or 5 iron to save my life. I only end up with a putt to save par 50% of the time and average near a double bogey (+1.81). This means I'm severely misstriking them often.
b) Hybrids on the other hand are my friend. I have a putt to save par over 76% of the time and score +1.19. I should bag as many hybrids as I can.
c) 6-7 iron versus 8-PW initially doesn't appear to make much difference. When I look closer though I can see that I don't hit the 6 iron well (+1.31) but do hit my 7 iron well (+0.87). I also hit my 8 iron well (+0.89) as I use it often, am ok with 9 iron (+1.00) and tend to struggle with PW (+1.33) as I rarely hit it. Consequently, I'll pull the 6 iron out of the bag for a more forgiving one I have around me and I'll practice 9 iron/PW on the range more often.
d) I am competent with the Vokeys. I have nearly 48% GIR and score +0.48. If I hit it far enough to have these in hand more often I would score a lot better.
e) No chance approaches are killing my golf game. These could come from poor drives that leave too far approaches, OB drives, approaches from behind trees, etc... I may be a candidate to play shorter tees on some holes. The 370+ par 4s are a challenge when I don't hit good drives.

I generally know how to construct the bag given the data and have a better idea what to practice.

Understanding your tendencies can help your game.

Dave

Dave, that is all very good information. Now you know how to gently adjust your game for progress. Distance-wise, I'm right there with you. What distances are you hitting your hybrids?

Hey B100 peeps, rainy day here so no golf.

Quick update: I was discharged from hospital yesterday - which is outstanding news, given everything we went through. Inflammation, lack of strength/stability getting much better. I'm getting more ambulatory and healthier.

As for the infection, I'm healthy enough to come home. Have 39 days of IV antibiotic infusions, every eight hours. Still not out of the prothesis revision and disinfection woods yet. Time, blood work and another MRI will tell.

After the 39 days, it's likely I will have an oral antibiotic for the rest of my life. But I'M ALIVE. I've cheated the Reaper a third time.

Thank Arnie for Golf Channel. It, WGT and my B100 clan is as close as I will get to golf for a few months!

#livevicarouslyandhealthier

Quick update: I was discharged from hospital yesterday - which is outstanding news, given everything we went through. Inflammation, lack of strength/stability getting much better. I'm getting more ambulatory and healthier.

As for the infection, I'm healthy enough to come home. Have 39 days of IV antibiotic infusions, every eight hours. Still not out of the prothesis revision and disinfection woods yet. Time, blood work and another MRI will tell.

After the 39 days, it's likely I will have an oral antibiotic for the rest of my life. But I'M ALIVE. I've cheated the Reaper a third time.

Thank Arnie for Golf Channel. It, WGT and my B100 clan is as close as I will get to golf for a few months!

That is great news!!!!

Good to hear Golf Dawg!

Haven't played in 3 months. Heading out today. Heat index should be well over 105 this afternoon in DFW. If my clubs don't melt maybe I can have some fun!

Haven't played in 3 months. Heading out today. Heat index should be well over 105 this afternoon in DFW. If my clubs don't melt maybe I can have some fun!

LOL. Thinking if I even want to go out in the heat this weekend. Just got a text from a buddy for a 1:16pm tee time on Saturday.

#golfvoyeur

Dave, that is all very good information. Now you know how to gently adjust your game for progress. Distance-wise, I'm right there with you. What distances are you hitting your hybrids?

Loft - Total Distance
19* - 180
22* - 170
25* - 160
28* - 150

The best thing about the hybrids are that they launch easy and mostly want to go straight.

Dave

Played back 9 at my home course tonight. Shot a 52. Bright spot for me was chipping and bunker play. Tee shots were good on 6 of 9 holes. Hitting my hybrids fairly well and putting was OK. Iron played sucked. Triple bogies on a par 3 and par 5 were my worst holes. With the 52 today and the 46 I shot on Sunday I posted a 98 for an under 100 score posting for the 2nd time this season. Lessons, range work and patience are paying off.

Playing 18 tomorrow so hoping to be under 100 again.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

some good and some not so good. I made a par on a Par 3 that always gets me, and a bogey and a couple of double bogeys. Then absolutely blew up on the par 5 that always eats my lunch. and there's a ten on the scorecard.

by the time I made the turn I was feeling absolutely zapped. drained. no energy at all. heat index was 111 and I was d-o-n-e. I had some major cardiac issues in May 2018 and decided that I was in the very wrong place at a very wrong time. Texas heat is not to be messed with. Gave up after 9 and came home. Hit the showers and am drinking water like a fish trying to get rehydrated. ER doc buddy says that was not a great idea for someone like me today... prolly won't repeat this afternoon's efforts for a while. #dumb

the bright spot today was those one length irons. they are the bomb. added one length hybrids to the mix and they are incredible too. when I swing right they just launch the ball straight and true. it's incredible. I'm sold on one length. me and Bryson are buddies now!

I did say to my playing buddy "It'll cool off, won't it?" and he said "Yes, it will cool off. In December." That's Texas! LOL

I went to the range tonight. I've been eager to go hit some balls after the great lesson I had Monday. Well, it didn't go so well. I just couldn't get that feeling back I had Monday. Nothing felt right. Just a horrible session. I have another lesson next Wednesday so hopefully I can get back on track.

I went to the range tonight. I've been eager to go hit some balls after the great lesson I had Monday. Well, it didn't go so well. I just couldn't get that feeling back I had Monday. Nothing felt right. Just a horrible session. I have another lesson next Wednesday so hopefully I can get back on track.
I feel you. My last range session ended up me losing 7I shot. Nothing but shank and toe hits, unbelievable slices. 9 iron worked, 5 iron worked, hybrids worked. Heck, even driver worked. But not 7 iron which is my most trusty iron. Shank-a-doodle-dandee.

Be patient with it, it will come around. I was the same way after my driver lesson. You have to give your brain and body time to adjust to the new but it will work for you.

Be patient with it, it will come around. I was the same way after my driver lesson. You have to give your brain and body time to adjust to the new but it will work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back