Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
No golf for me this weekend as we have friends visiting, but the weather forecast isn't looking good and the league match tomorrow might be cancelled as the course is closed today with the next inspection early tomorrow morning

Loft - Total Distance
19* - 180
22* - 170
25* - 160
28* - 150

The best thing about the hybrids are that they launch easy and mostly want to go straight.

Dave

I'm probably getting 10-12 yards less per club, but that's not a surprise with the One Length shafts. I'm still seeing a lower-that-normal ball flight, but it'll get there with time.

Loft - Total Distance
19* - 180
22* - 170
25* - 160
28* - 150

The best thing about the hybrids are that they launch easy and mostly want to go straight.

Dave

I loves me some hybrid :good:

I could easily live with an all-hybrid top end of the bag. When I'm over for #b100, and Hammy and I are casting about for a borrowed set for me, I'll be happy (probably happier in fact) with hybrids rather than woods up top.

some good and some not so good. I made a par on a Par 3 that always gets me, and a bogey and a couple of double bogeys. Then absolutely blew up on the par 5 that always eats my lunch. and there's a ten on the scorecard.

by the time I made the turn I was feeling absolutely zapped. drained. no energy at all. heat index was 111 and I was d-o-n-e. I had some major cardiac issues in May 2018 and decided that I was in the very wrong place at a very wrong time. Texas heat is not to be messed with. Gave up after 9 and came home. Hit the showers and am drinking water like a fish trying to get rehydrated. ER doc buddy says that was not a great idea for someone like me today... prolly won't repeat this afternoon's efforts for a while. #dumb

the bright spot today was those one length irons. they are the bomb. added one length hybrids to the mix and they are incredible too. when I swing right they just launch the ball straight and true. it's incredible. I'm sold on one length. me and Bryson are buddies now!

I did say to my playing buddy "It'll cool off, won't it?" and he said "Yes, it will cool off. In December." That's Texas! LOL

Smart move on the early exit. Always put yourself before the game. I'm still feeling the pull of my Ping's, but, DG told me flat-out that I am better with the OLs, so that's where I'm staying. I totally agree, (as it is with pretty much any club) a good swing produces a good shot with these.

I went to the range tonight. I've been eager to go hit some balls after the great lesson I had Monday. Well, it didn't go so well. I just couldn't get that feeling back I had Monday. Nothing felt right. Just a horrible session. I have another lesson next Wednesday so hopefully I can get back on track.

It's just a bad session. Fuggedaboutdit.

I feel you. My last range session ended up me losing 7I shot. Nothing but shank and toe hits, unbelievable slices. 9 iron worked, 5 iron worked, hybrids worked. Heck, even driver worked. But not 7 iron which is my most trusty iron. Shank-a-doodle-dandee.

Obviously the club is defective.

So, I've been watching GolfSidekick, and adopting the Way of the Playa as my primary strategizin' approach, which is working well. Trouble is usually found with mis-hits going awry. (as per always, lol)

So, now that I'm getting solid with that mindset/approach, and also have adopted his chipping technique, which is working fairly well, I go back to the swing, and all it's pieces/parts.

Lately, I've been watching a lot of Mike Malaska videos, and I really like the way he describes things, and the theories he has about swing mechanics. Something he said in a vid I watched last night struck me. He was talking about hand position at impact and how he used to practice in slow motion, just getting his hands back to where they were at address.

I think I'm going to work on this a bit. It's a really simple practice idea, and, if anything, I need me some simple.

I went to the range tonight. I've been eager to go hit some balls after the great lesson I had Monday. Well, it didn't go so well. I just couldn't get that feeling back I had Monday. Nothing felt right. Just a horrible session. I have another lesson next Wednesday so hopefully I can get back on track.

FWIW, My new mantra "ONWARD & UPWARD!"

So, I've been watching GolfSidekick, and adopting the Way of the Playa as my primary strategizin' approach, which is working well. Trouble is usually found with mis-hits going awry. (as per always, lol)

So, now that I'm getting solid with that mindset/approach, and also have adopted his chipping technique, which is working fairly well, I go back to the swing, and all it's pieces/parts.

Lately, I've been watching a lot of Mike Malaska videos, and I really like the way he describes things, and the theories he has about swing mechanics. Something he said in a vid I watched last night struck me. He was talking about hand position at impact and how he used to practice in slow motion, just getting his hands back to where they were at address.

I think I'm going to work on this a bit. It's a really simple practice idea, and, if anything, I need me some simple.
I like both Matt's and Mike's approach. Simple, to the point, no gimmicks. Just common sense.

I loves me some hybrid :good:

I could easily live with an all-hybrid top end of the bag. When I'm over for #b100, and Hammy and I are casting about for a borrowed set for me, I'll be happy (probably happier in fact) with hybrids rather than woods up top.

I’ve removed my 3W for a 3H and 4H. I just make better contact with them. The 3H, 4H & 5 Mizuno 919 fli hi gap might not shake out clean at the end, but they were cleaning up that range of my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve removed my 3W for a 3H and 4H. I just make better contact with them. The 3H, 4H & 5 Mizuno 919 fli hi gap might not shake out clean at the end, but they were cleaning up that range of my game.

I have 3w and 5w woods and 4h and 5h hybrids. Thinking about getting 3h and getting rid of woods. I just make so much more good contacts and shots with hybrids. I know I could master the woods with extensive practice but I use them so rarely on course that not sure if it pays back.

Driver, 3w tee only
2 (maybe), 3-6 ironwood
7i-sw irons

I had to go with the TE ironwoods because I just cannot hit hybrids. The 2iw was an impulse buy that will probably get benched.

Driver, 3w tee only
2 (maybe), 3-6 ironwood
7i-sw irons

I had to go with the TE ironwoods because I just cannot hit hybrids. The 2iw was an impulse buy that will probably get benched.

So, those are hybrids that look more like irons? Just peeked at them online.

So, those are hybrids that look more like irons? Just peeked at them online.

Yes. They are “true” hybrids, I guess. they have an iron face but with “junk in the trunk”. Way easier for me to hit than hybrids. But I only want them at the upper end of the bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 4/7/9 woods, and a 6 hybrid. My first iron is a 7.

My next set of irons will be 7-pw.

Next round is scheduled in 6 hours. I'm leaving woods home, packing D, 4h, 5h, 6-aw, 56* and putter. If driver behaves, that will be used for most tee shots. Hybrids will be my main approach clubs if distance permits. Irons I plan to use to get in the green in regulation or gir+1. Focus is to try hit greens from 100yd and over. If not then wedge it. This forces me to think and plan my shots. I will give myself permission to 3-putt, even though I try to avoid it. 4-putts are forbidden :)

Good morning/afternoon everyone. Hope everyone can get out and play, I will be heading to course after work for some practice.

Invited to play today this afternoon, but with 102 forecasted with heat index at 110, is a no for me. I will likely get a tee time tomorrow morning before it gets too hot. :golf:

I have 3w and 5w woods and 4h and 5h hybrids. Thinking about getting 3h and getting rid of woods. I just make so much more good contacts and shots with hybrids. I know I could master the woods with extensive practice but I use them so rarely on course that not sure if it pays back.

My longest club is 19* hybrid. It goes similar distance to a fairway, but is more consistent for me.

Dave

Good morning/afternoon everyone. Hope everyone can get out and play, I will be heading to course after work for some practice.

#liveoverpar

Couple hours until tee time. Playing with my brother at a nice rolling hills and dales type of course.

My next set of irons will be 7-pw.

With the stronger lofts, my 7 used to be a 6. Some 5-irons are 21º/21.5º...that is an old 3-iron loft, and I couldn't hit a 3-iron then, and I can't hit a "3-iron" now.

With the stronger lofts, my 7 used to be a 6. Some 5-irons are 21º/21.5º...that is an old 3-iron loft, and I couldn't hit a 3-iron then, and I can't hit a "3-iron" now.

My current set 5 iron is 23*. I just got back in the game a couple of years ago and didn’t know anything about the jacked lofts when I bought these. Now I try to match up lofts and ignore the number.

Went out for 9 today and shot a 44/+8. Couldn’t hit driver or my 4w worth a damn. They cost me around 5 shots On the plus side everything else was above average to very good. One of these days it’ll all come together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back