Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current set 5 iron is 23*. I just got back in the game a couple of years ago and didn’t know anything about the jacked lofts when I bought these. Now I try to match up lofts and ignore the number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I do. For the most part a golfer needs some serious club head speed to launch a 21º lofted club.

Yesterday shot 55/50 for a 105. Tough day. Chipping, bunker shots and putting were the bright spots. Iron shots sucked.

Much better today with a 46 & 49 for a 95. My best 18 hole score to date. 2 birdies today. Chipping, bunker shots and putting were terrific today. Only two 3 putts today. Iron shots were better but still need work. It's a good feeling to see progress and to get more than 1 birdie in a round.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I walked 9 on my local par 3 course. I got to hit the new TE HL4 ironwood 29* a couple of times. It will probably replace my 30* 7 iron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

44+48=92, 3 blobs, played alright, again the manufactured shots were very satisfying, decent putting, all round OK. Good fun, nice courses - we played a mixture of front & back 9's today, probably the best combined 18 out of the 4 9's available. Very windy, which made the home holes tricky as they were right into the teeth of it. Last hole is an uphill 535 yarder, was playing like a par 6 today.

So. Played a course that I like with my brother yesterday. One of my best, if not the best 13 holes in a round I’ve played. Shot a “99”. (I use quotes because I’m a cheater.)
41 of those strokes came on five holes.
Can you feel the rage?

New format is freaking me out.

thommo.sx;n8873730 said:
New Format is New. :good:

Don’t like anything new. Change frightens and confuses me. I’m just a simple unthawed internet golfer.

So, reading the Little Red Book by Penick, and noted something he said about practicing your chipping/putting.

He tells youths/beginners to only use one ball when practicing the short game. His philosophy was it teaches you to finish the hole, instead of thinking about just hitting another chip, since this isn’t the way the game actually works. Tried it today, and will continue for the next few months with this approach. May work, may not.

Got out for 27 today, just a shade over 5 hours. Trying to get as many holes in before Labor Day and it get busy at work again.

Played another 9 holes today and shot another 39, with two pars, and one 7 stroke on a par 4. My left hand low, armlock, with the claw putting is starting to come around for me. Mostly 2 putts which is refreshing. Trying to chip off a cement like fairway is a little discouraging.

47/41-88 today. Started out rough with 2 doubles. Realized my posture was hunchback-like while putting for bogey on 3. Made a point to stand taller/closer with every club and started hitting it really well. Only club that gave me trouble was my 26* hybrid (pull-hooks). I think that I was playing it too far forward

Went out for a 10am tee time and had the course wide open for awhile, my drives were really good today, my new to me Rogue 3w also performed really well. Had several 270+ fairway drives and couple 230+ shots with the 3w. Chipping and putting were a complete and absolute dumpster fire today.

50/53 today.

Front nine started out with a quad and a pair of triples, but I finished it with 3 pars. Played the back 9 with a father son, they were really good. Young kid is about to be on his varsity golf team, drives were straight as an arrow and perfectly placed. Lost several balls on the back which shows on my scores.

vdubtx;n8874028 said:
Went out for a 10am tee time and had the course wide open for awhile, my drives were really good today, my new to me Rogue 3w also performed really well. Had several 270+ fairway drives and couple 230+ shots with the 3w. Chipping and putting were a complete and absolute dumpster fire today.

50/53 today.

Front nine started out with a quad and a pair of triples, but I finished it with 3 pars. Played the back 9 with a father son, they were really good. Young kid is about to be on his varsity golf team, drives were straight as an arrow and perfectly placed. Lost several balls on the back which shows on my scores.

vdub,

With that much distance if you're wild with the driver you could probably tee off with a 5 wood or hybrid and still be ahead of the game if you're playing a 6,000 yard course.

Dave

I was able to get out 3 times Thursday, Friday, and Saturday all at the local executive course.

Thursday shot 39/par 31. Played well, had 4 pars on 2/9 GIR and 2 putts to save par. I ended with a triple! Not a good ending...

Friday I changed irons back to the G15s 6i-SW for more consistency. I worked on short game and then had a range session, Finally, I played 4 holes and shot 16/par 14. The highlight of the round was the 4th hole where I had a 235 yd bomb drive (LOL) and hit my 6 iron about 15 feet past the pin. I made the putt for birdie, what a great way to close.

Saturday I played with my wife and shot 36/par 31. I felt like I was throwing darts on approaches hitting 6/9 GIRs. So, how in the hell do you shoot +5 on 9 holes when hitting 66% of greens? I gave away a shot on the 1st with a bunker shot that went over the green. The other missed greens were vanilla chips and 2-putt bogeys. I 3-putted 2 of the GIRs. But, 4 pars is pretty good!

I'm going to leave the G15s in the bag until further notice. I had them in the bag earlier this year and pulled them a case of god awful iron mishits short/30 degrees right. I've since fixed that issue and am ready to move on from player's irons (AP2s).

Dave

What’s up B100 I hope you had a great weekend. Got out sat for a round shot a 93 on a really though course. Played this aft with the wife and was at 69 with three holes too
Play and had to leave . Have A great week!

dthrog00;n8874080 said:
vdub,

With that much distance if you're wild with the driver you could probably tee off with a 5 wood or hybrid and still be ahead of the game if you're playing a 6,000 yard course.

Dave

What he said! If you can hit that 3w 230 yards and straighter than driver, you're set! Actually, with that length, pick whatever club you hit the straightest & try teeing off with that one for a while.

Played with my FIL again Friday, but this time we also played with my BIL (his son) and my niece - both good golfers (better than me) but ssssslllloooowwww. Glaciers move faster. I shot a 51/45 for a not-great 96, but...

I lost 6 strokes to penalty shots OB (mostly off the tee, so stroke AND distance). Also hit sideways a couple of times. I didn't get any chance to warm up (no stretching & no range balls) and it seems like it takes me 5-6 holes to get warmed up & comfortable anymore.

The good stuff: I finished par/par with 2 GIR's and 2 legitimate birdie putts that came close. Number 17 is a 170 yard par 3 with the green on a hill guarded by bunkers. Hit the Mizuno JPX919 HM 5 iron and it felt great. I looked at the face and the blue ink from my Sharpie line was exactly in the center of the face. Those center hits just feel so much better.

No. 18 I hit my best drive of the day (& probably the year so far) - lasered out to 270 yards (my all-time PB) and had only 94 yards to the pin. The weird thing is this drive was a slight fade that seemed to stay in the air forever. Most of my other longer drives tend to be draws. Sure wish I knew what I did right on this one!

Good morning everyone!! Lots of rain again last night so no golf today.

My novice mate from a couple of weeks ago went out on Saturday with one of his friends down in Kent...he's fairly new to the game and so the 50mph winds he encountered came as somewhat of a shock to the system. :D

He was talking me though it today, and I was just laughing at him. :good:

dthrog00;n8874084 said:
I was able to get out 3 times Thursday, Friday, and Saturday all at the local executive course.

Thursday shot 39/par 31. Played well, had 4 pars on 2/9 GIR and 2 putts to save par. I ended with a triple! Not a good ending...

Friday I changed irons back to the G15s 6i-SW for more consistency. I worked on short game and then had a range session, Finally, I played 4 holes and shot 16/par 14. The highlight of the round was the 4th hole where I had a 235 yd bomb drive (LOL) and hit my 6 iron about 15 feet past the pin. I made the putt for birdie, what a great way to close.

Saturday I played with my wife and shot 36/par 31. I felt like I was throwing darts on approaches hitting 6/9 GIRs. So, how in the hell do you shoot +5 on 9 holes when hitting 66% of greens? I gave away a shot on the 1st with a bunker shot that went over the green. The other missed greens were vanilla chips and 2-putt bogeys. I 3-putted 2 of the GIRs. But, 4 pars is pretty good!

I'm going to leave the G15s in the bag until further notice. I had them in the bag earlier this year and pulled them a case of god awful iron mishits short/30 degrees right. I've since fixed that issue and am ready to move on from player's irons (AP2s).

Dave

Interesting....I'm making the commitment to the Cobras, even though I still feel the pull of the G20s, a bit. Not sure if it's the clubs, or the swing has changed, but I'm not seeing the push fade I used to with the Pings as much anymore. I still leaqve them a bit right, but well within working parameters.

Doubleb21;n8874117 said:
What’s up B100 I hope you had a great weekend. Got out sat for a round shot a 93 on a really though course. Played this aft with the wife and was at 69 with three holes too
Play and had to leave . Have A great week!

Nice job!! Keep it up!!

Grins;n8874150 said:
Played with my FIL again Friday, but this time we also played with my BIL (his son) and my niece - both good golfers (better than me) but ssssslllloooowwww. Glaciers move faster. I shot a 51/45 for a not-great 96, but...

I lost 6 strokes to penalty shots OB (mostly off the tee, so stroke AND distance). Also hit sideways a couple of times. I didn't get any chance to warm up (no stretching & no range balls) and it seems like it takes me 5-6 holes to get warmed up & comfortable anymore.

The good stuff: I finished par/par with 2 GIR's and 2 legitimate birdie putts that came close. Number 17 is a 170 yard par 3 with the green on a hill guarded by bunkers. Hit the Mizuno JPX919 HM 5 iron and it felt great. I looked at the face and the blue ink from my Sharpie line was exactly in the center of the face. Those center hits just feel so much better.

No. 18 I hit my best drive of the day (& probably the year so far) - lasered out to 270 yards (my all-time PB) and had only 94 yards to the pin. The weird thing is this drive was a slight fade that seemed to stay in the air forever. Most of my other longer drives tend to be draws. Sure wish I knew what I did right on this one!

Ummm....everything? Just brainstorming here, throwing out ideas.

Great round. Fox Den?

thommo.sx;n8874287 said:
My novice mate from a couple of weeks ago went out on Saturday with one of his friends down in Kent...he's fairly new to the game and so the 50mph winds he encountered came as somewhat of a shock to the system. :D

He was talking me though it today, and I was just laughing at him. :good:

I'll assume you had previously mentioned golf is played outdoors where the wind can sometimes blow?

Hamfist;n8874452 said:
I'll assume you had previously mentioned golf is played outdoors where the wind can sometimes blow?

...and I'll add to that "in England" :good:

I think he was unprepared for playing a bunker shot, from the geometric centre of the bunker, on the flat part, straight into the wind, getting a lovely pop-up, only for the wind to throw all the sand straight into his face, and push the ball behind him into the rear of the bunker, on the downslope, and too close to the lip for a stance/swing.

Hence my laughing in his face.

His tale of woe gladdened my black heart. :sinister:

(I did send him to look at a few bunker shot YouTubes though, as he was playing it like a greenside shot, but hitting it harder and getting a little flippy as he's an ex-hockey player, and that's how they get the ball up - He was using his playing partner's 62 degree wedge, but I think he must have presenting something like 70 degrees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back