Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
thommo.sx;n8874493 said:
...and I'll add to that "in England" :good:

I think he was unprepared for playing a bunker shot, from the geometric centre of the bunker, on the flat part, straight into the wind, getting a lovely pop-up, only for the wind to throw all the sand straight into his face, and push the ball behind him into the rear of the bunker, on the downslope, and too close to the lip for a stance/swing.

Hence my laughing in his face.

His tale of woe gladdened my black heart. :sinister:

(I did send him to look at a few bunker shot YouTubes though, as he was playing it like a greenside shot, but hitting it harder and getting a little flippy as he's an ex-hockey player, and that's how they get the ball up - He was using his playing partner's 62 degree wedge, but I think he must have presenting something like 70 degrees)

Wow. I've taken the sand to the face before, but not have the wind do that to a shot.

My introduction to T100 club. Now that I have two rounds in the book, post 16 year hiatus, the pursuit of breaking 100 is on. My first round was a 93 on a short 3800 yard Par 62 course. Yesterday I stepped up to a 5900 yard par 71 course. Completely different animal. This course starts out with 4 water holes. The first tee box is on an island surrounded by a hotel resort and an uphill fairway. Intimidating to say the least. The rest of the front 9 are parkland style holes, while the back 9 are true desert holes. The starter warned us that the pins were in the toughest locations possible, due to just completing a tournament. I think that actually eliminated a lot of pressure for me. As I felt like there is a reason I may put up a high score, so just try every shot and see what happens. I made two great putts. the highlight was a 15-18 foot putt, with a 3 foot break to the right. that one putt saved a bogey.

I feel I played way better. more consistent, only 2 blow up holes. Shot a 106. managed to reduce my putts by 6 over the previous round. I'm starting to get some short game feel back and consistency with striking the ball. Understanding distance control is very much a work in progress. If I can play to that 110-110 mark, my UW is very comforting. But I struggle with a pull-Draw / hook with my longer clubs (5W and H4). I have not even swung a driver yet. I want to get consistent with my swing and 5W then I'll look to add a driver to the mix. When i hit my 5W properly, I'm getting it 225-240 yards, If that's in the fairway, then it's an amazing improvement from my previous golf life.

Enough rambling. Hope we all reach our goals. I sure had a great time on the course yesterday.

mtbloco;n8874710 said:
My introduction to T100 club. Now that I have two rounds in the book, post 16 year hiatus, the pursuit of breaking 100 is on. My first round was a 93 on a short 3800 yard Par 62 course. Yesterday I stepped up to a 5900 yard par 71 course. Completely different animal. This course starts out with 4 water holes. The first tee box is on an island surrounded by a hotel resort and an uphill fairway. Intimidating to say the least. The rest of the front 9 are parkland style holes, while the back 9 are true desert holes. The starter warned us that the pins were in the toughest locations possible, due to just completing a tournament. I think that actually eliminated a lot of pressure for me. As I felt like there is a reason I may put up a high score, so just try every shot and see what happens. I made two great putts. the highlight was a 15-18 foot putt, with a 3 foot break to the right. that one putt saved a bogey.

I feel I played way better. more consistent, only 2 blow up holes. Shot a 106. managed to reduce my putts by 6 over the previous round. I'm starting to get some short game feel back and consistency with striking the ball. Understanding distance control is very much a work in progress. If I can play to that 110-110 mark, my UW is very comforting. But I struggle with a pull-Draw / hook with my longer clubs (5W and H4). I have not even swung a driver yet. I want to get consistent with my swing and 5W then I'll look to add a driver to the mix. When i hit my 5W properly, I'm getting it 225-240 yards, If that's in the fairway, then it's an amazing improvement from my previous golf life.

Enough rambling. Hope we all reach our goals. I sure had a great time on the course yesterday.

Great job, keep it up. 106 after 16 years off is not bad at all.

Forgot to mention, off the tee yesterday, I hit a line drive right into a pine tree, and after a few seconds, two balls popped out, same color!!
So, do golf balls mate (pretty fast courtship if they do), or did my golf ball enter a space time continuum, where upon returning, it split into two equal parts?

mtbloco;n8874710 said:

Welcome to the B100 club!! THe last sentence in your post is the most important one. Have fun! You’ve got a pretty solid plan so far, so enjoy the good shots, laugh at the bad shots, and have fun!

ULEWZ;n8874813 said:
Forgot to mention, off the tee yesterday, I hit a line drive right into a pine tree, and after a few seconds, two balls popped out, same color!!
So, do golf balls mate (pretty fast courtship if they do), or did my golf ball enter a space time continuum, where upon returning, it split into two equal parts?

Definitely the timey wimey thing.

Hamfist;n8874443 said:
Interesting....I'm making the commitment to the Cobras, even though I still feel the pull of the G20s, a bit. Not sure if it's the clubs, or the swing has changed, but I'm not seeing the push fade I used to with the Pings as much anymore. I still leaqve them a bit right, but well within working parameters.

I've said this before, but I'm not really that big of a believer in iron technology. The biggest help for me is not gaming 3, 4, or 5 irons and using hybrids instead. Squirrely 4 or 5 irons can get you in a lot of trouble! I think I can score about the same with an AP2 type profile as I can G15 over the long term as long as I pick the right loft iron to start with. The G15 just seems a big easier to get launch on those squirrely strikes and stays straighter.

I've been on a quest to replace the G15s for quite a while. I've had them since 2013 and have been trying to replace them probably since 2015 because I wanted something prettier. My goal this year been to maximize the joy of golfing through good feel and good looks and it has kind of worked, but truthfully I just want to hit decent shots. Hybrids + G15 6-SW or 6-LW appears like it might be the ticket for that. Hybrids + AP2 7-PW + Vokeys can work too, but makes it a little harder.

I've had a ponder going for the HB Launchers of all things because I feel they might be the only thing on the market that honest to God could lower my scores.

Dave

Last edited:
Well the season is wrapping up, at least my work league is nearly over now minus a scramble at the end, and the days are getting shorter. What is the best moment of your season so far?

Mine by far was playing with my wife a couple weeks ago and seeing her birdie #1. It was her 2nd birdie ever. The look of absolute joy on her face. She's put a lot of work into getting better and it was nice to see a great result.

Dave

mtbloco;n8874710 said:

Welcome aboard! If you are getting that kind of distance from your 5W, then I encourage you to not even consider the driver yet. Once you get that stick dialed in, then jump up to the 3W and be Henrik Stenson.

ULEWZ;n8874813 said:

Hmmm. Every sci-fi movie states that if a ball meets itself in the past, a timequake will occur that wipes everything out. So, since I’m typing this, I’m voting for very weird coincidence.

dthrog00;n8875023 said:
I've said this before, but I'm not really that big of a believer in iron technology. The biggest help for me is not gaming 3, 4, or 5 irons and using hybrids instead. Squirrely 4 or 5 irons can get you in a lot of trouble! I think I can score about the same with an AP2 type profile as I can G15 over the long term as long as I pick the right loft iron to start with. The G15 just seems a big easier to get launch on those squirrely strikes and stays straighter.

I've been on a quest to replace the G15s for quite a while. I've had them since 2013 and have been trying to replace them probably since 2015 because I wanted something prettier. My goal this year been to maximize the joy of golfing through good feel and good looks and it has kind of worked, but truthfully I just want to hit decent shots. Hybrids + G15 6-SW or 6-LW appears like it might be the ticket for that. Hybrids + AP2 7-PW + Vokeys can work too, but makes it a little harder.

I've had a ponder going for the HB Launchers of all things because I feel they might be the only thing on the market that honest to God could lower my scores.

Dave

I can dig where you are coming from. Since getting these, I am all-in on the 3/4/5 hybrid/6-iron thru whatever wedge bandwagon.

My regular foursome has one guy playing irons from, I s**t thee not, 1996. Another one is still rocking the Callaway X-18s. The third plays Wilson Staffs from times unknown.

Moral of the story: play what makes you happy.

I’m just a gear head. That’s why I spend my hard earned dough looking for that magic set. Money I should be putting towards booze.

Good morning/afternoon everyone!!! Beautiful day out, but stuck in office at work. Will be doing league tonight.

mtbloco;n8874710 said:

Welcome to B100! Keep your arms inside the cart and enjoy the ride!

Remember, it’s PLAY golf - not work golf. Have fun, enjoy the great shots and work on the others.

#liveoverpar

Hamfist;n8875244 said:
Welcome aboard! If you are getting that kind of distance from your 5W, then I encourage you to not even consider the driver yet. Once you get that stick dialed in, then jump up to the 3W and be Henrik Stenson.

Thanks! That is my plan. I initially thought I wanted to start with a 3W on the launch meter at PGA Super. They suggested I try the 5W, and proceeded to out hit the 3W with it. Clearly the longer shafts are creating issues for me at this stage. Choking up a bit on the 5W and 4H have helped straighten out, my pull/draw/hook.

Golf Dawg;n8875384 said:
Welcome to B100! Keep your arms inside the cart and enjoy the ride!

Remember, it’s PLAY golf - not work golf. Have fun, enjoy the great shots and work on the others.

#liveoverpar

#bogeysarethenewpar ;)

mtbloco;n8875594 said:
Thanks! That is my plan. I initially thought I wanted to start with a 3W on the launch meter at PGA Super. They suggested I try the 5W, and proceeded to out hit the 3W with it. Clearly the longer shafts are creating issues for me at this stage. Choking up a bit on the 5W and 4H have helped straighten out, my pull/draw/hook.

I recently realised I'm beginning to stray back into bad practices off the tee, seduced by potential extra distance my 3w can give me (possibly swinging too hard as a result), when I don't really need it to play the length of courses I do (generally 5750-6250 yards). As I go on with this, I'm beginning to feel like 5w/2-3h loft (16-19° range) is the best sort of compromise tee club for me - launch and distance off of easier swings.

thommo.sx;n8875620 said:
I recently realised I'm beginning to stray back into bad practices off the tee, seduced by potential extra distance my 3w can give me (possibly swinging too hard as a result), when I don't really need it to play the length of courses I do (generally 5750-6250 yards). As I go on with this, I'm beginning to feel like 5w/2-3h loft (16-19° range) is the best sort of compromise tee club for me - launch and distance off of easier swings.

Give it a shot. hitting fairways should really help our game.

thommo.sx;n8875620 said:

I'm feeling the same seduction... I already decided to sell my 5W, but decided to keep it and learn it's way. Today I got success,I just need swing smoothly. But still h3ll bent on trying a 2/3h, possibly Ping G410. One such 2h would be on sale nearby... But I already have too many clubs I use rarely that I cannot justify buying a new one. So selling the 3W as it's a lot harder to hit than 5W.

Last edited:
thommo.sx;n8875620 said:

At least you can recognise that you are straying back to those bad habits and causing yourself problems, which is good that you can see it

Don't just drop the club, go back to swinging easier and you will find your distance and accuracy will possibly improve

Which probably isn't a bad thing, as according to one person, everyone in this thread shouldn't be on a 'proper' golf course based on some of the comments :alien:

jlaakso;n8875684 said:
. But still h3ll bent on trying a 2/3h, possibly Ping G410.
I have a G410 5W (17.5deg) and 4H (22deg). When I can keep from pulling them they are nice clubs.

mtbloco;n8875842 said:
I have a G410 5W (17.5deg) and 4H (22deg). When I can keep from pulling them they are nice clubs.

My regular playing partner plays G140 3h, promised to lend it next round. We shall see how it feels. I already have F8 5W, which I'm getting to know (swing smooth and easy) and F8 4h. Depending on distance 3h might be same or more (with my swing) than 5W and 2h might replace my driver... But as I said, too many clubs that overlap (variability) and which I use very seldom. 4h is my go to club from tee (if driver misbehaves) and of the deck. Decisions and ponders, should stop drooling over new equipment and have a nice round of golf...

jlaakso;n8875846 said:
Decisions and ponders, should stop drooling over new equipment and have a nice round of golf...

I need to learn this lesson too. Hopefully with my just placed pre-order for a CBX-2 54 deg, my bag is "complete" for now. So I just focus on playing. But another week of 109-114F says I'm stuck playing internet golf for a bit longer.

Well, the game is steadily going downhill. Went from an 82, to a 92, to a 95 today. Every aspect of my game was just atrocious. From tee to green and even my putter let me down today (41 putts. Ugh!) I probably could have saved myself a few strokes if I would have hit the putting green before my round (greens were rolling super fast today) but I'm not even sure it would have made much of a difference. I have completely forgotten how to hit my irons. So discouraging.

Oh well, hopefully better tomorrow before I have to go back to work on Thursday.

TheDoctor;n8875833 said:
At least you can recognise that you are straying back to those bad habits and causing yourself problems, which is good that you can see it

Don't just drop the club, go back to swinging easier and you will find your distance and accuracy will possibly improve

Which probably isn't a bad thing, as according to one person, everyone in this thread shouldn't be on a 'proper' golf course based on some of the comments :alien:

Exactly - I will drop it from the bag for a few rounds, try and groove it better on the range and then put it back in once I'm happy.

TheDoctor;n8875833 said:

Good advice doc! I know when my long club’s start to act up, it usually means that I’m trying murder the ball. My accuracy is 100 times better when I take a nice and easy swing, and I still get really good distances.

dazeedmonds;n8876274 said:
Good advice doc! I know when my long club’s start to act up, it usually means that I’m trying murder the ball. My accuracy is 100 times better when I take a nice and easy swing, and I still get really good distances.

It is one thing to think about taking an easy swing, it is another to try and put it into practice.....and I speak from experience here too :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back