Playing from another fairway after a wayward tee shot with folks on the tee.

I’ll wait until they all tee off when I’m in the wrong fairway. If they wave me out, I move quickly.

Here is how I view what the proper procedure should be. I think its pretty simple. This issue is very often associated with pace of play and is why most people seem to want to tee off and have the person wait and also feel that they have the right of way. But I say it should all depend on whether or not the person is from a hole behind your hole or ahead of your own hole. You see...my logic is that if the person is from a hole ahead of yours and you make that person wait for your entire group to tee (which could be many minutes) tee off then all your doing is causing that same persons group to then be delayed and since they are technically in front of yours, your only now adding to your own future wait time. IMO Just pause your teeing and let the player (who is in a group ahead of yours) take care of his business. If the player is from a hole behind your hole then the opposite would hold true.

I think right of way has to be placed on the back burner if we want to do things in such a fashion that would cause the least delay. So with that, imo if the player is from a hole ahead of yours then let him play while if he is from a hole behind yours then you should play first.

What do you think?
I honestly have never thought of it like that which I bolded and put in red. Good point, and if the course is backed up, then it seems to be the logical decision.

But if the course is fairly empty, and it is clear ahead of you, then I might lean to hitting if my group is ready. If not, then let the guy hit. If the course is fairly empty and you catch up to him (he/his group is at least part of an entire hole ahead of you, then you were going to catch them anyway.

This isn't particularly uncommon at good ol' Rio Hondo in Downey, CA - where I generally play once a month or so. The front 9 is pretty tightly put together so you really don't have to miss it all that bad to wind up in another fairway.

So yeah, if players are on the teebox and not waiting for anyone in front of them; I wait for them. Otherwise, I go ahead and punch that 8 iron back into my fairway.

(Clearly, I've done this a lot on #3. Ahem.)

I honestly have never thought of it like that which I bolded and put in red. Good point, and if the course is backed up, then it seems to be the logical decision.

But if the course is fairly empty, and it is clear ahead of you, then I might lean to hitting if my group is ready. If not, then let the guy hit. If the course is fairly empty and you catch up to him (he/his group is at least part of an entire hole ahead of you, then you were going to catch them anyway.

It really just boils down to either waiting for one person to hit vs waiting for 3 or 4 to hit. No matter which hole (ahead or behind) anyone is on its simply and significantly a whole lot less time delayed for one person to hit rather than for the one person to wait for 3 or 4 to hit. That difference in time between those two could be the difference between a problem pace delay vs a minor delay where pace isn't affected.

So I even take back what I said earlier about if the player is on a hole behind mine. Its still better for the course pace overall to allow the person to hit and move on rather than make him wait for an entire group to hit.

It really imo does make a lot of sense as being best for the course pace to allow the hit. That one relatively short pause is much more manageable for overall course pace than the pause that is 3 or 4 times that time. One is a pause, while the other a potential pace issue.

Tough **** stay in your own damn fairway

#waitofshame

Hahaha!!! Love this answer, this one can be locked up now. #BeenThere :-/

haha but if your group would really have that mindset then imo that's a little problematic.

And so...the first player in your group is teeing off, Im in your fairway and I see that the player is teeing off and so I of course wait like I should. Your group sees me wait. Imo soon as that player of yours is done , it would be good form snd the smatter choice to then allow me to go and hit while your next player is getting ready. Ok so maybe there is a slight delay but overall I (or whomever it is) would be out of there relatively quickly. The difference is having to wait a fairly short time for one player vs having the one player to wait for your 3 others. And his whole group will be waiting for him as he has to wait for your 3 others as well. That difference is a recipe for a pace problem imo. If your take on the situation is truly one of "too bad" because your group has the right of way so your going to all hit regardless, then I feel that's being overly righteous to a fault where as better common sense and better discretion should be used for sake of the bigger picture vs it simply being your groups right of way.

More often than not this is not a one time occurrence- if people are playing proper ready golf - it’s a matter of seconds not minutes - if the person is in my fairway and i’m behind them it’s only a matter of time before I’m waiting on them anyways

Like I said, if you can’t keep the ball in play on your own hole, wait your turn to play

#waitofshame

Yes, technically they would. I doint think anyone would argue that. However, "right of way" is not always the best solution. For sake of keeeping things moving along efficiently it could be beneficial to allow the player to hit and get out of there vs have the player wait for an entire 4some to hit. I think "right of way" needs to take a back seat sometimes so that the situation gets taken care of best as possible for the good of all others on the course.

As I mentioned eaelier, if that player is on a hole tghat is ahead of your own group and you force him to wait for your entire 4some to hit then his much longer wait is likely going to come back to bite you even worse than if you just allow him to hit. It also allows those behind him (even if he is on a hole behind you) to wait only a minute vs wait for your entire group to hit before allowing him to do so. So situationally dependent it may often be the better choice to put the principle of "right of way" aside for the sake of just about anyone.

We're talking common sense here. If those on the tee are going to wait after their tee shot, for example, let me - sorry, let the errant golfer; okay, me - try to hit back into the original fairway. To me, "right of way" means the decision rests with those in the tee box. They get to make the call, right or wrong. and they should use common sense in making the call. It 's no different from being the first car at an intersection. Ten cars behind you, ten cars in the opposing lane, and the first guy opposite you has his left turn signal on. You have the right of way, but if you yield to the guy making the left and let him/her go first, traffic ultimately flows better.

If there are people on the tee of the hole my shot has invaded, and they are in the process of hitting, I wait (out of their way) for all of them to complete their tee shots before I venture out to hit my wayward shot.

Now an issue arises if one of them dribbles it off the tee, and their ball is now between me and my escape route - do I wait for that person to get to their ball to hit again? Circumstances dictate the next action, either by them or me.

More often than not this is not a one time occurrence- if people are playing proper ready golf - it’s a matter of seconds not minutes - if the person is in my fairway and i’m behind them it’s only a matter of time before I’m waiting on them anyways

Like I said, if you can’t keep the ball in play on your own hole, wait your turn to play

#waitofshame

We're talking common sense here. If those on the tee are going to wait after their tee shot, for example, let me - sorry, let the errant golfer; okay, me - try to hit back into the original fairway. To me, "right of way" means the decision rests with those in the tee box. They get to make the call, right or wrong. and they should use common sense in making the call. It 's no different from being the first car at an intersection. Ten cars behind you, ten cars in the opposing lane, and the first guy opposite you has his left turn signal on. You have the right of way, but if you yield to the guy making the left and let him/her go first, traffic ultimately flows better.

I don't care for the 4way intersection comparison as its imo apples and ornages.

I think some are stuck on "right of way" as the end all right answer. And I disagree. I just feel that "right of way" may often not be the better route to take. The best way to deal with this scenario where as helping it lead to the least disturbance to the pace of the course as possible is to allow the given player to hit soon as there is a break in the action to do so. And that break could very well be after someone tees but before the next person does.

Right of way in this instance is selfish and does nothing to help the situation except to satisfy the principalof being in the right for those who are in the right. imo having good sense to play it in a manor that helps the greater good is the proper discretion to use. If that means pausing ones right of way then so be it. Its the correct thing imo.

Ill just agree to disagree. I just feel there are times when putting aside your own right of way is far more productive at minimizing issues and more worthwhile to a greater good than simply being in the right. Im a bit surprised with most everyone always talking of pace that enough wont place their own right of way aside to help best preserve it. Waiting for 1 is always a lot faster than 1 waiting for 3 or 4. But that's ok, anyone of course can play (if they like) to thier "right of way" so that they feel better in principal. ASnd they have a right to do it. But imo this is one situation where doing that can be selfish and helps nothing yet may even work to hurt something.

I skimmed but here is what I was told...

The hole in front always gets honors.

If I'm on 7 and drive a ball into the 8th fairway then the players who are on Hole 8 hit first, all of them.

If I'm on 7 and drive a ball into the 6th fairway then I have the right of way to hit first.

Never heard of such a thing. As far as I'm concerned, the people who are playing their own hole have the right of way. That said, common sense needs to come into play. If they're not ready to hit, go ahead and hit. But if they're stepping up, wait.

I like the idea of waiting if the errant shot is from the group ahead of you. Regardless, my practice has been to wait for the person to hit out of the fairway back towards their own. Often times that person is embarrassed and will be hitting their shot very quickly. Also, if pace of play is a concern let’s encourage everyone in the group to stop taking so many practice swings on the tee box or minutes to read a putt. That’s where you lose time; it’s not from waiting for someone to get out of your fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't care for the 4way intersection comparison as its imo apples and ornages.

I think some are stuck on "right of way" as the end all right answer. And I disagree. I just feel that "right of way" may often not be the better route to take. The best way to deal with this scenario where as helping it lead to the least disturbance to the pace of the course as possible is to allow the given player to hit soon as there is a break in the action to do so. And that break could very well be after someone tees but before the next person does.

Right of way in this instance is selfish and does nothing to help the situation except to satisfy the principalof being in the right for those who are in the right. imo having good sense to play it in a manor that helps the greater good is the proper discretion to use. If that means pausing ones right of way then so be it. Its the correct thing imo.

Ill just agree to disagree. I just feel there are times when putting aside your own right of way is far more productive at minimizing issues and more worthwhile to a greater good than simply being in the right. Im a bit surprised with most everyone always talking of pace that enough wont place their own right of way aside to help best preserve it. Waiting for 1 is always a lot faster than 1 waiting for 3 or 4. But that's ok, anyone of course can play (if they like) to thier "right of way" so that they feel better in principal. ASnd they have a right to do it. But imo this is one situation where doing that can be selfish and helps nothing yet may even work to hurt something.

Once again you asking people for their opinion and telling them that they’re wrong - your MO

I stand by everything I’ve said in previous posts and you’re making a mountain out of mole hill in terms of pace of play

Once again you asking people for their opinion and telling them that they’re wrong - your MO

I stand by everything I’ve said in previous posts and you’re making a mountain out of mole hill in terms of pace of play
My MO is to explain why things make better sense. At least i try to. I dont say your wrong as far as you would have the "right of way". And i would yield to it if i were the errant player because Id have to. And I have done so. All Im saying is that just because we might have the right of way, there are times (this being one of them) where for sake of a better flow of pace in the larger (not smaller) picture, placing the RoW aside to accommodate the situation is the best way to go about it.

Pace does very often become a mountain from a molehill by very many. Most everyone cries about it and even very often when its not truly a bad one. And yet I then see so many people (many of them possibly being the very same pace complainers) in a situation like this where they can do something via a small minor sacrifice to better help or better prevent a potential pace delay but they'd rather be righteous about RoW instead. Imo its kind of counter productive to the very thing so many complain about in the first place.

I wouldn't say you are technically wrong while I wait for your entire group to tee off. But just that my whole group (not just me) would be waiting for me to hit so they are all waiting for your group to all tee off too. Yes Im in your way and yes id be delaying you guys a tad if I am to hit while when your group is in between players. But its a whole lot more time involved when I have to wait for your whole group. And if my group is ahead of yours , its could be your own eventual delay anyway. Would you rather that delay be a minute or two or many minutes? because if I wait for your entire group its going to be many not just one or two. And after that Im still going to need a minute to go and hit as well.

Do what you wish of course, you have that right and I cant change your mind nor tell you what to do. But imo your just not considering what is probably best for the big picture. Your original thought was one of "too bad". And to me that's a bit selfish. Hard to say that without sounding disrespectful and I don't mean to be.

If it's considered bad form to hit into the group ahead of you, would it not also be considered bad form to hit into someone between you and your target?

My MO is to explain why things make better sense. At least i try to. I dont say your wrong as far as you would have the "right of way". And i would yield to it if i were the errant player because Id have to. And I have done so. All Im saying is that just because we might have the right of way, there are times (this being one of them) where for sake of a better flow of pace in the larger (not smaller) picture, placing the RoW aside to accommodate the situation is the best way to go about it.

Pace does very often become a mountain from a molehill by very many. Most everyone cries about it and even very often when its not truly a bad one. And yet I then see so many people (many of them possibly being the very same pace complainers) in a situation like this where they can do something via a small minor sacrifice to better help or better prevent a potential pace delay but they'd rather be righteous about RoW instead. Imo its kind of counter productive to the very thing so many complain about in the first place.

I wouldn't say you are technically wrong while I wait for your entire group to tee off. But just that my whole group (not just me) would be waiting for me to hit so they are all waiting for your group to all tee off too. Yes Im in your way and yes id be delaying you guys a tad if I am to hit while when your group is in between players. But its a whole lot more time involved when I have to wait for your whole group. And if my group is ahead of yours , its could be your own eventual delay anyway. Would you rather that delay be a minute or two or many minutes? because if I wait for your entire group its going to be many not just one or two. And after that Im still going to need a minute to go and hit as well.

Do what you wish of course, you have that right and I cant change your mind nor tell you what to do. But imo your just not considering what is probably best for the big picture. Your original thought was one of "too bad". And to me that's a bit selfish. Hard to say that without sounding disrespectful and I don't mean to be.

My first post was in jest, but when you write novels you might probably don’t see that.

Read post 31

You’re the one hung up on right of way. I want to keep it moving and keep the pace flowing.

Why can’t said player get dropped off with clubs and rangefinder find information needed to play shot while playing partner goes and plays their ball? Wouldn’t that improve pace when the rest of the group plays their balls and my group tees off then while we’re going to our next shot your partner comes back and you hit your shot?

Your logic is like swiss cheese.

You’re looking at one example - if it take my group 4 minutes to tee off how long does it take all of us to get to our balls, you can’t wait the 4 minutes?

The problem as stated in post 31 is said player is probably missing more than the one fairway which adds up over the course of the round, if it’s 1 time that 4 minutes can be easily made up

My first post was in jest, but when you write novels you might probably don’t see that.

Read post 31

You’re the one hung up on right of way. I want to keep it moving and keep the pace flowing.

Why can’t said player get dropped off with clubs and rangefinder find information needed to play shot while playing partner goes and plays their ball? Wouldn’t that improve pace when the rest of the group plays their balls and my group tees off then while we’re going to our next shot your partner comes back and you hit your shot?

Your logic is like swiss cheese.

You’re looking at one example - if it take my group 4 minutes to tee off how long does it take all of us to get to our balls, you can’t wait the 4 minutes?

The problem as stated in post 31 is said player is probably missing more than the one fairway which adds up over the course of the round, if it’s 1 time that 4 minutes can be easily made up

Ok, fair point.
But I cant help it with my writing novels. I try but my brain has a lot in it.

Never heard of such a thing. As far as I'm concerned, the people who are playing their own hole have the right of way. That said, common sense needs to come into play. If they're not ready to hit, go ahead and hit. But if they're stepping up, wait.
I hear you man.

I just roll with it. The higher hole plays. Simple and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll let them hit first, unless they wave to me to hit.

Back