Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing from another fairway after a wayward tee shot with folks on the tee.

Collapse

Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing from another fairway after a wayward tee shot with folks on the tee.

And so im sure most all have "been there and done that" when it comes to ending up in the fairway of an adjoining hole. Or something else we have all been involved with is that we have been on a tee when another player comes into our fairway to play their own errant tee shot.

Firstly if anyone is actually hitting at that moment we would of course wait for that person, but putting that one thing aside lets look at the general scenario.

So what to do you do? The natural reaction I see by most people who are on the tee is that they feel they have the right of way for all to finish teeing off. However if no has begun to tee off yet, then its fairly common to allow the player to first hit his ball back to his own hole. But sometime the people on the tee don't even allow the player to play his ball even if they havnt began to tee off yet.

Here is how I view what the proper procedure should be. I think its pretty simple. This issue is very often associated with pace of play and is why most people seem to want to tee off and have the person wait and also feel that they have the right of way. But I say it should all depend on whether or not the person is from a hole behind your hole or ahead of your own hole. You see...my logic is that if the person is from a hole ahead of yours and you make that person wait for your entire group to tee (which could be many minutes) tee off then all your doing is causing that same persons group to then be delayed and since they are technically in front of yours, your only now adding to your own future wait time. IMO Just pause your teeing and let the player (who is in a group ahead of yours) take care of his business. If the player is from a hole behind your hole then the opposite would hold true.

I think right of way has to be placed on the back burner if we want to do things in such a fashion that would cause the least delay. So with that, imo if the player is from a hole ahead of yours then let him play while if he is from a hole behind yours then you should play first.

What do you think?
    I golf because I can But I stink because I can't

Since it's usually me in the other fairway I usually just wait and see if they have hit their shots. If they haven't and are just not close to teeing off I hit. If they are in between shots I wait. Shouldn't be too difficult. It's still faster than many of us just simply searching for a lost ball.
    Epic Flash SZ
    Epic Flash 3W
    Big Bertha 4H
    CF16 - Recoils
    MD4 (50,54,58)
    PM GRIND 19
    Toulon PDX
    Truvis

Comment

I yield to the people who aren't on the wrong hole. If someone is on my hole, they're usually by themselves and most people will be in a hurry to get out of the way, so I'll motion to them to go ahead.
      M5 Tour / Tensei CK Orange 60
      M2 3HL / White Tie 70x4
      Apex UT 18 / Recoil 680 F4
      Apex 3i / Tour V 110, Apex Pro 19 Smoke 4-PW / LZ 6.0
      J40 52
      MD4 56W
      Studio Stainless Newport 2 by Kick Ass Clubs

Comment

I skimmed but here is what I was told...

The hole in front always gets honors.

If I'm on 7 and drive a ball into the 8th fairway then the players who are on Hole 8 hit first, all of them.

If I'm on 7 and drive a ball into the 6th fairway then I have the right of way to hit first.
        In my Alpha Convoy 514 RTC Bag
        Rogue 9.5*
        Rogue 2H 17* 3H 19* 4H 21*
        Apex CF19 (5-AW)

MD4 54* & 58* S-Grind
        Z-Star ProV1
        Atlanta H4

Comment

Originally posted by CobraX51 View Post
          I skimmed but here is what I was told...

The hole in front always gets honors.

If I'm on 7 and drive a ball into the 8th fairway then the players who are on Hole 8 hit first, all of them.

If I'm on 7 and drive a ball into the 6th fairway then I have the right of way to hit first.
          Too much math
          Epic Flash SZ
          Epic Flash 3W
          Big Bertha 4H
          CF16 - Recoils
          MD4 (50,54,58)
          PM GRIND 19
          Toulon PDX
          Truvis

Comment

Originally posted by SlightDraw View Post
            Too much math
            hahaha
            I golf because I can But I stink because I can't

Comment

I just do my best to see what's happening, certainly letting the tee box clear if I can see it, and then run out with a short iron and get back into play ASAP, I don't think you can overthink the shot nor the situation, just do your best to not interrupt their hole.

Comment

If I am in the other fairway, I let the people on the tee box decide my move. Already messed up my shot, don't need to mess up their pace of play too. If they say go for it, I am hitting and out of there as quick as I can.

If I am on the tee and another gets in my fairway, I usually let them go, unless it appears they are asking us to go instead, which I will comply to assuming the group ahead of us isn't too close. Since they hit a bad shot, I totally understand if they want a chance to relax and get it together for their next shot. Been there before!
                PROUD ALUMNI of Team THP in the 2018 GRANDADDY #100Birdies10kLaughs #Captain'sApprentice thanks to and

In my Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag

Driver: EPIC FLASH 9* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
                3W: EPIC FLASH w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
                5W: EPIC FLASH w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
                Hybrid: Apex 23* w/ Catalyst 70 6.0
                Irons: Apex 5-AW w/ Elevate Tour Stiff
                Wedges: MD4 54W 58W DG S200 115
                Stroke Lab Seven S / EXO Stroke Lab Seven S
                Chrome Soft / "G" Truvis Chrome Soft X / ERC Soft

Comment

I think it totally has to do with the shot the person has from the wrong fairway. If all it is a pitch back to the fairway then they should hit. If they have a clear site line to their hole I would make them wait so that they can take the proper time. If they have to carry "junk" then I also make them wait.

Those are the points I look at when I hit in the wrong fairway. If I see that I should wait then I just hang back and not give the tee box a chance to wave me to play unless their fairway is currently occupied by another group.
                  Driver: GBB EPIC 10.5 HZRDUS 6.0
                  3 Wood: XR16 Pro
                  Utility: X Forged UT 18* C Taper Light
                  Irons: JPX 900 Forged 4-PW LZ 6.0
                  Wedge: MD4 50*,54*,58*
                  Putter: Cameron & Crown Mallet 1

Comment

Originally posted by SlightDraw View Post
                    Too much math
                    Read the scorecard!!
                    In my Alpha Convoy 514 RTC Bag
                    Rogue 9.5*
                    Rogue 2H 17* 3H 19* 4H 21*
                    Apex CF19 (5-AW)

MD4 54* & 58* S-Grind
                    Z-Star ProV1
                    Atlanta H4

Comment

Originally posted by BlueHen2006 View Post
                      If I am in the other fairway, I let the people on the tee box decide my move. Already messed up my shot, don't need to mess up their pace of play too. If they say go for it, I am hitting and out of there as quick as I can.

If I am on the tee and another gets in my fairway, I usually let them go, unless it appears they are asking us to go instead, which I will comply to assuming the group ahead of us isn't too close. Since they hit a bad shot, I totally understand if they want a chance to relax and get it together for their next shot. Been there before!
                      This. I am fairly familiar with this situation.
                      Spoiler
                      M9 Cart Bag
                      M1 2017
                      Exotics EX10 Beta 4W (16.5*)
                      King F7 #3-4H (19.5*)
                      Edge 5-PW
                      F8 5-GW
                      RTX-3 CB 54* & 68*
                      TFI 2135 1.0
                      Z Star

Comment

Good question, I've never been told or learned golfing etiquette on this situation.

The uncomfortable part for me, is consolidating the players on the tee box into one entity. That is my issue. Ready golf and lightly traveled four-way intersections come to mind.

I'll wait for the tee box to clear before approaching my ball in the other fairway, but if the role was reversed I'd signal and let the golfer who is ready to approach and get back to their hole.
                        Whatever makes the most sense from both perspectives.
                        W.I.T. Sync w/:
                        Spoiler
                        DR: 9o G400 Max w/Stock Alta
                        3W: 13.5o G400 w/Stock Alta
                        5W: 17.5o G400 w/Alta hacked -11/8"
                        4H: 22o G400 w/Stock Alta
                        4i - 6i: 712CB w/Dynalite Gold XP S300
                        7i - 9i: 712MB w/Dynalite Gold XP S300
                        PW: Vokey SM7 48o w/Stock DG S200
                        SW: Vokey ​Design 54o K grind w/DG S300
                        LW: Vokey SM7 60o L grind w/Stock DG S200
                        Putter: Toulon Austin
                        Grips: Z Cord Align
                        I play golf because it cannot be won, some just play it better. I keep playing to figure out why.

Comment

If the group on the tee is prepared to tee off I will let them complete drives if there is any hesitation I will invade their fairway and play my shot.

All roads lead to the Grandaddy!!!

Comment

Not a problem on my home course, but I have been in the situation before (usually me in the fairway - darn slice) and the usual courtesy is let the person in the fairway get out of the way.
                            3.5 cart with Org 14 bag with
                            Rogue Driver
                            Rogue 3W, 5W & HW
                            Rogue 5-AW
                            MD4 54w & 60c
                            Toulon Putter
                            ERC Soft ball

Comment

Golfers playing the hole have right of way. Always.
                              F9 Speedback Avalanche 10.5 Driver HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
                              F9 Speedback Yellow 14.5 Fwy HZRDUS Red 75
                              F9 Speedback Pink 18.5 Fwy HZRDUS Red 65
                              F9 Speedback 4i Catalyst 80 6.0
                              F9 Speedback Pink 5-GW Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
                              King Black 52/56/60 Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

NEAD 8802 303 Stainless; Bronze Face/Bronze Stripe Rear Flange

Black Cobra Connect UTX
                              Hybrid
                              Truvis Shaka Ball

sigpic

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X