fairway bunker, Good lie, are you approaching or just getting out and up a bit.

Like Brian's response on page one, I'm a little puzzled by the question too? I'm just not seeing how good lie in a fairway bunker, no lip issues, comfortable yardage is that much different from a good lie in the rough, no tree issues, comfortable yardage. My assumption is the universal answer to both these straight forward scenarios would be to attempt to hit an approach to the green. I'm not suggesting it would always be successfully accomplished but why would anyone not at least try?

Fairway bunker? Pitching wedge. I just want to get out of it.

Going at the green 100% of the time. I’m a picker so fairway bunkers are not an issue for me.

why couldn't it be a good question to ask? Many people can suffer in bunkers even with good lies and good stances. It can be similar to asking about most any recovery shot. Imo its a good question worthy of discussion. No?

it is a very good question we had multiple live action examples of in a tournament Saturday. A massive bunker that has I think 6 grass islands in between bifurcates the 8th and 9th fairways. The group ahead, behind, and our group combined to put something like 9 balls in the bunker. One guy not only had a perfect lie, he rolled the ball right behind the guys leaving the green (he should have waited, went and apologized and they complimented his shot) and had a 6' birdie putt. One guy hit it 40 yards and was still in the bunker. His second shot came out about 10 yards. I tried to hit it to the 150 marker. I was not successful.

Knowing this altered my tee shot on 9 to avoid the bunker which usually I don't care about.

The question you are asking was extremely relevant to that shot.

I'm with most - if there's no lip and I have a reasonable approach distance I'm going for it. If there's a hazard short of the green, or an approach of 180+ yards I might consider laying up instead.

Back