Muni Golf and the PGA

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Reaction score
Handicap
I am messing around in my living room with live from the PGA playing for probably the 4th time on the golf channel. I finally stopped what I am doing as I'm about to go to bed and caught a nice segment on municipal golf courses. They then cut to the analysts as they talk about their experiences on public golf courses. It set about a chain of thought. I forgot how rare it is to see a tournament of this caliber on a public course. A truly affordable option for your regular Joe.

I sit here thinking about so many topics surrounding the golf world and how they seem to prioritize the private or expensive course. For instance the USGA potentially rolling back the golf ball. This serves to save the private courses from having to lengthen the courses at the cost of the every day golfer hacking away at their local municipal. The majority of the pros seem to have grown up on a country club. There are some exceptions, but they are almost discussed as succeeding in spite of having to play public golf. Open up a golf magazine and you are provided in depth pictures of courses that you'd have to donate a kidney to get on.

I love seeing the highlighting of public golf and how it can be key to growing or maintaining the game. But, I feel like it's just lip service from these guys since they are currently on one if the most famous public courses. Just another talking point for the week. I could be wrong. I just feel like it's a novelty this week.

I get why private courses are so highly regarded. They are typically beautiful courses with a lot of $$ backing them. But, I feel like there isn't enough talk or recognition of the every day affordable public course.

I particularly like the segment on the other local public courses. I wish they would focus a little more on the local golf scene at some of their other stops.

Just a rambling thought from a Muni golf guy who's too tired to spell check. Just wanted to type this out as it was fresh on my mind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As a neo local... Many of the courses I play are Muni/metropark courses. It was nice to see the truly great munis. Knowing they exist will make me think twice before discounting them in the future.

Couldn't agree with your sentiments more. I'll be playing the Wilmington Muni after work today, an enjoyable Donald Ross track that you can get around walking for not much money. Muni's are a great entry point to the game.

There are a lot of great muni and public golf course here in Minneapolis including one that my daughter practices at 4 days a week with her high school team. They are sometimes plagued by slow play but it great to see dozens of good affordable golf courses here with quality greens and turf conditions. When I lived in the Sacramento area for 20 years their were only a handful of similar courses(although none had decent greens). Makes sense with Minnesota having a much higher golf participation rate than California.

Plenty of great munis here in Kansas. A lot of them are only 9 hole courses, but plenty of 18 holes courses as well. They can get packed at times, but usually plenty of tee times available and at a good rate with most being under $50 for 18 and cart.

Charlotte has a whole network with the parks and rec department which 2 of them are not actually bad courses. 2 are goat tracks but cheap and an easy round, though not in the best areas of town.

I think (course wise) Im pretty fortunate with my 5 county owned courses. They are all imo above average for munis and even a couple of them comparable to private status condition wise. I can complain about how things are often operated and the constant rising costs which are approaching the status of private clubs greens fees wise which imo is causing loss of rounds. And is also beginning to devalue some of the 'fortunate" feelings ive had. And some other things that are annoying or I dont feel are correct. But as for conditions by itself its pretty good.

15 miles away from me is a course with sand greens. They should make the pros play there.

~Rock

Most of us probably learned golf at a muni. I’m fortunate to have a good number of well-maintained munis within a 30 min drive. It’s sad to see one that’s rundown or closed. They are apart of Americana.

15 miles away from me is a course with sand greens. They should make the pros play there.

~Rock
I have never seen a course with sand greens. I've heard of them, but never thought they were still a thing.

I have never seen a course with sand greens. I've heard of them, but never thought they were still a thing.

They are still a thing. Here in Iowa, there are enough 'sand green' courses, that they actually have a state championship every year.

~Rock

I know the muni's I played in Dayton to me were good-to-great for all skill levels. Most were well maintained and the staff at all of them were helpful and knowledgeable. I haven't played any muni's in the Vegas area yet but I plan on trekking out this weekend since it won't be face melting hot and see what comes up. I love playing muni's.

We're definitely in no golf mecca here. But, we have 4 decent full length municipal courses between the two towns (Fargo/Moorhead). Fargo also has a par 3 course, a par 32 and par 36 9 hole courses. A good selection for a wide skill level range.

Nice courses. They get a lot of traffic though. The downside to affordable golf I suppose.

~Rock

Where is this course? I need to go to Chariton in the near future maybe I can get away for 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be cool if more PGA tournaments were played on munis.

Other than Bethpage Black, the only other that I'm aware of in NY is when Eisenhower Park Red course used to host a Champions Tour event.

Where is this course? I need to go to Chariton in the near future maybe I can get away for 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humeston. About 15 minutes from Chariton.

~Rock

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I get to play all the metro parks course around for free which is great. Sleepy Hollow is my favorite. 98% of my golf is public, but I have nothing against private courses.

It would be cool if more PGA tournaments were played on munis.

Other than Bethpage Black, the only other that I'm aware of in NY is when Eisenhower Park Red course used to host a Champions Tour event.
I agree. It would be a great way to reconnect the pro game to the everyday player.

Back