Is pace of play *actually* hurting the game?

Is pace of play *actually* hurting the game?

I think anything that reduces the enjoyment of golf potentially is bad for the game. For me, I can be patient and in my experience most of the time a group in front of me is ‘slow’ it is because the course is backed up so there is no benefit to them moving briskly through a hole. Of course there are exceptions... But what bothers me about slow play is that it impacts my game. It’s difficult to maintain focus when there is not a decent tempo and I rarely play well when I have to wait and wait and wait in between shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think anything that reduces the enjoyment of golf potentially is bad for the game. For me, I can be patient and in my experience most of the time a group in front of me is ‘slow’ it is because the course is backed up so there is no benefit to them moving briskly through a hole. Of course there are exceptions... But what bothers me about slow play is that it impacts my game. It’s difficult to maintain focus when there is not a decent tempo and I rarely play well when I have to wait and wait and wait in between shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about simply adjusting your focus? I can see how it's easy to lose focus when you're expecting to play quickly, only to be caught off guard by having to wait. What if you expect to wait? Wouldn't that help keep your head in the game?

I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if this is echoing others. I certainly play less golf because of the time it takes to play. My wife and I have a 1 year old so leaving my wife alone with the baby for 6-7 hours on a weekend is frowned upon. When I am able to get out early or as a single, I can usually finish in 3 hours or less and that is a little more reasonable sell to the missus. Our compromise has been that I only play once or twice a month.

Also, for me, the time it takes to play matters far more than pace. Of course, I'd love to play "hit, walk, hit, putt" rather than "hit, wait, wait some more, hit, wait..." but I'd deal with poor pace so long as I am playing.

I've got a two year old, and I agree, in that first year, I played significantly less than I would have liked. I don't think that has anything to do with the amount of time it takes to play a round, or whether I am waiting on tee boxes. Life comes at you fast, especially when the concept of raising a child is brand new, there are a million other factors keeping you off the course. Fatigue being a huge one.

What about simply adjusting your focus? I can see how it's easy to lose focus when you're expecting to play quickly, only to be caught off guard by having to wait. What if you expect to wait? Wouldn't that help keep your head in the game?

There areb things I do to occupy time when waiting. Chip onto the tee box can be one of them. Clean a club or three, perhaps clean some used balls you placed on the side for cleaning. Converse about things other than the pace, etc,etc… its amazing how a watched pot never boils but an unwatched one seems to boil in no time.

I often see people complain of pace before even stepping on the first tee just because they see a group not do so well teeing off. Too often I see people complain about the group ahead during the round while we don't even get done in a time that's anything poor at all. The mind is a powerful thing. Think and anticipate the bad and things can be bad whether or not they actually are and if they are only a little bad it makes it feel much worse and possibly like its the worst its ever been.

When things are bad and there is nothing you can do there is only three choices. . Either let it kill you inside and ruin your game, or leave, or accept it and make the best of it. The old saying....Got lemons ? make lemonade. Even in most poorer paced rounds I been in, I can think of plenty things Id rather not be doing than being on a nice golf course waiting to hit while the birds chirp.

I play a lot of rounds as a single walker with a push cart. There seems to be a biased to those who walk to those who ride. I don't know how many holes I have played behind a 4 some taking forever before they will even consider letting me play through before I have to ask to play through. I can play quicker than most twosomes on a cart. Those who ride just always seem to think because you walk you are going to take longer to play. Nice thing for me is I go in one direction. Most guys in carts go in four different directions.

I play a lot of rounds as a single walker with a push cart. There seems to be a biased to those who walk to those who ride. I don't know how many holes I have played behind a 4 some taking forever before they will even consider letting me play through before I have to ask to play through. I can play quicker than most twosomes on a cart. Those who ride just always seem to think because you walk you are going to take longer to play. Nice thing for me is I go in one direction. Most guys in carts go in four different directions.

yea, carts are only more efficient if utilized correctly. If not they can actually be slower. I always walk (95% the time) and i cant tell you how many times I been with riders (2 walking, 2 riding) where as us walking half the group seemed to always be ready and willing much more efficiently quicker than the pair of riders.

It’s very boring to be behind a group and they’re playing slow and you have to stand and wait! And even worse to watch a televised tournament & Tour players have to wait and watch one of their foursome take 2 minutes to read his putt or 2-3 minutes to hit a drive or fairway shot.

I agree that some pro's set a bad example but playing for the money they do, it's just not a comparable situation.

Saturday we had 4 groups. The course was sending people off every nine smurfing minutes. Nine. The starter would make you wait on one for the other group to reach the green, then go. On a completely unrelated note...5-1/2 hour round. This was not a tournament. Our front group was waiting on every...single...shot.

Note this is something we do every year, bunch of people from work rent a couple houses, fire up the cold adult refreshments, play 3-4 rounds.

Next year this specific course has been removed from the list.

There is a connection between the length of the round and our groups not going there. Not only to the course, but we have been renting houses in that complex. We are renting them in a different one.

Take from that what you will.

I’m asking this genuinely. Why do people have the need to announce that they are using a feature to ignore, when the goal is to ignore?

I have sometimes wondered myself, just how high atop a THP forum ignore list (if there was one) I might actually be sitting. Maybe there's an award for such a thing :)

I have sometimes wondered myself, just how high atop a THP forum ignore list (if there was one) I might actually be sitting. Maybe there's an award for such a thing :)

I don't always agree with you but I appreciate you actually have the capacity to both read and write responses that are well enough thought out to require more than one line. I have seen people object to the lengthy post and I am sitting there thinking, "I could have used one more paragraph to explain point x". I have also noticed very few people on forums in general have the patience to actually go in depth. I had a thread start all typed out about some course navigation strategy a buddy and I worked on recently that led to me posting, with my current handicap, what would be a net 63...despite hitting my clubs about the same as I ever do. But then I thought it would likely come down to you and I exchanging multiple paragraphs while most people through out the clever insult "too long didn't read" as multiple people did last time I wanted to actually discuss strategy on here instead of just take one liner after one liner.

Keep on keeping on man, as mentioned above...I may not always agree with what you say, but I appreciate that you take the time and effort to explain it in a meaningful way.

I don't always agree with you but I appreciate you actually have the capacity to both read and write responses that are well enough thought out to require more than one line. I have seen people object to the lengthy post and I am sitting there thinking, "I could have used one more paragraph to explain point x". I have also noticed very few people on forums in general have the patience to actually go in depth. I had a thread start all typed out about some course navigation strategy a buddy and I worked on recently that led to me posting, with my current handicap, what would be a net 63...despite hitting my clubs about the same as I ever do. But then I thought it would likely come down to you and I exchanging multiple paragraphs while most people through out the clever insult "too long didn't read" as multiple people did last time I wanted to actually discuss strategy on here instead of just take one liner after one liner.

Keep on keeping on man, as mentioned above...I may not always agree with what you say, but I appreciate that you take the time and effort to explain it in a meaningful way.

I appreciate that. Imo a forum like this is to be (besides fun) also informative, and educational, then imo what makes it all that and more is at times debate and more in-depth conversing. Sometimes its personal issues via misunderstandings via the text not always matching the intent. I also at times can go against the flow of general agreement which many dont like. But Im never one to play follow the leader and I never have an issue (if I dont agree) with challenging thee generally accepted logic's and ideologies put forth even when if done so via very respected people here or elsewhere. I feel something isnt correct then imo it requires discussion and possibly debate. Some people dont like that either. Honestly i dont even know if that post in this thread was even in reference to me cause i never saw it. But i do know a number of folks that likely have me ignored or may not have activated that feature but simply ignore on thier own. And so i though to mention what i did in a humorous way :)

Last edited:
I appreciate that. Imo a forum like this is to be (besides fun) also informative, and educational, then imo what makes it all that and more is at times debate and more in-depth conversing. Sometimes its personal issues via misunderstandings via the text not always matching the intent. I also at times can go against the flow of general agreement which many dont like. But Im never one to play follow the leader and I never have an issue (if I dont agree) with challenging thee generally accepted logic's and ideologies put forth even when if done so via very respected people here or elsewhere. I feel something isnt correct then imo it requires discussion and possibly debate. Some people dont like that either. Honestly i dont even know if that post in this thread was even in reference to me cause i never saw it. But i do know a number of folks that likely have me ignored or may not have activated that feature but simply ignore on thier own. And so i though to mention what i did in a humorous way :)

I agree wholeheartedly. I like information, I like getting a variety of viewpoints and sometimes I can see things a new way and improve with extra knowledge. And I am not particularly bothered if people who like short snippets don't want to engage with me. There are a couple of people on here that anytime I see they are the thread starter I save time and don't go there. My input would not be appreciated and it is better for all concerned if I just don't interact with them. Lot of people on here I really like interacting with, including at least two I golf with on occasion out here in the not very great state of Oregon.

… including at least two I golf with on occasion out here in the not very great state of Oregon.

You might lump me into Idaho because that is where our neighbors are, but I wish I had access to play with more forum members.
I'm new to THP so some of this caught be by surprise. I'm planning to see a few on the other side of my monitor, perhaps next year.

Budget Championships hit me hard. I figured I'd need 2k to do it right and couldn't justify putting my name in the hat. Going to follow and hope things work out next year, so keep the dialogue up.
Short or long, that is why I'm here. To read and throw in my 2 worthless bits once in a while.

Edit: Not sure what that has to do with pace of play, but in Paradise it isn't an issue.

You might lump me into Idaho because that is where our neighbors are, but I wish I had access to play with more forum members.
I'm new to THP so some of this caught be by surprise. I'm planning to see a few on the other side of my monitor, perhaps next year.

Budget Championships hit me hard. I figured I'd need 2k to do it right and couldn't justify putting my name in the hat. Going to follow and hope things work out next year, so keep the dialogue up.
Short or long, that is why I'm here. To read and throw in my 2 worthless bits once in a while.

Edit: Not sure what that has to do with pace of play, but in Paradise it isn't an issue.

I keep threatening to head to the Potato state to play the Island Green, if/when I do I will definitely look you up

As a Sunday starter at my Home Course (American Lake Veterans Golf Course), I have to make spur of the moment decisions on sending groups off. Too slow a pace ruins it for those behind; too fast a pace ruins it for some golfers. We get hit pretty hard at the start of the morning and we don't give tee times... so, I work with course Marshals to keep thing going smooth. Priority ONE... having a foursome... I do not send single or doubles. Players get a numbered start card on arrival. I then match players in 3 somes or foursomes. And, I've been doing it long enough to know who to pair and who not to pair. I start with a 4 some on #1; 2nd foursome has the option of being on deck or going to #10. I then alternate #1 and # 10 until the First Foursome reaches #7 green. After that, I no longer send players to the back nine because I don't want a bottleneck when group #1 makes the turn. Known slow players will be flagged by a Marshal and asked to sit while the group behind them plays past. Depending on the group on deck, I will start the next group when the group in front of them reaches or leaves the green. It can be tricky but the goal is to keep it moving at a reasonable pace. Generally, it takes 1 1/2 hours to play the front 9. 3 hours to 3 1/2 to play all 18... if you don't stop for lunch. If you stop for lunch you are worked back into rotation. If you start on #10, you have priority when you make the turn back to #1. If you want to play alone or as a pair, you have to wait for a lull in play (except during the week). As per the new rule... flag can be left in or removed. I have yet to see that option affect play one way or the other. Clearly it does not speed up play leaving the flag in.

Last edited:
As a Sunday starter at my Home Course (American Lake Veterans Golf Course), I have to make spur of the moment decisions on sending groups off. Too slow a pace ruins it for those behind; too fast a pace ruins it for some golfers. We get hit pretty hard at the start of the morning and we don't give tee times... so, I work with course Marshals to keep thing going smooth. Priority ONE... having a foursome... I do not send single or doubles. Players get a numbered start card on arrival. I then match players in 3 somes or foursomes. And, I've been doing it long enough to know who to pair and who not to pair. I start with a 4 some on #1; 2nd foursome has the option of being on deck or going to #10. I then alternate #1 and # 10 until the First Foursome reaches #7 green. After that, I no longer send players to the back nine because I don't want a bottleneck when group #1 makes the turn. Known slow players will be flagged by a Marshal and asked to sit while the group behind them plays past. Depending on the group on deck, I will start the next group when the group in front of them reaches or leaves the green. It can be tricky but the goal is to keep it moving at a reasonable pace. Generally, it takes 1 1/2 hours to play the front 9. 3 hours to 3 1/2 to play all 18... if you don't stop for lunch. If you stop for lunch you are worked back into rotation. If you start on #10, you have priority when you make the turn back to #1. If you want to play alone or as a pair, you have to wait for a lull in play (except during the week). As per the new rule... flag can be left in or removed. I have yet to see that option affect play one way or the other. Clearly it does not speed up play leaving the flag in.

That's a solid system. I'd like to see something like that in play around here.

You were senior enlisted in the Corps, weren't you?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last evening there was a foursome on the course that was taking 20+ minutes per hole. We all started somewhere, so I do not begrudge them. They let one group through per hole, which was decent of them. But being two groups back, it took 40+ minutes to get my chance through (as a single). It was tough.

Last evening there was a foursome on the course that was taking 20+ minutes per hole. We all started somewhere, so I do not begrudge them. They let one group through per hole, which was decent of them. But being two groups back, it took 40+ minutes to get my chance through (as a single). It was tough.

But you didn't quit.

Slow play sucks, and we've all been there. Some days are worse than others, but no days make me give up. Sometimes you just need to fight your way through.

But you didn't quit.

Slow play sucks, and we've all been there. Some days are worse than others, but no days make me give up. Sometimes you just need to fight your way through.

Ironically Golf Unfiltered and a foursome walked off the course on Sunday, at 12 because of slow play, as he posted about on social.
It led us to ask if every round was 5 hours what would you do. A LOT of people said quit or play less golf. A few said they did stop playing for that very reason.

But you didn't quit.

Yeah, one the 40 minute waitfest was over, I actually got around the course quickly. Jumped two groups on on 10 and 14, then swung around and finished those two out as my last holes. 40+ minutes for 3, 90 minutes for 14.

Ironically Golf Unfiltered and a foursome walked off the course on Sunday, at 12 because of slow play, as he posted about on social.
It led us to ask if every round was 5 hours what would you do. A LOT of people said quit or play less golf. A few said they did stop playing for that very reason.

I could do 5 hours, if it was a steady pace. Its the hit, stand around, that gets old. BUt I am lucky. At my home course, after 6 PM, which is when I normally get there, there is usually no one and I can play in less than 2 hours, and get in bonus holes this time of year, sometimes even an extra 9.

How can you take 5 hours to play without standing around? I do at least a little standing around during 3-1/2 hour rounds and a ton of it on a 4-hour pace. Can't really imagine how a "steady" 18 holes could take much more than 3-1/2 to 4 hours without substantial standing-around time. Maybe if the beverage cart visits twice per hole?

I came to a strange realization today - I want to stop complaining about pace of play when we are, maybe, 20 minutes over or less. I’ve already devoted a large chunk of time to playing a sport I love. Sometimes it happens to run a bit over what I might think is ideal but I don’t run the world.

New attempt - if it isn’t excessive, I’ll just enjoy the birds.

Back