Is pace of play *actually* hurting the game?

Interesting scenario from the other day: @johan185, @stemmy66, @kevin81002, and I played on the 4th of July. It's the kind of holiday where everyone and their mother shows up on the golf course. It took a LONG time. I think it was about 5.5 hours.

It didn't feel slow. No one in our group verbally complained about pace. No one thought about quitting and heading home. We accepted it for what it was - a slow day. Golf has those.

Interesting scenario from the other day: @johan185, @stemmy66, @kevin81002, and I played on the 4th of July. It's the kind of holiday where everyone and their mother shows up on the golf course. It took a LONG time. I think it was about 5.5 hours.

It didn't feel slow. No one in our group verbally complained about pace. No one thought about quitting and heading home. We accepted it for what it was - a slow day. Golf has those.

It was closer to a 5 hour round and it didn’t feel long because Johan185, Kevin81002 and myself were such good conversationalists and entertainers! At one point I thought we were all on an audition... clearly none of us got the part!
If you think about it, we waited quite a bit throughout the round, but very early in the round either you or Kevin mentioned that you were mentally prepared for a slow round given it was a holiday which helped set the tone and on top of that I’m pretty sure everyone just expected a slow round given it was the 4th.
Had a great time will need to do it again... soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So based on that, nobody would ever quit because of pace haha. That is the equivalent of Johan previously telling us blades were going to get him to scratch from a 15

I kid of course, playing with THPers is better, everybody knows that. I can tell you there were thousands of people that didn’t play on the 4th because of that very reason though. Hell it was all over social media.

So based on that, nobody would ever quit because of pace haha. That is the equivalent of Johan previously telling us blades were going to get him to scratch from a 15

I kid of course, playing with THPers is better, everybody knows that. I can tell you there were thousands of people that didn’t play on the 4th because of that very reason though. Hell it was all over social media.

But there were thousands who did, despite knowing how slow it would be (also citing social media here.) Thus not hurting the game.

Courses certainly weren't left wanting for players.

Posted by my thumbs.

I came to a strange realization today - I want to stop complaining about pace of play when we are, maybe, 20 minutes over or less. I’ve already devoted a large chunk of time to playing a sport I love. Sometimes it happens to run a bit over what I might think is ideal but I don’t run the world.

New attempt - if it isn’t excessive, I’ll just enjoy the birds.

I wouldn't call it strange. It's more healthy than anything else.

Part of the problem with slow play is that people take it so personally on both ends. I have some friends that can get pretty slow because they are taking things seriously in a pointless way. If I point out that they are being way slow and that if they maybe take a few simple steps to speed up they usually just get defensive about being called slow.

The more mad people get about being held up, the more reluctant the people doing the holding up are to acknowledge any fault because the heightened emotional tension has made the issue more of a confrontation/accusation of moral fault than a conversation.

I'm not saying I've never walked off the course due to pace of play. But if I'm enjoying the company, the pace of play doesn't matter to me. Like Peter said, we were late starting because the course was backed up, and we waited on every teebox. But it didn't feel like that long because of the company. I had a great time. Hated the greens, hated the fact that I'm playing injured... but loved the company.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

But there were thousands who did, despite knowing how slow it would be (also citing social media here.) Thus not hurting the game.

Courses certainly weren't left wanting for players.

Posted by my thumbs.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra, nobody goes to the course because it is too crowded.

It was closer to a 5 hour round and it didn’t feel long because Johan185, Kevin81002 and myself were such good conversationalists and entertainers! At one point I thought we were all on an audition... clearly none of us got the part!
If you think about it, we waited quite a bit throughout the round, but very early in the round either you or Kevin mentioned that you were mentally prepared for a slow round given it was a holiday which helped set the tone and on top of that I’m pretty sure everyone just expected a slow round given it was the 4th.

And Stemmy told me to F off once. I might have deserved it though.

I'm not saying I've never walked off the course due to pace of play. But if I'm enjoying the company, the pace of play doesn't matter to me. Like Peter said, we were late starting because the course was backed up, and we waited on every teebox. But it didn't feel like that long because of the company. I had a great time. Hated the greens, hated the fact that I'm playing injured... but loved the company.

It’s impossible that you have walked off a course or chosen not to play. Peter said it doesn’t happen haha. The NGF and Golf Datatech point to sow play being an issue though.

You’re not wrong about playing with other THPers.... was an absolute blast! I think we were all hopeful that some of those thousands would have been the ones not playing in suburban LA.... not! Since it was the 4th and early enough in the day to play 5 hour round and still get home at a decent time to bbq and hang with the family, I don’t think the thought of quitting early reared its head.

Hell, Kevin made it home (2ish hr drive)before the others left the 19th hole.

I got out for 9 holes this morning and was lucky to have no one in front of me. I walked in 1 hour and 15 minutes and that was with hitting practice shots a couple of times. Not having to wait made it one of the most enjoyable rounds I've played in a long time. I was also able to get in to a flow and played probably my best 9 holes this year.

One big thing I see alot is people getting all bent out of shape when it's slow instead of just realizing that is how it is and accepting it and enjoying their time on the course.

I have never played a round with a THPer that I wished was shorter.

It’s impossible that you have walked off a course or chosen not to play. Peter said it doesn’t happen haha. The NGF and Golf Datatech point to sow play being an issue though.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

One big thing I see alot is people getting all bent out of shape when it's slow instead of just realizing that is how it is and accepting it and enjoying their time on the course.

Agreed.

I wouldn't call it strange. It's more healthy than anything else.

Part of the problem with slow play is that people take it so personally on both ends. I have some friends that can get pretty slow because they are taking things seriously in a pointless way. If I point out that they are being way slow and that if they maybe take a few simple steps to speed up they usually just get defensive about being called slow.

The more mad people get about being held up, the more reluctant the people doing the holding up are to acknowledge any fault because the heightened emotional tension has made the issue more of a confrontation/accusation of moral fault than a conversation.

You are right - not strange at. But certainly a new way of thinking for me. I’ve always gotten angry with “slow play” regardless of how slow. 5.5 hours, sure I’ll get annoyed but I need to keep myself in check for those borderline rounds because it used to actually bother me (kind of like you said, I was almost taking it personally).

I can’t lie, I was hoping to take advantage of said injuries ... I know you may disagree but I could see the healthy Kevin in a lot of those swings... heal up brother!

People duffing shots and hunting for their ball all day , en route to shooting 110, are not having much fun. Consequently, they are inclined to put their set of clubs in the garage and pursue other leisure time activities.
So, any person or company interested in helping "grow the game"should probably be promoting the concept of instruction and practice.

I can’t lie, I was hoping to take advantage of said injuries ... I know you may disagree but I could see the healthy Kevin in a lot of those swings... heal up brother!

If that Wounded Kevin Kicked Butt, just Imagine the damage @kevin81002 would have done.

Heal up and keep those Birdies flying Brother.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

The only complaint was about the Greens. They were torture. @pmm21

But the THPer's would have made 36 holes at 5.5 hours per round a blast.

Great time with @kevin81002 @stemmy66 and @pmm21

I had a bad feeling when I was driving up the road to the course at shortly after 6 am and was completely shocked at the view.

Golfers were literally lined up 4 or 5 golf carts deep at the first hole and every Single hole on the front 9.

As I walked up to sign in for our 8 am tee time and to pay for a medium bucket of balls, the starter was already gently reminding everyone to please keep pace with the group ahead.

That was before I was lucky enough to find these Blades at a Garage sale.

Now I truly believe Scratch is within my grasp.

9b5b1a9ef605190548870aff5e69933a.jpg
517991336b32e8bf96649f46bab69cce.jpg

If only everyone switched to Persimmon Woods, the pace of play issue would be vanquished.

dcc738bfa96fc490fca4dab091d58083.jpg
fda01499a6aa9cdf38270a197a906da0.jpg

Well there was 1 time with Stemmy66! :banghead: but that was because he is a Steelers fan!!!!

People duffing shots and hunting for their ball all day , en route to shooting 110, are not having much fun. Consequently, they are inclined to put their set of clubs in the garage and pursue other leisure time activities.
So, any person or company interested in helping "grow the game"should probably be promoting the concept of instruction and practice.

Plenty of them are having fun. People who unabashedly stink at golf are almost always having a better time than the people who are emotionally invested in their score.

What wouldn't be fun is other people resenting their existence and telling them to get off the course unless they get some lessons. That would get them to not want to play.

The barrier for entry for golf as a hobby has been getting higher and higher. Access to cheap simple courses is key to expanding the base and getting new players, but there isn't much money in that.

Back