Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is pace of play *actually* hurting the game?

Collapse

Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Molten View Post
    Support group started! I dig it
    haha yes!

Originally posted by kevin81002 View Post
    I agree. I play with my older brother almost every Saturday. He's soooooooo slooooooow! Him and his regular partner are slower than molasses. But, it's either don't let it bother me and enjoy some time spent with my brother, or don't play. I choose time spent with my brother. It's an extra half an hour spent with people you enjoy being around. Not a big deal, and they're too old and set in their ways to change anyway. Hell they don't even think they're slow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I think that choosing to spend time with our loved ones is the right choice for sure. And it's funny how many slow people don't think they're slow. I'm deliberate but I don't think I'm slow overall.

Originally posted by Tee/Ski View Post
    I'm with y'all on this. #3!
    Yes! When is the first meeting?!
    The #SweaterWar got me into The 2018 Grandaddy!!!

#100Birdies10kLaughs #TheGrandaddy

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5* w/ EF Green 55 S flex
    3-wood:
    Epic Flash w/ EF Green 65 S flex
    Hybrids / Irons:
    Apex 19
    3h/4h w/ Catalyst 70 S flex and 5i-AW w/ Catalyst 80 S flex graphite
    Wedges:
    54* MD4, 58* PM Grind 2.0
    Putter:
    Stroke Lab Three
    Ball: Chrome Soft Truvis (y&b)

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
      I think cost is a major factor as well. Up until 3 years ago, people (everybody with jobs) lost a tax credit.
      But I think if we are going to take their word that its financial, its hard to ignore and not take the same word, that its less fun for people when sitting around waiting.
      I think cost has to be the #1 factor by quite a margin. The cost of EVERYTHING has gone up, yet everyone seems to be bringing in the same amount of cash as when things cost less. Less room in the personal budget for an expensive hobby, and you're going to play less. That applies to the casual player more than it ever will to anyone in this thread.

It reminds me of 2008, the first thing to be liquidated in just about every family in my circles was the beach house (2nd home, summer house, whatever you want to call it.) These things are great, but when you need to trim the fat, they're pretty easy to put at the top of the list.
      ~Peter

Comment

• Originally posted by tbanks5 View Post
        What course?

Looks like admiral baker in San Diego

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        Camarillo Springs

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
        Driver: M1 9.5* set to 7.5* VooDoo SVS 7 X Shaft 45.5" X-Stiff
        Fairway Woods:
        Hybrids: X2 Hot 22* Tour Green Graphite shafts Stiff
        Irons: XR Pro 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, AW Tour V-90 Steel shafts Stiff
        Wedges: MP-T5 60*, 56*, 49* Dynamic Gold S300 Stiff
        Putter: White Hot Steel 2-Ball Putter
        Laser:
        Ball: Pro V1x

Comment

• Originally posted by shanewu View Post
          Yes! When is the first meeting?!
          I think I’m going to have a test meeting tomorrow - playing a public course that might be CPO. I will have a real test.
          F9 Driver - 9*
          F9 Fairway - 14.5*
          F9 Irons - 4-G (Modus 105s)
          KING Black Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)
          Stroke Lab #7s

Comment

Golf hasn't had constant growth discussions though. Up until this year, golf has been on a decline for years. Multiple places track number of rounds played. Courses opening and closing. Etc ETc. When those same places ask why these people are exiting, cost and pace are the two biggest factors.

It's like asking someone what they had for dinner. They tell you I just ate a hamburger. Then someone else from across the room, screaming, no you didn't, you ate a salad. Then someone else saying "in my area, we don't have have hamburgers, only fast cars, taxes and elephant meat".
            I get it, and certainly after my partial round today I’m more inclined to side with the “slow play is killing golf” crowd.

I just think slow play is the low hanging fruit in the “grow the game” discussions because no one will admit that they are the problem. If I blame it on that, I don’t have to address any of my own shortcomings - it’s literally everyone else’s fault but mine.

It is a concern, for sure, but I don’t think it is really hurting the game to the extent that we are lead to believe.
            Bucketsofjoy
            WITB
            In my bag
            KING LTD 9° w/ V2
            KING LTD 13°
            Fly-Z Hybrid w/ VTS Silver
            Rocketbladez Tour 4-AW
            J15 54* & 58*
            Abbie
            Tour B XS

Comment

• Originally posted by pmm21 View Post
              I think cost has to be the #1 factor by quite a margin. .
              I don't think so. Greens fees at my home area courses are less now than they were 25 years ago.
              I think the "#1 factor" harming golf's popularity is that people find the game more frustrating than fun, and for that reason they are reluctant to go to the golf course.
              Last edited by DG_1234; 07-12-2019, 11:41 PM.
              Driver: Ping G400 LST Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S
              Fairway metals: Cleveland Launcher HB 15* Miyazaki C.Kua 5S
              Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher HB 19* Miyazaki C.Kua 6S
              Irons: Ping G700 4-SW Project X LZ 5.5
              Wedge: Ping G400 58* LW Project X LZ 5.5
              Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 w/ putter grip

Comment

• Originally posted by DG_1234 View Post
                I don't think so. Greens fees at my home area courses are less now than they were 25 years ago.
                I think the "#1 factor" harming golf's popularity is that people find the game more frustrating than fun, and for that reason they are reluctant to go to the golf course.
                And the other side of this statement, green fees where I live have tripled over the last 25 years. Courses that used to be affordable have long been plowed down to make room for tract homes. Equipment has gone up about 30% in the last 10 years.

I understand what you're saying that more people would enjoy the game if they would learn to play the correct way. But therein lies another huge cost. What's instruction cost these days... 150+ an hour? And how many lessons would you say it would take for someone to be proficient in your eyes... say 20-30 minimum? So there's another 4500 bucks stacked on top of the 3 or 4 g's it costs to build a bag. The point I think you're missing is that most people on the course could care less about their score. They're there to socialize, entertain clients, or get some time away from day to day life. You, and the rest of us that take the game somewhat seriously are in the minority my friend. And I'm ok with that. I'll deal with some slow ass people no problem if it keeps my favorite golf courses open.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                Last edited by kevin81002; 07-13-2019, 01:14 AM.
                TS2 8.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g 6.5 shaft
                Speedback 3w 14.5, GD Tour AD BB 7X shaft
                915F 5W, Matrix 70Q4 X shaft
                U85 23*, GD Tour AD UT 95X shaft
                Z565 5-PW, PX LZ 6.5 Shafts
                RTX3 Tour Raw 50, 56, 60, Tour 130x
                Fastback, SuperStroke pistol 2.0
                Handcrafted Experience 2016 with
                and THP
                THP Regional Rivalry: SoCal vs Norcal 2017
                2018 with THP,
                and Jamie Sadlowski

Comment

• Good arguments on both sides of the conversation. We have courses in our are that have a “slow play” rep and get avoided by serious players. Not sure how much that hurts the course but has to have some affect. They don’t get any $ from me. Anything over 4-1/2 starts to bother me. Our average at home course is 3:45 to 4 tops. Anything over that and I start to lose focus.
                  On the other side, if a course has a strict pace of play policy it gets avoided by the casual golfers losing that revenue stream.
                  Side note: below is a note from our men’s league Prez from Thursday. Half kidding, half brutal truth. We were try to beat the incoming weather due around 7 ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Rogue SZ 9* Synergy R FLEX
                  Rogue 3+ Synergy S FLEX
                  Rogue 4 HY
                  Synergy S FLEX,
                  Rogue Pro 5-AW C-Taper
                  , MD3 52, 56 (BY ANTHONY TARANTO) 60 MD4
                  7s #7 Oworks Red or Toulon Rochester MR or Toulon Garage Long Island

Chrome Soft 18
                  A15 Bag Tag from Callaway
                  #IWEARCALLAWAY

Rangefinder Compliments of

All in a Fusion 14 Stand Bag

Comment

• Haven’t been able to read this ENTIRE thread but I take it into account (pace of play) because of how I want to spend my day. I’ve got a wife and two kids, none of which play golf or want to learn. So when I take away time from them, it better be worth it.

This is why I try and play the very first tee time out. No waiting for anyone, and I’m done by 10am at the LATEST.

I also think the pace of play would be vastly improved by
                    1: Marshalls - I cant remember the last time I saw on actually out on the course pushing people when there’s an entire hole open ahead of them.
                    2: Education - things like “enter scores from the previous hole on the next tee box as opposed to at the green of the hole you just finished” or “put your cart near the back part of the green towards the next hole so when you clear the green, the groups behind you can start their routine to hit up” or “help your playing partners locate their ball before going to yours”

WITB
                    Bag:
                    Nexus II Cart Bag
                    Driver: F6+ w/ Vista Pro 75g
                    Hybrid: XR Pro 18* w/ 5.5
                    Irons: J15 Dual Pocket Forged w/ DG S300
                    Putter: RX-6
                    Wedges: J15 Black Oxide 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Spinner
                    Ball: Chrome Soft Truvis

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernoulli View Post
                      I think the discussion does need to change course to be "what can golf offer someone who doesn't have time to play an 18 hole round?"
                      That's an interesting change to the discussion. An obvious answer would be to play 9 holes.[/QUOTE]

I think this is the question. A round of golf takes 4 hours to 4:15 with foursomes as the standard and 4 is the most common pairing that I see by far. Add the drive to the course, warmup and a drive home. 1 round is a good part of a day. Most millennials don't want to spend a day playing golf. That some groups can't get around the course in 4:15 just is the straw that might break the camels back.

The issue with 9 holes is very few places are setup for it. In fact, most green fees are about the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by Acesteve View Post
                        That's an interesting change to the discussion. An obvious answer would be to play 9 holes.
                        I think this is the question. A round of golf takes 4 hours to 4:15 with foursomes as the standard and 4 is the most common pairing that I see by far. Add the drive to the course, warmup and a drive home. 1 round is a good part of a day. Most millennials don't want to spend a day playing golf. That some groups can't get around the course in 4:15 just is the straw that might break the camels back.

The issue with 9 holes is very few places are setup for it. In fact, most green fees are about the same.
                        This is spot on. Pushing 9 hole rounds only works in some places. Perhaps the world needs more pitch n putts, and par 3 courses. I fell in love with the game on a par 3 where I was asked to play for a friends birthday. Had he asked me to play a full size 18 hole course, I would have declined. Not because of how long it takes, but because I didn't know what I was doing.
                        ~Peter

Comment

• [QUOTE=
                          2: Education - things like “enter scores from the previous hole on the next tee box as opposed to at the green of the hole you just finished” or “put your cart near the back part of the green towards the next hole so when you clear the green, the groups behind you can start their routine to hit up” or “help your playing partners locate their ball before going to yours”
                          [/QUOTE]

So how does this education take place? Where do golfers (especially new golfers) learn these things? Should all instructors include a pace of play "tip of the day", should courses hand out ready play tips when you pay your greens fees, should golf stores display how to speed up the game placards? I have been lucky to attend clinics on the course that include these tips, but how do you educate players?
                          WITB
                          All Women's Clubs
                          Driver - Epic Flash
                          5 Wood Rogue
                          7 Wood - custom made Classic Swing
                          4 - 6 Hybrid M4
                          7-9, PW AW SW M4
                          Putter - Red Ball
                          Ball - Duo Soft OptiX, ERC

Comment

• Originally posted by Maric View Post
                            So how does this education take place? Where do golfers (especially new golfers) learn these things? Should all instructors include a pace of play "tip of the day", should courses hand out ready play tips when you pay your greens fees, should golf stores display how to speed up the game placards? I have been lucky to attend clinics on the course that include these tips, but how do you educate players?
                            I think it’s the responsibility of the courses to do this. It makes the most sense. Print a quarter sheet of paper with tips. Hand out and say “we’ve got some tips to help with slow play we’ve been experiencing that helps everyone”.

AND if you play with a group of friends, it’s also OUR responsibility to hold them accountable for slow play.

WITB
                            Bag:
                            Nexus II Cart Bag
                            Driver: F6+ w/ Vista Pro 75g
                            Hybrid: XR Pro 18* w/ 5.5
                            Irons: J15 Dual Pocket Forged w/ DG S300
                            Putter: RX-6
                            Wedges: J15 Black Oxide 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Spinner
                            Ball: Chrome Soft Truvis

Comment

Golf hasn't had constant growth discussions though. Up until this year, golf has been on a decline for years. Multiple places track number of rounds played. Courses opening and closing. Etc ETc. When those same places ask why these people are exiting, cost and pace are the two biggest factors.

... I remember a time not too long ago that booking weekend twilite was difficult at best and you had to book early or the times were you could finish ere long gone. Now, quite a few of my favorite courses to play here in the Chicago suburbs always have twilite openings on weekends and during the week you can just walk up and play with a foursome at twilite.
                              F9 10.5*... Atmos TS Blue Blue 65s
                              F9 15.5* ... Atmos TS Blue Blue 75s
                              18* UDi 2 iron ... HZRDUS Black 85 Hys
                              5-pw P760/4 iron P790 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
                              SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind-SM5 M grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
                              ... 6330 at 33"
                              TP5x

Comment

• Since ALVGC is pretty much a semi-private Golf Club, for Veterans and their guests, we take pace of play seriously but with a grain of salt. To start with, we don't have Tee Times. It is basically first come, first serve. However, I say "basically, because we train our starters to get to know the golfers and send them off in the most efficient groups. On crowed mornings I will alternates starts on Tee 1 and Tee 10. No twosomes or Singles before 12 noon. While we try hard to avoid slow play, we don't think it is fair to "RUSH" players beyond their ability. So.. we also train our volunteer Marshalls to know players and watch for potential bottlenecks. Few things irritate a golfer more than being on a good pace and scoring well and then having to WAIT. Our Marshalls look out for this and will pull a group aside to let faster players play through. On average our 5 1/2 mile course takes 3 1/2 hours... some finish faster.

In the Bag:
                                Taylormade R7 Irons, Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 7 wood
                                Taylormade Spider Putter; Callaway Chrome Soft

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X