Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smiter View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and I get everyone’s points. I guess I just personally don’t care for them. I didn’t even think about that center of the green bunker that the tour pros play.

Google earth just confirmed for me that it’s Riviera. It’s a huge green, but what do you do when you are directly across the bunker to the hole? Be a shame to take a chunk out of that green hitting a flop, but that’s your only real option. I certainly wouldn’t do it in a casual round, but in a tournament...

I didn’t even think about that with Woodlands shafts, duh. :)
    I'm not a big fan of that green at Riviera, either, but bunkers and trees even in the middle of the fairway, provided there is room on either side to skirt those obstacles, add to the challenge for me.

Graphite shafts have really improved from the early days and I am familiar with and know that offerings from UST Mamiya and Aerotech are really, really good. Though Woodland may be playing black painted steel shafts I do believe Kuchar plays graphite Steelfiber shafts.
    Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 Grandaddy with Callaway

In my Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag:

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5į (+1/D) - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
    FWs: 3W (+1/N) Epic Flash* - 5W (S/N) Epic Flash - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
    Hybrid: Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) - Recoil 760 Shaft F2
    Irons: Apex '19 5-AW - Recoil 760 Shafts F2
    Wedges: 52įS* /56įC MD4 / 60į PM 2.0 Grind* - all w/ Recoil 460 Shafts F2
    Putter: Stroke Lab Double Wide or Toulon Portland
    Ball: ERC Soft or Chrome Soft
    * Interchangeable - I carry 2 out of the three

Comment

Originally posted by Smiter View Post
      Thanks for all the replies and I get everyoneís points. I guess I just personally donít care for them. I didnít even think about that center of the green bunker that the tour pros play.

Google earth just confirmed for me that itís Riviera. Itís a huge green, but what do you do when you are directly across the bunker to the hole? Be a shame to take a chunk out of that green hitting a flop, but thatís your only real option. I certainly wouldnít do it in a casual round, but in a tournament...

I didnít even think about that with Woodlands shafts, duh. :)
      A private club can get away with that hole. It would be a complete **** show on a public track.
      #GOLFBUM #INTHENATIVEAREA #PAJAMAGRAM #AWAYCAP 4.8 #DILLYDILLY
      GBB Epic 10.5 Rogue Silver 130MSI 70TX (thanks THP)
      Aeroburner 3W 15*
      Tight lies 16* Fubuki 3w x
      Pro 23* 4H
      Maltby PTM Forged 6-PW FST 125X
      Maltby M-Series + 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
      Matlby Pure Track PT Putter w/ Fatso 5.0
      Chrome Soft X
      Everyone plays slow and the greens aren't fast enough

My work is done here time for a nap

Comment

I donít mind bunkers but I hate when a tree is in fairway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 WITB
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Players 4 Bag
        TS3 9.5 DRIVER WITH HZDRUS SMOKE SHAFT
        TS3 16.5 FW WITH HZDRUS SMOKE SHAFT
        JPX FLI-HI 20* HYBRID WITH LZ SHAFT
        GEN 2 SGI IRONS WITH RECOIL SHAFTS
        SM7 VOKEY WEDGES 51*, 56*, 60* WITH SHAFTS
        MB5 FOR NOW

Comment

So I think trees in a fairway or overhang can add a lot of character to a hole if it is done strategically and the course manages it. When they dont manage it, things get unfair quickly.

It gets dumb when your tee shot has to be shaped one direction (required fade or draw) in order to even hit the fairway. Blocking out one shot I think is lazy course design. There is a hole I normally play on that has a massive tree in the middle of the fairway. You can attempt to hit over it for high ball hitters (40+ yards) or hit a draw or fade around it, or not take it on and hit a layup to 160 out. I love how the hole has so many options because of that tree and makes the hole more interesting. Without it, it would be a gentle dogleg right to a tiered green with the entrance on the right and death long.

Bunkers in the fairway kinda depend. If it is one that you are rewarded for taking on I see no problem. If it's one where basically the difficulty of the hole is flying this bunker or laying up short of it, it just forces club selection. It is just like having a random ravine that is clearly there to force a layup. It makes a short hole play longer which is fine, but doesn't really make a hole interesting.
          #MorganCup #TeamParadise
          sigpic

Comment

... I came down with a bad case of low tendonitis when I played knockdown shots all fall long many years ago. Aldila had just released their NV Tour 130gm shafts and they were the answer to a prayer. Honestly a little too stout for my swing with 1.5* of torque but I was able to play them with no elbow pain when cleared by my Dr. Aldila came out with their NV Pro's at 105 gms and much more playable than the Tours and I happily made the switch. A few years later they released their VS Proto 100's that played just about identical to KBS Tours and I still have several sets. All was working great so I decided to try VS Proto 85's but they turned out to be too light.

... I have tried several other graphite irons shafts and currently play Recoil Prototype 95s and absolutely love everything about them. I played 107 rounds in 117 days in Phoenix last winter and I could never have played that much with steel in my irons. The irony is I planned on going back to steel once my tendonitis cleared up but enjoyed graphite so much I never even considered going back to steel. They make very stout shafts to very flexible shafts and everything in-between with any weight that works for you.
            F9 10.5*... Atmos TS Blue Blue 65s
            F9 15.5* ... Atmos TS Blue Blue 75s
            18* UDi 2 iron ... HZRDUS Black 85 Hys
            5-pw P760/4 iron P790 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
            SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind-SM5 M grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
            ... 6330 at 33"
            TP5x

Comment

Originally posted by Chisag View Post
              ... I came down with a bad case of low tendonitis when I played knockdown shots all fall long many years ago. Aldila had just released their NV Tour 130gm shafts and they were the answer to a prayer. Honestly a little too stout for my swing with 1.5* of torque but I was able to play them with no elbow pain when cleared by my Dr. Aldila came out with their NV Pro's at 105 gms and much more playable than the Tours and I happily made the switch. A few years later they released their VS Proto 100's that played just about identical to KBS Tours and I still have several sets. All was working great so I decided to try VS Proto 85's but they turned out to be too light.

... I have tried several other graphite irons shafts and currently play Recoil Prototype 95s and absolutely love everything about them. I played 107 rounds in 117 days in Phoenix last winter and I could never have played that much with steel in my irons. The irony is I planned on going back to steel once my tendonitis cleared up but enjoyed graphite so much I never even considered going back to steel. They make very stout shafts to very flexible shafts and everything in-between with any weight that works for you.
              Play the same shafts (Custom THP Edition) and love them as well. Composite by nature can be manipulated more since weight and flex are not tied togetherz
              In my 2018 #TheGrandaddy THP Event Bag

Driver:
              Epic Flash w/ Helium Shaft 45"
              Driver 2: XXIO Prime w/
              Custom THP HZRDUS Shaft 43.5"
              Fairway Wood:
              5 Wood
              Hybrids: Launcher HB
              Irons: Apex 19 w/ Recoil Proto 95
              Wedges:
              CBX 50* and RTX-4 56* & 60* PM Grind 19
              Putter: EXO Stroke Lab Marxman
              Balls:
              Chrome Soft X

Comment

Iím okay with obstacles in the middle of the fairway if you have to hit a bad shot to bring it into play. Or if itís part of a risk reward play. For example, if a tree is on a par 5 but is only in play if going for it in 2. Or if a bunker is in a spot where either layup to make a long approach, or risk carrying it to make the par 4 green in 1 or at least make it a pitch shot.
                ST 180
                H2Hot 3W
                M3 irons
                Rtx3 50į
                Milled grind 55į/60į
                Tour S 64į wedge
                TruRoll Tr-ii Brass
                Z Star XV Tour Yellow

Comment

I'm a huge fan of trees in fairways since I feel like they add a ton of character, strategy, and shot making.

One of my favorite local holes (#14 @ Sandpiper) has a big beautiful tree 100 yards out from the green in the left center of the fairway. If you hit driver off the tee you need to stay right or you'll be too close to it to do anything. If you want to use the left or middle of the fairway you need to hang back far enough to get a ball over the tree.
                  Epic Flash 9.5* [Tour AD-IZ 7x]
                  Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* [Tour AD-IZ 7x]
                  Big Bertha 3H & 4H [Tour AD-DI 95 S]
                  Apex Pro '19 5-AW [DG Tour Issue 120 S-400]
                  MD4 56* S-Grind & PM Grind 60* [DG Tour Issue 120 S-400]
                  Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
                  Chrome Soft X

Comment

The tree thing used to bother me and I thought it was gimmicky. The only reason I thought that was because there was a course I played a couple of times with a tree in the middle that I was horrible at. I think I would probably have a different opinion these days though.

As far as graphite shafts I would love to try some Recoils in my irons and don't think I'd have any problem playing them. I think graphite technology has changed advanced to the point they are as good as steel. I tried Steelfibers last year and they seemed alright, they just weren't as tight accuracy wise as others.
                    Proud Team THP alum in #TheGrandaddy 2018

Driver:
                    Epic Flash 10.5* w/ XT60
                    3 Wood: Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* w/ XT60
                    5 Wood: Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* w/ XT60
                    Hybrid: Apex 23* w/ 80HY
                    Irons: Apex Pro 5-AW w/ Modus 3 Tour 105
                    Wedges: 56* MD4, 60* PM Grind w/ Modus 3 Tour 120
                    Putter: Azalea
                    Golf Ball: Chrome Soft X Triple Track

Comment

I don't care as long as they don't put a tree next to the bunker between it and the green. i.e. I want a way out other than a standard bunker shot.
                      Julie

Driver: GBB Epic 11.5 Fubuki R 44.5
                      Hybrid: Bio Cell 20.5
                      Irons: F9 One Length 5-SW
                      Wedges: Smart Sole S and C
                      Putter: 40" Tank Versa 2-ball

Comment

I don't get the "rewarded" mentality, the only reward I want is the sound of the ball falling into the cup.

Everything mentioned is asking the player to choose different clubs, risk/reward, forced carries and demanding shot shapes to get the reward, so I accept the challenge, it's called golf.

Comment

Graphite shafts are great. Give it a try.

I think itís almost funny that people would object to a tree or bunker in a fairway. Itís certainly irregular, not something we commonly see on courses in the states. But nobody promised us a rose garden. We know what the hole requires us to do when we step on the tee. Itís up to us to do it. So I put this in the ďsuck it up buttercupĒ category...hit the golf shot that is required of us regardless of the reason itís required of us.
                          Captain, Team THP in the 2018 Grandaddy
                          #100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:
                          PhillyV (The AssCap), ArmyGolf, dacatalyst41, Shanewu, BlueHen2006, KEV, mpeterson, Boder, Phil75070, rogt, ttucliffhanger, dazeedmonds

In my Shadow Fuse or Alpha Convoy Grandaddy cart bag:
                          Driver: EPIC Flash Sub Zero, Project X Smoke, 6.0
                          FW: EPIC Flash, Project X Smoke, 6.0
                          Hybrids: Apex 3h & 4h, PX Catalyst 6.0
                          Irons: Apex Forged '19, UST Recoil ZT9 460, F3
                          Wedges: 54* MD4 and 58* PM Grind 2.0, UST Recoil 95, F3 (tipped)
                          Putter: Toulon Memphis
                          Ball: Chrome Soft CS Truvis and ERC

Comment

Trees in fairways are cool when done well. Not so when they are only 100 yards off the tee and huge forcing a certain shot into a tiny portion of the fairway. I'm looking at the last holes at Woodham and Rockliffe

Comment

I don't mind the obstacles. If you think about it - if you know the bunker is there, and you hit it, then it wasn't a good shot. Even if that means it's straight down the center. Courses can over do it for sure, but a hole or two that way is tricky and I don't mind them.

Now overgrown or oddly placed trees right off of tee boxes that make certain shot shapes obsolete is when it starts to get aggravating to me. Being up in the fairway though, I know it can be avoiding with a good shot.

Shaft wise - GW doesn't play graphite, but guys like Kuchar and Snedeker do. Graphite shafts have come a long way and I absolutely love my Recoil's.
                              Callaway: Epic 9*
                              Callaway: Rouge SZ 13.5*
                              Callaway: XR 16 pro 18*
                              Callaway: X-forged UT 21*
                              Srixon: Z765 5-PW
                              Vokey: SM6 48 SM5 54/58
                              Toulon: Garage Atlanta

Comment

The only thing I am not a fan of is when courses put bunkers in the fairway that you can't even see from the tee

I played a course a number of years ago, and when you stood on the tee the hole looked like a simple par 4 with a generous width fairway, some trees on either side and then bunkers around the green, but what you couldn't see was 3 fairway bunkers placed right across the fairway that were invisible from the tee due to a slight dip in the fairway, and all of us in our group managed to hit one of them

A couple years later I was back there again and when stood on the tee I said to the other guys in the group that there were bunkers out there at driving range that you couldn't see - needless to say they thought I was pulling their leg and all hit driver off the tee, but I hit 5W and guess who was the only one not stuck in a bunker

Originally posted by alexped2393 View Post
                                Trees in fairways are cool when done well. Not so when they are only 100 yards off the tee and huge forcing a certain shot into a tiny portion of the fairway. I'm looking at the last holes at Woodham and Rockliffe
                                I agree with you on that one
                                Bag - Tech Lock

Driver - Epic Flash Subzero 9* - Evenflow Green 6.0
                                Fairway - Epic Flash Subzero 3W 15* - Evenflow Green 6.0

Utility - ZU85 18* - Recoil 95 F4

Irons - Z785 4i - 6i, Z-Forged 7i - PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges - RTX4 50/54/58 Tour Satin - DG S400

Putter - O-Works 1W
                                Ball - Chrome Soft X

He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X