Leftover Range Balls?

What's wrong with balls out of a machine? I, actually, prefer to get them out of the machine. It saves me 8.625% on my range balls.

Golf, where I live, is stupid expensive. Balls should be included and on the range waiting. Dispensing machines, buckets lying all over the place, beat up mats and trays all take away from the experience.

There's all sorts of things I teach my child, but at the end of the day they use their personal experiences and perspective to determine these things that are NOT black and white like some are trying to make them out to be.

This is the reason much of the US has lost its morality. No one teaching kids right from wrong. Personal experiences and perspective isn't derived from stealing from an establishment and then looking to their friends to see if its okay or not. Sheesh, now I know why millennials are universally hated. Lazy parenting.

This is the reason much of the US has lost its morality. No one teaching kids right from wrong. Personal experiences and perspective isn't derived from stealing from an establishment and then looking to their friends to see if its okay or not. Sheesh, now I know why millennials are universally hated. Lazy parenting.

Huh? Where does it say I’m not teaching my kids right or wrong? Wow. What a judgment you just made based off a single known.

I’m not a millennial. The fact that you guys have judged my entire being as a parent and entire character based off hitting some leftover range balls is also a problem our society has. It’s called unnecessary and unruly judgment. It also has its problems on society.

I’m not a millennial.

Never said or thought you were. Millennials have the stigma of being lazy, selfish, and lacking morals. It isn't their fault. Its their parents fault because they think kids are going to learn right and wrong from "personal experiences and perspective."

Golf, where I live, is stupid expensive.

Golf is stupid expensive everywhere. The problem with including them is that then, they'll just add that cost into the greens fees and that does nothing other than screw the person who neither wants nor needs the balls to hit before a round. They should be optional. As you said, it's stupid expensive already. No need to make it even more stupider expensive (improper wording and grammar used for emphasis).

As for the "where I live" portion. We all make choices of where to live. Few, if any, people have no choice of where to live. Follow my lead. I left the NE in 2017 for OK and would do it again tomorrow if I was in the same position. Only thing I did wrong was not leaving sooner.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Man this thread is off the tracks.
Lets remember the THPer way...Agree, disagree, great conversation, heated debate, all done with an attitude that is the way we would want to be treated.

I really am not trying to be super defensive. At the end of the day I truly don't care, but this topic is definitely fascinating to me.

Our perspectives are just different. If some guy wants to go out there, pay his green fees, then go to the range and spend 15 extra minutes picking up balls one by one to save himself $6 bucks...rock on brother. I wouldn't care as the golf course owner, and I don't care as someone who paid $6 for his bag. Kudos to him for being resourceful.

Like I said earlier, I'm not surprised you think it's ok for "some guy" or your kids to go out and pick balls one by one off of the range to save $6. A lot of thieves are very resourceful. On this topic, we will have to agree to disagree. I'm not ok with others, including my kids, doing this.

"Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching" C.S. Lewis

Last edited:
FWIW, I can see this from both viewpoints.

So, let me ask this question of those who say that it's wrong to pick up balls on the range.

If you were practicing at the range and the range had ropes down to indicate the day's "tee" to be hit from. Let's say they're 6' apart.

If you cold topped a ball and it went, like, 2' beyond that rope, would you abandon it because you're only supposed to get one hit on each ball or should you drag it back and hit it again?

Would your answer change if you walked up with your bucket and there was a ball just in front of the ropes that someone else had hit?

One time I had to leave halfway through a bucket. Picked up the remaining balls, put them back in the bucket, put the bucket in my cart and drove home. Went back to finish the bucket a few days later.

Also, using range balls on the course - that is exactly why my course started buying limited flight balls. This is why we can’t have nice things, people.

One time I had to leave halfway through a bucket. Picked up the remaining balls, put them back in the bucket, put the bucket in my cart and drove home. Went back to finish the bucket a few days later.

Also, using range balls on the course - that is exactly why my course started buying limited flight balls. This is why we can’t have nice things, people.

The responses you get here will be interesting about taking the courses property home for a few day LOL. I have no opinion either way. :popcorn:

The responses you get here will be interesting about taking the courses property home for a few day LOL. I have no opinion either way. :popcorn:

I see less problem with that than I do with using range balls on the course. At least he brought them back to their intended location.

No course (at least that I've ever played or heard about) intends for their range balls to be played on the course. Taking them out there is akin to theft. It'd be like taking the cash register from the pro shop and leaving it in the woods to the right of the first tee.

I see less problem with that than I do with using range balls on the course. At least he brought them back to their intended location.

No course (at least that I've ever played or heard about) intends for their range balls to be played on the course. Taking them out there is akin to theft. It'd be like taking the cash register from the pro shop and leaving it in the woods to the right of the first tee.

This thread is just bonkers. It is really amazing the complete lack of morality people have.

I paid for my round and bought a token for the range this morning. Headed down to the range at 7:50am to warm up and oh my we had range balls on the tee that those before me did not hit. I started thinking about this thread:banghead: Then common sense took over and I hit the balls cluttering the range, organized the baskets laying everywhere and saved my token for next time.

...Then common sense took over and I hit the balls cluttering the range, organized the baskets laying everywhere and saved my token for next time.

Excellent, you chose wisely.

Golf courses struggle to stay in the black. That is a fact and the reason so many close every year. The difference between losing money and breaking even comes down to the add ons - golf cart fees, range balls, food and beverage sales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

/\/\/\This/\/\/\

I took a shot at expressing this earlier in the thread; I’ll try again.

Right, wrong, black, white or gray - I support the game and I want to support the local courses who provide a place for us to play the game.

So I pay for my range balls. I want the place to stay open.

Doesn't seem that complicated.

Excellent, you chose wisely.

Yep, whenever I go into a restaurant I try and grab all the half drank glasses of soda. I put them into one glass then put away the other glasses for the waiters. Then I don't have to buy a drink and they don't have to clean up. Win-win..... Hopefully the restaurant won't lose too much revenue and be able to stay in business because I like free drinks. I know its not stealing because someone else paid for the drink and didn't finish it. Maybe I can even find some sandwiches half eaten and combine them.

Sarcasm off....

You could just jump to a dirty table, bus the dishes and pocket the tip!

But seriously, I’d say the issue with grabbing balls off the range is the liability to the facility. Sure you can grab balls that squirted out two feet. I’ve done that. But with the general populace where do you draw the line? And then some idiot runs out 20 yards and gets hit by an errant shot and sues because you didn’t stop him! That’s the last thing the course needs.

This thread is just bonkers. It is really amazing the complete lack of morality people have.
I know.

Yep, whenever I go into a restaurant I try and grab all the half drank glasses of soda. I put them into one glass then put away the other glasses for the waiters. Then I don't have to buy a drink and they don't have to clean up. Win-win..... Hopefully the restaurant won't lose too much revenue and be able to stay in business because I like free drinks. I know its not stealing because someone else paid for the drink and didn't finish it. Maybe I can even find some sandwiches half eaten and combine them.

Sarcasm off....

I mean if you don't mind the germs, and work of it. I got no issue with it. That's good hustle! It happens ALL the time in big cities, mostly homeless people, but...

I mean if you don't mind the germs, and work of it. I got no issue with it. That's good hustle! It happens ALL the time in big cities, mostly homeless people, but...

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or just trolling.

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or just trolling.

Neither honestly. I’m being serious. I could careless if somebody came in and collected leftover drinks and food. I think it’s gross personally which makes it kind of a poor analogy in my opinion because there’s just other factors with half eaten food. But from a morality standpoint , no I don’t think the person should go to jail for stealing, I don’t care from that standpoint.

Neither honestly. I’m being serious. I could careless if somebody came in and collected leftover drinks and food. I think it’s gross personally which makes it kind of a poor analogy in my opinion because there’s just other factors with half eaten food. But from a morality standpoint , no I don’t think the person should go to jail for stealing, I don’t care from that standpoint.

Do you think it’s possible that your perspective could change if it was your business? Your livelihood, and your family’s meal ticket?

Do you think it’s possible that your perspective could change if it was your business? Your livelihood, and your family’s meal ticket?

No. I've already explained this in other posts within this thread. Like I said I think the eating leftover plates of food and drink is gross. There's probably health code violations that prevent that and limit what a restaurant can allow a business to do there, but I don't waiver on my opinion on this topic.

I think as a business owner of a public golf couse, you do more to harm your business by micro managing range balls than allowing the few that hit leftover. I think people who hit leftover range balls really only have two responses if outed by the course, 1. They never come back or 2. they just leave embarrassed. None of those people, say "oh oh I'm sorry let me come in and buy another bag". So as the business owner I lean towards giving grace in hopes of my customer service getting them to come back to play rounds of golf, buy more balls or maybe even a membership someday.

No. I've already explained this in other posts within this thread. Like I said I think the eating leftover plates of food and drink is gross. There's probably health code violations that prevent that and limit what a restaurant can allow a business to do there, but I don't waiver on my opinion on this topic.

I think as a business owner of a public golf couse, you do more to harm your business by micro managing range balls than allowing the few that hit leftover. I think people who hit leftover range balls really only have two responses if outed by the course, 1. They never come back or 2. they just leave embarrassed. None of those people, say "oh oh I'm sorry let me come in and buy another bag". So as the business owner I lean towards giving grace in hopes of my customer service getting them to come back to play rounds of golf, buy more balls or maybe even a membership someday.

Fair enough. We see things differently; which is fine.
I lean towards showing the owner grace and respect by supporting their business and paying for the service they offer as I’d like to be part of helping them continue to offer it. I suppose it’s my way of treating others the way I’d like to be treated, and if it costs me an extra $6 now and then, not a problem for me.

That is a different line of the conversation. The owner would do more harm to their business by micromanaging. That is accurate. It doesn't change the fact you are stealing from them.

There is a break even point for each ball hit. Whatever that is 20 cents for example. All the overhead of paying staff, electricity, mats that have to be replaced, balls that have to be replaced, etc. Every hit on a mat reduces the value of the ball and mat. For every one you hit and not pay for is stealing 20 cents. If 1000 customers a week hit just one ball they didn't pay for it costs the owner $20. That is $7300 dollars per year they are losing because of theft. That is most likely more than their entire budget for mats they have to replace earlier then expected. Balls they have to replace earlier than expected because of theft.

Back