Don't be this guy...

DaBuckBoys

Reaction score
Played a round with my wife and buddy y'day afternoon. 4pm tee time, heat of the day, mid 90's heat index. Nobody around on the 1st hole so we tee'd off a few minutes early. As we got the green I noticed a single pulled up to the teebox. I thought here we go, Mr. "I play in under 3 hours as a single" will be wanting play thru. A par and a couple bogeys so it was a comfortable start. We didn't mess around, fairway #2 was open so my buddy and I hit our tee shots and sure enough here he comes over the bridge to the next tee box. He must have chipped in or made a long putt to finish that quickly. I can already see that the rest of the holes have multiple groups on them ahead but who knows maybe he can join up with a 2some or another single so I wave him up.

He greets us cordially and says thanks. He proceeds to shank a ball into the creek. My buddy says "Happens to all of us..." Well, he doesn't have an extra ball so he jogs back to the cart to retrieve a ball out of his Titleist staff bag (uh-hmm). He pops the 2nd one up about 120 yards. So he's off... next shot shanked into the creek again but hey at least he plays fast. Another drop and chip over the green, chip back, and a 2 putt... and he's gone.

Seriously, is playing fast so important that you sacrifice playing well let alone trying to score for the sake making it home for dinner?

Don't answer that... I still have heat stroke and don't need to know anyways.

Seriously, is playing fast so important that you sacrifice playing well let alone trying to score for the sake making it home for dinner?

when somebody lets me through, my answer to this is "yes." i play fast to the detriment of my score, because i don't want to hold them up.

but in general, i don't think fast is always because someone is hurrying to get off the course. sure, sometimes, but not always. as a single i played in 2:45 yesterday, which included getting stuck behind a painfully slow 4some for my last 4.5 holes. probably could have been 2:15 if that group wasn't in front.

Played a round with my wife and buddy y'day afternoon. 4pm tee time, heat of the day, mid 90's heat index. Nobody around on the 1st hole so we tee'd off a few minutes early. As we got the green I noticed a single pulled up to the teebox. I thought here we go, Mr. "I play in under 3 hours as a single" will be wanting play thru. A par and a couple bogeys so it was a comfortable start. We didn't mess around, fairway #2 was open so my buddy and I hit our tee shots and sure enough here he comes over the bridge to the next tee box. He must have chipped in or made a long putt to finish that quickly. I can already see that the rest of the holes have multiple groups on them ahead but who knows maybe he can join up with a 2some or another single so I wave him up.

He greets us cordially and says thanks. He proceeds to shank a ball into the creek. My buddy says "Happens to all of us..." Well, he doesn't have an extra ball so he jogs back to the cart to retrieve a ball out of his Titleist staff bag (uh-hmm). He pops the 2nd one up about 120 yards. So he's off... next shot shanked into the creek again but hey at least he plays fast. Another drop and chip over the green, chip back, and a 2 putt... and he's gone.

He might have been achieving a personal best, you never know. He may not have even been keeping score, on the other hand. If he knew that, why take more time?

It will remain an enigma.

Heat stroke, come on down here :banghead:

Eh, I can relate. I play about a 2.5 hour pace as a single and sub-3 with any of my usual playing partners, but as soon as someone lets me play through, there is a 50% chance I hit the worst tee shot of the day.

I generally make one more than my normal score when somebody waves me through to try to hurry a little faster. I usually walk 18 in just under 3 hours as a single or with my weekend playing partner that rides. I don't think I play overly fast but just like to keep a steady, fairly brisk pace. I usually make a club or line decision pretty quickly and then pull the trigger. Overthinking is usually a detriment to my game.

Hmm so I have a question about this. I often play after 4:30 at my local course (twilight times). I play single and I am super beginner. I've golfed 7 rounds. I'm shooting somewhere between 95-105. Decent for a true beginner but hardly good by any stretch. I consistently get asked by duos or foursome in front of me, "Please play through us" and I never know what to say or do? Every time I have played through they never have caught up to me so I guess that's the right play?

Also I've had a duo say "hey you wanna just play with us" which I try to politely decline because I just don't play well with others watching me, I like to take my time, sometimes if I hit a bad chip i may drop a couple balls and chip from that same spot just to practice, etc.

Kind of hi-jacking the thread but this definitely got me thinking...what was homeboy in the example above supposed to do if asked to play through?

Are you made because he wanted to play through even though you jumped your tee time? Or are you mad because you don’t think he deserves a staff bag?

Yes, don't be the guy who snickers at golfers with staff bags. Staff bags are awesome.

Are you made because he wanted to play through even though you jumped your tee time? Or are you mad because you don’t think he deserves a staff bag?

Nope... just comical to watch someone play bad golf fast...

Unfortunately, I've been there. Use to try and get as many holes in as possible after work. A group let me through one night and I tried to hurry so much that I shanked two into the woods down the right, duffed a chip, didn't even putt at that point as I was too embarrassed.

Hmm so I have a question about this. I often play after 4:30 at my local course (twilight times). I play single and I am super beginner. I've golfed 7 rounds. I'm shooting somewhere between 95-105. Decent for a true beginner but hardly good by any stretch. I consistently get asked by duos or foursome in front of me, "Please play through us" and I never know what to say or do? Every time I have played through they never have caught up to me so I guess that's the right play?

Also I've had a duo say "hey you wanna just play with us" which I try to politely decline because I just don't play well with others watching me, I like to take my time, sometimes if I hit a bad chip i may drop a couple balls and chip from that same spot just to practice, etc.

Kind of hi-jacking the thread but this definitely got me thinking...what was homeboy in the example above supposed to do if asked to play through?

I guess my thoughts (and I apologize, I didn't really say this in the OP at all) are that golf is hard enough. Take a breath and engage some of the mental aspects of game, focus and shot-making. If he didn't intend to play thru he should have hung back instead of driving up on us as we tee'd off.

I'm certainly fine with waving him thru but I can't help but think he'd be better off playing an extra ball, rolling an extra putt like I said taking a breath. I'm not sure what his priorities are but the emphasis on playing detrimentally fast or squeezing 18 in on a Sunday afternoon are puzzling. We didn't have anyone within 2 holes behind us for most of the round. A twosome did catch us on 18 and proceeded to land a drive in the greenside bunker as I putted (about 20 feet behind me, pin high, nice shot) I backed off and drained the left to right 8 footer for par and tie my buddy...

I guess my thoughts (and I apologize, I didn't really say this in the OP at all) are that golf is hard enough. Take a breath and engage some of the mental aspects of game, focus and shot-making. If he didn't intend to play thru he should have hung back instead of driving up on us as we tee'd off.

I'm certainly fine with waving him thru but I can't help but think he'd be better off playing an extra ball, rolling an extra putt like I said taking a breath. I'm not sure what his priorities are but the emphasis on playing detrimentally fast or squeezing 18 in on a Sunday afternoon are puzzling. We didn't have anyone within 2 holes behind us for most of the round. A twosome did catch us on 18 and proceeded to land a drive in the greenside bunker as I putted (about 20 feet behind me, pin high, nice shot) I backed off and drained the left to right 8 footer for par and tie my buddy...

And that's fair, but as a new golfer like me. I would've never considered hanging back in my cart at the previous hole to not pressure the two some in front of me. In fact my exact thought process would be I wanna go watch them. Maybe I can learn something, maybe I can watch them drive, maybe I can ask them what club they played, etc. Maybe I can meet some new people at the course I commonly play that might be cool dudes.

This is where us beginners just don't quite understand the etiquette ya know?

on a separate note.....Your a "super beginner" and already shooting mid and high 90's rounds. I find it absolutely amazing just how fortunate some people are with this game as for it coming easy for them. Yet another player in just a short (relatively speaking) time span who will be outscoring me after decades in the game. Some of you are just so lucky. Yea, Im jealous, ive put so much in and im allowed to be. But that said, good luck an be glad things are going well quickly for you.

on a separate note.....Your a "super beginner" and already shooting mid and high 90's rounds. I find it absolutely amazing just how fortunate some people are with this game as for it coming easy for them. Yet another player in just a short (relatively speaking) time span who will be outscoring me after decades in the game. Some of you are just so lucky. Yea, Im jealous, ive put so much in and im allowed to be. But that said, good luck an be glad things are going well quickly for you.

Haha. I'll take that as a compliment and be excited by it I guess? By definition I'm definitely a "super beginner". I did take about 6 weeks of lessons before I even set foot on a tee box. I'm playing the more beginner tees...not quite women juniors, but I usually try to play I guess what would be considered the senior tees maybe? I try to play a course length of around 5,500 to 5,800 if that tee box exists. The course I play on does have wider fairways it's not an ADVANCED course by any stretch.

I backed up a tee last night and shot my worst round ever at 112. And lastly I'm not quite playing USGA rules. I take a mulligan or 2 a game off a tee, but outside of that I keep my scoring pretty fair. I take my penalties from drops, I play my ball as it lies, etc.

If I am playing as a solo and a group waves me through I usually play a lot faster just to get out of the way, sometimes that means playing a stroke or 2 worse than my expected score on that hole, mainly due to the extra pressure i put on myself to "hurry" up.

bad play happens and certainly on play throughs many people tend to fail with an audience and the pressure of playing through. Just one those things from this coverer of irons:wink:

But I (as mentioned in another thread) do in some scenarios have just "some" (a little) issue at times with the late arrivers who intend on playing through the course late in the day like no one else counts. Not all that common but just those occasional times too many of them show up with that intent and then if enough of them comes it does cause those who were not fighting darkness and in fact purposely went out of their way not to fight it to now be fighting it. Most don't agree with me on that (what else is new :alien: lol) but I feel there is a point there fwiw.

Haha. I'll take that as a compliment and be excited by it I guess? By definition I'm definitely a "super beginner". I did take about 6 weeks of lessons before I even set foot on a tee box. I'm playing the more beginner tees...not quite women juniors, but I usually try to play I guess what would be considered the senior tees maybe? I try to play a course length of around 5,500 to 5,800 if that tee box exists. The course I play on does have wider fairways it's not an ADVANCED course by any stretch.

I backed up a tee last night and shot my worst round ever at 112. And lastly I'm not quite playing USGA rules. I take a mulligan or 2 a game off a tee, but outside of that I keep my scoring pretty fair. I take my penalties from drops, I play my ball as it lies, etc.

As said, I do get jealous of it. Sounds like your making the right and solid efforts. A couple mullis is a big score changer but even so that aside your so if you 95 is a 99 your still playing overall very well for a beginner. And yes that makes me jealous. As said, feel happy your even breaking 100 so quickly. That's not a norm but much more the rarer thing. Just wish I had been one them :)

I'm like everyone else who has responded. If I'm playing as a single and get waved through, I'm likely going to play a worse than normal. The times I've played as well as normal or better are rare. If I' part of a group that gets waved through, the chances of playing worse are less but I do it too often for my liking.

And, yes, there are people who play fast just to be fast, with some disregard for how it effects their play. There was a thread on the board last week where several mentioned doing just that. I don't get it.

I have been in those shoes. Trying to play so quick to get out of the way that you waste more time playing bad golf. I have hit some uncharacteristically bad shots when trying to do this. It's a mental thing. Hard to stop yourself from doing it when you think someone is behind you watching thinking, "why did we let this guy through?"

If I'm playing as a single and a group waves me up, I might just skip through without playing the hole. It's hard not to feel pressured in that situation. Also, there's some holes where it doesn't make as much sense to let someone through. I might wait until a short par 3 where it would be easy for someone to play through quickly. That said, I don't really see any issue with what the single was doing here. If he's not holding up the course, and not being a jerk, who cares what bag he uses?

Back