Don't be this guy...

Yesterday I caught up with a foursome, me playing as a single, on a par 3. They had already teed off and were around the green and waved me on. I play a bit of a fade naturally and of course three of them are off the left side of the green right on my target line to work the ball back into the center. Wouldn't you know it, dead straight. I'm not too sure who was terrified more, me using a living person as a target watching the ball track right at them or three of the craziest men I know when they ended up right in the line of fire.

In the end it was pretty funny, we all had a good laugh about it when I got down there.

Golf happens when playing through.

I'm like everyone else who has responded. If I'm playing as a single and get waved through, I'm likely going to play a worse than normal. The times I've played as well as normal or better are rare. If I' part of a group that gets waved through, the chances of playing worse are less but I do it too often for my liking.

And, yes, there are people who play fast just to be fast, with some disregard for how it effects their play. There was a thread on the board last week where several mentioned doing just that. I don't get it.

I garee there are plenty folks who take more pride in how fast they play vs how well they played. I use to play exclusively early mornings because like many (when my family was young) that's when you had the time. I loved early morns except for the time I would coincidentally be paired with the pace (or should say "race" setters). I don't like nor ever want to cause slow play and id always keep up with them whether I shot an 86 or a 97 because that's just how that group moved and so I would do it too. But I diont care for it as it reaches a point where imo it takes away from the enjoyment of being out there. It just can sometimes reach a point of...."why am I here?" as I didn't come to rush my golf away. Pace issues imo can fwiw work both ways.

Yes, don't be the guy who snickers at golfers with staff bags. Staff bags are awesome.

You're not still salty about Finley at the Gauntlet, are you, friend?

I like the thought that some have that he would play better if he played slower. There is a non-zero chance he would play just as poorly...but slower...

Like many others, I tend to somewhat rush when playing through and do not like playing through for that reason. Getting better about it as I get more confident in my game.

As for the bag...I have seen staff bags at goodwill and if I see another I will buy it because those are so much nicer than the OGIO I am sporting...

You're not still salty about Finley at the Gauntlet, are you, friend?
Hell no. That was funny as hell and he's treated me well since that event. Only salt is on my margarita glass.

Hell no. That was funny as hell and he's treated me well since that event. Only salt is on my margarita glass.
It was funny.

I don't understand when people have to go back for another ball or a damn tee. How small are your damn pockets?!

I don't understand when people have to go back for another ball or a damn tee. How small are your damn pockets?!
I hate having excessive amounts of things in my pockets. No golf balls in there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My only problem with the situation is not having a second ball ready.

I always rush when people let me play thru - i should slow down take the extra couple of seconds and relax but you never want to put someone out who let you play thru

I hate having excessive amounts of things in my pockets. No golf balls in there.

and hence the life of an almost scratch player vs a mid capper (or higher). One hardly ever needs a second and the other needs that insurance policy in their pocket too often.

and hence the life of an almost scratch player vs a mid capper (or higher). One hardly ever needs a second and the other needs that insurance policy in their pocket too often.
Oh, I've reloading more than my fair share. Just don't like the feeling of a ball in my pocket.

I'm definitely one who will rush when playing through, and you can bet that if you are playing through my group and proceed to take your sweet time you'll probably get a polite "WTF dude" muttered your direction.

Staff bags are sweet. I'm just jealous I can't afford one.

I know I've had multiple times where a group has let me through and I completely suck because I make myself rush to get out of their way. I know it's happened when I've been playing great up to that point but I just want to get out of the way since they were nice enough to let me through.

It was 4pm and he probably didn't want to wait on a group if he didn't want to so hurried and played through. Seems standard and under 3 hours as in 2:55 for a single with a cart is pretty slow.

Regardless of how someone plays, if they're pushing you, its better to let them through and be behind them. Much like driving on the highway.

Ah, the pressure of playing though. I'm sure just about everyone has experienced it at least once. I know a guy who always marks down a "play-through par" every time he gets waved through. He says if he wasn't rushed, he would've scored a par on the hole.

Ah, the pressure of playing though. I'm sure just about everyone has experienced it at least once. I know a guy who always marks down a "play-through par" every time he gets waved through. He says if he wasn't rushed, he would've scored a par on the hole.

Sounds like this guy

giphy.gif

html5
html5

I have played with a fair number of guys who are so confident in their game it is a surprise when they need a second. Smurf, I have had those rounds myself where I felt like I was not going to get in trouble at any point...that said, I generally carry two balls, one in pocket and the other in play but if something goes awry I don't automatically re-fill the pocket

Interesting. I've carried 2 extra balls during a lot of rounds with 10 tees and 2 ball markers in one pocket and my cell phone in the other, and none of it bothers me. BUT if I was a 3 capper, maybe I'd carry less sh!t. LOL

I have played with a fair number of guys who are so confident in their game it is a surprise when they need a second. Smurf, I have had those rounds myself where I felt like I was not going to get in trouble at any point...that said, I generally carry two balls, one in pocket and the other in play but if something goes awry I don't automatically re-fill the pocket
I've played with a lot of guys who shouldn't be that confident. LOL. Seriously though, I think some people just don't even consider doing it.

I rarely play through as a single. I don't like being rushed and when I'm playing as a single, I usually play my main ball (keeping score) and two more for practice. So, I'm not playing much faster then a group. Also, I make sure that I'm not "pressuring" the group by hitting up on them.

Guy was just probably nervous as hell and he rushed to make you feel like he wasn’t delaying you much.

Journal entry July 14, Wilmington, OH: Had an opportunity to play for 2.5 hours today. Dinner was at 6.30 and I wanted to get in as many holes as possible. I think I can squeeze in 16 for sure. Here we go. Had a great par on #1 and the group ahead of me allowed me to play thru. I thanked them for allowing this and since I always get nervous playing through groups I did what I dread: Hit the shank! I hit it into the creek! Since I was in a hurry to start the round I didn't grab a second ball to stick in my pocket so now I'm even more nervous as I run back to my bag (oh by the way this is the bag my awesome wife and daughter gave me for father's day! It's a Titleist staff bag and while I don't really like it I will use this bag for at least this entire season out of respect for her and her thoughtfulness at getting me something golf related even though she doesn't play or really know much about golf). Ok, back on the tee and my dang hands are shaking! I pop one up about 120 yards and try to move out as fast as I can. I'm both embarrassed and now in a big hurry as this couple and their friend were nice enough to allow me to play thru. I don't even want to talk about the rest of that hole, all I could think about was getting out of their way so they weren't held up any longer. I chipped, chipped again and putted as fast as I could and walked off. Good thing I wasn't keeping score! Man, I was so embarrassed at that fiasco! But to end this part of my journal on a positive note, I did thank them and was, as always, cordial with those that allow me to play through. They seemed nice enough about it and even commented that it "happens to all of us". I'm sure they had a good laugh for a few seconds at my ineptness then forgot all about it and enjoyed their round of golf....

Back