The Passion for the Game

My dad first introduced me to golf when I was around 14. Just hitting balls at the driving range and then when I was 15 he got me my own set and brought me to the course. It's been 20 years now and my love for the game seems to grow deeper with time. When I started playing I liked the challenge and the competition. As I get older I still enjoy the challenge and the competition but I have started to enjoy the architecture more, the tech that goes into the equipment, meeting new people and of course the buddies golf trips. Golf is the greatest game in the world.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I didn't pick up the game until college and I had a set of clubs from my grandfather that were older than me. (I grew up watching golf with my grandfather and loved the sport even though I didn't play.) I played casually & was quite terrible. In my 30s I started playing more frequently and a few years started taking lessons. My passion for golf has only grown with time and this forum/community has helped me in so many ways.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I didn't play a lot of golf as a kid. I picked it up as a teenager, dumped it after school to focus on my career and then picked it up again in my early 30s. As I get older, I appreciate the game even more than I ever have. I love the architecture more. I love the nuances more. I love meeting others that share the same passion and discussing the game that I love.

I love the equipment in every shape and size. I love that technology continues to push the envelope in all areas. I love that trying out new things is almost as much fun as the game itself.

There is something about this game that keeps giving and the passion grows with every chance I get to play, test and talk about it. Am I the anomaly or am I a THPer?
You're a THPer. Through and through. I think back to our conversation about large irons during dinner at Giordanos. Most people don't wanna talk about shovels for clubs but I thought it was just one part of a great event. I'd rather talk about equipment and course architecture than "check out this shot I hit" more often than not.
I agree with you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think golf (very much like other things we choose to do) is a recreation. But just like those other recreations, some people make it an enormous part of their life and that is an anomaly not a norm. Id say your both ....an anomaly and is why you have THP. If your passion for the game was only normal imo this place wouldn't exist.

My passion for the game pretty much ends at my efforts to play it well and its addicting. I also have an interest in the physics of things in general and so that part of my curious mind is what makes me even more get into it. And i also analyze the heck out of things and that too adds to my interest in it.

Golf is part of my life but an anomaly for me? I dont think so. Its all i want to do sometimes but sometimes not and would i want to change my life to seek golf as being a priority I just dont know.

I have another recreation of which I would have made my life and even relocated to do so. That is skiing. But because I didnt grow up in "ski country" it just didnt work out that way. And skiing like golf but even more so requires alot more time and money. I lawys feel to this day at 54 that i wish i made my life about skiing. I often wish I could have lived out in the rockies or siera navadas, etc,...and made my life around mountains and nature and skiing. That would be an anomaly just like what you have done as for golf.

So yes imo its an anomaly (not a norm) as for just how much golf is part of your life. You live it not just play it. That anomaly is why you are THP so your both. And i think most people here are far more tied to golf than the average person and we do tend to live it to different levels and its a pat of most our lives but to some its an anomaly but for most even though very tied to it and part of our lives still not quite an anomaly and still in the end just a choice of recreation. A major invested one but still just that.

Last edited:
I love the neutrality of the first tee, and four potential strangers finding common ground for 3-5 hours. Golf is unlike anything else in that respect.
Technology continues to entertain and fascinate me. I geek out hard when I see something done that doesn't seem possible.
Trying to figure out what the course designer was trying to present for 18 holes is a blast.

There is so much about this game that I love, and it's definitely grown as time progresses. Less about me, less about a score, more about everything else.

I love the neutrality of the first tee, and four potential strangers finding common ground for 3-5 hours. Golf is unlike anything else in that respect.
Technology continues to entertain and fascinate me. I geek out hard when I see something done that doesn't seem possible.
Trying to figure out what the course designer was trying to present for 18 holes is a blast.

There is so much about this game that I love, and it's definitely grown as time progresses. Less about me, less about a score, more about everything else.

Your last two sentences there, embody how I feel currently.

I didn’t pick up the game till college and never took it seriously until after graduating. I played baseball, ran cross country, swam but the biggest issue I dealt with in all of those sports was that a coach decided whether I was good enough to participate or not. Obviously I wasn’t a super athlete but I really loved golf because my score decided how good I was/am, and not a coach.

My passion has grown because I know it’s something I’ll share with my son as he gets older. I love this game. It’s given me so much more than I can give it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of like mentioned before, everything golf I just love to dive into. I think you have legit the best job in the dang world haha. I'm sure (well know) it's not an easy one and its tough some times, but I couldn't imagine a better one currently (ok except maybe a pro golfer or caddie haha).

I love equipment. I may not fully understand everything about it, but always love learning. Course Architecture I am getting into and really enjoy noticing the differences in styles/holes/strategy/etc.

Favorite thing though is this is a game I didn't do growing up, but now that I am into it, I can do it for a long long time and meet great people. I love playing as a single (maybe one friend haha) and meeting someone new. I love new courses and experiencing how they differ across the country.

My passion started because I did not (and have not) get really good at this game, really quickly. I've competed in one thing or another my entire life and every other time, I got good, quickly, and was oftern competing for podiums within weeks or months of starting a new thing.

Not so much with golf. It has been a grind to get to where I am at. Lots of practice, lots of play, lots of lessons, and all that to get to a 19.

I consider myself a decent golfer now, certainly not good.

So the constant challenge of the game ignited my passion and keeps it burning.

I am now getting to the level where I actually have a preference on ball feel and understand why, which architects I like and do not like (Damn you Fazio!), strategizing my way around the course, etc.

This is clearly a lifelong journey I wish I had taken up 20 years ago, but I am making the most of my late start.

My love for golf started decades ago with my brothers playing golf. They gave me a set of clubs and told me to practice. This all happened in the late 60's. I never took lessons until about 10 years ago.

I found THP by surfing the web and joined in 2013. My golf habit has since spiralled out of control. I now have a addiction my wife actually supports. I have a small setup in my garage for my golf addiction. My friends call me for help reshafting and regripping there clubs.

Yes, I am a THPer and an addicted golfer. I am on two Men's clubs and the Tournament Chairman on one of them.

Addicted? Oh hell yeah. Lol!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

JB you are an amazing person and have created an unbelievable community. Your passion shows everyday here. When i did play years ago it was very casual and I didn't care if i played or not. Now that i am back into playing it is all i think about . Being involved with THP has taken golf to a whole new level for me. I love reading all the reviews,events and what THPers are playing or getting for new equipment. It is exciting and super fun to be around.

My wife now plays along with my son in law and all three grandkids! Friday nights in the summer are usually range night for the family. It is a great game and i am loving the journey i am on.

JB you are an amazing person and have created an unbelievable community. Your passion shows everyday here. When i did play years ago it was very casual and I didn't care if i played or not. Now that i am back into playing it is all i think about . Being involved with THP has taken golf to a whole new level for me. I love reading all the reviews,events and what THPers are playing or getting for new equipment. It is exciting and super fun to be around.

My wife now plays along with my son in law and all three grandkids! Friday nights in the summer are usually range night for the family. It is a great game and i am loving the journey i am on.

Oh man thank you. I didnt start this thread for those kind words, but thank you.
Glad to hear the family is along for the ride and it was a pleasure to meet you this year.

I love this post, except the -5 hours part hehe.

I would say you are the embodiment of what is a THPer!

I started playing as a teenager and over the years my interest and passion has continued to grow. In my early 30's I got into club building because I have always liked to tinker, but I was intrigued by the club designs, how certain shafts and club pairings just "worked", etc. This passion/hobby has allowed me to meet some great people along the way and have some great conversations about clubs, technology, rules, courses pretty much everything. Now that my kids are older and have become involved, it will provide another avenue for us to spend time together as they continue down their paths in life.
The beauty of this game no matter the level you play is that it will be different every day. From the solitude of playing as a single to meeting new people to old friends. You get to share in the adventure and create stories to share.

The majority of my rounds this year are as a single and early. The peace/quiet and feeling of the early outdoors is my favorite part of golf right now.

Even though I prefer to play with others, I really love the times I play solo rounds & can take time to soak in the sights & sounds around me. I find it very therapeutic. And I seem to be getting better at relaxing while I'm playing now.

I have let the equipment side pass me by, to be honest. I just can't keep up with the new gear, as much as I try. not being able to see in hand probably 75% of it plays a part in it.

The part that keeps me coming back, is the drive to improve. Shooting a good score one night, then one not as good..... it makes me want to be better. Nothing better than a well struck ball, a center of the fairway tee shot, or a drained putt.

I love those 2-4 hours on the course when it is quiet in the morning. The conversations are often hilarious, and never about work (which is super important).

As much as I want to improve, and I do practice a lot to keep getting better, lately I'm finding that shooting lower scores is not really what's motivating me. What I really enjoy the most is the feeling of hitting the shot I envisioned in my mind. The feeling of a well-struck ball, and watching it go on the path I intended.

One thing I love about THP is how golf can unite essentially strangers, and how many close friendships are formed while playing different events.

It keeps me out of the bars, and consequently, out of jail.

Even though I prefer to play with others, I really love the times I play solo rounds & can take time to soak in the sights & sounds around me. I find it very therapeutic. And I seem to be getting better at relaxing while I'm playing now.

As much as I want to improve, and I do practice a lot to keep getting better, lately I'm finding that shooting lower scores is not really what's motivating me. What I really enjoy the most is the feeling of hitting the shot I envisioned in my mind. The feeling of a well-struck ball, and watching it go on the path I intended.

One thing I love about THP is how golf can unite essentially strangers, and how many close friendships are formed while playing different events.

This is me.

I started playing in 1989 but for over 20 years it was just to get out and have fun while enjoying the beauty of a golf course. I maybe played 4 rounds of golf a year since it competed with half a dozen other summer sports I played at that time. Those slowly dropped off as I started wanting to play more and more golf (~2013). I realized that I wanted not just to play golf but to be good at golf. That has become a bit of an obsession for me and I'm working very hard to get better at this game. I don't know how far my talent will take me but I do know that I love this game, love reading about new gear and would love to test equipment if I had the means to buy more gear. All of it is just a blast for me!

Oh do I have passion for the game! I am definitely addicted! I love everything about it. I like the thought of new equipment, new clothes, new courses, meeting new people.

I can play by myself, I can play with strangers, I can play golf with all levels of handicaps. I just want to play! I played 50 holes last Sunday!

I am so blessed and grateful to have found this forum. I am blessed to have been able to participate in the budget golf tournament in Scottsdale last year. I love the threads, I love being able to discuss rounds of golf, questions about the rules, questions about game improvement, and so much more.

It is such a crazy game, I went from around a 10 handicap up to a 14. I had lost it, struggling to break a hundred, 10 penalty shots per round wasn't uncommon, losing many golf balls per round was not uncommon. I posted a lot in the trying to break 90 thread, I started the trying to break 85 thread, I got a lot of advice and encouragement from many of you. Now I am honestly thinking I can break 80 once in awhile! Thp helped me to do this!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I can relate completely @JB - I didn't pick up the game until after college when I was looking for something to stay active with and still enjoy competition. In my 20's and 30's I took the game too seriously. I became a pretty decent player and could even break par from time to time, but I got to where I didn't enjoy the game because I could follow up a 70 with a 90 the following week. I dropped the game for about 10 years and just got back into the game when I joined THP about 2 years back. I am LOVING EVERYTHING about the game this time around. I am a hack, but still have so much fun playing. And this is 100% honest - this community is a big part of why I am enjoying it more than ever!

Loving this thread, I think this is a very interesting discussion
o.png

So yesterday and today were just the worst rounds I have played in a long time. Today I even asked myself why I play the game of golf, bc it was going so bad. Then I think about my grandfather and the question posed. I started this game when I was 10 years old and fell in love with it and even having 2 bad rounds, especially the one today, the game makes me think about how my body moves, how the club impacts the ball, how each lie was or is, how far can I hit this club, what club should I use for this yardage. This game is so mental and a challenge and one of the reasons I fell in love with it and still love it so much to this day. I know I can do better and I know that I can change so many little things to make my swing good or bad. I guess what I'm getting at is that no matter what you do, you never play the same.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The reason I love golf is the same reasons so many people tell me they hate it.

It's too hard. It's too slow.

I love everything about it and THP has only enhanced that by infinity. Proud to be a THP'er.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I love the challenge of getting better and willing myself to single digits even with not much natural talent. (was a mid 90's golfer all my life till 2015)

Back