Favorite compliment received on the golf course

darthweasel

Reaction score
Handicap
Historically speaking I have had the subtle touch of a steam driven sledgehammer on chips around the green. No delicate touch of a master for this guy...I pound that smurf into submission...or more likely have a beautiful 30' chip when I need 10' but make up for it with a 5' chip when I need to go 30'. Well, recently I watched the Mickelson short game video, practiced it, watched it again, practiced some more.

Last night I was playing behind a guy that was waiting on a group so on hole 2, 3,4,5,7 and 8 he was able to see my approach shots. On nine he asks me to play in with him (just a 9 hole course). He pulls his driver and hits two balls both to just inside the 150 marker, maybe a 160 yard drive. I pull my driver and blast it 275, albeit a bit left leaving me a triangle of rough to fly. He leaves both approach shots short, picks one up and chips the other on while I use my Mickelson-approved method, miss my spot by a couple yards and leave myself above the hole on a green notorious for being very, very hard to stop a ball close to the hole...it slants heavily back to front. I am a "die it in the hole" putter and manage to roll it just 2' past the cup on my 10' down and sidehiller. I tap that in for a par.

As we are walking off, he says, "You have beautiful touch around the greens."

Anyone who has played with me through the years just fell out of their chairs laughing. And that extends to most parts of life...when I played racquetball, I hit It so hard I routinely broke racquets from hitting the ball...not floors or walls in frustration, the ball...when I bike I was considered Anyone who has played with me since watching those videos probably nodded and is like, "yeah, he actually does."

Funny part is...this round is in many ways among the most irrelevant rounds I will ever play. Playing solo, cannot record for handicap. Was scuffling with my swing...bad tee shots on 1, 1 again (a dead pull left hook over the houses followed by a power fade under a shrub), a fat hit on 2, a blast that got caught in the trees on 6...so I was working on punch shots (1 and 6), long bump and runs (3), wedges...it was neither a particularly good nor abominably bad round (6 over for 9), I did not drive any of the greens (I have driven 1,3,6,8 and 9, all of which are par 4s, at one point or another)

But it was so much validation from someone I don't know that the work I am putting in is showing in demonstrable ways. Just having some random say I had good touch...ah yeah.

"you look very sexy in that shirt."

-Mrs. blugold

"Nice shot" is about as far as it goes for me. Nothing about my game sends compliments flying my way. Maybe I need to find a better crowd hmm

"I had a great time, let's do it again sometime."

A guy I know once commented to me, with no prompting whatsoever, "You have a very well-organized golf bag".

So I got that going for me.

There is no better compliment to me than one about my short game. I've had more compliments about my short game this year and I absolutely love it.

Anytime someone say "Nice shot" after I hit out of a bunker.

I played in a charity scramble for the MACC Fund. Each team was paired with a "local celebrity." Our team was assigned a long-time sports writer, who was a tremendous guy and amazing story-teller. Anyways, once we get to know each other a little better, and we've had a little booze, he said to me as I approached the tee, "That's a very fashionable outfit you've got there. Did you put that together all by yourself?"

Played the final few holes with a twosome that we caught up to and once we finished 18 they asked if I were a scratch golfer. I hit the ball really well those few holes, made me feel good even through I'm nowhere near that.

"You have one of the smoothest swings I have ever seen."

I have heard that from several different people over the years and am dang proud of it.

When I was in high school a friend of my father and I, who we played with pretty much every week, said to me on multiple occasions....

.. "Son, if you could putt, you would be a hell of a golfer."

I think that's why I can't putt to this day. He got in my head way too much

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have been told twice by someone that I made the greatest par they had ever seen. One was after 3 absolutely horrible shots before chipping in from 40 yards to a hole that I couldn't see due to the rise in the green to make par. The 2nd time it was my 3rd shot after a penalty stroke and I hit the approach through a gap in some trees over a creek to about a foot from the hole for a tap in.

Umm, nothing..... except the occasional.... 'that was actually a good shot' ... the key word 'actually' translates to surprisingly

Some lady told me it was "sexy" me hitting a drive above 280 over a pond... in front of her husband. The look on her husband's face.... awkward.

"Nice shot" is about as far as it goes for me. Nothing about my game sends compliments flying my way. Maybe I need to find a better crowd hmm

Wow, you already forgot how I thought you looked very sexy in that shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some lady told me it was "sexy" me hitting a drive above 280 over a pond... in front of her husband. The look on her husband's face.... awkward.

Damn...she was gawking over you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard that was one heck of a drive....but the fairway is over there.

Coming in on #9 at one of the nearby courses, I had hit my tee shot into trouble on the left, had to just hack out to get near the fairway, then left my third just short of the front bunker. The restaurant patio overlooks the 9th green, and there was a pretty large group sitting around a few tables enjoying their drinks and such, and it didn't even enter my mind that they might be watching. Well I hit a really good shot with my 60*, over the bunker, landed soft and rolled right to the hole, but lipped out leaving the ball about 2" from being in. Only time in my life I've ever had a good sized group of people clap, whistle and cheer for a shot of mine. Kind of embarrassing, especially since I still bogied the hole.

It was last year, late in the evening with the sun well below the hills. I was playing in our work league, and we were trying to finish out 18 long after most reasonable people were heading in. I had pulled out the LED golf ball for the last hole because it was the only way to see my shot. It lights up, and really bright too for about 10 min when it detects impact then turns off giving you plenty of time to find it, but it's about 10 yards shorter than every other ball, and after a few impacts they seem to fail.

18 on our league course has a huge lake between the fairway and the green. I hit my drive really well (for that ball) and had 130ish remaining. I hit the 9 (my normal club) and land on the fringe of the green just past the lake (forgot this ball was 10 short). As we came up to the green five or six groups that were driving off the course behind us stopped when they saw this bright glowing ball on the fringe.

I chipped this bright blue shining meteor, it flew through the air for about 8 yards, then jumped straight into the hole, illuminating the hole and the white part of the base of the flagstaff. I got a huge round of applause, and I felt like an open champian!

Whiskey

Last year, while playing much better than this season, I played a game vs a +3. Straight up, very small stakes. I was playing well, very consistently.

He beat me in tough, windy conditions but only by a couple of strokes. He said that considering the conditions, he was happy with his own play. Wrt mine and future club matches he said, "you're really tough, you'll be one to watch out for."

Meant a lot. He could certainly have played better, I could've played worse. But he didn't see the best of me either, so it felt pretty good just the same.

So I promptly paid my debt with a sandwich and a beer along with a satisfied to lose grin, considering.

Probably weekend just gone from the head chef after doing some bunker stuff.

'you have such lovely soft hands for a big lump of human'

I'll take it

Last winter I caught up with a young man on a par three that requires a 160yd carry over a lake. I asked him if I could join or pass, he said go ahead and pass, he wasn’t really playing, he had two sets of irons he trying out. I struck the ball pretty well, hit my target just left of the green. He said “ you have a very nice swing”. For a guy who has the dexterity of the tin man this was complement gold, I played the remainder of the round on a cloud.

Last edited:
The funniest comment I had was a couple of years ago I went out after work to play 18 and joined up with a fella that was about half my age. He was from out of province and was in the Air Force and could really play his ball. I can’t recall but I believe he was a 2 or 3 handicap at the time but he said he had been a plus in his past. Anyway I was playing pretty good and I recall after hitting our drives on 9 and walking up the fairway to our balls he said you hit the ball really well for someone your age. For some odd reason I asked him how old he thought I was, and his response was “close to 50”! I am not sure if he was serious but his response made me feel very sprite as I was approaching 60 at the time. I admit I had a little more jump in my step for the remainder of that round.

Back