Playing behind low cappers is awful

darthweasel

Reaction score
Handicap
Went out for super twilight round at good old Red Tail. Got matched up with a guy and his (grown)son on the front, we are waiting every shot but it was a good time, good peeps. We were doing all the usual...sanding our divots, repairing every ball mark we saw on the green, tossing our trash in the can. They drop off after 9 as did the two groups ahead of them. Cool, I like where this is headed. Play 10, end up waiting on 11. Foursome plays half of ten, sees me waiting, skips ahead to 13. Turns out the two guys I am waiting on are an instructor and his student working on a trouble shot. They step aside, I play 11 and 12, this group is just leaving the 13th green.

I am waiting for them by the time I tee off 14 and get to hear some of their conversation. And brags. No doubt they were good. They were playing from a hair over 6600 yards and playing well. They were mostly hitting the green on the par 3 that was playing 191 from my box, so over 200 from theirs. They were mostly on or around the fairway, a lot of GIR. A lot of smack talk about "birdie gets you nothing, %^&*(" and having a good time.

They also were the absolute worst on the course. Take a giant divot? That is good for the laugh, zero chance they are using the sand buckets. I saw several shots hit the green, 1 ball mark repaired. Spitting sunflower seeds on the green. Oh, and my personal favorite...as I am waiting for them to tee off, I watch all four of them grab the paper cups from the water cooler, suck down water, and throw the cups on the ground. To appreciate exactly how asinine this is, let me paint a picture. As I stand looking at the cooler, the garbage can is one foot to the right. They threw the cups BETWEEN the cooler and the trash can.

Like, really?

I will likely never be confused with a good golfer. Something is always not working. Hole 13 is a fine example. Hit my 3w with a gentle draw 241 down the right center. All day my tee game was well above average for me. I avoided the water left and the water straight and long. I had straight line at the flag that avoided both bits of sand. I had one of my favorite clubs in hand. I proceeded to skull it 76 yards. No worries, that would be my "hit to a number" 95 yard wedge. Which I thought I just nutted...only to watch it come down 70 yards later on the upper edge of the sand where I had no stance. From the perfect drive to a double...

But I will take that over being the low capper as these guys claimed (and had the game) to be, who cuts in front, slows people down, doesn't care for the course, throws trash on the ground. Good for them having fun. Good for them being good. Bad for them being everything bad about golf. Oh, and those holes they skipped? When I was walking off 18, they were halfway down hole 10...you know, the hole they left half played to skip ahead of people.

This is a pretty broad reaching blanket statement about low caps.....if we are going to just start throwing around stereotypes because of some bad seeds, id imagine that this thread could get a bit ugly. To be fair, i totally agree with you. Those guys are completely incompetent pricks. But, i wouldnt go lumping in all low caps into one category unless you want people to start pointing out the stereotypes of high cappers. Both have their stereotypes but both groups also have a ton of golfers who know better.

I my very humble opinion this has nothing to do with skill, but how these asshats were raised and live life.

I have never noticed any correlation between the type of behavior you observed (not uncommon at all in my experience) and the handicaps of the players.

Especially on the occasions when I play public courses rather than at my own club, the hacker version is especially common. Except when it's a bunch of bad players they do all the stuff you mention as well as playing 2-3 balls off every tee and then searching endlessly in the woods or rough for them.

This is a pretty broad reaching blanket statement about low caps.....if we are going to just start throwing around stereotypes because of some bad seeds, id imagine that this thread could get a bit ugly. To be fair, i totally agree with you. Those guys are completely incompetent pricks. But, i wouldnt go lumping in all low caps into one category unless you want people to start pointing out the stereotypes of high cappers. Both have their stereotypes but both groups also have a ton of golfers who know better.

Ha, yeah, title sure seems click-baity. Perhaps intentionally so? Or in response to the "high cappers play slow" discussion in another thread? But I agree with you you too: D-bags are D-bags no matter their handicap.

Quality of play has no bearing on being an asshat.

Asshat's gonna asshat.

I don't understand why this has to do with being a low handicap?

They are just straight up arseh@#£2. Handicap is a correlation for these but it's not a causation

Agree with PKorf - probably don’t want to label these guys as “low cappers” as if having a low HC makes someone an uncaring a**hole.

But these kind of people...just wish your course had a ranger who was an actual Army Ranger and would just beat some sense into them. Just no excuse not to take care of the course

For clarification purposes, all the low caps I have played with were not asshats.

For clarification purposes, all the low caps I have played with were not asshats.

I play with low, scratch, and + players pretty much all the time and this never happens.

Yeah I don't think it has anything to being a low capper as it does with them being douchebags... High cappers could likely be even worse cuz they just want to go and drink a bunch of beer, leave cans everywhere and cigarette butts, and don't keep pace of play

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This thread is fun.
I was behind a Toyota Prius that was driving slow in the left hand lane last week.
I was behind another one that was driving slow yesterday in the left.

Therefore anybody that drives a Prius drives too slow and lane squats in the left lane.

This thread is fun.
I was behind a Toyota Prius that was driving slow in the left hand lane last week.

Therefore anybody that drives a Prius drives too slow and lane squats in the left lane.

I laugh at Prius drivers who drive like it’s NASCAR

Etiquette is not exclusive to skill

Yeah I don't think it has anything to being a low capper as it does with them being douchebags... High cappers could likely be even worse cuz they just want to go and drink a bunch of beer, leave cans everywhere and cigarette butts, and don't keep pace of play

Anyone that steps on a course can do this. It has nothing to do with ability.

As Hammy said, an Asshat is gonna Asshat no matter how they play

This thread is fun.

To be honest, they might have been flailing that flashlight for all it was worth and had reached terminal velocity.

This thread is fun.

lol.....i think we determined that they HAD to go slow cause they were in a Prius and didnt have much of a choice in the matter. But i digress....

lol.....i think we determined that they HAD to go slow cause they were in a Prius and didnt have much of a choice in the matter. But i digress....

You drive a Prius don't you.......

Playing behind low cappers is awful

You drive a Prius don't you.......

If anyone ever sees me IN a Prius let alone own one, know that I’m in need of some major intervention and probably having some sort of mental breakdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I only want to play with mid-caps now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Skill and pace of play / respect of course has absolutely no correlation. I play regularly with a 2, an 8 and a 12 and we can get around the course in under 3 hours easily. Also, I play with other groups that are all high handicappers and we get around quickly and all take great care of the course. But, I've played with low, mid and high cappers that have no freaking clue about anything around them - slow, not repairing ball marks and divots, rude, etc.

Your generalization is not accurate.

This thread is fun.

I was under the impression that a Prius topped out at 50 mph and was slow in any lane

Back