Cart use with non-member?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok I got another one for you all that I'm sure will stir up some debate. Let me just say the general answer is going to be, "ask the golf course staff", but I'm still curious for thoughts from you guys. My local golf course which I am NOT a member of offers a loyalty program. You get x amount of points for x amount of dollars spent. Long story short at 800 points you get a free month of golf. I'm going to get there soon.

Golf carts aren't included in that free month of membership and cost $20 for 18 holes; however, I often golf with a friend who doesn't have a membership and the cart is included with there green fee. If I just ride with them do I owe a cart fee still in your opinion? Or is it basically everytime I bring a friend...bank it!?

The cart fee is per person and should be paid accordingly. There are courses that let it slide from time to time, but it’s viewed like this. If two people pay for golf, one doesn’t get a discount because the other paid for the cart.

Usually cart fee is per person, not cart. If that course is the same way, I’d say your on the hook for the cart fee.

Usually cart fee is per person, not cart. If that course is the same way, I’d say your on the hook for the cart fee.

Which makes sense...

Sounds like I'll be doing alot of walking that month.

Is the per-person cart fee an American thing? I've never seen anything other than full tilt, 2 people or not

Is the per-person cart fee an American thing? I've never seen anything other than full tilt, 2 people or not

A single can't get a cart?

In the UK a cart is a cart, if you pay for it you pay the full whack, single or not.

A single can't get a cart?

I’ve seen the “cart fee is the same whether you’re a single or two people” thing once or twice in the US. Usually at a resort course or something. And not recently.

It seems weird that they’d leave money on the table, as I’d for sure not be paying $40 or whatever they were looking for.

I surely don’t pay a cart fee at my club for my daughter to tag along.

A single having to pay double for a cart would seem ludicrous and hopefully drive down membership at that club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the UK a cart is a cart, if you pay for it you pay the full whack, single or not.

Exactly, $32 (or whatever) for 1 person or $32 for 2 people

this per-person thing I only see with ski resort hotels, it's BS just tell me what the price is

Exactly, $32 (or whatever) for 1 person or $32 for 2 people

this per-person thing I only see with ski resort hotels, it's BS just tell me what the price is

Most here, its not renting a card. Its X amount to walk (if courses allow it) or Y amount to ride. Simple.

My course has it per person as well. A full cart gets a small “discount” (20 per person) whereas a single pays more (24 for a single I think).

I’d say you are on the hook for the cart fee

My course has it per person as well. A full cart gets a small “discount” (20 per person) whereas a single pays more (24 for a single I think).

I’d say you are on the hook for the cart fee

My course is $16 pp for a cart. No discount for 2.

I haven’t seen a per cart fee in a long, long time.

I’d say you owe but like you said my answer will be to ask them. Around here most courses include price of a cart on certain days and times, but you’re welcome to walk but no discount to do so. Sometimes on weekdays or later in the day on a weekend, the price is split out.

I’d say you owe but like you said my answer will be to ask them. Around here most courses include price of a cart on certain days and times, but you’re welcome to walk but no discount to do so. Sometimes on weekdays or later in the day on a weekend, the price is split out.

I mean it's definitely a discount to walk. I don't pay anything to walk in my free month. I'd pay $20 for the cart. Every round I play is discounted by $20 if I walk.

Most here, its not renting a card. Its X amount to walk (if courses allow it) or Y amount to ride. Simple.

I usually see £X is green fee then trolley hire, buggy hire, whatever hire is extra. Shows you that walking is the norm over here in the UK at the vast majority of clubs.

At my club, if you are a member and walk you pay nothing and non pay greens fees. If you are a member and do not own your own cart is $1 a hole to rent. If you own your own cart you owe trail fees for the year and/or storage fees which are dependent if gas or electric cart. If I were to ride with a member that owns their own cart I owe for how many holes I ride even though im not using a club owned cart.

If I were to grab a club owned cart and another member that doesn't own a cart ride with me in that club owned cart, we each owe how many holes we play.

my thoughts as well

No matter how many people are in the cart one cart is still going out there. So could a fourball be made up of four carts??

My home course is per person. $12 for 18 holes.

Same here, my experience is per person.

Here it depends on the course.

Sometimes they let it slide and it is a free cart.
Usually though, $32 for a cart, typically $16 per person.

I have played courses where if a single is on the cart though it is full rate $32 for the single.

Most UK courses (but not all nowadays) consider walking the norm. They offer "buggy rentals" if someone wants it but, yes, it is pretty much treated like a rental car. It costs what it costs.

My experience is limited (only having played a couple dozen UK courses) but I don't recall ever seeing separate green fees for "walking" vs. "riding". The green fee is a green fee and you rent the cart as a separate add-on. Just like hiring a trolley or power trolley if you're a walker (which virtually every UK course offers).

There's not a whole lot I'd like about living in UK rather than USA but for the moment at least golf is still centered around walking. Which would be wonderful to me. But I doubt that lasts much longer.

I like this policy. I really dislike making both pay for a cart. And some courses don't like if you're a twosome and take two carts instead of sharing.

Back