Cart use with non-member?

I remember a time where it was a certain cost per cart regardless of how many people were in it. But, that was so long ago, I can't quite peg when it changed. It has been per person for a very long time now. $16 per person for 18 and $10 per person for 9.

What if I'm walking and pushing my cart and I hop in a cart with the random single I'm paired with to ride up a hill or after we both hit long(ish) drives? Should I go pay the pro shop a pro-rated amount for that little bit I rode?

If I were to ride with a member that owns their own cart I owe for how many holes I ride even though im not using a club owned cart.

That sounds ridiculous. If you borrow clubs from a friend, do they charge you for rental clubs?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What if I'm walking and pushing my cart and I hop in a cart with the random single I'm paired with to ride up a hill or after we both hit long(ish) drives? Should I go pay the pro ship a pro-rated amount for that little bit I rode?

That sounds ridiculous. If you borrow clubs from a friend, do they charge you for rental clubs?

Now your splitting hairs. Just use common sense, if you hop in to ride up a hill its probably not a big deal. If you start to walk and get away from the club house then hop in and play several holes you owe for the cart. Just like the game, just gotta be honest.

As far as riding in a members cart, your using a cart on the course your gonna get charged for it. Its essentially a trail fee. Its nothing new and everyone does it.

My club is per person. I have a cart plan so I pay for mine up front in my monthly dues, but if I have a friend from another ClubCorp course join me he pays the $20 cart fee.

If a non-member/guest joins me, they pay the full guest fee which includes cart and range balls. There is no discount on the guest fee if they choose to walk.

I guess my Daddy went overboard in teaching me his version of honesty. If I'm walking and "hop on" a cart for rides up a couple hills on a hot day I stop off at the pro shop after the round and pay a cart fee. But then again I value the $15 less than I value NOT being seen as a cheapskate free-rider trying to take advantage of a situation.

And to be fair, I'm usually playing at my own club and the club can always put the few extra dollars to good use!

My course just assumes you are renting a cart with the green fee so unless you say your walking the cart fee is already added. So it's an added $13 per person.

I've seen it both ways around here. At public courses that I play they usually price it two ways, option #1, $XX to walk, $XX to ride, flat fee. Option #2 is usually priced at $XX to walk, and then have a cart fee listed separate of $XX and if two people are in that cart it's that price per person. So if it's $16 both guys pay $16 but if you are a single you only pay $16.

I've seen it both ways around here. At public courses that I play they usually price it two ways, option #1, $XX to walk, $XX to ride, flat fee. Option #2 is usually priced at $XX to walk, and then have a cart fee listed separate of $XX and if two people are in that cart it's that price per person. So if it's $16 both guys pay $16 but if you are a single you only pay $16.

I see that 2 ways
1. half price for a single
2. double dipping for 2 riders

This is how my course operates;

My course charges $10 per seat, so singles aren't on the hook for a full cart fee. Pairing people in the same cart when possible.

If someone owns their own cart, and has paid track fees there is no extra charge for anyone riding in that cart, as long as its only 2 people.

But if its club owned, you would owe for half the cart even if someone has the cart membership.

Last edited:
Pay cart fee. You said the cart fee was not included in membership so that means the course expects to get paid if you use a cart.

If I am in cart and someone is walking in my group I offer them rides up hills or between long distances to next hole. When I walk someone always offers me a ride but I always decline, not for moral reasons just because I want to walk. The only time I would think to jump on a cart is if our group has pace issue and a quick ride would help out. I mostly only walk courses that I have played before so when I know a long walk to next tee is coming I tell my playing partners that I am going to finish putting out and start the walk so I am not rude by just leaving.

The only time I encountered someone that walked then jumped on cart was because they were close to heat stroke in the desert. I was ok with him not paying cart fee as he rode back the last 2 holes with cold towel on his head as we finished (his choice).

Or my personal favorite, the courses which say "Green fee $40, Cart fee $20". When I say I want to walk they tell me, "Sorry, carts are required. No walking allowed. It will be $60".

I quit years ago bothering to ask what, exactly, that posted "Green fee $40" was supposed to mean!

I see that 2 ways
1. half price for a single
2. double dipping for 2 riders

All perception. They typically charge a certain rate for a cart and hope that they can double up riders. The first option I posted just hides the cost of the cart. I’m cheap, if it’s allowed I will always walk. If not I will search online for deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I surely don’t pay a cart fee at my club for my daughter to tag along.

A single having to pay double for a cart would seem ludicrous and hopefully drive down membership at that club.

A few years ago I inquired about this at the public course I play at as my daughter (7-8 years old at the time) wanted to come along sometime just to see what it was like. The course is set up as riding only, pay the 45/55 fee and you get 18 with a cart. The guy I asked was pretty honest about it. He said if it was during a peak time and if I was playing as a single, they would have to charge me an extra cart fee since they had limited carts, but if I came in the afternoon or a weekday when it wasn't crowded they wouldn't care as they would have plenty of carts available.

Back in NY at the local state course (Rockland Lake), a single would have to pay full boat for a solo cart.

Even though I was a walker then, I know this because when I was rehabbing a torn achilles and looking to ride as a single, they wanted $40 or so for the cart. Nonsense.

As to the OP, as stated, it's on you to pony up.

But when I have a cart and am solo, on hot days when I've seen a random playing partner struggling somewhat, I've coaxed them into my cart.

If before the turn, I'll tell the proshop that it was my doing. Never had anyone have issue with it.

What if I'm walking and pushing my cart and I hop in a cart with the random single I'm paired with to ride up a hill or after we both hit long(ish) drives? Should I go pay the pro ship a pro-rated amount for that little bit I rode?
No, unless you do it more than occasionally during the round. Common sense applies here.

When we ran our course and we had a walking only fee, you would learn who would abuse the hop into the cart because of a hill exception, and instead hop into their buddies cart as soon as it was out of sight of the clubhouse.

No, unless you do it more than occasionally during the round. Common sense applies here.

When we ran our course and we had a walking only fee, you would learn who would abuse the hop into the cart because of a hill exception, and instead hop into their buddies cart as soon as it was out of sight of the clubhouse.

Years ago there was a guy at my club who liked to do that. Everyone put up with it for a while but when he started making a habit of him people quit letting him hop on and told him to go pay the stupid cart fee if he wanted to ride.

So then he started whining about having to pay a cart fee but share a cart. Not the most popular guy among his fellow members for that and other reasons. When he quit the club to go play some place cheaper I don't think any tears were shed.

I haven't read the whole thing but the issue is that you don't pay a green fee for a month but you'd have to pay $20 for a cart if you ride. Yes, you owe the $20 for the cart or walk. There shouldn't be much a question.

I haven't read the whole thing but the issue is that you don't pay a green fee for a month but you'd have to pay $20 for a cart if you ride. Yes, you owe the $20 for the cart or walk. There shouldn't be much a question.

OP here again. Here's where I don't feel as bad. Let me give you this exact example from my course...

It's $25 to golf a full 18 after 4:30 PM. As a member OR in this free month, it's $20 to rent the cart. So with that logic they're charging $5 for people to golf...? It's a racket...you guys are definitely good people on these forums always trying to protect the club, but cmon that's a scam lol. It's why I haven't bought a membership with this club and their club membership is very reasonable, but it's only going to save me $5 when I typically play which is after work M-F.

A few years ago I inquired about this at the public course I play at as my daughter (7-8 years old at the time) wanted to come along sometime just to see what it was like. The course is set up as riding only, pay the 45/55 fee and you get 18 with a cart. The guy I asked was pretty honest about it. He said if it was during a peak time and if I was playing as a single, they would have to charge me an extra cart fee since they had limited carts, but if I came in the afternoon or a weekday when it wasn't crowded they wouldn't care as they would have plenty of carts available.
I guess I've been sheltered as I have never been asked to share a cart as a single with another single at a public course or pay an additional fee to ride solo.

OP here again. Here's where I don't feel as bad. Let me give you this exact example from my course...

It's $25 to golf a full 18 after 4:30 PM. As a member OR in this free month, it's $20 to rent the cart. So with that logic they're charging $5 for people to golf...? It's a racket...you guys are definitely good people on these forums always trying to protect the club, but cmon that's a scam lol. It's why I haven't bought a membership with this club and their club membership is very reasonable, but it's only going to save me $5 when I typically play which is after work M-F.

Is there anything else you can get with the loyalty program other than a month's membership? If a $5 a round savings doesn't seem reasonable to you maybe you can keep collecting the loyalty points towards something else that will not seem like a scam.

I have my own cart and am a member at the course intertwined in my neighborhood. I can hop in my cart after work and play all I want, my favorite time to play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Then, and in all seriousness, put your bag on your back and play with those 5 precious dollars in your pocket. The place has to make money, racket or not, to stay in business.
I have a membership & a golf cart that I drive from my house to the range & walk the course. $5 for a cart & not paying for range balls ain’t good for business. But what do I know.

I have my own cart and am a member at the course intertwined in my neighborhood. I can hop in my cart after work and play all I want, my favorite time to play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Same here, if I want/need to get some holes in quicker, I’ll take my cart. I’d much prefer to carry, I play better & enjoy the fellowship more when we walk. Plus, being 38 & everybody else in group is 55+ & they walk I’m not going to ride.

Then, and in all seriousness, put your bag on your back and play with those 5 precious dollars in your pocket. The place has to make money, racket or not, to stay in business.
I have a membership & a golf cart that I drive from my house to the range & walk the course. $5 for a cart & not paying for range balls ain’t good for business. But what do I know.

Well it'd save me $20 not $5, but I think you missed my point. My larger point is it's kind of amazing to me as long as this sport has been around that there isn't just a standard business model. To me they would make a heck of alot more money if they just made carts cheaper, but like I said it'd be almost impossible for me to make up the cost of the membership when a cart is almost the same price as the round of golf at that same time.

For such an established sport what has shocked me as a newcomer is just how UNCLEAR everything is at a golf course. Maybe it's just the courses around here? But there's alot of guess work with policies around a golf course, what costs what, etc. etc.

You're surprised that not every golf course in the world is run the same way? That's not true for restaurants, bars, retail shops, physicians, car dealers or any other business I can think of. What would make golf special?

There's nothing unclear to playing a round of golf. It's your trying to finagle some way to get a cheaper deal that's making it more complicated. Just make a tee time and pay them what they charge you. Then go play golf.

And no, the golf course would not make a "heck of a lot more money" by lowering their prices $20.

Back