Spitting, spitters,...constantly? Why? please stop.

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
The petpeev thread (in which this was mentioned) in combination of what ive seen my last 3 rounds has caused me to talk of this terrible disgusting habit in its own thread.

Playing as a single with all kinds of people there is the occasional constant spitter. and im not even talking a tobacco chewer but simply just spitters who spit as much as a chewer. . I don't know if this terrible habit is the new fad but 3 rounds in a row Ive now come across a spiter in the group and the last round were actually two of them. hence my rant here and discussion of this disgusting new way of life.

I mean its just horrible to be around one who constantly habitually spits. Its just disgusting folks. Tew.tew.tew,tew,tew,tew,tew,tew,tew all day long every few seconds,like a machine gun. On the tee boxes, during play or stoppage anywhere, on the greens (worst of all), etc,.

I don't get this. Why does anyone's club or ball or tee or whatever else have to find rest on the ground, whether on the tee or the green or anywhere on the course in someone's spit!!
Firstly the habit in itself just lacks common courtesy and etiquette. tew,tew,tew,tew…..I even hate it when I watch baseball. But thats not in my physical presence nor will I end up with it on my ball and hand.
Why should anyones ball be on a green and be sitting in someone's spit? or rolling through it, Or your putter rest in it? or any club anywhere? or your placed tee?, etc, etc,. Whats with the darn spitting and especially one who is constantly going at it? Its not that im insulted though it does imo lack some respect but just that its really disgusting to even be around and certainly disgusting it ends up on someone's ball, equipment and transferred to their hand.
I get the occasional one here or there (we are human). But cheeeeeeeeze man... not the constant habitual non stop machine gun who cant even complete a darn sentence without spitting 3 times in between words. IDK its just ridiculous and ive been with this 3 rounds in a row via different people. IDK maybe its me and I have to get with times and begin spitting all over the place constantly. Or maybe every time they spit on the green I should fart in their hat and put it back on their head.

Forgot the, "/rant."

I think I've played with a few who might spit frequently but it's not something I'd personally fixate on so maybe it's more? I'd be more concerned with 'handling' all the insecticides and fertilizers the courses use. The spit seed hulls and/or chew remnants on a tee or green do frost my wick though. As for frequent spitters on the course, maybe allergies to something growing or some chemical the course uses, IDK?

I think I've played with a few who might spit frequently but it's not something I'd personally fixate on so maybe it's more? I'd be more concerned with 'handling' all the insecticides and fertilizers the courses use. The spit seed hulls and/or chew remnants on a tee or green do frost my wick though. As for frequent spitters on the course, maybe allergies to something growing or some chemical the course uses, IDK?

Allergies, for me. If someone is getting grossed out about they may have put the club sole down where I may have hacked something up, then I’m just gonna ask how and if they washed their hands when they went to the bathroom there in those trees

@rollin send me $16

And I’ll get this

b8732df827ac8317b36502fe51fbe1b5.jpg

+1
d.png

I honestly didn't think this thread would gain much support and in fact even expected some backlash sarcasm or any other method.

I was hoping for some glimmer of hope but I guess this is part of society today. And part of what my issue is with it. Society simply lacks many tings nowadays and imo much of which not for the better.
Continuous spitting just like foul language while in an ear shot of other folks is simply a norm now. Its kind of sad really.

cant control or do anything about fertilizers,etc...but what one can control is their constant spitting. Health reasons? is a rare thing for constant spitting. Mostly its just a degusting habit that lacks etiquette and common courtesy.

cant control or do anything about fertilizers,etc...but what one can control is their constant spitting. Health reasons? is a rare thing for constant spitting. Mostly its just a degusting habit that lacks etiquette and common courtesy.

Allergies, for me. If someone is getting grossed out about they may have put the club sole down where I may have hacked something up, then I’m just gonna ask how and if they washed their hands when they went to the bathroom there in those trees

You've got a health issue and that is far from the norm as to most of those who spit to this constant degree. Most people just have a bad habit of doing it plain and simple. Urinating is a necessity similar to your allergy issue. And fwiw I keep wipes with me nor do I pee on my hands and just when has the penis become such a filthy organ. Unless one just had sexual relations our penises (if one washed regularly) are very likely far much cleaner than our hands are.

Constant spitting is just poor etiquette (unless it cant be helped). One may as well spit on your hands if your ball is going to roll through his spit and then you have to lick it up.

I think I probably fall into the category of a "spitter" (no jokes please). If you want to confirm, ask @dthogey, @bmongi1 @jaymo37 (?), @JMB3, @golfnut @jimbetts, @kev, and maybe a couple of other THPers I've played with. It's not something I consciously do, but I'm fairly sure I do it.

@rollin, if the spit on the ground is so gross that you don't want to have to worry about getting it on your ball or hands, then what makes you think the spitter wants to keep it in their mouth? :act-up: I'd rank spitting way below folks who subject others to their 2nd hand smoke. I can wash my hands if I happen to end up in some spit, but it's a little harder to wash my lungs.

I chew in the course so I do spit a lot. Although, almost never do I leave globs that another player would even see let alone have to worry about their ball running through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I chew in the course so I do spit a lot. Although, almost never do I leave globs that another player would even see let alone have to worry about their ball running through.

Right there with you. I quit chewing for a while then decided I enjoyed it way too much.

I chew on the course as well but I’m very aware of where I spit. I don’t spit on the tee box or on the greens. On the fairway, I actually try to spit next to my ball. Sometimes I’ve hit my ball but it only affects me, lol. I have noticed a lot of pros especially DJ rapid fire spitting all over the place. It is a bit of an annoyance when people I’ve played with do a long drawn out hack and spit a huge phlegm wad on the tee box or on the green.

I have a habit of spitting whenever I’m outside. Not nonstop, but enough to notice it myself. I do have seasonal allergies and now I’m curious if the two things are related.

I don’t notice other people spitting, when using dip or otherwise. I just don’t care.

bottom line ….unless it cant be helped (that exception aside which is far and few between) constant spitting is simply poor etiquette. If your in someone's backyard at a bbq gathering are we going to constantly spit as we socialize? I mean really folks. A medical necessity is one thing but too many people simply have a bad habit. And if done enough its disgusting after a while. When one cant manage to complete a sentence with spitting 3 times , Im sorry but that is a terrible habit. It lacks etiquette and common courtesy.

3ad.jpg

funny there :) ......but constant spitting isn't nothing. And thinking it is...is just one more small way in which proves my point on society and its newly accepted lack of etiquettes growing more and more dominant a thing. Perhaps im turning into a grumpy old man but when I was young this is not something I did when in front of others.

funny there :) ......but constant spitting isn't nothing. And thinking it is...is just one more small way in which proves my point on society and its newly accepted lack of etiquettes growing more and more dominant a thing. Perhaps im turning into a grumpy old man but when I was young this is not something I did when in front of others.

Do you really believe that spitting in sports is “new”?

Do you really believe that spitting in sports is “new”?

C'mon..... this isn't baseball or hockey and football which are far more physically exerting and challenging etc and fwiw that has always been disgusting too. But golf is a game often with dress codes and expected levels of behavior etiquettes unlike those other sports. Continuous spitting does not fall in that category of better behavior etiquettes. There is a lack of etiquette, common courtesy and respect displayed in ones constant spitting. I don't necessarily think everyone who does it is a bad person but just that they do lack in etiquette in that small way. Outside of those with possible medical reasons, its a classless act. Its poor etiquette.

C'mon..... this isn't baseball or hockey and football which are far more physically exerting and challenging etc and fwiw that has always been disgusting too. But golf is a game often with dress codes and expected levels of behavior etiquettes unlike those other sports. Continuous spitting does not fall in that category of better behavior etiquettes. There is a lack of etiquette, common courtesy and respect displayed in ones constant spitting. I don't necessarily think everyone who does it is a bad person but just that they do lack in etiquette in that small way. Outside of those with possible medical reasons, its a classless act. Its poor etiquette.

Then I assume you think smoking is also poor etiquette and that has no place in golf and it’s dress code, right?

I got a lotta phlegm. Don’t feel like choking on it.

Because someone spits is no way an indication of society and lack of respect.

If spitting is getting you all riled up then you are focusing on the wrong things. Unless it’s directed at you who cares? As long as they aren’t spitting on the green, I don’t give a ****. If they do spit on the greens just politely ask no to do that and move on.

What about smoking or swearing? Is that indication of society also?

Because someone spits is no way an indication of society and lack of respect.

If spitting is getting you all riled up then you are focusing on the wrong things. Unless it’s directed at you who cares? As long as they aren’t spitting on the green, I don’t give a ****. If they do spit on the greens just politely ask no to do that and move on.

What about smoking or swearing? Is that indication of society also?

foul language is another issue imo when in an ear shot of strangers and folks other than who you are talking to in your circle of the moment. Smoking shouldn't be done around those who take issue with it.

Back