Spitting, spitters,...constantly? Why? please stop.

I’ll comfortably say I disagree whole heartedly with a lot of what is in here but I get why some people might dislike some of it. Thankfully we can pick who we play with most of the time.

None of this thread surprises me. And hence the very problem with society lacking more and more in etiquettes. If no one can see this as yet another small way in which society etiquettes are losing out then I suppose its too late. Just kind of sad really imo is what it is.

None of this thread surprises me. And hence the very problem with society lacking more and more in etiquettes. If no one can see this as yet another small way in which society etiquettes are losing out then I suppose its too late. Just kind of sad really imo is what it is.

2122908f608888efa1920791b70e0a8c.jpg

Bad habits have always been on the course. You can’t blame society. You can’t blame the youth. Life doesn’t work like that.

Change: it isn’t always bad.

2122908f608888efa1920791b70e0a8c.jpg

Bad habits have always been on the course. You can’t blame society. You can’t blame the youth. Life doesn’t work like that.

Change: it isn’t always bad.
To be fair....that was at a time when not only were there not enough info about smoking but actually was considered sexy. Yes that's right, sexy and or sophisticated. Movie stars, celebrities on tv , entertainers, etc, etc think ratpack era (Sinatra, Martin, Sammy) or s ricky Riccardo (desi arnez) "I love lucy". Rock Hudson, Carry grant, etc,etc,The list is miles long including woman with the extended cigs in the long holders. It was a fad and a style that was not seen as what it is today. Where does spitting ever fit in with that logic? It doesn't.

And besides just because people smoke/smoked or do whatever else past or present they may or may not be proper, doesn't for one second make the constant spitting any less disgusting anyway. Its not relevant. "Well people smoke, so we may as well urinate on the tee box". I mean wrong is just wrong regardless what else may be wrong. Constant spitting should not be part of normal good etiquette. I just cant believe that no one sees a constant spitter as something of poor social form. Its just bad taste and its wrong. It shouldn't be considered an acceptable behavior. Are we soon to begin spitting inside too? And yes imo I can blame youth or whomever for changes in society and they are not at all always for the better. Not even close. It would be pretty darn classless if everyone walked around everywhere constantly spitting.

Im sorry folks but I couldn't disagree more. Constant spitting is not the way we should behave as though its a perfectly normal display of good etiquettes. The fact that no one is seeing this is exactly what one small part of the bigger picture problem nowadays with lacking social etiquettes.

Ive said in this thread about all I can basically say about it. Its sad that no one at all sees it this way. In fact some even go as far poke fun of it and even imply that its ridiculous to rant about it. . That (to me) just lends itself further to the notion that changes ion society is not at all always for the better. Many things are worse. The point of debating it is sort of moot and a lost cause for me since too much of society (as displayed in this thread thus far) simply sees this (and many other poorer behavioral things) as perfectly acceptable. Its just too late I suppose. Who knows...perhaps 15 yrs from now it will be acceptable to go to the bathroom anywhere one wishes. Hopefully no ones ball will roll through it.

Last edited:
I don’t exactly play the ritziest of golf courses, 3-4x a week, and I don’t see 1/10 of the stuff mentioned in here on a regular basis.

I did, however, scream an expletive when I missed a shot at finishing even par for the first time in my life today with a bad 3 putt, and I refuse to apologize for that.

Because someone spits is no way an indication of society and lack of respect.

If spitting is getting you all riled up then you are focusing on the wrong things. Unless it’s directed at you who cares? As long as they aren’t spitting on the green, I don’t give a ****. If they do spit on the greens just politely ask no to do that and move on.

What about smoking or swearing? Is that indication of society also?

Hope no one here ever notices Brooks dipping during his rounds or that could open a whole new discussion in his thread.

I don’t exactly play the ritziest of golf courses, 3-4x a week, and I don’t see 1/10 of the stuff mentioned in here on a regular basis.

I did, however, scream an expletive when I missed a shot at finishing even par for the first time in my life today with a bad 3 putt, and I refuse to apologize for that.

I never said its a regular occurrence with all people. I only said I happen to catch 3 rounds in a row with one who does this. The only thing regular is the person who constantly regularly does this all day long.

Allergies, for me. If someone is getting grossed out about they may have put the club sole down where I may have hacked something up, then I’m just gonna ask how and if they washed their hands when they went to the bathroom there in those trees

Same for me...allergies/congestion. I try to spit away from tee boxes and greens and away from people in general. Hopefully I’m not horribly annoying to people I play with.

Same for me...allergies/congestion. I try to spit away from tee boxes and greens and away from people in general. Hopefully I’m not horribly annoying to people I play with.

but you have an issue going on and your making it your business in respecting those around you and the greens, tees etc. .See now that what im looking for. You are trying to maintain good etiquette even though you have an issue. I can respect that a lot. Now how about the people with no issue and pretty much just do their bad habit at will anywhere and anyhow they desire and even right smack in the midst of talking to you at close range. Why? because they lack etiquette. Im not even talking about one who can hack it up occasionally but the constant little spits just nonstop like every minute or even few secs or so. Every so often you come across that person and unfortunately imo only its poor social etiquette.

but you have an issue going on and your making it your business in respecting those around you and the greens, tees etc. .See now that what im looking for. You are trying to maintain good etiquette even though you have an issue. I can respect that a lot. Now how about the people with no issue and pretty much just do their bad habit at will anywhere and anyhow they desire and even right smack in the midst of talking to you at close range. Why? because they lack etiquette. Im not even talking about one who can hack it up occasionally but the constant little spits just nonstop like every minute or even few secs or so. Every so often you come across that person and unfortunately imo only its poor social etiquette.

Problem is you’re taking it personal as if the person is going out of their way to make your round a disaster. You have a certain way or seeing things that most younger people don’t see or care to be told about. That’s where you decision lies: find a place that views the same values you hold as important and to be continued or accept that you’re going to be offended by at least one thing during your round because everyone is different.

Problem is you’re taking it personal as if the person is going out of their way to make your round a disaster. You have a certain way or seeing things that most younger people don’t see or care to be told about. That’s where you decision lies: find a place that views the same values you hold as important and to be continued or accept that you’re going to be offended by at least one thing during your round because everyone is different.
Firstly this doesnt make my a round a disaster. And i dont think those doing this are trying to make my round one. But you see...thats just it though. Thats exactly the problem you hit it on the head and dont even know it. The fact that they dont even for a single second consider what they are doing is anything at all lacking in social behavior etiquette. There in itself lies the very issue (imo). Id almost rather one did it just to piss me off and make my round miserable. Crazy as that sounds and off course Im being sarcastic but at least they have a reason to do it where as they wouldn't otherwise normally do it. In other words even that person would know its not proper etiquette and would only be doing it to bother me. But doing it without even the slightest thought of poor ettiquette is the very issue in itself. It simply not even considered as anything of improper at all. Not even the slightest bit. And that ...with a sarcastic lol...is imo a problem as for which direction society has and continues to head.

Last edited:
So, spitting on the course is a sign that society is doomed?

Interesting take.

Spitting on the course is pretty rank. Spitting in general is pretty rank. Comparing it to smoking is a little bit different, someone accidentally releasing a cloud in your face is nowhere near as bad as someone accidentally spitting on your shoe.

That's my take, I hate it

Interesting take.

The death knell for civilization will be foretold by the "farmer blow" on-course.

Spitting on the course is pretty rank. Spitting in general is pretty rank. Comparing it to smoking is a little bit different, someone accidentally releasing a cloud in your face is nowhere near as bad as someone accidentally spitting on your shoe.

How many times has that happened? I really don’t think it has happened to me and I used to roll with many cavemen types. Now getting smoke blown in my face by accident has happened numerous times and I find that to be messed up.

I'm not going to demonize people who do it, but I agree that it's gross and inconsiderate to other players.

Interesting take.

Apparently a single guy spitting on the course is a sign that we’re doomed.

I guess you're right. One causes lung cancer and the other can be remedied with a paper towel, but you're right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I guess you're right. One causes lung cancer and the other can be remedied with a paper towel, but you're right.

I don't agree with either but spitting just isn't common over here, why was it so bad when Sergio spat in the cup a few years ago? Spitting for the sake of spitting I just don't understand, if you're doing an intense sport I get it. But we are playing golf, not running a marathon

How many times has that happened? I really don’t think it has happened to me and I used to roll with many cavemen types. Now getting smoke blown in my face by accident has happened numerous times and I find that to be messed up.

I'v only played with a smoker a few times and it was irritating, spitting I find simply rude. There is no real need for it, you don't see people walking down the street and spitting so why is it ok to do on a golf course

Its not cool...especially when you have the sunlight in the right position you can see the spit atomize of the micro particles fill the air...similar to a sneeze... close down wind your covered.
I also think a stranger walking by who spits sideways just before passing you is a aggressive action of total disrespect. Just stay away!...Dats my 2 cents.

I don't agree with either but spitting just isn't common over here, why was it so bad when Sergio spat in the cup a few years ago? Spitting for the sake of spitting I just don't understand, if you're doing an intense sport I get it. But we are playing golf, not running a marathon
I spit more while playing golf than running a marathon (or even a half marathon). Hydration is too valuable during a long distance race to make spitting even remotely inviting.

This is a real thread.

planet.gif

Interesting take.

In a small way...yes. Not doomed nor did i say that. But just that it is yet another way in which much of society today is gradually loosing more and more etiquettes as for general behavior. Its possible some people are not understanding the type of spitter Im talking about. As Ive repeated,..Im referencing the occasional person we run into who simply spits habitually and cant even speak to you one sentence without constant spitting. There are plenty that Ive come across who do this. Not a norm from most people but enough do exist. No medial issue or allergies or anything except a bad habit of spitting all over the place almost constantly. If anyone did understand what I am talking about , i find it hard to believe very few (almost no one here except for one or two) see this as any lack of common courtesy and etiquette. That is imo one other small way (in addition to other ways) in which society has changed "not" for the better. Its all the little things when added that do count for a whole lot. A little of this and a little of that and alittle of the other things. Each on thier own means almost nothing to most people, but add them all up and it begins to reflect a different display of over all etiquette. And imo we do lack too much nowadays.

Perhaps 10 yrs from now it will be quite normal and popular to be around groups of people both constantly cursing and spitting while near enough everyone else as though its perfectly expected proper etiquette. That would really make for a pretty attractive and pleasant social gathering environment i suppose. And the perhaps thier children who are gathered across the way are doing the same thing. But hey....its perfectly swell that this is a normal good social behavior right?.

Last edited:
This is a real thread.

View attachment 40498

and hence exactly what i mean. Im not insulted by the sarcasm here as being a grumpy old man. But it just proves my point how we (our etiquettes) have changed not for the better. Not only is this something many see nothing at all wrong with but to even take it a step further and poke fun of the situation just speaks volumes about how out of touch with good etiquettes we really have become. Its sad in a way. If that makes me a grumpy old man then you know what? Im proud if that. Because then that means I am one of a few left who still feels the need for better etiquette in our society. Somebody has to preserve what they can of it.

Back