Spitting, spitters,...constantly? Why? please stop.

and hence exactly what i mean. Im not insulted by the sarcasm here as being a grumpy old man. But it just proves my point how we (our etiquettes) have changed not for the better. Not only is this something many see nothing at all wrong with but to even take it a step further and poke fun of the situation just speaks volumes about how out of touch with good etiquettes we really have become. Its sad in a way. If that makes me a grumpy old man then you know what? Im proud if that. Because then that means I am one of a few left who still feels the need for better etiquette in our society. Somebody has to preserve what they can of it.

So you think everyone should be just like you?

Is whistling rude? Bubble gum?

These social annoyances tend to become what you make of them. I used to chew plug (leaf tobacco) and would split around the course like I was playing baseball, but I agree it is an action that requires tolerance from others.
I still enjoy chewing tobacco, and still feel like it is a disgusting habit. I've given up spittoons and spitting a long time ago because of the consideration of others. (which is even a more disgusting thought for me, but eliminates other's concerns).

Do you hold the fart in, or do you let it rip? That is how I see it. There is a time and a place for both, and neither is something I wish to turn into a big life issue. Furthermore, neither are actions under your control... Unless you're the one chewing/whistling/farting. Respectfully, I just let it go.

So you think everyone should be just like you?
Yes everyone should be exactly like me. That's the whole reason for this thread.

I mean really? C'mon now.

No, you should all be just like the constant spitters.

I need to find a lawn to stand on.

@rollin send me $16

And I’ll get this

b8732df827ac8317b36502fe51fbe1b5.jpg

Ha. This reminded me of this gem of a video.

[video=youtube;Yr9QG-ctphA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr9QG-ctphA[/video]

Maybe society took a downward turn when everybody started getting offended by whatever somebody else was doing that had absolutely nothing to do with the offended person & the offended party decided they were the morale authority on the entirety of the rest of the world & that their opinion was carved on the tablets from on high? I don't know, it's just a thought.

In other words, more accurately relayed, the modern poet Kacey Musgraves,

https://youtu.be/kQ8xqyoZXCc

funny how many just dont get it. Id like to think we in general hold ourselves to a bit more etiquette than that of one who constantly spits for no reason than simply a bad habit and does so with no sense at all of keeping it to a minimum nor concerning for any etiquette about it.

funny how many just dont get it. Id like to think we in general hold ourselves to a bit more etiquette than that of one who constantly spits for no reason than simply a bad habit and does so with no sense at all of keeping it to a minimum nor concerning for any etiquette about it.

You keep talking about “etiquette” on the golf course.

Well from the other threads, I learned that etiquette is mutually exclusive to low handicaps so there is your problem and solution

Maybe society took a downward turn when everybody started getting offended by whatever somebody else was doing that had absolutely nothing to do with the offended person & the offended party decided they were the morale authority on the entirety of the rest of the world & that their opinion was carved on the tablets from on high? I don't know, it's just a thought.

In other words, more accurately relayed, the modern poet Kacey Musgraves,

https://youtu.be/kQ8xqyoZXCc
I'd follow her arrow, that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I personally find it a bad habit to pass judgement upon the actions/habits of others & then demand that they act in only the way I want them to, no matter how ridiculous those demands may be.

I truly envy your life if the only things troubling you is whether or not somebody spits. I mean dang man, some folks got problems but you ain't one of them, to paraphrase Scott Carter.

You keep talking about “etiquette” on the golf course.

Well from the other threads, I learned that etiquette is mutually exclusive to low handicaps so there is your problem and solution
Love the sarcasm.

One thing I think @rollin is missing here is... who defines rude, foul language, bad etiquette, etc.? Obviously, he finds spitting to be poor etiquette. Unfortunately, for him, it seems he's in the minority on this one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Is whistling rude? Bubble gum?

These social annoyances tend to become what you make of them. I used to chew plug (leaf tobacco) and would split around the course like I was playing baseball, but I agree it is an action that requires tolerance from others.
I still enjoy chewing tobacco, and still feel like it is a disgusting habit. I've given up spittoons and spitting a long time ago because of the consideration of others. (which is even a more disgusting thought for me, but eliminates other's concerns).

Do you hold the fart in, or do you let it rip? That is how I see it. There is a time and a place for both, and neither is something I wish to turn into a big life issue. Furthermore, neither are actions under your control... Unless you're the one chewing/whistling/farting. Respectfully, I just let it go.
at least you sem to understand much of this (I think, or not).
Fwiw if too many people let everything go then where do we stand in the future? I mean everything and anything anyone wants to do whenever wherever they want is just ok? There has to be some sense of morals and etiquette that we teach our children and we ourselves display when among each other.
What do you thin the whole collared shirt and or other dress codes at golf courses are about? Thats all part of a way in which to imply an expected level of behavior. It doesnt always work but its why its done. But not just in golf yet society in general. We cant just ignore everything. Society needs certain amounts of etiquette built into it and ingrained so that we can display a good amount of respect and common courtesies to those around us. Why is this such a bad thing to think this way?

I personally find it a bad habit to pass judgement upon the actions/habits of others & then demand that they act in only the way I want them to, no matter how ridiculous those demands may be.

I truly envy your life if the only things troubling you is whether or not somebody spits. I mean dang man, some folks got problems but you ain't one of them, to paraphrase Scott Carter.

Your missing the point by a mile and over exaggerating my issue with it. I didnt treat those constant spitters I had the pleasure of being around any different than anyone else I treat. I was still friendly with them. I didnt call any of them jerks or anything bad.
But what they have is a bad habit. Why in the world is requesting people who do this poor habit to stop such a bad thing? If my kids were to be spitting constantly all day Id certainly be telling them of it. If i was sitting talking to you on your front porch, should i be spitting continuously on your porch? or in general around you? Should we stand outside a restaurant waiting for a table and have everyone esle there spitting all over the place? Should you be lounging on a beech or at a pool and people next to you are spitting continuously and when you get up you step in it barefooted? or whatever, should they be doing that anyway? should we be waiting for a bus and have all others around us spitting all over the place? I mean c'mon man....Its a lack of good respectful social behavior. If im judging it as such then so be it. Someone who does this lacks in that category (when it comes to this specific thing).

Does this mean such a person is outright bad and would leave me to die if i was choking and could help me? no it doesnt , but that doesnt mean they are not lacking etiquette in regards to this. Actually you would be the one judging by suggesting how you may envy me if this only thing in my life troubling me. Thats far more judgmental than myself judging the act I witness enough as being something that lacks etiquette. You see there is a difference,...you dont at all know anything about whats in my life. But at least i do know for a fact that the person has a bad habit because Ive witnessed it. I can judge that part if i want because its real.

Why is a person being more judged and or receiving more criticism for wanting to see society display good common courtesy, respect and etiquette's than those who practice ways in which lack in some areas of those things or to ignore those things? How is the former a problem but not the later? hence the whole troubles here with much of my points.

and fwiw im not angry with anyone here as we debate this. Even though some are even mocking me for it and I could fire back much more intensely personal than i have. But im not looking to do that. I grew up with the teachings of certain etiquettes and it saddens me that i see far less and less of them (at least in my areas of living). Perhaps the issues are far less a thing in other places. IDK maybe thats where alot of the disconnect is coming from. But even then continuous spitting is poor form. Call me crabby, miserable old, judgmental, etc,etc. I dont really care cause i know what Im searching for and what i wish there was more of is a good thing for society not a bad a thing for it.

Your missing the point by a mile and over exaggerating my issue with it. I didnt treat those constant spitters I had the pleasure of being around any different than anyone else I treat. I was still friendly with them. I didnt call any of them jerks or anything bad.
But what they have is a bad habit. Why in the world is requesting people who do this poor habit to stop such a bad thing? If my kids were to be spitting constantly all day Id certainly be telling them of it. If i was sitting talking to you on your front porch, should i be spitting continuously on your porch? or in general around you? Should we stand outside a restaurant waiting for a table and have everyone esle there spitting all over the place? Should you be lounging on a beech or at a pool and people next to you are spitting continuously and when you get up you step in it barefooted? or whatever, should they be doing that anyway? should we be waiting for a bus and have all others around us spitting all over the place? I mean c'mon man....Its a lack of good respectful social behavior. If im judging it as such then so be it. Someone who does this lacks in that category (when it comes to this specific thing).

Does this mean such a person is outright bad and would leave me to die if i was choking and could help me? no it doesnt , but that doesnt mean they are not lacking etiquette in regards to this. Actually you would be the one judging by suggesting how you may envy me if this only thing in my life troubling me. Thats far more judgmental than myself judging the act I witness enough as being something that lacks etiquette. You see there is a difference,...you dont at all know anything about whats in my life. But at least i do know for a fact that the person has a bad habit because Ive witnessed it. I can judge that part if i want because its real.

Why is a person being more judged and or receiving more criticism for wanting to see society display good common courtesy, respect and etiquette's than those who practice ways in which lack in some areas of those things or to ignore those things? How is the former a problem but not the later? hence the whole troubles here with much of my points.

and fwiw im not angry with anyone here as we debate this. Even though some are even mocking me for it and I could fire back much more intensely personal than i have. But im not looking to do that. I grew up with the teachings of certain etiquettes and it saddens me that i see far less and less of them (at least in my areas of living). Perhaps the issues are far less a thing in other places. IDK maybe thats where alot of the disconnect is coming from. But even then continuous spitting is poor form. Call me crabby, miserable old, judgmental, etc,etc. I dont really care cause i know what Im searching for and what i wish there was more of is a good thing for society not a bad a thing for it.

You are completing correct. Spitting bad, makes people sad.

at least you sem to understand much of this (I think, or not).
Fwiw if too many people let everything go then where do we stand in the future? I mean everything and anything anyone wants to do whenever wherever they want is just ok? There has to be some sense of morals and etiquette that we teach our children and we ourselves display when among each other.
What do you thin the whole collared shirt and or other dress codes at golf courses are about? Thats all part of a way in which to imply an expected level of behavior. It doesnt always work but its why its done. But not just in golf yet society in general. We cant just ignore everything. Society needs certain amounts of etiquette built into it and ingrained so that we can display a good amount of respect and common courtesies to those around us. Why is this such a bad thing to think this way?

A good citizen is civilized. I agree. A good citizen should also do their best to influence those they have influence over towards following etiquette and being respectful. For example, a dog owner should feel obligated to have a well behaved pet, same with children at an elevated level. The problem is that as a parent (or dog owner) you will never be those things you love. Educate, discipline... yes all that. It is not my place in society to draw line of expected behavior, and I really have to limit any effort outside of my control towards influencing. I'm better served trying to be an example and putting that effort into myself where I can.

I'm not an urban person and sacrifice in many ways because of it. However, I do maintain some freedoms like being able to spit or pee in the bushes when appropriate without getting into the social gutters. The people I do see around town, I try hard to be civilized with because I know I'll run into them again. Same as everywhere, the neighborhood should adjust to the size of your pond (population).

I just believe it is bad thing to get too wrapped up into this way of thinking. If it bothered me I would say something to the person who I was annoyed with. If it was my child I'd try to influence their behavior more. I just prefer to let it go.

Nature has a way of making you realize what is important in life. Being civilized isn't at the top of my list. A pig (one of the cleanest animals around) will still roll around in mud and eat you (all of you) if it must.

Edit: I wanted to add, I feel like I'm on the complaint train. rollin I'm sincerely not attacking you, just expressing my opinions on the topic and why I do not think it is as important as you might.

What about snot rockets?

It sounds like a behavioral tick of some sort.
I have a friend who makes this yawning sound but not actually yawning every few seconds. Sometimes these ticks are caused by anxiety or stressful situations.
They probably don't even notice that they're sitting constantly.

I side with @rollin on this issue. He has said numerous times that his issue is with the "CONSTANT SPITTERS".
I know some who do this. It is a habit they have developed over time and probably don't realize they are even doing it.
I watch middle and high school boys spit constantly when outside.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It sounds like a behavioral tick of some sort.
I have a friend who makes this yawning sound but not actually yawning every few seconds. Sometimes these ticks are caused by anxiety or stressful situations.
They probably don't even notice that they're sitting constantly.

many people with different habits don't often realize they are doing them. But that still doesn't make it any less wrong and that also wouldn't at all be most. Many simply pick up bad habits. Possibly from others or sort of invented it themselves. There was a time for a while (I recall in my late 20's) where the F-bomb came out of my mouth to the degree that I didn't even realize I was doing it. I couldn't have a conversation without it. I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful but just did it. Someone mentioned it to me once and I began to see it in myself and so I did something about it. I stopped doing it. And since then it no longer was a habit and that poor display of etiquette was improved. Oh sure I can in a private conversation within a group use the word but it will never be within an earshot of others outside the conversation. And it never at all part of my vocabulary in every other sentence on any regular basis. Developing that habit of mine without realizing it never made it ok to do. It was still wrong. (IMO)

many people with different habits don't often realize they are doing them. But that still doesn't make it any less wrong and that also wouldn't at all be most. Many simply pick up bad habits. Possibly from others or sort of invented it themselves. There was a time for a while (I recall in my late 20's) where the F-bomb came out of my mouth to the degree that I didn't even realize I was doing it. I couldn't have a conversation without it. I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful but just did it. Someone mentioned it to me once and I began to see it in myself and so I did something about it. I stopped doing it. And since then it no longer was a habit and that poor display of etiquette was improved. Oh sure I can in a private conversation within a group use the word but it will never be within an earshot of others outside the conversation. And it never at all part of my vocabulary in every other sentence on any regular basis. Developing that habit of mine without realizing it never made it ok to do. It was still wrong. (IMO)

Oh for sure, I wasn’t defending anyone. I too was a spitter on the floor when I was much younger because I thought that was how I can look cool (I’m dumb!!)
Then I was a smoker for 10+ years and I spat a lot because I actually didn’t like the taste of it.
I realized how much I looked like a douche so I consciously stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good citizen is civilized. I agree. A good citizen should also do their best to influence those they have influence over towards following etiquette and being respectful. For example, a dog owner should feel obligated to have a well behaved pet, same with children at an elevated level. The problem is that as a parent (or dog owner) you will never be those things you love. Educate, discipline... yes all that. It is not my place in society to draw line of expected behavior, and I really have to limit any effort outside of my control towards influencing. I'm better served trying to be an example and putting that effort into myself where I can.

I'm not an urban person and sacrifice in many ways because of it. However, I do maintain some freedoms like being able to spit or pee in the bushes when appropriate without getting into the social gutters. The people I do see around town, I try hard to be civilized with because I know I'll run into them again. Same as everywhere, the neighborhood should adjust to the size of your pond (population).

I just believe it is bad thing to get too wrapped up into this way of thinking. If it bothered me I would say something to the person who I was annoyed with. If it was my child I'd try to influence their behavior more. I just prefer to let it go.

Nature has a way of making you realize what is important in life. Being civilized isn't at the top of my list. A pig (one of the cleanest animals around) will still roll around in mud and eat you (all of you) if it must.

Edit: I wanted to add, I feel like I'm on the complaint train. rollin I'm sincerely not attacking you, just expressing my opinions on the topic and why I do not think it is as important as you might.

Good post and while you choose to let it go and for it not be on the top of your list, you at least (it seems to me) understand the reasons for my gripe well enough. Perhaps not to the degree that makes you want to voice about it or do much about it but at least you seem to get it.

You see if we care enough about something we can choose to accept it and do nothing or do something. This is not my life mission but unlike you I do feel much stronger about the things ive mentioned in its larger picture. That being societies lack of etiquette. I feel its a legitimate problem. So this thread, rant, complaint, cry out, whatever we call it is one way in which I can try to do some small thing about it or simply get a feel for just who if any may still feel similarly. Unfortunately its very few. Hence what I see as an issue to begin with.

There is an old saying for when a problem or issue is recognized by a person. "your either part of the problem or part of the solution, and if your not part of solution then your part of the problem". With that in mind most here are not seeing any this as any problem or issue at all. But I do and within a much larger picture consisting of many small things (this being just one of them) all each playing their small part yet collectively all together adding up to an issue I see with society that is not for the better of it. That means a lot to me. I care about that a lot. I cant help it I just do. And so I rant about it. I cant really do much else about it but let it be known and hope others feel the same. And just perhaps maybe that helps. There are a whole bunch of almost meaningless little things that all add up to make up what is either a good or poor etiquette environment within a society. Most little things most people simply ignore, think are ridiculous, even poke fun at. But add them all together and they collectively are indeed what makes up our behavior as a society and not so meaningless anymore.

Imo the golf course is one (of many) places in which good etiquette should be maintained. Fun, laugh, etc...ok in fact great I often have laughs out there and in fact usually offer up reasons to laugh but still done with good behavior etiquette and this one thing (constant spitters) done by just enough people is not consistent with that. It lacks it. Im not going to hate someone for it or treat them badly or anything. But imo it should be noted. Ive spit plenty when needed. But I do it privately as possible and never is it some constant thing all over the place nor on the greens or tees where everyone is at and to be playing the game or simply talking together. I simply poses more etiquette than that.

Its been a good conversation. Im glad no one has really blasted me personally thus far. Though enough have mocked me enough but and that's ok. But perhaps I better let it go before I begin to get attacked for it. Thats what happened to me when I created a thread about how too many use the F-bomb continuously too often while in an ear shot of other folks not in your conversation. That fwiw is also one those small things like this that collectively adds up with the others. That one got so ugly it had to close.
And so...Yes I think im right here on what Im saying as for this topic. Most don't agree and I feel that's a shame because I feel there is much more to it than what most seem to think. there is. But that imo is part of what I see as an issue in the first place. There is nothing I can do but discuss it and try to make the points of why I feel its wrong. I think ive done that best I can. Ill just have to agree to disagree with those who still don't see it the same way as me. Some of those who have this poor habit perhaps will consider more about it as they take to the tees with a group of strangers. Or anywhere in public honestly. If not then what can I say and do? Not much more really.

Last edited:
Its been a good conversation. Im glad no one has really blasted me personally thus far. Though enough have mocked me enough but and that's ok. But perhaps I better let it go before I begin to get attacked for it. Thats what happened to me when I created a thread about how too many use the F-bomb continuously too often while in an ear shot of other folks not in your conversation. That fwiw is also one those small things like this that collectively adds up with the others. That one got so ugly it had to close.
And so...Yes I think im right here on what Im saying as for this topic. Most don't agree and I feel that's a shame because I feel there is much more to it than what most seem to think. there is. But that imo is part of what I see as an issue in the first place. There is nothing I can do but discuss it and try to make the points of why I feel its wrong. I think ive done that best I can. Ill just have to agree to disagree with those who still don't see it the same way as me. Some of those who have this poor habit perhaps will consider more about it as they take to the tees with a group of strangers. Or anywhere in public honestly. If not then what can I say and do? Not much more really.

TBH, I tend to agree with you generally on this topic, this is just something I haven't seen to any extent on the course. The only place I really see people spit with any regularity is longer road races. Which is why I brought that up - you mentioned that it's just one guy - in that case, is this really a "problem"?

TBH, I tend to agree with you generally on this topic, this is just something I haven't seen to any extent on the course. The only place I really see people spit with any regularity is longer road races. Which is why I brought that up - you mentioned that it's just one guy - in that case, is this really a "problem"?

I mentioned its enough people and every so often playing as a single I (mixed with strangers) do come across one on more than enough occasions. And what sparked this thread was that i had coincidentally and unusually had 3 rounds in a row with a constant spitter in the group and the last round had two of them with the bad habit. So while it was something I always found lacking and tasteless not just on the course but in general anywhere it had recently escalated due to the coincidence of it being 3 rounds in a row from 4 different people.

Back